HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXIV

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2013, 06:36 PM
Langway
\_(ツ)_/

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
BTW as for the content of his comments, spot on. Inmates running the asylum. I remember when Boudreau used to take all the heat for that atmosphere. Clearly its an organizational issue.
Yeah, pretty fair to say. You would think then that at some point a competent General Manager would bring in an established NHL head coach that knows how to walk the line and command respect for the process. Nope.

Sure, Holtby needs to back it up but real teams don't have one or two leaders and there's no need to overshadow anyone else. There's always some form of drama or dissent with the Caps to the point where it's just tedious and predictable now.

Old
10-30-2013, 06:50 PM
capitalsrock

vCash: 500
Orlov called up from Hershey

It's about damn time

Old
10-30-2013, 07:58 PM
Koized

It's embarrassing that at this level they have been called out by a teammate for not being prepared.

This is obviously something the players themselves are responsible for but I also believe that Boudreau, McPhee and Oates share a large portion of this lack of preparation.

Boudreau let the players do whatever they wanted and it was a total "country club" atmosphere, this has really hindered the development of the core players on the team who I believe would be much more well rounded if they played on a team with a more professional approach to hockey.

McPhee has allowed this attitude and approach to continue too long and when he hired someone that didn't seem to accept it in Hunter he was let go soon after (not saying I believe Hunter was the best coach for this team).

Now you have Oates who seems to care more about being best friends with certain players and guys having their sticks on the right side of the ice then making changes to this atmosphere. I guess you could also direct a portion of this blame further on McPhee as Oates may be worried about his tenure if he is too much of a disciplinarian like Hunter as he knows McPhee is untouchable since its been 15 years and he hasn't done a thing with this team with a generational talent on it * reaching the Stanley Cup Finals with Poile's team in the first year doesn't count.

The more time passes the more I'm feeling that Oates is more suitable as an assistant coach. He seems more involved in the small details and wants to be friends with the players which are more assistant coach tasks. Its hard to say as an outsider but there are huge issues which can easily be seen and aren't addressed. The fact that it took so long for Erskine to get scratched, Erat to be promoted, and Fehr to be moved back to wing are huge warning signs. The basic strategy seems to be to get dominated for the majority of the game and hope the PP or Ovechkin bails the team out. The passing and breakouts are the major issues which aren't improving and causing the team to spend way too much time in their own zone. I would honestly love to see what Ovechkin's stats would be on a team that could move the puck well and provide the necessary support, there are so many shifts where he doesn't even get to touch the puck since we can't get it out of our own zone. Not saying he isn't to blame for part of the issues in our zone but you watch the Penguins play and Crosby gets such a benefit from the overall team play of the Penguins and the way they move the puck.

Old
10-30-2013, 08:17 PM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

@Koized

Old
10-30-2013, 08:55 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

Lets remember there was another coach before Boudreau before we continue to foster this fantasy that their development and tendencies as professionals were ruined by one guy. This is an organizational issue IMO. The development paths of 8, 19, 52 and 28, 21 and more were well under way when Boudreau arrived.

You see what happened when a hard nosed Canadian came in tried to make the stars of this franchise accountable. Wasn't pretty. They need someone in-between, someone who can foster the confidence AND teach accountability and preparation.

All things Hockey Operations fall under one man. If he's not willing to change the culture of the team, it's never going to happen.

Old
10-30-2013, 09:48 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
I'd prefer my goalie back up his words on the ice. Talking a big game is nice and all, but results speak louder. Last time he called them out in the playoffs, then laid an egg in goal the next night out....

They DO need leadership in the worst way, not just the lip service we hear from multiple players.

BTW as for the content of his comments, spot on. Inmates running the asylum. I remember when Boudreau used to take all the heat for that atmosphere. Clearly its an organizational issue.
This was a big part of me wanting BB gone. To go with a total lack of adjustments. But I never thought the county club atmosphere was started with him. He just did nothing to control it. And just like BB said himself "Sometime you have to pull the goalie (fire the coach) just to send a message to the team." And we were out of messages. You can not fire the team so sometime the coach has to go even if things not a 100% on the coach.

Old
10-31-2013, 03:50 AM
Acallabeth
Curses & prophecies

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyourfault View Post
lines are
Rat - Nicky - Fehrsy
Mojo - Brooks - Brouwer
Chimers - Grabo - Wardo
Volpatti - Latta - Wilson

oates, you cant be serious
Deep balanced team
But the middle 6 line looks great!

Orlov... before 1 turnover.

Old
10-31-2013, 06:30 AM
Ahimsa

I'm curious about Holtby's comment about the music in the dressing room prior to game time. I know music is used to pump up a team and to bring the team together. I think I recall Chicago mentioning they were all on the same page for music with their first Stanley Cup win.

Old
10-31-2013, 07:28 AM
BobRouse

I agree they need more energy to start games but its my belief that they just don't look like they are enthusiastic or have the proper energy. The vibe is absent.

The vibe can come from anger/intensity or happy/confidence but neither is there.

Old
10-31-2013, 07:49 AM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

The source of energy for most teams, is their energy line. Our team, they largely just stand around and wait for Ovi to energize the place.

It will be interesting to see an Oviless team Friday night. No one would have predicted that in his absences in the past, that we actually scored more goals with him out of the lineup.

I predict Volpatti Latta and Wilson will fill the void. Watch for it.

Old
10-31-2013, 08:19 AM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I agree they need more energy to start games but its my belief that they just don't look like they are enthusiastic or have the proper energy. The vibe is absent.

The vibe can come from anger/intensity or happy/confidence but neither is there.
Good point - I think the Blackhawks, Red Wings, Sharks and Pens are teams where the energy comes from happy/confidence. And that's how Bruce pumped up the energy of this team when he first got here; it worked all the way through the Montreal series - but if you don't have real success, you can't stay happy and confident, which is what happened to us. Dale offered a way back to where they were before through grinding intensity, but the group (really the organization) mutinied. They didn't want to be like that. So no grinding/intensity and no happy/confidence = not much success.

I'll be interested to see if our overall team defense is more solid this weekend. For all that Ovie means to this team offensively (and it's a lot), I think he's an anchor on the D side of the ice. That in no way means we're better off without him - it means that he has to accept that sometimes there are shifts where he's not going to get the puck with speed exiting the zone. That's obvious - since there are way too many shifts where the whole first line is hemmed in their zone. But Ovi seems more focused defensively on when he can leave the zone, than he is on playing defense in the zone. But that just hems us in some more.

I think that's what Chimera was trying to say the other night - the team should focus more on getting pucks out and getting pucks in, and less on always trying to create a scoring chance off the rush. My guess is they do that this weekend.

Old
10-31-2013, 08:26 AM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

I think I remember learning in college that it is a myth, that a happy worker, is a productive worker.

I am not sure how it translates to hockey though, since they can't show up late for games, call in sick the day after a holiday, or surf on the web when on the PP. Their daily job performance is available on a stat sheet.

Generally, we want to know all our players are happy and that times are good in the locker room. George seems to favor good foot soldiers.

Maybe that is a problem. He is more concerned about building a locker room more than compiling complimentary players on the ice.

We show up on the ice, and we are a bunch of locker room do gooders... ok nerds.

Old
10-31-2013, 08:33 AM
BrooklynCapsFan

Quote:

It's probably pretty demoralizing to know that you play on a team that has no chance of competing for a championship, or even winning most of your games. I imagine that takes a toll.

Old
10-31-2013, 09:07 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

No ovie, this can get ugly.

Old
10-31-2013, 09:18 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
It's probably pretty demoralizing to know that you play on a team that has no chance of competing for a championship, or even winning most of your games. I imagine that takes a toll.
I think it has more to do with the ghost of underachievement hanging around the franchise.

Whatever the reason for it I feel it tangibly just by watching the games on TV right now.

Its not the lack of talent or ability. I don't believe it to be the coaching either. There is just an air of staleness right now and that needs to change.

Old
10-31-2013, 09:38 AM
BrooklynCapsFan

Quote:
I think it has more to do with the ghost of underachievement hanging around the franchise.

Whatever the reason for it I feel it tangibly just by watching the games on TV right now.

Its not the lack of talent or ability. I don't believe it to be the coaching either. There is just an air of staleness right now and that needs to change.
You don't see a lack of talent? Half of our starting defense on any given night should not be playing in the NHL.

Old
10-31-2013, 09:42 AM
capsfan528

Quote:
You don't see a lack of talent? Half of our starting defense on any given night should not be playing in the NHL.
what this guy said.

Old
10-31-2013, 09:53 AM
trick9

vCash: 701
They need someone to balance out that first-line, since Backstrom don't seem to be able to do that (alone) anymore. Sure it's nice to have Johansson in there since he is improving but they need someone who has better two-way game. That really showed in the Vancouver game and i could only watch and envy what Kesler was doing in the Sedin's line.

Sure, that's just a one step and not even the most important one (defense), but it needs to be fixed if they want to get deeper in the playoffs.

Old
10-31-2013, 09:54 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Urbom and Oleksy should be in the NHL, imo. Oleksy shouldn't be relied upon as much as we rely upon him, though.
TBD with regards to Orlov.

Old
10-31-2013, 10:43 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Laich moved to wing, MoJo 2C.

Old
10-31-2013, 11:02 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Let me put it this way...its not due to talent that we have not looked great this year. Its the lack of energy and enthusiasm.

Have you seen our D starting from the 07-08 season? We've made the playoffs every year and in alot of those years looked very good doing it. There was a youthful exhuberance and comraderie that BB brought to this team back then.

Its as if we've gone from a party animal to a total stiff over time.

Our D was worse as a group in 08-09 and 09-10 and we had dominant teams then. Outside of Green and Poti we had a bunch of cast offs. We had a bit more skill up front (and a lot less grit) but that wasn't the reason for our energetic play then.

Old
10-31-2013, 11:10 AM
Jedgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
Why not Mojo 3c?

Old
10-31-2013, 11:16 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Dan Rosen @drosennhl
Canadiens announce that they've signed Alex Emelin to a four-year contract extension.
Ugh.... good physical dman off the market.

Old
10-31-2013, 11:19 AM
Xaroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
Oates seems ready to go down with the ship on that 21-20 pairing. I don't get it. That line is going to be a disaster.

Old
10-31-2013, 11:21 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Adam Vingan @AdamVingan
Oates also revealed that Ovechkin hurt himself while being pulled down prior to his penalty against the Canucks. #Caps
If that's his own wording, its an interesting choice and annoying considering the last time he blamed a player for their own injury was... Perreault who they could really use.

Last edited by SimplySensational: 10-31-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Closed Thread