HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT- Caribana in Toronto...

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2005, 12:37 PM

vCash: 500
OT- Caribana in Toronto...

Hey guys...

Sorry to take you away from your prognostications for your beloved Leafs edition 2005-2006...

I just wanted to know how many Toronto residents or non residents are going to the festival?

Considering this is a hockey board, i'm not even sure most of you know about the festival, but i'm betting you do since there are alot of Toronto residents here...

Anyways, i'm going to be going, downtown Toronto will be jam packed, can anyone suggest a place in the GTA that's outside of downtown where I should be able to get a decent hotel room

Also, considering the amount of traffic there's going to be, what mode of transportation should I use while i'm there, i'm driving down, but once I get there, i'd like to avoid as much as possible driving, how's the bus service in and out of the city?

Thanks

Old
07-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
Anyways, i'm going to be going, downtown Toronto will be jam packed, can anyone suggest a place in the GTA that's outside of downtown where I should be able to get a decent hotel room

Also, considering the amount of traffic there's going to be, what mode of transportation should I use while i'm there, i'm driving down, but once I get there, i'd like to avoid as much as possible driving, how's the bus service in and out of the city?

Thanks
Mississauga. Plenty of hotels ranging from the $60/night motels on Dundas to the higher end $200 +/night hotels. Really depends on your budget. I'd personally recommend Novotel hotel, it's nice, not too expensive and right accross from Square One mall with many restaurants nearby. Also a decent selection of entertainment in the vicinity.

Getting downtown is a breeze, one bus from there to the subway (approx 25 mins or 15 with the express bus), then take the subway downtown (another 25 mins) right near where Caribana is.

Just stay away from Stanky Brampton.

Old
07-14-2005, 12:53 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Most Toronto residents leave town during Caribana, at least everyone I know did when I lived in the city.

Have fun, keep your head down.

Old
07-14-2005, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224
Most Toronto residents leave town during Caribana, at least everyone I know did when I lived in the city.

Have fun, keep your head down.
Really? why do they leave?

I haven't been to Caribana since 2000, but it's always fun, the activities, the nightlife, people you meet (especially the girls ) is always fun...of course there's always some knuckleheads looking for trouble, but what do you expect when hundreds of thousands of people from all over NA come to Toronto for a caribeean party...

Anyways, thanks for the tips fellas, hopefully i'll still be able to rent a hotel when I get there, or better yet, meet a few honeys

Old
07-14-2005, 01:07 PM
Rusty Shackleford
Leafs Nation

Quote:

I haven't been to Caribana since 2000, but it's always fun, the activities, the nightlife, people you meet (especially the girls ) is always fun...of course there's always some knuckleheads looking for trouble, but what do you expect when hundreds of thousands of people from all over NA come to Toronto for a caribeean party...

Anyways, thanks for the tips fellas, hopefully i'll still be able to rent a hotel when I get there, or better yet, meet a few honeys
Me and my sister brother and parents are going to New Brunswick to visit my dads family in August during Carabanna which sucks because I hung out with my friends last year and got a lot of free crap.

The hotels are jamed pack pretty good for Carabanna so I'd book sometime in July.

Old
07-14-2005, 01:08 PM
habfan4

Quote:

Everyone heads up to cottage country on summer weekends. In addition to the Mississauga suggestion, I'd add North York which may prove an easier commute as it's closer to the subway line.

Old
07-14-2005, 01:09 PM
Rusty Shackleford
Leafs Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4
Everyone heads up to cottage country on summer weekends. In addition to the Mississauga suggestion, I'd add North York which may prove an easier commute as it's closer to the subway line.
Ya you can take Yorkdale station which is at the mall in downtown North York or Lawrence West or Glencairn.

Old
07-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Leafs_Fa_Life

Send a message via MSN to Leafs_Fa_Life
Quote:

Yeah Caribana is loads fun. My relatives from New York always come up for it. Also, one of my cousins has the second truck out this year. Guyana representing LOL

Anyways, when you get to Toronto leave your car at the hotel. Public Transit is definitely the way to go. It shouldn't take any longer than 30-40 minutes to get downtown. Or if your near a GO Train station take that if you don't mind paying a bit extra. It stops less frequently so you'll get downtown faster. Then from Union you can take the TTC or Taxi.

Old
07-14-2005, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs_Fa_Life
Yeah Caribana is loads fun. My relatives from New York always come up for it. Also, one of my cousins has the second truck out this year. Guyana representing LOL

Anyways, when you get to Toronto leave your car at the hotel. Public Transit is definitely the way to go. It shouldn't take any longer than 30-40 minutes to get downtown. Or if your near a GO Train station take that if you don't mind paying a bit extra. It stops less frequently so you'll get downtown faster. Then from Union you can take the TTC or Taxi.
Your from Guyana? Used to go out with a girl from Guyana...beautiful people, I haven't met one guyanese girl I didin't find hot (small sample might have something to do with that though )

I'll look out for the second truck, and i'll definately take public transit

Old
07-14-2005, 01:45 PM
Leafs_Fa_Life

Well there's lots of Guyanese girls in Toronto. I'm sure you'll find something you like

Old
07-14-2005, 01:56 PM
GD|eNSo

417, you can find a lot of motels and such up in the Scarborough area. Most of them are close to public transit, and beside's you will only need the place to sleep, right?

Oh and get a TTC Daypass, and stick with public transit. Driving is a no-no.

Old
07-14-2005, 03:14 PM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GD|eNSo
417, you can find a lot of motels and such up in the Scarborough area. Most of them are close to public transit, and beside's you will only need the place to sleep, right?

Oh and get a TTC Daypass, and stick with public transit. Driving is a no-no.
You forgot to remind him of the Kevlar if he's going to Scarborough.

Old
07-14-2005, 03:27 PM
syc

Based on the rise in gang activity this year in TO you can bet that a couple people will be shot at caribana this year.

I remember last year the police stopped and arrested five 15-18 year olds sitting in a car with a bunch of sub machine guns. But I don't think it made the news. I have many cop buddies and they are all working that weekend. If you go keep your eyes open but I know I sure as hell won't be going.

Old
07-14-2005, 03:58 PM
Leafs_Fa_Life

Quote:
Based on the rise in gang activity this year in TO you can bet that a couple people will be shot at caribana this year.
Somebody gets shot or stabbed every year. That isn't some new phenomenon, and chances are the person on the receiving end of that bullet or stab will be involved in gangs or drugs in some way too. As long as you don't go downtown looking for **** then you'll be fine.

Old
07-14-2005, 04:20 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
Mississauga. Plenty of hotels ranging from the $60/night motels on Dundas to the higher end $200 +/night hotels. Really depends on your budget. I'd personally recommend Novotel hotel, it's nice, not too expensive and right accross from Square One mall with many restaurants nearby. Also a decent selection of entertainment in the vicinity.

Getting downtown is a breeze, one bus from there to the subway (approx 25 mins or 15 with the express bus), then take the subway downtown (another 25 mins) right near where Caribana is.

Excuse me?

Old
07-14-2005, 04:38 PM
GD|eNSo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
You forgot to remind him of the Kevlar if he's going to Scarborough.
The hotels/motels already provide the kevlar when you book in, no need alarm him already!

Old
07-14-2005, 04:50 PM
BuppY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar

Leave Brampton out of this. we're good guys.

Old
07-14-2005, 04:52 PM
BuppY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Excuse me?
what part of Brampton are your from?

Old
07-14-2005, 08:02 PM
thrill_me_mogilny

Book your hotel BEFORE you get here. The best deals I find are on www.expedia.ca.
Downtown hotels, even the cheaper ones cost about $200.00 a night during Caribana. Even the Comfort Inn by the airport is like that. Definitely try to get something on the GO line. The only drawback to that is the last trains leave downtown around midnight.

Old
07-14-2005, 11:32 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuppY
what part of Brampton are your from?
North end.

You?

Closed Thread