HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

what happened to shortening the season?

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2005, 06:18 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
what happened to shortening the season?

wasn't there talk a year or so ago about reducing the number of games by 10 or so?

Old
07-13-2005, 06:34 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Now that players salary is determined by revenue..u can bet the season will NEVER be shortened. And im fine with that.

Shorter season = Lower Revenues = Lower Cap = Lower Salaries

Old
07-13-2005, 07:50 PM
patnyrnyg

I remember them saying towards the end of 2003-04 they had agreed to a 72-game season with only intra-conference games. I personally, would LOVE to see that. I would much rather see more games with the Isles, Penguins, Flyers, and Devils even if that means losing Colorado, Detroit etc.

Old
07-13-2005, 08:55 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg
I remember them saying towards the end of 2003-04 they had agreed to a 72-game season with only intra-conference games. I personally, would LOVE to see that. I would much rather see more games with the Isles, Penguins, Flyers, and Devils even if that means losing Colorado, Detroit etc.
yeah, that schedule would have us play each team in our division like 12 times and each other team in the conference twice (home and home.) that would really take the divisional rivalvies to the next level.

Old
07-13-2005, 10:07 PM
patnyrnyg

hockey was it ats peak in the late80's early 90's, when you played division teams 7 times (8 in other divisions), then the divisional play-offs, which should also be brought back.

Old
07-14-2005, 09:02 AM
Fish

The explanation I've heard is that they missed so many games with the lockout that they feel they need to keep the schedule where it is now in order to recoup some of those losses.

Old
07-14-2005, 10:50 PM
broadwayblue

well, while they didn't shorten the season they did change the format.

from tsn.ca

- The league will play an unbalanced schedule. Teams will play their four divisional opponents a total of eight times for 32 games. Teams will play their 10 conference rivals a total of 4 times for 40 games. Teams will play a home-and-home against each team in one division of the other conference for a total of 10 games - that's a total of 82 games.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...43&hubName=nhl

Old
07-14-2005, 10:58 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue

from tsn.ca

- The league will play an unbalanced schedule. Teams will play their four divisional opponents a total of eight times for 32 games. Teams will play their 10 conference rivals a total of 4 times for 40 games. Teams will play a home-and-home against each team in one division of the other conference for a total of 10 games - that's a total of 82 games.

Oh JOY! We get to watch EIGHT games of the Devils now! Nice boring hockey.

Old
07-14-2005, 10:59 PM
zacn

Why shorten?

Is it just me or does shortening the season just mean watching less hockey? I have heard so many people mention how great it would be to shorten the season but I just want to watch games and if they could play 162 games a year and still actually perform, I'd be all for it.

Old
07-14-2005, 11:25 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacn
Is it just me or does shortening the season just mean watching less hockey? I have heard so many people mention how great it would be to shorten the season but I just want to watch games and if they could play 162 games a year and still actually perform, I'd be all for it.
That's the problem--players who play too many minutes can't perform as well. And there's so much travel time that has to be factored in as well. Beyond exhausting the players (and coaches for that matter), it means that there is very little practice time available. The emphasis is on grinding it out, rather than skill and teamwork.

Old
07-15-2005, 12:26 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:

I agree with you 101%. The more hockey there better IMO.

Old
07-15-2005, 08:09 AM
zacn

Yeah, it's just that I already go wait, "there are only 10 games left, the season just started!" as it is. I understand the whole grind thing but that could be fixed more reasonably by making teams play organizations only in their confrence and maybe having a week or two of "interleague," hence less travel time.

Old
07-15-2005, 08:35 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue

from tsn.ca

I like the sound of that. Give me games against the flyers, devils, isles, and pens over the western conference any time. It will be like the 80's again.

Old
07-15-2005, 12:57 PM
NYRGoalieGlut*

We have one of the tougher divisions in the NHL why would anyone want to play so many inter-division games is beyond me. Besides I'm all for variety.

Old
07-15-2005, 01:24 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Its good the season wanst shortened. I don't understand why a Hockey fan would sign to see LESS hockey games. Makes no sense.

Old
07-15-2005, 01:24 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRGoalieGlut
We have one of the tougher divisions in the NHL why would anyone want to play so many inter-division games is beyond me. Besides I'm all for variety.

Agreed. Cant wait to get out ***** handed to us 8 times vs Philly and 8 times vs the Devils. Playing the Isles 8 times I dont really mind though.

Old
07-15-2005, 02:28 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Yeah, it's just that I already go wait, "there are only 10 games left, the season just started!" as it is. I understand the whole grind thing but that could be fixed more reasonably by making teams play organizations only in their confrence and maybe having a week or two of "interleague," hence less travel time.
What good is quantity when there is no quality?

Old
07-15-2005, 05:33 PM
zacn

I disagree that there is no quality, that is why I love watching hockey. Sure playoff hockey is a step up but I love every game I see. And as for playing in a tough division, great. I want the first pick next year so soon devils and philly fans will be complaining about playing us too much.

Old
07-15-2005, 06:15 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Agreed. Cant wait to get out ***** handed to us 8 times vs Philly and 8 times vs the Devils. Playing the Isles 8 times I dont really mind though.
Have you ever been to a Rangers-Isles, Rangers-Devils, or Rangers-Flyers game? Ever been to one of these games on the road?

Now, ever been to a game when the Rangers are playing a Western conference team? BIG difference, the atmosphere is so much better, so much more intense. When the schedule comes out, the first thing I do is look to see when the Rangers are playing these teams. Then, I call my contacts in Philadelphia and let them know I am going to need tickets to (insert whichever game here). These games are what make having a season subscription worth the effort.

Old
07-15-2005, 06:46 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Have you ever been to a Rangers-Isles, Rangers-Devils, or Rangers-Flyers game? Ever been to one of these games on the road?

Now, ever been to a game when the Rangers are playing a Western conference team? BIG difference, the atmosphere is so much better, so much more intense. When the schedule comes out, the first thing I do is look to see when the Rangers are playing these teams. Then, I call my contacts in Philadelphia and let them know I am going to need tickets to (insert whichever game here). These games are what make having a season subscription worth the effort.

Yes I have been to games, thanks. And if you find a Devils vs Rangers game exciting then we are on a different boat. This aint 94 anymore. Sure Philly games are great but they are a MUCH superior team then we are right now and it will just result in going 1-7 or 0-8...thats not very fun.

Old
07-15-2005, 07:03 PM
patnyrnyg

Now I am wondering if you ever played a sport in your life. When I played, I always wanted to play the best teams. I'd rather play the best and lose then beat up on the weaker teams. I guess that is part of the reason my teams were always good.

Win or lose, I'd rather watch divisonal games than games against weaker west conference teams, as if the Rangers can fair much better against them.

Besides, the rosters this season are going to be very different than what we saw at the end of 2003-04.

Old
07-15-2005, 07:06 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Now I am wondering if you ever played a sport in your life. When I played, I always wanted to play the best teams. I'd rather play the best and lose then beat up on the weaker teams. I guess that is part of the reason my teams were always good.

Win or lose, I'd rather watch divisonal games than games against weaker west conference teams, as if the Rangers can fair much better against them.

Besides, the rosters this season are going to be very different than what we saw at the end of 2003-04.
Yes i play a sport, hockey of course. Though i dont see how that has ANYTHING to do with this.

I'd RATHER see talent from the west then see the Rangers take on a boring team like the devils 8 times. 6 times vs our division rivals was plenty, 8 is overkill.

Old
07-15-2005, 07:34 PM
patnyrnyg

I guess you are too young to remember what the rivalries were like in the 80's when they played 7 times per year and in the play-offs. Don't worry, you'll get the experience and in a few years you will be happy the league made this change.

Closed Thread