HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers lose 4-1 to Montreal.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-11-2013, 09:33 PM
  #676
oilersfan11
Registered User
 
oilersfan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11,211
vCash: 50
The Oilers need a player like Steve Ott.

oilersfan11 is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 02:07 AM
  #677
thinlizzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 440
vCash: 500
On a back to back game the Oilers should have had the edge. Didn't happen.

12 min of PP and very little to show from it.

Why we started DD I don't know.

Give away totals Hall 3, Eberle 3, Petry 3

Gordon should have got more min and he crushed the dot as usual. Mike Brown 5 hits I like that. Luke G scraps it up. 4th is doing their job.

Sense of urgency isn't there. Still playing the old past style of gliding again. Guess they forgot the system plan again.

The road trip win/loss stats could get ugly.

thinlizzy is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 09:44 AM
  #678
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
What you are being is elusive.
There is no issue with Corsi...it is what it is and it has value despite your convoluted efforts to discredit it. It does have a predictive quality to it provided the sample size is large enough and some variables (coaching + roster) remain in place.

The issue appears to be that you have decided that the numbers are not part of a conversation that you think is pertinent.

Read iCanada's knowledgeable post just a few posts above. If it is impossible for you to consider what I have stated then read that post which states the position very clearly.

Replacement is online now  
Old
10-12-2013, 09:55 AM
  #679
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,680
vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Read iCanada's knowledgeable post just a few posts above. If it is impossible for you to consider what I have stated then read that post which states the position very clearly.
Its not impossible to consider your position.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

You have a tendency to throw the baby out with the bath water (ie...Staples) and take a perceived position of intellectual superiority. At least thats how it comes across.

I choose to disagree with an application of a advanced stat (in a particular situation) but that doesn't mean it has no value....predictive or not.

For you it has no value but that falls into the realm of opinion...not fact.


Corsi is reasonably easy to grasp and it correlates well to predicting wins and losses.
There may be better stats for that but it doesn't mean Corsi has no value which seems to be a position you and others are trying so hard to represent.


Last edited by guymez: 10-12-2013 at 10:01 AM.
guymez is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 10:31 AM
  #680
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Its not impossible to consider your position.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

You have a tendency to throw the baby out with the bath water (ie...Staples) and take a perceived position of intellectual superiority. At least thats how it comes across.

I choose to disagree with an application of a advanced stat (in a particular situation) but that doesn't mean it has no value....predictive or not.

For you it has no value but that falls into the realm of opinion...not fact.


Corsi is reasonably easy to grasp and it correlates well to predicting wins and losses.
There may be better stats for that but it doesn't mean Corsi has no value which seems to be a position you and others are trying so hard to represent.
Well, in the case of Staples what you say possibly applies. I wouldn't apply this with any of the Corsi geeks in question. How could I, only yesterday I made up the term statistical virility. lol, thats what I get for having a walking thesaurus residing in my brain..damn creative vocabulary..

I'm just invoking another method of testing for statistical validity. One that is commonly used. Predicting, forecasting, is a common application of test scores for many measuring instruments. Most testing metrics are established for the utility of administering testing to predict future scores, results, or behavior.

Predictive validity is one means to validate or invalidate a test or metric. Just a brief overview;

http://explorable.com/predictive-validity


Last edited by Replacement: 10-12-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Replacement is online now  
Old
10-12-2013, 10:54 AM
  #681
MikeK
Registered User
 
MikeK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,661
vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
The Oilers need a player like Steve Ott.
The Oilers need a goaltender they can rely on. Until the rest of management gets this through their arrogant heads nothing is going to change. You can't win in this league with out a legit #1 goalie. You can ice all the skill in the world or have the grittiest toughest team around but when the team can't keep the most basic of scoring chances out of the net they will never win.

It is time for Lowe and his arrogance to hit the road. How the hell can a guy offer sheet a player like Penner but not be willing to go after the most important position in the game?

MikeK is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 11:11 AM
  #682
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov
 
Booyakasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Croatia
Posts: 2,343
vCash: 1240
not sure how habs fans get off criticizing the Oilers and struttin after that win.
they did not look impressive....at all.

Booyakasha is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 11:33 AM
  #683
MikeK
Registered User
 
MikeK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,661
vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyakasha View Post
not sure how habs fans get off criticizing the Oilers and struttin after that win.
they did not look impressive....at all.
Yet they beat the Oilers 4-1... what does that say about the Oil?

MikeK is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 11:37 AM
  #684
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov
 
Booyakasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Croatia
Posts: 2,343
vCash: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Yet they beat the Oilers 4-1... what does that say about the Oil?
that the game could have gone either way IMO.

the habs did not look convincing at all. If I were a habs fan, that is not the game that results in chest thumping, but if you think so, then good for you.

Booyakasha is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 11:49 AM
  #685
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyakasha View Post
not sure how habs fans get off criticizing the Oilers and struttin after that win.
they did not look impressive....at all.
This is the Habs playing poorly on the road and coming up with a win. Not their best game by any stretch. Still, its a typically hard working club, well coached, that play a team game.
Which beats individual efforts almost any day.

At some point one would think the stars on this club who are supposed best players in respective draft years need to play like this is a team sport.

Hall is -6. Is playing 25mins/night. That is mutually exclusive to winning.

Replacement is online now  
Old
10-12-2013, 11:58 AM
  #686
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse
 
Hockey Buddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This is the Habs playing poorly on the road and coming up with a win. Not their best game by any stretch. Still, its a typically hard working club, well coached, that play a team game.
Which beats individual efforts almost any day.

At some point one would think the stars on this club who are supposed best players in respective draft years need to play like this is a team sport.

Hall is -6. Is playing 25mins/night. That is mutually exclusive to winning.
Last year, this team won games when Hall seized the bull by the horns. He dominated games for stretches at a time last season. He hasn't done it this season. All of our so-called "elite players" need to play as such. Last year, it did not happen consistently, and this year it hasn't happened at all.

We are only four games into the season, but...we're waiting.

Hockey Buddha is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 12:02 PM
  #687
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov
 
Booyakasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Croatia
Posts: 2,343
vCash: 1240
all I care if is they do it at the right moment, unlike past years to start the season, and fall short.
let the teams starting strong have their fun, like we used to...all I care about is how we finish the race, not how we start it.

Booyakasha is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 12:07 PM
  #688
MikeK
Registered User
 
MikeK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,661
vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyakasha View Post
that the game could have gone either way IMO.

the habs did not look convincing at all. If I were a habs fan, that is not the game that results in chest thumping, but if you think so, then good for you.
I couldn't care less what HABS fans think. I don't think Oilers fan should be acting like the game could have gone either way... but if you think so, then good for you. Continue to support mediocrity.

MikeK is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 12:14 PM
  #689
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse
 
Hockey Buddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,353
vCash: 500
Our players are playing for themselves. Successful teams play for each other.

Hockey Buddha is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 12:21 PM
  #690
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov
 
Booyakasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Croatia
Posts: 2,343
vCash: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I couldn't care less what HABS fans think. I don't think Oilers fan should be acting like the game could have gone either way... but if you think so, then good for you. Continue to support mediocrity.


sorry...what a DOMINATING performance by the HABS.

good for your team hope for continued success.

p.s. habs fans should not be commenting other fans with "Continue to support mediocrity." posts

Booyakasha is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 12:26 PM
  #691
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I couldn't care less what HABS fans think. I don't think Oilers fan should be acting like the game could have gone either way... but if you think so, then good for you. Continue to support mediocrity.
What do you want us to do, stop cheering for our team?

Do you not get that we are all just fans? Nothin we do affects the outcome of the game? Some people act all high and mighty like they're actually superior because the team they support is better than the team somebody else supports. It's hilarious. Congrats on aiding your team to their .500 record. You're doing a great job.

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 12:36 PM
  #692
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I couldn't care less what HABS fans think. I don't think Oilers fan should be acting like the game could have gone either way... but if you think so, then good for you. Continue to support mediocrity.
So why are you supporting this team then?

Actually I'm not even sure who you are. Why are you here other than to rile up people?


Last edited by Tad Mikowsky: 10-12-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Tad Mikowsky is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 12:58 PM
  #693
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
Our players are playing for themselves. Successful teams play for each other.
Couldn't be truer words. Time to stop padding stats and focus on all round game and what it takes to contributing to outscoring opponents.

Replacement is online now  
Old
10-12-2013, 01:02 PM
  #694
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyakasha View Post
that the game could have gone either way IMO.

the habs did not look convincing at all. If I were a habs fan, that is not the game that results in chest thumping, but if you think so, then good for you.
Well, in several posts I stated the habs would win this game and book it. I stated that because this club isn't playing any type of system yet and the brief times it flirts with it isn't enough to gain familiarity. What we have here is still some overconfident stars that are not completely convinced they need to play a smart, solid, all round game. Instead we get selfish, individual contributions instead of sound team hockey.

The Habs play the latter. Given how these two clubs currently play the game I'll bet on the team approach anytime.

The most frustrating thing is the Oilers could, and probably should, start to be good right about now. But they're spinning the same wheels instead so far.

Replacement is online now  
Old
10-12-2013, 02:16 PM
  #695
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,751
vCash: 500
Let's see how Hall does with another full game at LW.

Much of the - was center/Van game related.

dustrock is online now  
Old
10-12-2013, 02:49 PM
  #696
MikeK
Registered User
 
MikeK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,661
vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyakasha View Post


sorry...what a DOMINATING performance by the HABS.

good for your team hope for continued success.

p.s. habs fans should not be commenting other fans with "Continue to support mediocrity." posts
Where did you get the idea I was a habs fan? Is it because some of us are tired of the same mediocre BS and refuse to give management a pass any longer? Keep drinking your kool-aid or thinking that anyone not praising mediocrity must be an opposing teams fan.

MikeK is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 03:02 PM
  #697
GreatKeith
Registered User
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,094
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Where did you get the idea I was a habs fan? Is it because some of us are tired of the same mediocre BS and refuse to give management a pass any longer? Keep drinking your kool-aid or thinking that anyone not praising mediocrity must be an opposing teams fan.
Where the hell have we said we're mediocre? We haven't been mediocre in years.

Hell, being mediocre led us to be bad because we refused to accept the truth after the 2007 season.

If you're tired then do something besides whine on an internet message board. If you're so sick of this team, then prove it.

GreatKeith is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 03:20 PM
  #698
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Where the hell have we said we're mediocre? We haven't been mediocre in years.

Hell, being mediocre led us to be bad because we refused to accept the truth after the 2007 season.

If you're tired then do something besides whine on an internet message board. If you're so sick of this team, then prove it.
Nobody just "proves it". It's all fluff.

If someone is tired of something they always have a choice to change that.

Tad Mikowsky is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.