HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread XX

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2013, 01:35 AM
clay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaFan View Post
Go look up the name "Brett Maclean" in hockeydb and check out his impressive stats. Then look at who his linemate was for those seasons and you'll see why an 11 game goal-per-game 5th year 20 yo playing on a line with McDavid doesn't excite me terribly ...
I agree with your point that the stats of over-agers have very little bearing on how they will project as as pros, but Brett MacLean isn't the best example. I think he would have developed into a solid NHLer if he didn't have to retire due to a heart condition.

Old
10-20-2013, 01:50 AM
NuxFan09

Dan Gendur anyone?

Old
10-20-2013, 11:26 AM
CanaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay View Post
I agree with your point that the stats of over-agers have very little bearing on how they will project as as pros, but Brett MacLean isn't the best example. I think he would have developed into a solid NHLer if he didn't have to retire due to a heart condition.
Perhaps, but I wouldn't say his progression from 2007 to 2012 had him as a sure thing to play in the NHL, let alone be an impactful player. Similar comparison could be made for Danny Roussin playing with Crosby in 2005. Massively inflated stats for an older player who had previously - as a 16 or 17 year old - not been over PPG. Too much of their production seems to be a function of age and a star linemate so that their mediocre talent results in eye popping production. In every case, the player fails to make an impact in the NHL or even stick long term.

Old
10-20-2013, 03:12 PM
RobertKron

Pierro-Zabotel is another example. Led the WHL in points his overage season, now in the German second division putting up worse stats than Pat White did last year.

Last edited by RobertKron: 10-20-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old
10-20-2013, 03:52 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKron View Post
Pierro-Zabotel is another example. Led the WHL in points his overage season, now in the German second division putting up worse stats than Pat White did last year.
Yeah but c'mon it was Patrick freakin White!

Old
10-20-2013, 04:35 PM
timw33

Quote:
There are tons of these examples. Overagers ripping it up against 17/18 year olds is to be expected. Especially when they play on lines with future 1st rounders.

Old
10-20-2013, 05:22 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
There are tons of these examples. Overagers ripping it up against 17/18 year olds is to be expected. Especially when they play on lines with future 1st rounders.
I chose him because I vaguely remember folks on this forum talking that year like he was a future NHLer.

Old
10-20-2013, 05:28 PM
timw33

Quote:
I chose him because I vaguely remember folks on this forum talking that year like he was a future NHLer.
But, but, but, stats. He has teh stats so he NHL.

Old
10-20-2013, 05:41 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
But, but, but, stats. He has teh stats so he NHL.
Who cares if he skates like he has three broken legs (At least I remember that being a thing with him)? I can find at least one example of a bad skater being a productive NHLer, so that means that bad skating is not in any way a detriment to someone's chances of being an NHLer. Because of the one guy that I remembered.

Old
10-20-2013, 06:08 PM
thefeebster

Just watched the Medicine Hat game from yesterday.

Shinkaruk made a nice back pass behind the net for his assist. Right on the tape for his teammate next to the net.

There was one instance where Shinkaruk was driving into the offensive zone. He dodged a hit leading to two Brandon defenders hitting each other.

For Shinkaruk's goal, he won a faceoff back to his defender who took a slapper. Rebound went on the tape of Shinkaruk beside the net, sharp angle tap in for the goal. Odd that he took that faceoff, no one was waved out. He lined up on the LW for the majority of the game.

He's playing a lot of minutes; plays both PP and PK. He was taking a lot shots, a lot missed the net or were blocked.

---------

Cederholm's assist was just moving the puck up the ice from the defensive zone to the neutral zone.

He has been paired with Pouliot, which is nice. He is on the first PK unit, but did not see him on the PP. They went with Pouliot and Haar, respectively on the 1st/2nd unit.

Overall, a steady game for Cederholm. I'd like to see him more aggressive in all areas, specifically in the physical aspect. I also found that he deferred to Pouliot perhaps too much in moving the puck up the ice.

Old
10-20-2013, 06:23 PM
timw33

Quote:
Who cares if he skates like he has three broken legs (At least I remember that being a thing with him)? I can find at least one example of a bad skater being a productive NHLer, so that means that bad skating is not in any way a detriment to someone's chances of being an NHLer. Because of the one guy that I remembered.
Jason Allison comes to mind as a horrific skater who could still put up points (less so as the game got faster)

Old
10-20-2013, 06:39 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Jason Allison comes to mind as a horrific skater who could still put up points (less so as the game got faster)
So you're saying Pierro-Zabotel still has a chance, right?

Old
10-20-2013, 06:39 PM
tc23
#StopSbieksa2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Just watched the Medicine Hat game from yesterday.

Shinkaruk made a nice back pass behind the net for his assist. Right on the tape for his teammate next to the net.

There was one instance where Shinkaruk was driving into the offensive zone. He dodged a hit leading to two Brandon defenders hitting each other.

For Shinkaruk's goal, he won a faceoff back to his defender who took a slapper. Rebound went on the tape of Shinkaruk beside the net, sharp angle tap in for the goal. Odd that he took that faceoff, no one was waved out. He lined up on the LW for the majority of the game.

He's playing a lot of minutes; plays both PP and PK. He was taking a lot shots, a lot missed the net or were blocked.

---------

Cederholm's assist was just moving the puck up the ice from the defensive zone to the neutral zone.

He has been paired with Pouliot, which is nice. He is on the first PK unit, but did not see him on the PP. They went with Pouliot and Haar, respectively on the 1st/2nd unit.

Overall, a steady game for Cederholm. I'd like to see him more aggressive in all areas, specifically in the physical aspect. I also found that he deferred to Pouliot perhaps too much in moving the puck up the ice.
Thanks for your thoughts, feebster. I haven't been able to catch any prospects games in a while with all the midterms and crap piling up this month so I really appreciate the insight and commentary on the kids.

Old
10-20-2013, 07:38 PM
timw33

Cassels 2A

Old
10-20-2013, 07:40 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Cassels 2A
Didn't watch the game because of the Canucks but i will once its archived. I switched once the Canucks were losing in the final minute to catch Oshawa's SO win.

No one scored on either side besides Cassels for the shoot out winner. Just a simple shot on net.

Last edited by thefeebster: 10-20-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old
10-20-2013, 07:45 PM
Linden*
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Thanks for your insight Feebs

Old
10-20-2013, 09:11 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Thanks for that feebs! How is his defensive game at the WHL level? I remember there were questions about it at the draft but from watching him in preseason I thought it wasn't as big a deal as some were making it out to be.

Old
10-20-2013, 09:23 PM
jammyrft

Thanks feebs

Old
10-20-2013, 09:49 PM
thefeebster

Cassels collects a turnover by the Soo in the defensive zone, two on one with Dal Colle. Makes a really nice pass to Dal Colle, whose shot was saved.

Generals got into a lot of penalty trouble in the first. Cassels saw a lot of time on the PK. He and Laughton were paired on the 5-on-3, unfortunately, they were scored on. They continued to PK... Their PK shifts are well over 1 minute each. Cassels had a nice blocked shot and drew a tripping penalty from Tolchinsky. The coach left Cassels and Laughton on the PK 4-on-3 now. They played again more than 1 minute.

Cassels is on the 1st PP unit along with Sterk/Laughton/Dal Colle/Vande Sompel.

2nd period, Cassels takes a tripping penalty. Great shift by Cassels/Laughton/Dal Colle; impressive forechecking by Cassels. Wins the battle on the board, walks out of the half wall. Takes a nice shot, creates a rebound and Dal Colle taps it in. Cassels saw some time on the 2nd PP unit. Had a good slapshot on that PP.

3rd period, Cassel's 2nd assist was just a pass to Laughton who skated the puck up ice and a sick toe drag and shot for the goal. Had two breakaways that he created himself, but it didn't amount to much. Made a nice pass to Laughton springing him into the off zone. Chippy play by Cassels this period; also really like the way he supports his D. Had a open net on a Dal Colle rebound but he shoots wide. Good night on the dot.

I think his acceleration can improve as well as his conditioning; those might be linked, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Thanks for that feebs! How is his defensive game at the WHL level? I remember there were questions about it at the draft but from watching him in preseason I thought it wasn't as big a deal as some were making it out to be.
Just okay. Isn't a liability.

Old
10-20-2013, 09:51 PM
How Ya Drouin
12/08/13 GM GamesRIP

Olli Maata appears to be staying in the NHL so guess what that most likely means?

BoHo gets the C

Old
10-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Mitts McCann

Whats the deal with the road to the memorial cup? When is it supposed to air?

Old
10-21-2013, 11:51 AM
ahmon

First time I saw cole cassels play , he reminded me of dave bolland.

Chippy, heads up, and really supports the defense and does alot of little things well.

I think we have 2 of our future top 3 C in horvat/cassels.

Again cant stop praising our 2013 draft.

Whoever gets to watch ben hutton plz update, high on him as well.

Old
10-21-2013, 02:05 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post

Chippy, heads up, and really supports the defense and does alot of little things well.

I think we have 2 of our future top 3 C in horvat/cassels.

Again cant stop praising our 2013 draft.

Whoever gets to watch ben hutton plz update, high on him as well.
But like, minus living in a trailer park, right?

Old
10-21-2013, 02:06 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Whats the deal with the road to the memorial cup? When is it supposed to air?
First episode was yesterday afternoon.

Old
10-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post

That's a good comparison. He does look a lot like Bolland, though likely won't match Bolland's offense from Juniors.

I'm a big fan of that draft as well. The 1st 4 rds look like they could yield some gems. And boy does Gillis need a couple hits...

Closed Thread