HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

non-qualified Free Agents the Rangers should sign

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2005, 11:50 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
non-qualified Free Agents the Rangers should sign

Jason Arnott-cheaper and younger than holik

Kristian Huselius-better than hlavac

Old
07-15-2005, 12:12 AM
Large_Farva*

Send a message via MSN to Large_Farva*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner

Bag of human feces-better than hlavac

Old
07-15-2005, 12:24 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Not really interested. He's never played up to his potential and he has been rather injury prone in his career. He's also not that young either.

Old
07-15-2005, 12:51 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

I'd like Peca to replace Holik and a relatively good LW to replace Hlavac.

Old
07-15-2005, 07:27 AM
Mike18

There's no reason to buy out Holik. The team is not going to be competitive for a few years, so a little extra cap room in the next 2 years of Holik's deal is really irrelevant.

Old
07-15-2005, 07:50 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike18
There's no reason to buy out Holik. The team is not going to be competitive for a few years, so a little extra cap room in the next 2 years of Holik's deal is really irrelevant.
Are you serious?If the team is not going to be competitive,then why invest nearly $7 million in a third line center.The Rangers could find a player for 80-85% less to do the same job

Old
07-15-2005, 07:53 AM
Nich

holik should be, and will be bought out. he isn't worth half the money we are paying him. why not use the money to get some good younger players considering there are over 400 free agents right now.

we are in a unprecidented period of hockey, where we will soon see a new look for the majority of all the teams in the nhl....well except phnx....

Old
07-15-2005, 07:58 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Are you serious?If the team is not going to be competitive,then why invest nearly $7 million in a third line center.
Because I don't know what else you're going to invest it in.

The Rangers are weak at center and in desperate need of experienced, veteran leadership. If Holik wants to do the job, I really don't care how much he's compensated for it.

Old
07-15-2005, 08:04 AM
Mr. Lack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.

The Rangers are weak at center and in desperate need of experienced, veteran leadership. If Holik wants to do the job, I really don't care how much he's compensated for it.
That is just the point, nobody knows what else there will be to invest in.

Clear the cap room for the ENORMOUS amount of Free Agents that will be available. This is the Rangers chance to get rid of the overpriced Vets.

Old
07-15-2005, 08:25 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lack
Clear the cap room for the ENORMOUS amount of Free Agents that will be available. This is the Rangers chance to get rid of the overpriced Vets.
How many free agents does a team in the first year of a rebuild need? Even with Holik, we're still going to have ~$8-$9Mil cap room. A team that ices 6-8 players w/ less than 25 NHL games on their resume should have absolutely no problem keeping it's salary under $39Mil.

I fully understand what the "buy-out Holik" folks are saying. Bobby's the type of player I would want around my group of future NHL'ers though in addition to filling an obvious void in the roster. If he's willing to undertake the leadership role that faces him, I'm not going to tell him to walk just because I think he's overpaid.

Old
07-15-2005, 08:30 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
I fully understand what the "buy-out Holik" folks are saying. Bobby's the type of player I would want around my group of future NHL'ers though in addition to filling an obvious void in the roster. If he's willing to undertake the leadership role that faces him, I'm not going to tell him to walk just because I think he's overpaid.
This is why I want Holik bought out...

---I'm not sold that he wants to be here during the rebuild and as we all know Bobby likes to run his mouth and shoot from the hip and when he does so it usually not a constructive situation.

---I'm not concerned so much about this year but who knows what opportunities will present itself next yr where maybe we need the extra cap space a holik Buyout would provide and being that this is a one time opportunity I can't see not buying him and Kaspar out.

We can find a character guy to help shepherd the kids along the way in probrably a more positive way then the leadership that Bobby would play.Holik is more a lead by example guy who gets frustrated with others performance which isn't the ebst way for a team with alot of shortcomings.

Old
07-15-2005, 08:35 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
---I'm not sold that he wants to be here during the rebuild
If he doesn't, then the decision is easy.

Obviously, there's guys out there that can do the job. The question is, do they want it?

Old
07-15-2005, 08:40 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike18
Holik is not worth 6.8MM in cap room. He will be the first one bought out. The idea that the team will not be competitive is silly. You do not know that now. So many teams are going to hae their rosters flipped upside down as they cut players and try to play with the cap. There are going to be so many players available every team has a shot to be competitive this year. Then again, Sather will likely f it up.

Old
07-15-2005, 08:41 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid
I'd like Peca to replace Holik and a relatively good LW to replace Hlavac.
What is his contract status?

Old
07-15-2005, 09:04 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg
What is his contract status?
i'm sure he'll be bought out...he's at $4,250,000.00, it really depends if they're looking to spend a 4,250 on a guy that won't score, in the new market, these players should make about 2 million.

Holik will be overjoyed after being bought out. He came to NY for $$$ and he's getting more $$$ by being bought out + offered a new contract.

Last edited by ChrisKreider20: 07-15-2005 at 09:09 AM.
Old
07-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:

I would take Huselius in a heartbeat. Just like 4-5 years ago I would have taken Bondra in a heartbeat. Huselius like Bondra play thier best hockey at MSG. Everytime I watch both those players play at the Garden they have amazing games. Bondra is too old now, but I would take Huselius who plays LW.

Old
07-15-2005, 02:59 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27
I would take Huselius in a heartbeat. Just like 4-5 years ago I would have taken Bondra in a heartbeat. Huselius like Bondra play thier best hockey at MSG. Everytime I watch both those players play at the Garden they have amazing games. Bondra is too old now, but I would take Huselius who plays LW.
Yeah, Carter used to beat up on us all the time too. That's not a good enough reason to want a player.

Old
07-15-2005, 03:25 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Yeah, Carter used to beat up on us all the time too. That's not a good enough reason to want a player.
I don't know Brook, I'd take John Druce and Alan Bester in a heartbeat

Old
07-15-2005, 03:31 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

I've tried to do my own analysis of who will be brought

Quote:

out and who will not be qualified and I think there is going to be an awful lot of crap out there. Over paid, aging stars that have a ton of mileage. Over paid veteran role players that are let go because there are younger cheaper versions. I just don't think it is going to be all that great. Unless they allow everyone to qualify people first, buyout 2nd and then open up for business I don't know if we won't be in a better position by holding on to a asset like Holik as a trading chip. Somewhere over the course of next season some cup contender will need a hard nosed checking center to put them over the top and they will pay dearly for it. The only other guys are Draper & Peca. The market I think would be very limited as to what is out there.

Old
07-17-2005, 05:51 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:

I have always liked Arnott, if NYR had No centers I would say go for him but right now NYR has Holik ( unless he is brought out ) and Nylander. So he is a no go for now.

But I would with no question welcome Huselius the kid has the potential and if he came to NY would get great ice time on the first and second line. He is a sure fire second line LWI would like to see NYR get.

Closed Thread