HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boucher on TSN 690

Old
11-20-2013, 09:51 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Boucher on TSN 690

Anybody hear him on this morning?
I believe he was on last week too, I think it's part of a new segment with Tony around 11:30 am.

I must say though, it was refreshing to hear speak like he actually knows what he's talking about.
As much as people hate on him for the Philly game, I think he'd be a perfect fit here.
Don't want to turn this into a Therrien hate thread, but knowing this site there's a good chance it'll turn to that.
But I'll be very disappointed if we miss out on getting this guy here.

Here's the podcast if anybody is interested.

http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcentre/#id=25138 &id=17

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 10:23 PM
poetryinmotion

I think we can talk about Therrien without bashing him. And the criticism is more than warranted.

Secure this man asap, give him a job in the org. and we wait for Therrien's eventual demise. Very refreshing listening to him. His game speeches wouldn't be pee-wee like either, letting players know exactly what he wants out of them.

Just listening to him talk, and reflecting on our current staff, I have no idea what we were thinking. This man is an innovator and has an amazing hockey mind.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Habbadasher

Boucher had a great first year in TB, and great success in Hamilton. Intriguing guy to have back in the org.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 10:27 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Just needs to have a year on L'Antichambre and he'll have a job in one year.

(didn't listen to the podcast when I made this post)

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 10:36 PM
vfactor

Seems like a very smart guy. His example of St-Louis zone entrance is great. I totally agree with him on goalies and defense in the NHL getting too good. I also like the way he talked about different systems basically the same, no space hokey. He sounds much smarter than Therrien anyways But then, hockey is played on the ice.

vfactor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 10:40 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I wouldn't mind Boucher but some people talk a great game and that's why people and guys with job are interested in them all the time but it doesn't mean they are going to bring results. Look at Maguire.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 50
I'm fine with giving Therrien the rest of the year + maybe next year. No extension for him but we don't have to fire him. Maybe after 3-4 years of him not getting another NHL deal he'll agree to coach our farm team. I think making young guys accountable for their actions would actually be good at the AHL level.

Ezpz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 10:59 PM
LyricalLyricist

I lol'd because a lot of his bench management techniques are the same as Therrien based on this podcast.

Likes Desharnais
Would split up lines
Would promote 3rd and 4th liners without hesitation
Would change lines to create urgency

Everything people complain about now. He's probably just a better communicator.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 11:04 PM
keepcalmandbeninja

Quote:
He's probably just a better communicator.
Interesting how Molson, Savard and MT himself emphasized the importance of communication...

In fact Molson/Savard said they would higher a great communicator...or words to that effect....and then MB got the job then he said the same thing and MT got the job...communication...it is a field of study in academia.

keepcalmandbeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 11:05 PM
Saintpatrick

If the Habs want to continue the practice of hiring French only coaches then they should be signed, groomed in the QMJHL and brought up the pipeline just like a player eould be. Boucher was poached from us and he should have been JM's successor IMO.

Saintpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 11:06 PM
Alexdaman

Well let me remind everyone that Boucher was fired last year and the lightning failed to make the PO and look at where TB stands now.

I think Boucher can do some good, but if his issue was over-coaching it won't go well here. The team currently seems to be well bonded together and I'm hopeful to see us move up by the end of the year.

I think Boucher would do best in a team that re-building its roster.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 11:08 PM
vfactor

It's true that it's much easier to talk about it on radio then winning games on the ice. At the end of the day, in any sport, the best coach would be the one getting the most out of his players and make them follow the same the direction, have the same goal and fight the same battle every single day. The 'system' is secondary. At this level, there's no revolutionary concept you can bring to 'surprise' anyone

vfactor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 12:09 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
why does everybody forget that this 'genius' got fired from tampa bay? a team currently sitting at the top of the eastern conference. if he was so ****ing good, he'd still be there

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Well let me remind everyone that Boucher was fired last year and the lightning failed to make the PO and look at where TB stands now.

I think Boucher can do some good, but if his issue was over-coaching it won't go well here. The team currently seems to be well bonded together and I'm hopeful to see us move up by the end of the year.

beaten

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 12:17 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Tampa has a 500 record against the east. They are artificially high because they are better suited to face western conference teams than other eastern teams. The majority of their games will be against the East and they will fall out of the playoffs.

Old
11-21-2013, 12:22 AM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Tampa has a 500 record against the east. They are artificially high because they are better suited to face western conference teams than other eastern teams. The majority of their games will be against the East and they will fall out of the playoffs.
are you serious? cause a sign would do fine here.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 12:30 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
I'm sorry I look at more than one number when analyzing trends in the NHL.

Old
11-21-2013, 12:31 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
they wouldnt be the first team in history to fade after a great start, not saying it will happen but let's not act as if the actual standings will be the same at seasons end.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 12:39 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
they wouldnt be the first team in history to fade after a great start, not saying it will happen but let's not act as if the actual standings will be the same at seasons end.
To be fair to Tampa, they will be missing Stamkos for awhile, which does not help. Yet it is worth reminding everyone how well Tampa looked early on last season as well.

Also worth pointing out is that Boucher did not have Ben Bishop in his tenure. What makes this striking is that despite Bishop's success so far this season, Anders Lindback continues to suck, with a 1-4 record and a putrid .875% in net. Compare that to Bishop, who is currently 13-3 with a .921% to go with it. I am not saying their new coach has not had a positive effect, but it is worth mentioning that better goaltending can help.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 01:37 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
why does everybody forget that this 'genius' got fired from tampa bay? a team currently sitting at the top of the eastern conference. if he was so ****ing good, he'd still be there
Most of the coaches in the NHL have been fired before. If that's your argument, then why did we bring a guy that already had a second chance to coach in the NHL and failed at it again??

They have some pretty good rookies performing this year, and most importantly, having Ben Bishop instead of Garon, Lindback, or Desjardins, certainly must have something to do with it.
He was inevitably going to lose his job. It happens to most new coaches. It's not for nothing the average years of a coach under the same team is 2-3.

Boucher also had an amazing rookie year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I lol'd because a lot of his bench management techniques are the same as Therrien based on this podcast.

Likes Desharnais
Would split up lines
Would promote 3rd and 4th liners without hesitation
Would change lines to create urgency

Everything people complain about now. He's probably just a better communicator.
He said he likes all the guys he coached, not sure what that has much to do with it.
He had a good relationship with all the kids. Doesn't mean he would go out of his way to make DD work.
He said he would split up the lines if we were losing, and he's right. But it's not because you lose a game that lines need changing.
He didn't say he'd promote a 3rd or 4th liner, he said if the 3rd line is the hottest on a giving night, then he'll be using it more. In other words, his best guys are his best guys. I'm pretty sure he thinks PK is better than Bouillon, so we'd likely see more of PK in the dying minutes.

People complain about Therrien because they don't see a system in place. They see PK not being used on the Penalty kill or in the dying minutes. They see the team play defensive in OT. They see Therrien completely diss PK in the media, they see him flat out put the whole blame of a loss on him (already pretty darn stupid to blame a whole loss on one player for 1-2 plays), they see Plekanec's being numbed down to a checking line, they see a coach that constantly fails to adjust (being 0-7-1 I believe when trailing after 2 periods is pretty telling), etc..
That's why people criticize Therrien, it's not because he's made some line changes, and it's not because Boucher thinks you should mix up lines if your team keeps losing that they have the same bench management.

Quote:

We've often seen teams do well early and then fall down deep in the standings. It even happened to us a couple times in the not so distant past.
Also, pretty sure Bishop having a .921% with 13W 3L is a big reason why they're doing better this year, especially considering the back up is 1-4 with .875.

Boucher would be perfect for this team.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 01:44 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I wouldn't mind Boucher but some people talk a great game and that's why people and guys with job are interested in them all the time but it doesn't mean they are going to bring results. Look at Maguire.
Pierre McGuire is a bonified moron. He has absolutely no tactical or strategic understanding of the game. McGuire is just an enormous fanboy with a collection of stats and silly facts. To a fan who doesn't know much this might be impressive but to those in the know......he is a fool.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 01:48 AM
PsychoticHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post

edit:

beaten
So the fact that he was stuck with Garon, Lindback, and Desjardins had nothing to do with his demise in TB?

Giving up 4-5 goals on a nearly game basis for a while, regardless of the shot count, will make any game difficult to win.

Is he the answer? Who knows, but that last year in TB had more than just him as a factor.

PsychoticHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 05:05 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

No way...he was fired before? Guess what? So was Julien and Vigneault. He'd be a great asset. That somehow I believe we'll lose....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 07:17 AM
yoyo999

Desharnais, Pacioretty and Subban all excelled in the AHL when he was with Hamilton. he won coach of the year that year and went to the East Finals. He knows these players and they know him.

I'd be all for sacking Lefebvre and putting Boucher there, however I don't see Boucher taking an AHL job right now. I can probably see him going back to the Q or even Mcgill to keep his coaching muscle in shape. A job he could leave if an NHL team came knocking.

One does have to question why he hasn't got a job anywhere since being fired by the lightning. I understand they're probably still paying him so he's in no rush, but what's the deal?

yoyo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 08:32 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo999 View Post
Desharnais, Pacioretty and Subban all excelled in the AHL when he was with Hamilton. he won coach of the year that year and went to the East Finals. He knows these players and they know him.

I'd be all for sacking Lefebvre and putting Boucher there, however I don't see Boucher taking an AHL job right now. I can probably see him going back to the Q or even Mcgill to keep his coaching muscle in shape. A job he could leave if an NHL team came knocking.

One does have to question why he hasn't got a job anywhere since being fired by the lightning. I understand they're probably still paying him so he's in no rush, but what's the deal?
He probably thinks he's next in line in Montreal once Therrien is gone, and that's the job he's really gunning for.

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 08:36 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I have absolutely no doubt that if Boucher was the coach of this team, he'd be facing the exact same amount of criticism, and likely from the same source(s).

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote