HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Michel Therrien/ General coaching discussion thread

Old
10-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
This just confirms how poor of a fit Briere was to begin with. There was no reason to sign him. Desharnais can't play with another smallish winger, but the problem is that everyone on the right side is small (Gallagher, Gionta, Briere). There was simply no room for a Briere type of player, this is what is most frustrating about the signing.

Unless Bergevin really had a plan to move DD, it was just the opposite move of what he should have made.
I think that the thought process was that we were getting a really good PP player, and a player who was coming to play for his team, and would have wanted to show everybody he wasn't done.

But I guess there's a limit to what a guy can do. Still not over...doesn't look good. But not over. At least, if they think Bournival is not ready at C....Brière might have a shot at C on the 4th....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 01:10 PM
Dean Ambrose
I AM A MERCENARY

vCash: 133
Wow, Briere on the fourth line... that didn't take long.

Hated the signing but after time was willing to give it a chance, but it's become evident that Briere doesn't fit on the team.

I never thought I was a bad person. I just thought I was the one good person living in a world of bad people.
Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 01:13 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I think that the thought process was that we were getting a really good PP player, and a player who was coming to play for his team, and would have wanted to show everybody he wasn't done.

But I guess there's a limit to what a guy can do. Still not over...doesn't look good. But not over. At least, if they think Bournival is not ready at C....Brière might have a shot at C on the 4th....
But signing a player needs more than just that, he might be a good PP guy wanting to prove he isn't done, but if he isn't a good fit, then why bother?

I mean it's like us signing another small puck-moving D in the off-season to replace Emelin. He might be good at what he does, but it's not what the team needs.

It's just frustrating because I feel that the team with a couple of shrewd moves could really compete this season. It's missing a couple of pieces to tie everything together, but I feel like we took a step back with this signing.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 01:14 PM
JFB

Hey apparently many teams came up with better offers to Daniel this summer. Maybe one of those teams would take him ?

JFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
But signing a player needs more than just that, he might be a good PP guy wanting to prove he isn't done, but if he isn't a good fit, then why bother?

I mean it's like us signing another small puck-moving D in the off-season to replace Emelin.
Other problem was that surely, a better fit was not in the cards. Probably tried some moves....like Simmonds.....and didn't find any. I have my reservations for Bergevin now, unfortunately, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt that Brière could not be their first and only target. Can't be. If he still aims in those pretty odd directions this year and the year after, benefit of the doubt will slowly but surely stop.

By the way....Bournival-Brière-Moen might not be THAT bad of a line after all. One of the reasons why not that long ago I said that DD on the 4th line, while a demotion, could not have been that bad of a move either.

Old
10-14-2013, 01:19 PM
Andy

Quote:
Other problem was that surely, a better fit was not in the cards. Probably tried some moves....like Simmonds.....and didn't find any. I have my reservations for Bergevin now, unfortunately, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt that Brière could not be their first and only target. Can't be. If he still aims in those pretty odd directions this year and the year after, benefit of the doubt will slowly but surely stop.

By the way....Bournival-Brière-Moen might not be THAT bad of a line after all. One of the reasons why not that long ago I said that DD on the 4th line, while a demotion, could not have been that bad of a move either.
Of course, but there was always the option of not signing him at all?

I just don't why we needed to sign Briere because we struck out on other options. Should Briere even have been an option at all considering the composition of the forward group? Again, it's just frustration on my part.

Old
10-14-2013, 01:19 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
This just confirms how poor of a fit Briere was to begin with. There was no reason to sign him. Desharnais can't play with another smallish winger, but the problem is that everyone on the right side is small (Gallagher, Gionta, Briere). There was simply no room for a Briere type of player, this is what is most frustrating about the signing.

Unless Bergevin really had a plan to move DD, it was just the opposite move of what he should have made.
I agree but there are exceptions. He was alright with Gallagher.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I agree but there are exceptions. He was alright with Gallagher.
Sure, but it's kind of a downer that for Desharnais to succeed he needs to play with the team's best RW and LW, leaving other lines with very little options.

Old
10-14-2013, 01:55 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Sure, but it's kind of a downer that for Desharnais to succeed he needs to play with the team's best RW and LW, leaving other lines with very little options.
I don't see why we can't put him with Bourque and Prust.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 01:56 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
I hope the line changes allow for us to do whats best for the team and succeed. He has alright last game but we'll see if it's consistent. We wouldn't be with anyone considered hot nor the best so I think it's fair.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 01:56 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
I don't see why we can't put him with Bourque and Prust.
We could, but doing so would mean that one of Briere or Gionta would be on the 4th line with Bournival or Moen.

Old
10-14-2013, 01:59 PM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Briere is an immovable object. The only recourse is to dump Desharnais and give his icetime and role to Briere.

Thanks Oba-- Bergevin.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 02:01 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
We could, but doing so would mean that one of Briere or Gionta would be on the 4th line with Bournival or Moen.
Oh right Gio is back now. My bad.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Okay so....it was stupid to put DD on the 4th line but it's okay to put Brière on it? Is Brière going to be DESTROYED because of it?

https://twitter.com/MAGodin/status/389810959252217856

Les trios à l'entraînement: Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher, Pacioretty-Eller-Gionta, Bourque-Desharnais-Prust, Moen-Bournival-Brière (White)
That's what happens when you're stuck with too many smurfs... 'cause what's the alternative? DD,Briere,Gionta? Can't put that line out there...

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Grant McCagg

Briere has been crap - and this is a message saying the club needs more. Nothing wrong with that. That's a solid fourth line, would not be surprised if they get as much TOI as the third unit. Plus Briere should get some good scoring chances matched up against fourth liners.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 03:20 PM
Grant McCagg

DD-mt.jpg

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 03:32 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Not sure people want him fired already,
Of course not. 16 posts into this thread the OP had to write this reminder :

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
DISCLAIMER

This is not a fire Michel Therrien thread.

This is just a centralized place to gripe about the piss poor job he has been doing lately with his ice times and line combos.

If we miss the playoffs, then it will be time for the "Fire Therrien" Thread.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 03:43 PM
habfaninvictoria

Here are our players who can play Centre

Eller, Plekanec, Galchenyuk, White, Bournival, DD

I like the idea of Eller playing with Patches. They are 2 emerging stars and should be getting big ice time together. Gio would be fun to watch with them.

Plekanec has been our strongest forward for the past few year, but never gets any consistency with his wingers. With Eller emerging he move into the 2nd line C role and be our shut down C (he already is, but has been heavily relied on for everything). Putting him with Prust and Bourque provides us with a 2nd line with grit that can score.

Briere looks lost on the wing. Move him to the middle between the kids and let him feed off their energy. Most of our opponents won't have an answer for 3 lines that can score.

Bournival deserves to be in the lineup, rotating him in and out with White, Parros and occasionally Moen sitting out.

DD has no business being in this lineup when it's healthy He fills no need we have. We have players in the minors who can be called up.

Therrien... to get back to the original topic... is in a hard position. When DD was signed he and Patches had some chemistry, but I think that was due more to Cole than anything else. It's hard to bench a player on a contract like his who has put up points in the past. It's harder to justify sitting a player like Bournival who has been playing great and looks to continue to improve. It's equally hard to sit a veteran like Briere who was the off seasons big acquisition. For me... Therrien needs to sit DD. It's not like he's taking an integral piece of the puzzle away.

Send him to the minors and hope he gets claimed on waivers

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 05:10 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
Therrien is wasting this team's talent like Pacioretty and Tinordi by trying to make his buddies Desharnais and Bouillon not look completely useless and to make sure his other buddies at RDS have people to interview after games.

I can't wait for the Antichambre panel next year: Therrien, Desharnais, Bouillon and Darche!
Therrien's favorite on the Habs is named Therrien, not Desharnais or Bouillon. His coaching position hinges on the team's success. There's no margin for favoritism.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 05:13 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Briere has been crap - and this is a message saying the club needs more. Nothing wrong with that. That's a solid fourth line, would not be surprised if they get as much TOI as the third unit. Plus Briere should get some good scoring chances matched up against fourth liners.
I totally agree. But I would have also done that with Desharnais. If it's good for Brière, it has to be good for Desharnais. Let's hope that at the very least, Brière plays center on that line.

Old
10-14-2013, 06:12 PM
thaivuN
Cynical Narcissist.

vCash: 187
Quote:
Considering how Gionta has shown some chemistry with Eller last year and that DD didn't look like crap with Bourque and Prust, I really don't care if poor Briere is on the 4th line as long we have 3 functional offensive lines.

thaivuN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:13 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Agreed!!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 07:17 PM
habsfanatics

How could anyone have predicted this

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
I totally agree. But I would have also done that with Desharnais. If it's good for Brière, it has to be good for Desharnais. Let's hope that at the very least, Brière plays center on that line.
That's the thing. It should have been done to DD as well, and for more than a couple periods.

Also, one of them is an old veteran that we knew was on the decline, and he's playing off position. Is Therrien really surprised he isn't ripping it up? Because I sure am not, and I think many aren't either.
But DD, he's young, and people expected a bounce back year. I felt the same, except when I saw he was going to center MaxPac and Briere, no way I thought this was going to work.
Was very disappointed in the lines Therrien decide to stick with in camp. He didn't even try different combinations. That's what you do in camp.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 05:21 PM
Native

i think where therrien has done well is in how he's treated the young players. being conscious of their minutes, putting them in situations to succeed, teaching accountability.

my biggest disappointment with him is his favoritism to his pet players. boullion and armstrong were not good signings and therrien had a big influence on getting them here. yes, they're good team guys, good attitudes etc. however, they haven't strengthen our team.

i was at least relieved that armstrong wasn't resigned but extending boullion wasn't a good move.

Native is offline   Reply With Quote