HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vancouver Sports Media Thread. (Mod Thread Update Post 625)

View Poll Results: Do you enjoy listening to the TEAM 1040's Bro Jake Morning Show?
Yes - The Bro Jake Morning Show is my cup of tea! 29 15.34%
No - Enough is enough and it's time for a change! 111 58.73%
I don't care about Sports Talk Radio at all! 49 25.93%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2013, 02:15 PM
CalgaryCanuck03
@calgarycanuck03

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betamax View Post
Yeah ... I can understand your point of view. I think the TEAM's target audience is M18-55 (Male 18 to 55) so they are integrating the "guys/entertainment" talk segues onto their show to attract the casual male sports fan, to capture some of the audience that Bro Jake attracted when he was on the Rock 101 FM. Any female listeners they get to listen to their station is a bonus.
The fact that they think the M18-55 sports fan would enjoy this BS humour shows how out of touch they are.

If you want to connect with the M18-55 audience, why are you hirering 55+ hosts?

Old
10-24-2013, 02:21 PM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
The fact that they think the M18-55 sports fan would enjoy this BS humour shows how out of touch they are.

If you want to connect with the M18-55 audience, why are you hirering 55+ hosts?
These two hosts in question don't appeal to any audience. Whomever hired them should have to answer for their mistake. We used to have two sports radio stations a while back. Then one went 'poof', and became (magically) an all traffic station. I listen to that more often now than the new 1040 morning show. Maybe the 1040 management is trying to 'tank' on purpose, so they can get the top pick in the coming 'new format' draft?

Old
10-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Could Pratt be the radio version of Booth? Some might say Booth has the million dollar body, but it's controlled by a 2 cent brain. Pratt's voice (as you say) is worth a million bucks, but that 2 cent brain is the issue. Personally, the Bro Jake character needs to be tossed. I am still very curious to see how long this show lasts.
Georgia Straight

Quote:
Readers Choice
Our readers have spoken and declared the best that Vancouver has to offer. Our 18th annual survey features over 260 categories and winners from all over the Lower Mainland.
Source: http://www.straight.com/bov/2013/results/all

This:

Quote:
Best local sports radio host(s)
  1. Matt Sekeres and Blake Price (Team 1040)
  2. David Pratt (Team 1040)
  3. Barry Macdonald and Don Taylor (Team 1040)
BTW, I think the voting took place while Pratt was displaying his talents for CKNW. So despite the criticisms he gets from several users here, he does have a solid base of supporters (the silent majority).

Old
10-24-2013, 02:35 PM
Proto

vCash: 833
I stand corrected: people do not want good sports radio

Old
10-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Quote:
Yeah ... that's the thing. They believe since they are the only real option for *local* sports talk that is focused on the Canucks and the other local sports team that they will retain enough of the serious sports fans and those they alienate (as can be read here) will be replaced and then some by the casual sports fan who like "guy talk" i.e. relationship/entertainment information that the Bro Jake Show had attracted when he was doing his CFMI Rock 101 gig.

Quote:
Both are well known, experienced "professionals" and established to this market and has cultivated a large following.

Old
10-24-2013, 02:44 PM
Alflives*

Quote:
Georgia Straight

Source: http://www.straight.com/bov/2013/results/all

This:

BTW, I think the voting took place while Pratt was displaying his talents for CKNW. So despite the criticisms he gets from several users here, he does have a solid base of supporters (the silent majority).
"It's in the paper; it must be true!" Oh, it's the Georgia Straight. I take that back. Although, I do your research abilities, I still believe that show (with the current hosts) is not going to last.

Old
10-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Quote:
"It's in the paper; it must be true!" Oh, it's the Georgia Straight. I take that back. Although, I do your research abilities, I still believe that show (with the current hosts) is not going to last.
I agree. I think within the year, they will move Pratt back to the Afternoon time slot and he can be liberated to do his signature sign-off ... "Adios Muchachos!"

I'm not sure about Bro Jake. They are positioning him as a homer "Super Fan" which he probably is in real life rather than the Sports Journalist type that they have with Sekeres. If they stick with him, they should pair him up with someone with Sports Journalism credibility and can tolerate the off-beat "low bro" humor that the Bro Jake tries to insert into his show.

Old
10-24-2013, 03:00 PM
Alflives*

Quote:
I agree. I think within the year, they will move Pratt back to the Afternoon time slot and he can be liberated to do his signature sign-off ... "Adios Muchachos!"

I'm not sure about Bro Jake. They are positioning him as a homer "Super Fan" which he probably is in real life rather than the Sports Journalist type that they have with Sekeres. If they stick with him, they should pair him up with someone with Sports Journalism credibility and can tolerate the off-beat "low bro" humor that the Bro Jake tries to insert into his show.
Your posts sound (always) like you know the radio business. Could we not get these changes done now?

Old
10-24-2013, 03:41 PM
Yammer

Quote:
Could Pratt be the radio version of Booth? Some might say Booth has the million dollar body, but it's controlled by a 2 cent brain.
Heh, perhaps. Although Booth can be given points for effort and earnest attempts to self-improve, while Pratt seemingly grows ever more comfortable with his anachronistic, leather-pants schtick.

An even closer player analogue might be Andre 'Red Light' Racicot, the goalie whose celebrity is merited entirely by his failure at his profession. I would compare that with Pratt's shining moment, when his silly prating about poker finally broke Don Taylor's mask of geniality. Taylor's quite mild acidity led to the old pro smoothie Pratt stomping out of the studio in a fit of pique.

I could stand to have Pratt around if the listener could be promised that he would be regularly tormented. That's the virtue of live radio, after all: it's crazy and undisciplined.

Old
10-24-2013, 03:52 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
I really dont' see this comparison at all. Rome is a loud and annoying host who prides himself on being "Edgy" and "contraversial".

Marek is just a hockey geek who has fun with his job and goofs around. He may use some of the more "childish" hockey terms but if that's why you don't like him you are missing out on someone who knows his hockey.
It would probably make marek cry if he knew he was coming off as geeky to you. I don't like him, not do i find him any more knowledgeable than anyone else. His run on hnic radio on sirius really turned me off him. In 2011 it was apparent how badly he wanted vancouver to lose. When he'd have Craig Simpson on, it was a hate fest.

Old
10-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammer View Post
Heh, perhaps. Although Booth can be given points for effort and earnest attempts to self-improve, while Pratt seemingly grows ever more comfortable with his anachronistic, leather-pants schtick.

An even closer player analogue might be Andre 'Red Light' Racicot, the goalie whose celebrity is merited entirely by his failure at his profession. I would compare that with Pratt's shining moment, when his silly prating about poker finally broke Don Taylor's mask of geniality. Taylor's quite mild acidity led to the old pro smoothie Pratt stomping out of the studio in a fit of pique.

I could stand to have Pratt around if the listener could be promised that he would be regularly tormented. That's the virtue of live radio, after all: it's crazy and undisciplined.
I will not argue your points about Pratt. He has little 'real' understanding of the athlete. If he is put (again) with someone to 'poke' him, that would be entertaining enough to once again follow. As for Brother Jake, please make him just go away.

Old
10-24-2013, 05:10 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I stand corrected: people do not want good sports radio
Sure is a tredy thing to knock local sports radio.

"sucks man...fff yeah"

Old
10-24-2013, 06:20 PM
Ziostilon

Does TSN1050 have their version of Hockeycentral at Noon?

I liked the Pierre McGuire segments that he would do on TSN990 (back when it was still 990 not 690 now), not sure if he still does it. he came on around 2-2:30 pacific time

Old
10-24-2013, 07:19 PM
YouppiKiYay

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
Anyone listen to russell? Wondering if he is continuing with his Canuck hate nonsense? Does he hate tortorella yet?
I've listened to a number of the Sunsational segments on the new Sportstalk. Pretty much what they were before. Russell is not as obviously bitter, but I still somehow find his devils advocate act annoying. I don't mind reasonable criticism of the Canucks, but he seems to me to just complain about his same pet issues time and again -- the shootout, NHL parity, supposed ease of Vancouver's schedule so far. He talks about the fact the Canucks have not beaten any tough teams, which is absolutely true and something lots of people have pointed out. But he seems to think mentioning that makes him some sort of rebel truth teller. It's so shallow. I feel like he thinks I'm an idiot and will buy his schtick.

That said, he sounds energized again and the show is certainly professional. Lee Powell is, as always, terrific. He makes the show worthwhile.

Edit: This is from Dan's Twitter feed earlier
Quote:
Nobody else sees this as joke. Canucks 4-1-1 on this trip. Opposition vs. Canucks on same trip are 2-2-2, while VI group drinks Koolaid.
This is the kind of thing that drives me crazy about Dan. It's valid to argue that the loser point system is silly. But it's nothing plenty of other people haven't argued. And the argument that Canucks record on this trip is bolstered by the poor competition is one I've heard on the Canucks Lunch and the Pre game show.

I don 't know what Dan thinks he's getting with the crack about VI and koolaid. It's petty and it's wrong.

Last edited by YouppiKiYay: 10-24-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old
10-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Quote:
Your posts sound (always) like you know the radio business. Could we not get these changes done now?
I think they are going to give it a couple of ratings periods to see who they perform. Clearly they felt they could improve the Morning Format by making it more "guy talk/entertainment" driven to attract a broader audience. The proof will be what kind of ratings they return.

Quote:
The difference between Booth and Pratt is that the latter has market value. I mean if you put Booth on waivers (when he is healthy), I'm 99.999% sure right now that no team would make a claim. Before returning to TEAM Radio, Pratt had an offer to stay with CKNW and an offer to go back to TEAM radio. He was wanted. Could you with a straight face say that any NHL team, including the Canucks would want to have Booth and the remainder of his contract?

Quote:

The one similar parallel I see with Booth and Pratt as a point of similarity is that I see that some people's negative opinions of them are clouded by their "off-season/topic" interests.

Old
10-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Yammer

Quote:
The one similar parallel I see with Booth and Pratt as a point of similarity is that I see that some people's negative opinions of them are clouded by their "off-season/topic" interests.
That's pretty insightful.

But to refine the point slightly, Booth's spiritualism and hunting are of limited relevance to his job as hockey player, whereas Pratt's interests are fundamental to his job as a talk jock.

I also find that Pratt's infamous tantrum/walkout had nothing to do with his interests in scotch and women with low aesthetic standards. That was unprofessional and displeasing to his employer, by all accounts.

Ironically, that is what I think Pratt is good for. I also enjoyed Moj ripping him. There is a local radio precedent for antagonistic radio partners, e.g. Frosty Forst and Neil McRae - their friction was hilarious.

Old
10-25-2013, 05:43 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Quote:
That's pretty insightful.

But to refine the point slightly, Booth's spiritualism and hunting are of limited relevance to his job as hockey player, whereas Pratt's interests are fundamental to his job as a talk jock.
Well, that's certainly debatable. re: Booth. I think it could be rationally argued that his other interest has had a negative impact on his hockey career. When you're out in the wilderness, away from rinks and hockey nets how can you practice your shot with a hockey stick? During the lock out, while the core members of the Canucks ... i.e. The Sedins/Bieksa, Kesler (even if he was injured), and The Cory etc.. were hanging around the UBC rink working on their hockey skills, where was Booth?

Furthermore, when it comes to off-season training, can you explain to me why he was the only Canucks to injure himself in fitness testing during that lock out year?

That seems to indicate me that he's not training in a way that is conducive to hockey type movements.

As for Pratt, his "off topic" interest only becomes an issue if it regularly dominate the topics he discusses as a Sports Talk Show host. I think he's done a good job of limiting it.

Quote:
I also find that Pratt's infamous tantrum/walkout had nothing to do with his interests in scotch and women with low aesthetic standards. That was unprofessional and displeasing to his employer, by all accounts.
Well, pretty much, most people have an incident in their profession that they may have regretted. Look at Jim Rome and the Jim Everett incident. Or Christian Bale on the Set of Terminator. At the end of the day, their talents rises above any of those mis-steps.

Quote:
Ironically, that is what I think Pratt is good for. I also enjoyed Moj ripping him. There is a local radio precedent for antagonistic radio partners, e.g. Frosty Forst and Neil McRae - their friction was hilarious.
I think you enjoy ripping him because you just don't like his personality. Which is fair comment since his schtick is to have a certain segment of of the audience that he infamously use to call "Pinheads" ... to dislike him i.e. be a polarizing personality. I think he's mellowed out since then, however.

Last edited by Betamax*: 10-25-2013 at 05:56 PM. Reason: "... good job of limiting it."
Old
10-25-2013, 05:45 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Doug Mclean just made fun of Hitchcocks weight on the pregame show

oh man

Old
10-25-2013, 09:52 PM
Yammer

Quote:
Well, that's certainly debatable. re: Booth. I think it could be rationally argued that his other interest has had a negative impact on his hockey career. When you're out in the wilderness, away from rinks and hockey nets how can you practice your shot with a hockey stick?
Yes, all good points. I'm not arguing your contention that Booth is more of a failure than Pratt because the former has probably no market value right now. But to describe the success of Pratt without reference to the fact that he makes me turn off the radio and think worse of TEAM program directors would be disingenuous - I can't believe I'm the only one who finds his mindset repugnant.

If personal feelings was not part of the discussion in this thread, we could just look at the latest BBM data and have no chitchat about it; ratings win.

As for Booth's hobbies getting in the way of his training, I dunno. Plausibly yes he was away hunting all summer, sitting in a duck blind drinking moonshine, or whatever it is that people do when they are hunting, instead of assiduously doing his plyometrics and visualizing himself toe dragging around Shea Weber.

It's not obvious to me that that is the case.

One may also speculate that indulging in not-hockey pursuits refreshes the whole being, thus making him more amenable to hockey; that vigorous outdoor exercise is just the thing for joints, connective muscles and bone density; that the killer instinct in an athlete is enhanced by actually killing things.

I dunno. Speculation is not evidence.

It's fun though.

Old
10-25-2013, 10:05 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Quote:
I dunno. Speculation is not evidence.

It's fun though.
Yeah, I find it kinda "weird" that he was the only "dude" to injure himself in fitness testing, two seasons ago, though. So when that happens, the conspiracy/speculation ensues.

As for Pratt, his entire persona is to have a certain segment of the population that loathes him. It's pretty evident in this thread and the previous one.

I like the talents he brings to the table as he knows how to run a show and keep it moving. His ability to ask to the point questions and let the guest speak only comes from someone who get's it ... someone who's been in the broadcast business for years and it's the guest that should be doing most of the talking ... not the interviewer. Whereas we have others who go on and on with their waxingly poetic prose before they ask their question is not really the interview style I enjoy listening to.

Old
10-26-2013, 11:24 PM
mr gib

anything but rimtool

Old
10-27-2013, 12:45 AM
John Bender*

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouppiKiYay View Post
I've listened to a number of the Sunsational segments on the new Sportstalk. Pretty much what they were before. Russell is not as obviously bitter, but I still somehow find his devils advocate act annoying. I don't mind reasonable criticism of the Canucks, but he seems to me to just complain about his same pet issues time and again -- the shootout, NHL parity, supposed ease of Vancouver's schedule so far. He talks about the fact the Canucks have not beaten any tough teams, which is absolutely true and something lots of people have pointed out. But he seems to think mentioning that makes him some sort of rebel truth teller. It's so shallow. I feel like he thinks I'm an idiot and will buy his schtick.

That said, he sounds energized again and the show is certainly professional. Lee Powell is, as always, terrific. He makes the show worthwhile.

Edit: This is from Dan's Twitter feed earlier

This is the kind of thing that drives me crazy about Dan. It's valid to argue that the loser point system is silly. But it's nothing plenty of other people haven't argued. And the argument that Canucks record on this trip is bolstered by the poor competition is one I've heard on the Canucks Lunch and the Pre game show.

I don 't know what Dan thinks he's getting with the crack about VI and koolaid. It's petty and it's wrong.
Thanks for posting that twitter. Seems nothing has changed with him. I won't waste my time checking out his new show. I hope he fails miserably. The guy is an idiot. Move to Edmonton and broadcast from there.

Old
10-27-2013, 12:45 AM
John Bender*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr gib View Post
anything but rimtool
That's what she said.

Old
10-27-2013, 06:05 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Okay, here are two things right now that I find kind of annoying on the TEAM Radio.

1) Vancouver Giants Play by Play - Who here actually plays attention to the Giants (in general) and/or actually likes to listen to their play by play broadcasts on radio.

I'm fine with local content, most of the time, but I'm 110% in favour of having them putting the Major Leagues Sports as a priority i.e. The MLB World Series or NFL SNF over play by play of a junior team.

With the Whitecaps playing their final game this season on 1410, the Giants are on 1040 ... both MLB and the NFL are shut out.

2) The current radio promo feature 'The Moj': Where it seems a bit too contrived that the radio announcer mis-pronounces his name ... it was okay the first time with Giulio Caravatta being mis-pronounced but having it done a second time is redundant and any comedic effect is lost.

Old
10-27-2013, 06:36 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

You know what I hate ?

The lame "King of floors" sponsor. Its such a second tier sponsor for a world class team. Cant they get Molson or somebody to sponsor the games...

Closed Thread