HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Dougie Hamilton vs Morgan Rielly

View Poll Results: ?
Hamilton 219 46.11%
Rielly 256 53.89%
Voters: 475. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-09-2013, 04:57 PM
will13

vCash: 500
Dougie Hamilton vs Morgan Rielly

Who would you rather have on your team moving forward?

I know this has already been talked about over a year ago but I was just wondering if anyones opinion has changed since.

will13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Plante

Picked Rielly, but I wish both of them would pack up and move onto other careers.

Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 05:36 PM
nbwingsfan

This won't end well. Bruins VS Leafs polls never do.

With that said IMO Hamilton. The same offensive potential, but much defensive potential. His frame alone gives him a huge advantage over Rielly (and most other D) and he will be a force when he learns to use it to his advantage.

No knock on Rielly, hes not far behind.

nbwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 05:43 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Leafs fan taking Rielly. For all dougie's height, he doesn't outweigh rielly, and Rielly's already stronger than him and a bit of a physical freak. In terms of play, Rielly can control the puck and ice in a way that dougie just can't. I'm also having serious doubts as to whether dougie's lack of defensive IQ can be fixed.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 05:43 PM
MarginallyTalented

As a neutral fan, I really like Rielly's game. Wished the Islanders would of drafted him over Reinhart. Such a smooth skater with exceptional offensive instincts, huge potential IMO. No slight to Dougie who is just as good of a prospect (if he is still considered one)

MarginallyTalented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 06:03 PM
ResilientBeast
5-14-6-1

vCash: 300
Dougie but it's close

ResilientBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 06:03 PM
416Leafer

Riellys a year younger... But we've seen such a small sample size of Hamilton, let alone Rielly at the NHL level, that its a really tough question to answer.

Based on overall toolset, Hamilton has the higher ceiling if he can pull it all together. But I also really like what Ive seen from Rielly so far. Both are great young D.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 06:26 PM
FrozenJagrt

As a Leafs fan, I'm going with Hamilton on this one

FrozenJagrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 06:27 PM
bearcountry17

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Leafs fan taking Rielly. For all dougie's height, he doesn't outweigh rielly, and Rielly's already stronger than him and a bit of a physical freak. In terms of play, Rielly can control the puck and ice in a way that dougie just can't. I'm also having serious doubts as to whether dougie's lack of defensive IQ can be fixed.
From official team websites
Dougie Hamilton 6'5 212lbs
Morgan Rielly 6'1 205lbs

Anyone who has watched both these players knows that they are not close to the same level defensively with Hamilton being better defensively in both NHL and CHL.

bearcountry17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

It might be rielly next week, and Hamilton the next week...aka this poll had two high end D prospects and this poll means nothing.

Ill homer vote Hamilton to help counteract the leaf homers.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 07:16 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcountry17 View Post
Morgan Rielly 6'1 205lbs

Anyone who has watched both these players knows that they are not close to the same level defensively with Hamilton being better defensively in both NHL and CHL.
Rielly was 205lbs last year, weighed in at 211 at camp this year, though. Not sure if Dougie's put on any weight.

As for defense, Hamilton is the guy who was rarely used on the PK even in junior hockey, and has never been used up against the other teams' top lines even as a prospect.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 07:20 PM
BudMovin*

vCash:
Both are great. Next poll please.

Old
10-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Community
44 is Rielly good

vCash: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcountry17 View Post
Morgan Rielly 6'1 205lbs

How can you say that after Rielly's played a grand total of 2 games at the NHL and been very steady defensively in those 2 games.... Not saying I believe Rielly is better defensively than Hamilton, but I wouldn't put it past Rielly if he plays good-great defensively this year as he's such a smart player.

That being said, I don't think Rielly is a better defensive player.... because he's been in the NHL TWO GAMES. Also they played in different leagues in juniors, and on vastly different teams.

Both players have all the potential in the world, let's at LEAST wait till Rielly plays his first year in the NHL.

Community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 07:43 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Morgan Rielly.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 07:45 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Obviously as a Leafs fan I voted for Rielly, however this question should really be asked after this season, assuming that Rielly has not been sent back to the WHL.

Also it seems that Randy Carlyle has been playing Rielly a lot in his first two games and I guess it's a great way to see if he can be ok with playing at the NHL level.

Maybe part of the reason is the Defense the Bruins had but in Hamilton's rookie season I believe he didn't get as many minutes that Reilly has already got. Plus last year in the playoffs he only played in 7 games and was a healthy scratch the majority of the time. Also if Hamilton is as great as some Bruins fans proclaimed he was before he even played an NHL game, how did Torey Krug replace him in the lineup and end up playing more games in the playoffs.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 08:10 PM
BudMovin*

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Obviously as a Leafs fan I voted for Rielly, however this question should really be asked after this season, assuming that Rielly has not been sent back to the WHL.

Also it seems that Randy Carlyle has been playing Rielly a lot in his first two games and I guess it's a great way to see if he can be ok with playing at the NHL level.

Maybe part of the reason is the Defense the Bruins had but in Hamilton's rookie season I believe he didn't get as many minutes that Reilly has already got. Plus last year in the playoffs he only played in 7 games and was a healthy scratch the majority of the time. Also if Hamilton is as great as some Bruins fans proclaimed he was before he even played an NHL game, how did Torey Krug replace him in the lineup and end up playing more games in the playoffs.
More NHL ready. Hamilton is still growing into his massive frame.

Old
10-09-2013, 08:58 PM
nbwingsfan

Quote:

Rielly has played 18 and 16 minutes respectively in his first two games. That certainly is NOT "a lot". Rielly has actually played less than Dougie did at the start of his first season.

As for why Krug played more? Krug was 23 years old, and he also scored 4 goals in 5 games, you never bench a D that was scoring a goal a game.

Both Rielly and Dougie have had their defensive games criticized, and areblue chip prospects because of their offensive ability. Dougie has the physical tools to be something special though.

nbwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 09:04 PM
sansabri
au-delà du délai

went with Rielly. seems to have the ability to control the game much more.

sansabri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 09:09 PM
CanadienShark

Personally I think both were a little overhyped, but both still have big potential. I went with Hamilton, but it could go either way.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 09:24 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:

Their minutes are practically identical for Hamilton last year and Rielly this year (17:07, 17:11). Krug replaced him because he's a couple years older and a stud himself, watch him play this year, kid can flat out play and he was the hot hand in the playoffs after torching New York.

Last edited by bruinsfan46: 10-09-2013 at 09:29 PM.
bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 10:05 PM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

Quote:

Because Krug is a lefty, three years older, more developed, and you couldn't take him out after round two..

Hamilton gets crucified because he was sat out for a lot of the playoffs in his rookie year on one of the deepest defensive teams in the league that grinds the opposition out and stresses defense first. Relax. Both are great but I'll take Hamilton because of his size. Really close everywhere else.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 10:32 PM
shaner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
went with Rielly. seems to have the ability to control the game much more.
This and he's a year younger.

shaner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 10:47 PM
roflstomper
I don't row.

Hamilton because he has a higher ceiling but I get a little whiff of bust potential from him sometimes.

roflstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:24 PM
Skip2myBordyloo
Maybe next year

vCash: 50
AVS fan saying Rielly

when he's ready would make an awesome top pairing with EJ. that and our LHD are borderline scrubs.

i think Hamilton will be overall a better player in the end.

Skip2myBordyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 12:22 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:

This is actually a hilarious post. Do some research before u say anything. Torey Krug is what 3/4 years older than Hamilton? Krug has nowhere near the potential as Hamilton/Reilly.

Hamilton played as much as I could have hoped last year, and I hope he isn't overplayed this year either. He can afford to have sheltered minutes on one of the best teams in the NHL.

Both are blue chippers, but basing off of the playoffs and a stat that is completely wrong (ice time) is just hilarious.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote