HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vancouver Sports Media Thread. (Mod Thread Update Post 625)

View Poll Results: Do you enjoy listening to the TEAM 1040's Bro Jake Morning Show?
Yes - The Bro Jake Morning Show is my cup of tea! 29 15.34%
No - Enough is enough and it's time for a change! 111 58.73%
I don't care about Sports Talk Radio at all! 49 25.93%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Alflives

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinochick View Post
I don't mind that there may be some 'entertainment' talk during a sports morning radio show because I know the Team1040 wants to attract a larger listener base. But to me, what makes a morning show successful is the credibility and knowledge of the hosts. Bro Jake and Dave Pratt don't make the cut for me.

I've been listening to hockey podcasts more and more. And I use my iphone to listen to sports radio across N. America. Maybe that is the wave of the future for sports fans?
Your 'bolded' response echos my sentiments. There needs to be one of the hosts, who is a sports guy. Pratt is supposed to be that guy, but really he knows little more than Bro Jake. It would be nice if a guy, who played a sport at a high level, was part of the pair. Pratt with Moj, or Pratt with Angus Reid. The Bro-Jake guy is really not a sports guy AT ALL.

Old
10-22-2013, 04:43 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
This is a question for all - do any of you listen to the Marek V. Wyshinski podcast? Would you say that the MvW podcast has a good "entertainment quota" vs. "intelligent sports analysts" quota? Just asking because I was curious about your answers.

I don't mind that there may be some 'entertainment' talk during a sports morning radio show because I know the Team1040 wants to attract a larger listener base. But to me, what makes a morning show successful is the credibility and knowledge of the hosts. Bro Jake and Dave Pratt don't make the cut for me.

I've been listening to hockey podcasts more and more. And I use my iphone to listen to sports radio across N. America. Maybe that is the wave of the future for sports fans?
Marek vs Wyshynski is one of my daily listens. Both Marek and Wyshynski are knowledgable enough to have a good insightful debate, but can be goofballs. It really depends on the topic of the day and who is the guest on which way the pendulem swings. I think it's a good combination of both.

Old
10-22-2013, 04:47 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Marek vs Wyshynski is one of my daily listens. Both Marek and Wyshynski are knowledgable enough to have a good insightful debate, but can be goofballs. It really depends on the topic of the day and who is the guest on which way the pendulem swings. I think it's a good combination of both.
I hate marek. Eastern bias and tries too hard to be Jim Rome like. He's lame.

Old
10-22-2013, 04:49 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
I hate marek. Eastern bias and tries too hard to be Jim Rome like. He's lame.
Marek and Rome aren't even close to eachother. But yes there is a lot of Eastern bias.

Old
10-22-2013, 05:47 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Your 'bolded' response echos my sentiments. There needs to be one of the hosts, who is a sports guy. Pratt is supposed to be that guy, but really he knows little more than Bro Jake. It would be nice if a guy, who played a sport at a high level, was part of the pair. Pratt with Moj, or Pratt with Angus Reid. The Bro-Jake guy is really not a sports guy AT ALL.
IMO, Pratt gets a bad rap for his alleged "lack" of sports knowledge. I think it's more than adequate and I would say he would rate in the top 10% and probably higher of all the hfboard users here when it comes to sports knowledge. The key for the Jake and Pratt combo to work while they are still paired together is to regularly have high quality sports orientated guest that provide good interviews and soundbites.

They had those goofy, contrived guests a while back, i.e. Tiny Johnson or something like that, and AFAIK, that guy hasn't made an appearance lately. That in itself has made the show a lot better.

Old
10-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betamax View Post
IMO, Pratt gets a bad rap for his alleged "lack" of sports knowledge. I think it's more than adequate and I would say he would rate in the top 10% and probably higher of all the hfboard users here when it comes to sports knowledge. The key for the Jake and Pratt combo to work while they are still paired together is to regularly have high quality sports orientated guest that provide good interviews and soundbites.

They had those goofy, contrived guests a while back, i.e. Tiny Johnson or something like that, and AFAIK, that guy hasn't made an appearance lately. That in itself has made the show a lot better.
Holy $*&#.

You should be perma-banned for an ad hominem attack against 90% of the users on HFBoards. That's $*&#ing low, man!

Old
10-22-2013, 06:43 PM
Sinochick

Quote:

While I respect your opinion, Betamax, I don't exactly agree with the above in bold. Even if Bro Jake and Dave Pratt had quality guests like Bob McKenzie, Ray Ferraro, etc. on weekly, I still wouldn't listen to their morning show. Even when they had Mike Gillis on a few weeks back, I didn't want to listen to their morning show.

But I think I've prefaced this before by saying that I'm a female sports fan and Jake/Pratt just don't appeal to the female fanbase. So I likely wouldn't listen to Jake/Pratt no matter who their guests were.

Old
10-22-2013, 11:06 PM
John Bender*

Anyone listen to russell? Wondering if he is continuing with his Canuck hate nonsense? Does he hate tortorella yet?

Old
10-23-2013, 11:33 AM
Alflives

Quote:

Let me better state my point: Pratt is not, and never was, an athlete of any kind. He needs to be balanced with someone, who was once an athlete. Guys like Moj and Angus Reid, who played football at high levels, are needed to voice the athletes perspective, and temper Pratt's points of view.

Old
10-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Free Torts

Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Can't stand Wyshynski. He was part of the horde who piled on the Canucks in 2011 and I haven't seen any credible evidence that he's changed. His actual knowledge of the game is pretty mediocre.

Old
10-23-2013, 02:26 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Not unless they also possessed skills that made them good radio hosts. That's two different things entirely.

I'm talking more about the approach to radio as a whole. If you listen to something like "Fresh Air" on NPR, the host isn't an expert. The host is an informed listener/strong interviewer who seeks out interesting content for the show and doesn't try to brand the show as being about the interviewer/host.

I'm not a fan of the radio-host-as-character direction that radio has gone, particularly for Sports Radio. I think it's real lowest-common-denominator stuff and moving the format inexorably towards extinction.

Honestly, I'd be fine with a bit of both, or at least a sports radio station that takes its listenership seriously and attempts to engage in interesting discussion about sports. Right now it's mostly just nonsensical chatter and a lot of "call in and tell us how you FEEL." Who gives a $*&#? What value does it it provide me to hear the zeitgeist of fanship immediately after a loss? Inform me. Take some stewardship of the situation. Sports radio/lots of other radio is terrible because we've been told to expect that it should be terrible to make money and to lower our expectations. That's inconceivably stupid.

I think audiences are generally a lot more intelligent than these lowest-common-denominator formats assume, and they end up creating their own hell to live in. Jim Rome is the worst thing that happened to sports radio.

Edit: I'd love a radio show where Kevin Woodley broken down goaltending around the league for an hour a week. Or if Sportsnet would have him in a video studio doing analysis of Luongo for ten minutes before a game. That would be so much better than the garbage we see. You could even supplement it with a Team 1040 Youtube channel that had goalie breakdowns that he'd feed viewership to (and vice versa).
I think I've identified the one member of the Canadian Sports Media fraternity that could take sports talk show to a higher level.

He has two first names:

Bruce Arthur.

From his twitter profile: "National Post sports columnist, father of three, regular on The Reporters on TSN and TSN Radio. This is the cracked blinking kaleidoscope of my brain."

I think when the TEAM radio rebrands itself as TSN Radio, I think he's the one guy that could successfully host a live nation wide Sports Talk Show, even if it was for one day in a week, say on a Sunday, and have both credibility interesting thoughts on sports and a funny sense of humor. There's a lot going on up there within the "blinking kaleidoscope" of his brain.

Heard him doing his weekly guest spot on Rintoul's Show last week, and I think of all the media members in this country, he's the one person I could easily see move down south and be a National Writer for a paper like the USA Today, or host a National Sports Talk Show along the likes of Dan Patrick for Fox Sports or ESPN Radio.

Old
10-23-2013, 03:24 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
I think I've identified the one member of the Canadian Sports Media fraternity that could take sports talk show to a higher level.

He has two first names:

Bruce Arthur.

From his twitter profile: "National Post sports columnist, father of three, regular on The Reporters on TSN and TSN Radio. This is the cracked blinking kaleidoscope of my brain."

I think when the TEAM radio rebrands itself as TSN Radio, I think he's the one guy that could successfully host a live nation wide Sports Talk Show, even if it was for one day in a week, say on a Sunday, and have both credibility interesting thoughts on sports and a funny sense of humor. There's a lot going on up there within the "blinking kaleidoscope" of his brain.

Heard him doing his weekly guest spot on Rintoul's Show last week, and I think of all the media members in this country, he's the one person I could easily see move down south and be a National Writer for a paper like the USA Today, or host a National Sports Talk Show along the likes of Dan Patrick for Fox Sports or ESPN Radio.
Off the top of my head Bruce Arthur, Elliott Friedman (Poor guy stuck on the CBC panel with Healy and co), Matt Sekeres, Dave Naylor, and Stephen Brunt all can talk at the higher level you are talking about.

Old
10-23-2013, 04:54 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Let me better state my point: Pratt is not, and never was, an athlete of any kind. He needs to be balanced with someone, who was once an athlete. Guys like Moj and Angus Reid, who played football at high levels, are needed to voice the athletes perspective, and temper Pratt's points of view.
The closest Pratt's comes to athletic activity is pushing his chair back from the table, which clearly he does all too infrequently. Edwards had his 15 minutes when he was funny - but that was 20 years ago. Now it's just banal yak yak.

They should call the morning show "Fat and Stupid".

Old
10-23-2013, 05:05 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
The closest Pratt's comes to athletic activity is pushing his chair back from the table, which clearly he does all too infrequently. Edwards had his 15 minutes when he was funny - but that was 20 years ago. Now it's just banal yak yak.

Nonsense. Can we get serious?

The youtube evidence speaks for itself:

Fast forward to around 30 seconds if you want to skip the talk and bear witness to the deft balance Mr. Pratt demonstrates as he rides a bicycle without training wheels around City Hall while navigating around not only a speed bump but a ~two ton motor vehicle headed towards him. I was quite impressed with his performance.

Last edited by Betamax*: 10-23-2013 at 11:33 PM. Reason: What an amazing performance of athletic ability!!!
Old
10-23-2013, 05:44 PM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

Anyone listen to the GMMG interview on 1040 just now? Missed it because we had to buy a house

Old
10-23-2013, 05:48 PM
SighReally

Nothing much said. Little info on Hansen. Says that Booth will respond. Cap hit doesn't matter when deciding lines. No contract talk updates with Sedins.

Old
10-23-2013, 05:48 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
Anyone listen to the GMMG interview on 1040 just now? Missed it because we had to buy a house
Nothing real interesting other than BMac getting all upset because Gillis wasn't giving the answers he wanted.

Old
10-24-2013, 10:27 AM
Rocko604

1410 airing the Dan Patrick Show right now instead of Mike & Mike.

EDIT: Nevermind, I had it on 1380 Everett. I was listening on a dial radio, not my car. Surprised it's coming in very clear.

Last edited by Rocko604: 10-24-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old
10-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post

I laughed out loud! I'm glad I got to read this before a Mod 'pulled' it. Too funny. On a serious note, is it just me, or do the guests on the this 'new' morning show appear to be somewhat 'taken-aback' by these two hosts? I sense a tone in the guests responses that often appears irritated.

Old
10-24-2013, 12:54 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Quote:
I laughed out loud! I'm glad I got to read this before a Mod 'pulled' it. Too funny. On a serious note, is it just me, or do the guests on the this 'new' morning show appear to be somewhat 'taken-aback' by these two hosts? I sense a tone in the guests responses that often appears irritated.
What exactly was "pulled?" I want my morning LOL.

Old
10-24-2013, 01:19 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
Marek and Rome aren't even close to eachother. But yes there is a lot of Eastern bias.
There are parallels. Marek, like Rome, is super concerned with being cool. He's not as in your "grill" as Rome, but he's got some similar traits.

Old
10-24-2013, 01:42 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
There are parallels. Marek, like Rome, is super concerned with being cool. He's not as in your "grill" as Rome, but he's got some similar traits.
I really dont' see this comparison at all. Rome is a loud and annoying host who prides himself on being "Edgy" and "contraversial".

Marek is just a hockey geek who has fun with his job and goofs around. He may use some of the more "childish" hockey terms but if that's why you don't like him you are missing out on someone who knows his hockey.

Old
10-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Yammer

Quote:
Anyone listen to russell? Wondering if he is continuing with his Canuck hate nonsense? Does he hate tortorella yet?
Yeah, I've turned in a few times.

Quite enjoyed it. Maybe one likes what one is used to, but the thought of him being off the air made me strangely unhappy. As a show in itself, it was also pretty good, with lengthy and semi-intelligent interviews with Iain McIntyre, Kirk McLean and some other recognizable sports names.

I was never much of a Lee Powell fan because of his sleepy voice, but he seems a little bit more awake and is a reasonable foil for Dan.

On the subject of the Team 1040 morning show, I turned it on last week to give it another try and it was BFDP yakking on about some chick's hooters...like he was doing the most savage, heavy-handed mockery of his loathsome pervert persona.

I detest his brain. His voice is great, I think he would be fine doing promos, bumpers, and reading the news, but Dave Pratt is, to put it plainly, not smart. At all.

Voice is so obviously not everything. Marjanovitch's pipes are painful to listen to, but he doesn't make me want to stop listening to radio entirely and hate the PD that let him be on the air. My favourite TEAM show is the Saturday sports market show, because it is packed with content, thoughts, and guests, but the host Mayenecht is not exactly your classic smooth-voiced gent.

Pratt has everything you want in a radio voice except the words. He has to be reassigned or fired, to me his brain issues nothing but toxic vapours.

Jake is good though, I think he is was a good hire. There was nothing really wrong with having Rintoul, who I'm glad kept a slot, but Jake moves things along and sportswise is not bad.

Old
10-24-2013, 03:12 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Quote:
While I respect your opinion, Betamax, I don't exactly agree with the above in bold. Even if Bro Jake and Dave Pratt had quality guests like Bob McKenzie, Ray Ferraro, etc. on weekly, I still wouldn't listen to their morning show. Even when they had Mike Gillis on a few weeks back, I didn't want to listen to their morning show.

But I think I've prefaced this before by saying that I'm a female sports fan and Jake/Pratt just don't appeal to the female fanbase. So I likely wouldn't listen to Jake/Pratt no matter who their guests were.
Yeah ... I can understand your point of view. I think the TEAM's target audience is M18-55 (Male 18 to 55) so they are integrating the "guys/entertainment" talk segues onto their show to attract the casual male sports fan, to capture some of the audience that Bro Jake attracted when he was on the Rock 101 FM. Any female listeners they get to listen to their station is a bonus.

Old
10-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammer View Post
Pratt has everything you want in a radio voice except the words.
Could Pratt be the radio version of Booth? Some might say Booth has the million dollar body, but it's controlled by a 2 cent brain. Pratt's voice (as you say) is worth a million bucks, but that 2 cent brain is the issue. Personally, the Bro Jake character needs to be tossed. I am still very curious to see how long this show lasts.

Closed Thread