HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

What did people think of Selanne when he first broke into the league?

Old
10-11-2013, 05:40 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

vCash: 500
I can tell you that as a fan living in Winnipeg at that time, no one really put any stock into John Ferguson's draft picks (except Hawerchuk), especially if they were European. European's at that time were considered a gamble and Selanne was selected in the later rounds so there was not much anticipation. As far as his progress during the year, it never crossed my mind that he might someday break Gretzky's goal record. It was just way too early to really get a comprehensive understanding of what type of player he was going to be, what kind of character he had and how he would play through more difficult times. Even at that time in NHL history (with no warning that the NHL would be entering the DPE), Gretzky's records were seen as untouchable. Also, Housley was such a major factor in Selanne's goal totals that year. Two years later, Selanne was seen as something of a 'flash' in the pan and everyone was higher on Zhamnov for his strong strike shortened season. He was coming off of achilles surgery though. It sure was exciting though. His season breathed a lot of life into a floundering franchise.

LeBlondeDemon10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 05:44 PM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

^ he was drafted 10th overall, immediately after roenick and brind'amour.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 06:04 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
^ he was drafted 10th overall, immediately after roenick and brind'amour.
Thought it was later. Still, I think my point is valid.

Old
10-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Terry Yake

i still wonder how his career would have panned out had he not suffered the injury to his achillies which he really never recovered from

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 09:38 PM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
Thought it was later. Still, I think my point is valid.
yeah, always nice to have a fan's perspective.

curious: after the '93 playoffs, i thought tkachuk was going to be the guy we'd have to worry about for years to come. he just ran around and did what he wanted, while selanne seemed pretty containable except on the PP. sadly, soon both the smythe division and the jets were no more, but between your young guys selanne, tkachuk, and zhamnov, was there any sense in those first two teemu years that he might not end up being the best one before selanne's injury troubles?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 10:57 PM
Sticks and Pucks

And to follow up on that question, was there any fans who thought in their first two seasons that Zhamnov could be better than Selanne? Obviously he wasn't but he did have that great year in 94-95 so I was just wondering if Jets fans were able to foresee that in 92-93, 93-94. I know Zhamnov is also considered one of the best NATURAL talents in that era.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 11:35 PM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverallLine View Post
And to follow up on that question, was there any fans who thought in their first two seasons that Zhamnov could be better than Selanne? Obviously he wasn't but he did have that great year in 94-95 so I was just wondering if Jets fans were able to foresee that in 92-93, 93-94. I know Zhamnov is also considered one of the best NATURAL talents in that era.
There were moments, sure, but even for a 48-game season, #3 was a surprising placement. I do have to wonder about the overall effect that Peca's check on Selanne (concussion) had on the Winnipeg Jets. At the time, Selanne had 17 points in the first 10 games of the season. Peca wrecked him, and Selanne fell out of his groove for the rest of the short season. Zhamnov absolutely picked up the ball though. 1 goal in 11 games coming out of that game in Vancouver, then he scores 29 goals in the remaining 37 games. It's like in an effort to keep them in the playoff hunt, he developed that type of hysterical strength that allows people to lift up cars in emergencies.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 12:52 AM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
yeah, always nice to have a fan's perspective.

curious: after the '93 playoffs, i thought tkachuk was going to be the guy we'd have to worry about for years to come. he just ran around and did what he wanted, while selanne seemed pretty containable except on the PP. sadly, soon both the smythe division and the jets were no more, but between your young guys selanne, tkachuk, and zhamnov, was there any sense in those first two teemu years that he might not end up being the best one before selanne's injury troubles?
Quote:
And to follow up on that question, was there any fans who thought in their first two seasons that Zhamnov could be better than Selanne?
Tkachuk was viewed as being a power forward with toughness so the upside was considered very good. Lots of anticipation about him. American hockey players were starting to be viewed seriously around this time. Better than Selanne? I can't recall, but I remember many being excited about his arrival. Zhamnov showed enormous potential with very slick moves and great passing. Better than Selanne? Maybe only because he was Russian and the expectations were higher. As it turns out the Paddock traded the wrong man and kept the other two who turned out to have some character flaws which affected their on ice performance. Despite Selanne's abrupt step backwards and Tkachuk and Zhamnov's progress, Selanne captured the heart of the city mainly because he was so likeable and personable. Zhamnov knew very little English so it was tough for him to integrate and to get a read on him. Tkachuk seemed cocky and there were stories floating around about his off ice activities.

Old
10-12-2013, 03:11 AM
the edler
Cory Schneider fan

People in Winnipeg really thought of Selšnne as something of a flash in the pan around 94–95? He got injured and still put up PPG+ when the league fell back to a more normal pace from 92–93. Well, no one knew and he could have been a Mogilny type of player but it's still baffling he was traded, even if it was for business purposes, when he led his team with 72 points in 51 games in 95–96.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post
Zhamnov absolutely picked up the ball though. 1 goal in 11 games coming out of that game in Vancouver, then he scores 29 goals in the remaining 37 games.
Yeah it's obvious it was Zhamnov, even if he was a very good player, who was the flash in the pan, at least as a goal scorer. He had a 5 goal game that season too in a 7–7 tie against LA. And, even if I like Zhamnov, he was even more of a less contact player and injury prone than Selšnne.

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 12:33 AM
MilanKraft*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Yake View Post
i still wonder how his career would have panned out had he not suffered the injury to his achillies which he really never recovered from
It was more the NHL turning to **** after 94 and never recovering.

MilanKraft* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 04:09 AM
agentblack

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxscore View Post
Prior to his arrival, he was considered a "talented Euro" along the lines of Palffy, Fedorov and Mogilny but nowhere near the level of Bure or Jagr. I remember his rookie year well.... he got off to an insane start and people rode the wave but expected the storybook season to come to a halt. Let's not forget that Eric Lindros dominated the news and press with his trade to Philadelphia and his leap into the NHL that year.
Man 1993 was probably the greatest season ever. Just so much going on.

agentblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 12:39 AM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

The biggest piece taken away from that team was Housley.

While Tkachuk and Zhamnov progressed nicely after their rookie year, Selanne wasn't the same although his season ending injury in 94 hampered his production for the next 2 years. Selanne was a fresh breathe to the city, very likeable and took the city by storm.

The day the management traded him was the biggest slap in the face in my years as a Jets fan. When the Jets left I latched onto my other team, the Vancouver Canucks.

Although, the Messier/Keenan debacle with Linden getting traded was just another piece of nonsense that followed through out my hockey fandom.

Selanne is and forever will be one of my all time favourite hockey players. Jets management at that time was just a big cluster****..

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 12:53 AM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpochLink View Post
Selanne is and forever will be one of my all time favourite hockey players. Jets management at that time was just a big cluster****..
If by management you mean ownership, than I agree. The owner at the time, Barry Shenkarow, had his hands tied with the agreement he had with the food and beverage services of the arena, Winnipeg Enterprises. I don't believe Shenkarow was making any profit off the sales of food/drinks. Shenkarow courted the Province and City to build a new facility for the Jets, but no government at any level would provide any funding for such an endeavor. I believe Paddock, the GM at the time, was told he had to trade one of the big three because it was becoming too costly for Shenkarow and his partners to run the team. Not surprisingly, with no adequate facility to be built in sight, Shenkarow sold the team the following year to owners from the Phoenix area. Its been awhile since I learned about all this, but I believe my facts are mostly right.

Old
01-15-2014, 01:46 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
Not surprisingly, with no adequate facility to be built in sight, Shenkarow sold the team the following year to owners from the Phoenix area. Its been awhile since I learned about all this, but I believe my facts are mostly right.
Not quite my friend. Dr. Richard Burke & Steven Gluckstern (neither native to Phoenix) bought the Jets & planned to move them to Minnesota. However, the Twin Cities refused to provide them with subsidies, tax breaks & a sweetheart of a deal so they accidentally wound up in Phoenix, a deal facilitated no doubt by Gary Bettman who's old pal from his NBA days, Jerry Colangelo, had just recently opened up the brand new then called American Airlines Arena in downtown Phoenix. Home of the Suns. Having a tenant with 41 home games, pre & hopefully post season would go far in paying down his massive debts and as the Jets had few options, they signed on in Arizona.... long story short, a dreadful one-sided Lease with no revenues from concessions, parking, sponsorships etc; a building basketball specific with 1000's of obstructed seats & there was no way they'd ever make a dime. The rest as they say is history.... Steve Ellman, Jerry Moyes, Wayne Gretzky, the City of Glendale.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 08:32 PM
Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
I remember thinking that he, Zhamnov and Tkachuk were like the perfect line.
I remember watching that line play against the Canucks often and thinking that the Jets were going to be contending for the Cup over the next few years due to them being together. Seems I was wrong.

Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 09:15 PM
Brooklanders*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks and Pucks View Post
In light of Tomas Hertl's hot start as a rookie, I started thinking of Teemu Selanne's rookie season. What were people thinking when Selanne first burst onto the scene in 1992-1993 and set all those rookie scoring records? Was he well-known before he arrived or was he a surprise rookie whom people thought would cool down? I imagine most of the rookie hype would have gone towards Lindros entering the season, not Selanne. Ultimately, his first season was his best statistical season ever but did people feel that way or did people think he could perhaps break Gretzky's 92 goals record someday?
I don't remember how hyped he was as a rookie before the season. As a rookie he was absolutely phenomenal. Immediate superstar. The skill was obvious and all we could think was why did he get drafted so low.

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 11:38 PM
Jussi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
That's exactly what I recall.

(I listened to that entire draft on NL 610 Radio in Kamloops, telling my girlfriend I was sick. )

Selanne was "flashy" his rookie year and Grapes hated him, criticizing him for showboating, so the Hertl reference is a bit apt.
Finnish tv interviewed Cherry during that season and he gave very positive comments on Teemu. I don't recall if that interview was done before or after he broke Bossy's record.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote