HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

What about McCabe

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2005, 09:38 PM
bean7

vCash: 500
What about McCabe

All the talk is about the Leafs buying out Owen Nolan, not signing Bryan Leetch, Gary Roberts and Joe Nieuwendyk taking reduced salaries and not a single mention of McCabe. If you ask me, this guy has got to go.

This is a player who wasn't good enough to cut it in the Swedish Elite League. McCabe rode Bryan Leetch's coat-tails to some decent offensive numbers but will be his ineffective self again once Leetch is gone. Certainly the $3.5 million (that's taking the 24% rollback into account) that McCabe is going to make this year can be better spent somewhere else.

Thanks to the salary cap, the next few weeks will be the last opportunity for the Leafs to throw money at their problems. This can be accomplished by buying out and getting rid of as many older players as possible and replacing them with younger players (probably from outside the organization) that have a few more years of shelf life. Owen Nolan will be the first to go, and McCabe should be next in line.

Old
07-14-2005, 09:40 PM
Slapshot17

If I could buyout 3 leafs players, they would be Nolan, McCabe and Belfour in that order. I think they can all be replaced by 3 better younger and cheaper free agents.

Old
07-14-2005, 09:41 PM
Tap on the Ankle
Nobody remembers No2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean7
All the talk is about the Leafs buying out Owen Nolan, not signing Bryan Leetch, Gary Roberts and Joe Nieuwendyk taking reduced salaries and not a single mention of McCabe. If you ask me, this guy has got to go.
No worries, then. I hear he's going to be sitting out for the rest of his life

Old
07-14-2005, 09:45 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot17
If I could buyout 3 leafs players, they would be Nolan, McCabe and Belfour in that order. I think they can all be replaced by 3 better younger and cheaper free agents.
McCabe and Belfour could come off the books in year 2 as the UFA drops to 29 years old ..

Year 1 with all new teams is a feeling out period .. I would sooner keep the money in the bank and spend it next year ..

Buyouts will count against the cap after this first adjustment period .. So if you sign a player to a multi-year deal this year as a result of using the money from Belfour and/or McCabe then that is less cap space next year and you are stuck if you sign and get Khristich type results from a UFA ..

Old
07-14-2005, 09:48 PM
Sundin13

Send a message via MSN to Sundin13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher
LOL

In all seriousness though, Ferguson made a big mistake by signing Mccabe, Belfour, Klee and Kaberle before he knew the terms of the new CBA. McCabe who's a decent #3 defenceman will be making the money that a #1 defenceman is going to make under the new CBA. Klee is making 1.9 million, that's a lot for a number 4-5 guy.

I suggest we buy out Belfour, Nolan and Klee and get Khabibulin to replace Belfour.

Old
07-14-2005, 09:50 PM
Slapshot17

What if you could buyout McCabe and use the money you were going to spend on him and a little more on a guy like Scott Neidermayer?

Old
07-14-2005, 09:57 PM
Sundin13

Well Niedermayer is going to be the premier defenceman available this off-season. He's coming off a Norris Trophy, he is relatively healthy, he's definitely going to command the maximum 7.8 mil from a team. For that amount of money you could afford to build more depth by having McCabe and say...Aucoin in the fold.

Personally...I wonder what it would cost to bring Leetch back and add Aucoin, that will give us a decent core of:

McCabe - Leetch
Kaberle - Aucoin
Klee - Pilar/Colaiacovo

Old
07-14-2005, 09:59 PM
wasting time

I agree that McCabe has to go at a salary of $3.4 million or something like that. It was not a mistake to resign him, an arbitrator would have awarded more. I would buy him out for sure, along with Nolan and then play the free market.

Old
07-14-2005, 10:01 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
What if you could buyout McCabe and use the money you were going to spend on him and a little more on a guy like Scott Neidermayer?
No doubt that is a great idea .. but it has real problems and they all come down to timing ..

According to the timelime ahead ..of all this ..

They meet next Thursday July 21st to hold the votes at which time the CBA is valid and they will hold the draft lottery to show the order selection ..

The Draft is scheduled from on July 30th ..

The days from the lottery to the draft is the tranistion period .. July 21st - July 30th ..

During this time teams have to use this special buyout rule that does not count against the cap, but you can't resign him.. also sign 2003 unsigned players or they re-enter the draft and make all your RFA qualifying offers our you lose them ..

UFA season open Aug 1st ..

So you have make the decision to buyout McCabe in July or walk away from Berg as a RFA all before you know who will be available and or if the player will come to Toronto and his asking price ..

All about timing .. If you buyout McCabe and Niedermayer decides to stay in NJ and Foote resigns in Colorado .. Then what ??

Old
07-14-2005, 10:04 PM
Sundin13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
No doubt that is a great idea .. but it has real problems and they all come down to timing ..

According to the timelime ahead ..of all this ..

They meet next Thursday July 21st to hold the votes at which time the CBA is valid and they will hold the draft lottery to show the order selection ..

The Draft is scheduled from on July 30th ..

The days from the lottery to the draft is the tranistion period .. July 21st - July 30th ..

During this time teams have to use this special buyout rule that does not count against the cap, but you can't resign him.. also sign 2003 unsigned players or they re-enter the draft and make all your RFA qualifying offers our you lose them ..

UFA season open Aug 1st ..

So you have make the decision to buyout McCabe in July or walk away from Berg as a RFA all before you know who will be available and or if the player will come to Toronto and his asking price ..

All about timing .. If you buyout McCabe and Niedermayer decides to stay in NJ and Foote resigns in Colorado .. Then what ??
You bring up excellent points bud...if we buyout McCabe, there's no way we can have him back.

If we buy him out AFTER the so called transition period, does that mean that the salary is going to be counted against the cap?

Old
07-14-2005, 10:13 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundin13
You bring up excellent points bud...if we buyout McCabe, there's no way we can have him back.

If we buy him out AFTER the so called transition period, does that mean that the salary is going to be counted against the cap?
Rumours are that in this new CBA buyouts will count against the cap in all years at all times ..only enception is July 21 - July 30th (transition period)....

So logically if McCabe is on the roster come Aug 1st and then you buy him out he counts against the new Cap amount .. Almost defeats the purpose that time then .. You could replace him alright with a UFA but you now have dead cap space as a result ..

Same story and gamble Belfour ,, If you are thinking Khabby as the new goalie .. You have to set Belfour free and then battle 29 other teams for his services .. BIG GAMBLE not worth it ..IMO

Old
07-14-2005, 10:20 PM
Slapshot17

Basically you'd have to have a UFA that you've already talked to that will sign with you on August 1, before you make the decision to do that.

Old
07-14-2005, 10:30 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

I don't think Niedermeyer would want to come here. All indications seem to suggest he wants to go to Vancouver.

Old
07-14-2005, 11:07 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Basically you'd have to have a UFA that you've already talked to that will sign with you on August 1, before you make the decision to do that.
However any UFA will not know what his market price is or make his choice until August happens ..

Also under the old CBA you got charged for tampering by contacting another team about a player under contract to another .. We don't know if this transition period gives teams a small window to come to terms with their own UFA-to-be before August 1st ..

Who knows if Fergy can't buyout Nolan and regotiate new deals with say Roberts and Newy before August and then neither really becomes a UFA in the process ..

Old
07-15-2005, 07:42 AM
bean7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
If you buyout McCabe and Niedermayer decides to stay in NJ and Foote resigns in Colorado .. Then what ??
Then you struggle for a year (possibly) and have a crap-load of cash to spend on the next batch of free agents. With the "seven years of service to free agency" there will be more great players coming around every year.

Maybe you don't get Niedermayer this year but like it is in basketball and football, cap space is going to be the new buzz word. Plus, according to TSN, your total spent on salaries for the entire season can't exceed $39 million it doesn't say you can't have a payroll over 39 million. According to them, a crude example would be, if you payroll of 33 million for the first half of the season and trade to get your payroll up to 45 million for the second half of the season, this still complies with the limit of a $39 million season payroll.

Therefore, you don't get Niedermayer but you could get another quality player who is being dumped by their team because they don't have the cap space to resign them. With the age for unrestricted free agency going down to 27 (and even as low as 25 depending on when they started their NHL career) more quality players will be available for the teams with room to sign them every year.

Old
07-15-2005, 09:46 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean7
Then you struggle for a year (possibly) and have a crap-load of cash to spend on the next batch of free agents. With the "seven years of service to free agency" there will be more great players coming around every year..
Why would you need to struggle ??

McCabe contract ends next season and he is a UFA so his Salary is off the books anyways as a result ..

So I don't follow the play without him this year to make room next year !!!

Smart asset management would be to trade him this year and then next off season when he is a UFA bring him back and get to use the player you got for him to your advantage ..

When they hold the draft lottery and say Leafs get a late 1st round pick .. Then I would consider using McCabe to move up or get another 1st rounder in the draft .. Lots of the younger teams need players in the new NHL and have lots of prospects .. Would a Mike Keenan trade his 1st rounder if its in the 8 -12 range for McCabe ??

Then a creative GM could trade 2 first to move up .. If the Leafs really like a player like Benoit Pouliot big LW then you could trade into the top 5 perhaps ..

Buying out a player is poor asset management IMO ... Using everything to your advantange makes a great GM ..

Old
07-15-2005, 10:04 AM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

Boy, we maple leaf fans are something else sometimes.

If Bryan McCabe was on another team the last couple of years, and performed as he did, and was available we would all be screaming to sign him. Sure, he's no Chris Pronger, but he has been our overall best defenseman since he arrived in that one-sided trade with the stupid Islanders.

Why are we so eager to unload him?

Sometimes, the grass appears greener on the other side of the hill.

Old
07-15-2005, 11:01 AM
Vexatious Comment

vCash:
Quote:
what if you did something intelligent like trade McCabe for draft picks of some kind and then sign a free agent.

Dumping a serviceable player for nothing seems a bit ridiculous to me. Regardless, unless you are 100% sure you will land Nieds then you don't do that either.

Old
07-15-2005, 11:07 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recidivist
Boy, we maple leaf fans are something else sometimes.

If Bryan McCabe was on another team the last couple of years, and performed as he did, and was available we would all be screaming to sign him. Sure, he's no Chris Pronger, but he has been our overall best defenseman since he arrived in that one-sided trade with the stupid Islanders.

Why are we so eager to unload him?

Sometimes, the grass appears greener on the other side of the hill.
I agree with this sentiment 120%.

Except the part about the "stupid Islanders". It was Mike Smith and the stupid Blackhawks. And I'd say McCabe and Kaberle have both been our top defencemen since he arrived. But other than that, you're bang on.

Old
07-15-2005, 11:29 AM
Kenadyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
I agree with this sentiment 120%.

Except the part about the "stupid Islanders". It was Mike Smith and the stupid Blackhawks. And I'd say McCabe and Kaberle have both been our top defencemen since he arrived. But other than that, you're bang on.
Correct. And I'm tired of other Leafs fans stating that they should buy out Belfour and sign Khabibulin. As if it were REALLY that easy.

Folks, as the voice of reason, what's to say Khabibulin doesn't re-sign with the Lightening before the FA period begins. Hey, they did win the Stanley Cup before the lockout. Why would he not want to stay with them if they offer him a decent contract?

I don't claim to know what Tampa's cap situation is, but I don't think they are in the same situation as same other teams who will have to buy out some of their players (Nolan, for example).

As another poster stated, if you buy out Belfour (you can't re-sign him), you then have to outbid other teams for his services. A hypothetical situation - all things being equal say Detroit and Toronto both offer him the max. (20%) and he signs with Detroit.

Now, who do the Leafs start in goal? Tellqvist?? Look, I like the guy, but he needs another year as a back-up before I think he'll be ready for the full-time gig.

Old
07-15-2005, 11:48 AM
gobuds

Quote:

AMEN- I agree get rid of these three stiffs....start over

Old
07-15-2005, 11:57 AM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army

I stand corrected - thanks.

Imagine confusing the stupid Black Hawk GM for the stupid Islander GM!

Old
07-15-2005, 12:11 PM
gobuds

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher

Closed Thread