HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXIV

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2013, 11:57 PM
Burakovsky95*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
One trade wouldn't change the culture, no. But it could help address the team's weaknesses and create a more balanced and cohesive roster.
Oh for sure. I just don't see the path this team is headed down changing much unless we deal a Mike Green or a Brooks Laich or even potentially a Nicklas Backstrom (don't yell at me, don't want this, just spouting off ideas) all in one offseason. What it's been 22 years and we've made it past the 2nd round once?

Old
10-13-2013, 02:03 AM
Prospector74

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
So....is there another underachieving team with high expectations whose needs line up with the Caps areas of strength and vice versa?
Well, not underachieving since we were expected to stink but any chance Buffalo is a team with which the Caps could work a deal?

Could be had from Buffalo:

Miller
Vanek
Ott
Ehrhoff
Ennis
Stafford
Kaleta
Weber
McBain

Not sure if any of those (or a combo of those fits the bill for Washington). If they do, what would you offer back? Ideally looking for young wing prospects. Also, Buffalo can retain salary or take back a cap dump (less than 2 year left on contract) to sweeten pot if needed.

Edit: from HF Yevgeni Kuznetsov, Tom Wilson, Andre Burakovsky are interesting (NOTE: don't know how they're doing or true value so if one of them is untouchable offense not intended by mentioning their name - just my ignorance regarding non-Sabres prospects).

Last edited by Prospector74: 10-13-2013 at 02:12 AM.
Old
10-13-2013, 02:28 AM
Burakovsky95*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector74 View Post
Well, not underachieving since we were expected to stink but any chance Buffalo is a team with which the Caps could work a deal?

Miller
Vanek
Ott
Ehrhoff
Ennis
Stafford
Kaleta
Weber
McBain

Not sure if any of those (or a combo of those fits the bill for Washington). If they do, what would you offer back? Ideally looking for young wing prospects. Also, Buffalo can retain salary or take back a cap dump (less than 2 year left on contract) to sweeten pot if needed.

Edit: from HF Yevgeni Kuznetsov, Tom Wilson, Andre Burakovsky are interesting (NOTE: don't know how they're doing or true value so if one of them is untouchable offense not intended by mentioning their name - just my ignorance regarding non-Sabres prospects).
I love Vanek and he'd finally be the fit on the Ovie-Backstrom line but his salary would definitely not fit this year unless we moved two bigger contracts. Not to mention he's a FA after this year. Ehrhoff would be the other piece I'd definitely love. Not sure what we'd send back. I'm pretty sure after the Forsberg fiasco Kuzya, Wilson and Burakovsky are all untouchable but I could see us trading Marcus Johansson young winger wise. Other pieces available potentially Erat, Laich, Neuvirth, and our wealth of depth in the young D department.

Old
10-13-2013, 03:32 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector74 View Post

Miller
Vanek
Ott
Ehrhoff
Ennis
Stafford
Kaleta
Weber
McBain

Please take any or all of Green, Laich and Brouwer. The kids are off limits. The last thing we need is for GMGM to try to fix this mess he has been building for years.

BLOW it up please!

Old
10-13-2013, 06:17 AM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 50
You don't talk trade until after your coach has tried obvious lineup tweaks. Oates will see all the positives from last night and I expect the exact same lines, maybe throw in Latta or Orlov.

There is nothing he can do when his goalies suck. You almost have to laugh at the futility of the situation. Does anything think our goalies even look like they are competing for the number 1 job? George injects his own players with fat cat disease. We may need the Grub before too long.

That said, moving out a single player no one was expecting can change the culture in the room, overnight. Shape up or you will be shipped out next, slacker. But it has to be a big name/mouth, something George is hesitant to do. He would rather extend that player.

Which is the problem.

Old
10-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Prospector74

Thanks for the feedback Mr. Gone and LetsGoCaps19. Some interest in Marcus Johansson as part of a deal maybe with picks. Not interested in Erat, Laich, Neuvirth, or young D (plenty in pipeline for us). Really would like to pry some of your young talent out but won't insult you guys with offers as it is clear they are viewed as untouchable. If Wash GM changes thoughts in that area, feel our teams could work a deal. Again, thanks for the feedback and good luck with upcoming games.

Old
10-13-2013, 11:53 AM
tmljeh19

The obvious trade value for us should be mojo and Orlov. Mojo isn't a fit at C and isn't a fit at 1 LW. Orlov clearly pissed someone off so you might as well get the value for him while he still has it before he bolts to the KHL. that being said I expect nothing of the sort.

Old
10-13-2013, 12:21 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmljeh19 View Post
The obvious trade value for us should be mojo and Orlov. Mojo isn't a fit at C and isn't a fit at 1 LW. Orlov clearly pissed someone off so you might as well get the value for him while he still has it before he bolts to the KHL. that being said I expect nothing of the sort.
MoJo isn't a fit, but the line is the highest scoring in the NHL for the last 30 games.

Old
10-13-2013, 12:23 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

This is a team without much skills on the wings and hard pressed against the salary cap. Yet people still want to trade one of the skilled wingers we have who's signed to a mere $2M deal?

Old
10-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Burakovsky95*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
This is a team without much skills on the wings and hard pressed against the salary cap. Yet people still want to trade one of the skilled wingers we have who's signed to a mere $2M deal?

In a trade for a more skilled experienced wing..... Yes

Old
10-13-2013, 12:51 PM
Liberati0n*

Quote:

The idea is that certain internet message board posters who are fans of the $2M winger will be sent to Buffalo with him.

Old
10-13-2013, 01:11 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:

I'd love for you to define what his skills are. And what kind of production you would expect from him on a second line somewhere.

Raymond is a more skilled version of Johansson. He sat available as a UFA for months and wound up signing for $1 million.

It's a moot point really. I don't think he has much value around the league.

Old
10-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Koized

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I'd love for you to define what his skills are. And what kind of production you would expect from him on a second line somewhere.

Raymond is a more skilled version of Johansson. He sat available as a UFA for months and wound up signing for $1 million.

It's a moot point really. I don't think he has much value around the league.
I think he would still have decent value around the league based on his age. Some organization would likely feel that they could develop him better and would value him accordingly.

I always thought he looked better at center than wing myself. I know his stats don't indicate that but that is also biased by the fact he plays with Ovechkin and Backstrom when he is winger and gets more minutes.

Old
10-13-2013, 01:29 PM
Burakovsky95*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koized View Post
I think he would still have decent value around the league based on his age. Some organization would likely feel that they could develop him better and would value him accordingly.

I always thought he looked better at center than wing myself. I know his stats don't indicate that but that is also biased by the fact he plays with Ovechkin and Backstrom when he is winger and gets more minutes.
I also don't think he benefits from playing with Backstrom and Ovechkin as much as people believe. I tend to believe he'd do better on the 2nd line away from the opposition's top D pairing. He also needs to shoot the damn puck more but that comes with confidence which has always been a problem with MoJo.

Old
10-13-2013, 01:41 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Some of you really let your hatred of Mojo cloud your judgement. Do we really need to define his skillset? He's less skilled than Mason Raymond?

He's one of the fastest players on the team on a team that regularly gets out-skated. He's one of the few players on the team who can gain the zone with regularity. He's one of the few players who are actually creative with the puck and are willing to use one-touch passes.

Just because he's not a 6'4" power forward who plows through people and wins every board battle doesn't mean he's not a useful player. And he certainly provides terrific production for his price.

Old
10-13-2013, 01:53 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

How many years are we going to talk about getting a wing to play with our two supper stars up on the first line? Or will we ever find someone to play with the great Mike Green?

If any of these player were as good as a lot of you think. They would carry the load themselves and not need someone to play with.

Mojo will play at a 50 point pace for 2mill a season.

Wait I know its coming "He only gets them point feeding the puck to OV"

Well what has Nick done the past few years to take over a game like a true 1C?

Old
10-13-2013, 01:56 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoCaps19 View Post
I also don't think he benefits from playing with Backstrom and Ovechkin as much as people believe. I tend to believe he'd do better on the 2nd line away from the opposition's top D pairing. He also needs to shoot the damn puck more but that comes with confidence which has always been a problem with MoJo.
Playing in the shadow of two stars has got to contribute to that lack of confidence. Tough not to defer to those two any time they're in the play. It'd be nice to see him on the Grabovski line, see if that takes some of the pressure off him and gets him to open up his game a little.

Old
10-13-2013, 02:08 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Some of you really let your hatred of Mojo cloud your judgement. Do we really need to define his skillset? He's less skilled than Mason Raymond?

He's one of the fastest players on the team on a team that regularly gets out-skated. He's one of the few players on the team who can gain the zone with regularity. He's one of the few players who are actually creative with the puck and are willing to use one-touch passes.

Just because he's not a 6'4" power forward who plows through people and wins every board battle doesn't mean he's not a useful player. And he certainly provides terrific production for his price.
No need to be a power forward. He's just not very good. He's not decisive with the puck, he has low compete and he turns it over. He brings less to the top line than Clark (wrist shot + physicality+defense), Kozlov (playmaking ability + finish) or Knuble (rebound ability).

I guess if the baseline for skilled is willing to make one touch passes, then he's skilled. He's probably a 40-50 point player without intangibles (except for speed which doesn't really contribute to anything other than faster turnovers) playing away from Backstrom and Ovechkin. Just like Mason Raymond.

Old
10-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Burakovsky95*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
Playing in the shadow of two stars has got to contribute to that lack of confidence. Tough not to defer to those two any time they're in the play. It'd be nice to see him on the Grabovski line, see if that takes some of the pressure off him and gets him to open up his game a little.
I agree but then I remembered how OCD Oates is with handedness. Who would move up to play with Ovie-Nick? Brouwer cant as he's on the RW as well. Laich is not a 2nd line player let alone a 1st. The only logical player would be Erat but for some reason he is now a 4th line 4.5 million dollar plug.

Old
10-13-2013, 02:18 PM
Burakovsky95*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
How many years are we going to talk about getting a wing to play with our two supper stars up on the first line? Or will we ever find someone to play with the great Mike Green?

If any of these player were as good as a lot of you think. They would carry the load themselves and not need someone to play with.

Mojo will play at a 50 point pace for 2mill a season.

Wait I know its coming "He only gets them point feeding the puck to OV"

Well what has Nick done the past few years to take over a game like a true 1C?
Nick is literally the best two way player on the team, his entrances into the zone 5 on 5 and on the PP are next to none, he makes guys miss in neutral every game, and he is an elite playmaker. He's a PPG player for a reason. Yes he seems to have disappeared in the playoffs recently but who hasn't on this team?

Old
10-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
No need to be a power forward. He's just not very good. He's not decisive with the puck, he has low compete and he turns it over. He brings less to the top line than Clark (wrist shot + physicality+defense), Kozlov (playmaking ability + finish) or Knuble (rebound ability).

I guess if the baseline for skilled is willing to make one touch passes, then he's skilled. He's probably a 40-50 point player without intangibles (except for speed which doesn't really contribute to anything other than faster turnovers) playing away from Backstrom and Ovechkin. Just like Mason Raymond.
Mason Raymond is 28 and has one season of 40+ points in his career. Marcus put up as many points as him last year in 12 fewer games, and is five years younger to boot. I'm not sure why people think he's already a finished product when he just turned 23.

And even if I agreed with your 40-50 point career projection, those players usually cost substantially more than $2M.

Old
10-13-2013, 04:06 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Mason Raymond is 28 and has one season of 40+ points in his career. Marcus put up as many points as him last year in 12 fewer games, and is five years younger to boot. I'm not sure why people think he's already a finished product when he just turned 23.

And even if I agreed with your 40-50 point career projection, those players usually cost substantially more than $2M.
How many points will Johansson score this year with Backstrom/Ovechkin? 70? 80? If I'm way off on 50 with second line players, volunteer a number.

Old
10-13-2013, 04:09 PM
txpd

historically teams tend to stand pat to see what they have for 20 games. then you might see some movement. my view is McPhee has something in the works for that period of time. we will see if the caps can win enough games to stay in the mix for 20 games.

having any one of Urbom, Schmidt and Oleksy in the lineup is no issue. all three is suicide. If Green gets just nicked....doom.

Old
10-13-2013, 05:10 PM
Halpysback*

How is Schimdt-Olesky that much worse a 3rd pairing than your average experienced NHL 3rd pairing, say Murray-Boullion?

Assuming it's pretty much a wash, how is having one rookie in the top 4 suicide especially if he can handle second pairing minutes and match-ups?

Old
10-13-2013, 05:24 PM
Burakovsky95*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
How is Schimdt-Olesky that much worse a 3rd pairing than your average experienced NHL 3rd pairing, say Murray-Boullion?

Assuming it's pretty much a wash, how is having one rookie in the top 4 suicide especially if he can handle second pairing minutes and match-ups?
I'd take Murray-Boullion every day over Oleksy-Schimdt currently

Closed Thread