HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Embracing the Rebuild: Tank Nation, the Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2013, 05:34 PM
Risto55
I LIKE EICH

vCash: 500
Really liking another 2015 second rounder. Like the 1st this year obviously (Reinhart or Nylander?) but the more picks we can accumulate for the 2015 draft, the better chance we have at McDavid.

Side note, it sucks that I'm subconsciously thinking ahead to the draft when it is still October :/

Old
10-28-2013, 05:43 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarcyTheTankEngine View Post
Really liking another 2015 second rounder. Like the 1st this year obviously (Reinhart or Nylander?) but the more picks we can accumulate for the 2015 draft, the better chance we have at McDavid.
Not really... No matter how many picks we have, no one is trading out of McDavid

Old
10-28-2013, 05:49 PM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Not really... No matter how many picks we have, no one is trading out of McDavid
the trade proposals on the main board for that pick next year will be hysterical

Old
10-28-2013, 05:51 PM
French Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
It's cool that he waited nearly 20 hours before crapping on us
I don't think anybody should be critical of Thomas's comments. He did not dump on anybody as much as gave his opinion. He always wants to win which is a trait of a leader and is not agreeing with the throwing in the towel like most.

Has anybody really thought about what the focus is now? Losing, how bad is that, LOSING!

Old
10-28-2013, 06:05 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Connection View Post
I don't think anybody should be critical of Thomas's comments. He did not dump on anybody as much as gave his opinion. He always wants to win which is a trait of a leader and is not agreeing with the throwing in the towel like most.

Has anybody really thought about what the focus is now? Losing, how bad is that, LOSING!
I agree, it's just very awkward that they chose to make him captain because between Thomas and Darcy's comments, it's clear that:
#1 The team knew they were going to move him by the deadline
#2 Vanek wasn't happy to be in the situation

Old
10-28-2013, 06:41 PM
Gabrielor

Quote:
Have to extend the tank as far as April 2015.

More picks (1st) could potentially mean more lottery chances, though.

Old
10-28-2013, 07:07 PM
sabresandcanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I agree, it's just very awkward that they chose to make him captain because between Thomas and Darcy's comments, it's clear that:
Yeah I agree...Not sure what Rolston was thinking on that front...if he truly is the man responsible for handing out the "C" as Darcy proclaimed last night.

Old
10-28-2013, 07:34 PM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

If Moulson leads the team away from the tank, do we have to turn our hope to Vanek leading the Islanders to the tank?

Old
10-28-2013, 10:07 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
If Moulson leads the team away from the tank, do we have to turn our hope to Vanek leading the Islanders to the tank?
That and more importantly whoever we move the team leading moulson to at the deadline for their 1st + prospect.

Old
10-28-2013, 10:17 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I always thought he did it to boost their trade value. Seems to work, too.

Old
10-28-2013, 10:50 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan*
Leaving/Goodbye All

Quote:

I agree with that. At 15(?) he was the best player at the Under 18's so... something like that comes around once every 10+ years. And, if he turns out to better than Crosby (a stretch I know), once every 25+ years. A once in a lifetime pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
the trade proposals on the main board for that pick next year will be hysterical
Quote:
Originally Posted by DYaeger89 View Post
Have to extend the tank as far as April 2015.

More picks (1st) could potentially mean more lottery chances, though.
I hope you guys blow up ("real good") next year and get that top pick. Would LOVE to come see this kid play on a regular basis.

P.S. McDavid is playing against the Niagara Ice Dogs this weekend. Sabre fans should stop by and see what Santa might bring you in 2015.

Old
10-28-2013, 11:50 PM
Prospector74

So what happens to our plans for the draft if the NHL expands? Would that be the ultimate ***** deal if we suffered through this for a year and did not get the #1 or #2 pick?

Old
10-28-2013, 11:57 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector74 View Post
So what happens to our plans for the draft if the NHL expands? Would that be the ultimate ***** deal if we suffered through this for a year and did not get the #1 or #2 pick?
Oh my god, don't even say that kind of ****.

How have past expansions worked? Did the new teams automatically get the top picks?

Old
10-28-2013, 11:59 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan*
Leaving/Goodbye All

Quote:
Expansion won't happen before 2015 - or anytime soon.

McDavid, assuming he stays healthy and continues to develop, is a once in a life time player - or very close to it. What will really hurt is if you finish last, have a boat load of 1st round picks and somehow don't get this kid. That would be devastating.

Old
10-29-2013, 12:01 AM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

Quote:
No clue how it works, but there's no way they add franchises before June. I think 2015 would the earliest they could pull it off, and even that might be a stretch. I'd imagine we'd be hearing more rumblings if they were close to expansion.

Old
10-29-2013, 12:08 AM
Prospector74

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Oh my god, don't even say that kind of ****.

How have past expansions worked? Did the new teams automatically get the top picks?
We got the #1 pick in the draft the year we were created. Lottery with us and Canucks. Canucks picked #2. Not sure how it has been done in more recent years.

Old
10-29-2013, 12:16 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

The best way to do it would be first to revise the lottery system weighting, as they would have to, to account for 16 (assuming 2 expansion teams) non-playoff/lottery teams. Then, have some sort of lottery to determine a pre-order by taking the two expansion teams and, say, the bottom 3 teams to determine how they slot in the "standings" 1-5. Slot them in 1-5 with the rest of the non-playoff teams and hold a regular lottery with the new 16 team lottery.

I assume how they'd actually do it would be to just do a regular lottery and then slot the expansion teams ahead with a coinflip to determine which gets #1 and which gets #2.

Old
10-29-2013, 01:31 AM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

vCash: 720
I wanted to fight the tank and root for us to be competitive and attempt to sneak in the playoffs but the first 8-10 games totally deflated that view. The Vanek trade was the stake through the heart.I thought it was a good return and that I am fully committed to a complete rebranding of the franchise. Move every single vet. At this deadline move Miller, Ott, Moulson and possibly Ehrhoff and acquire as many 1sts and 2nds as possible. With potential Ott,Moulson and Miller trades, I don't think 3 1sts is out of the possibility. Assimilate next drafts rookies into the team next year a la RR and Zads this year and do the same thing in 14-15 that we are doing this year. Finish dead last both seasons, guarantees back to back top 2 picks and after that the team should be ready to compete.

Old
10-29-2013, 01:38 AM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
I wanted to fight the tank and root for us to be competitive and attempt to sneak in the playoffs but the first 8-10 games totally deflated that view. The Vanek trade was the stake through the heart.I thought it was a good return and that I am fully committed to a complete rebranding of the franchise. Move every single vet. At this deadline move Miller, Ott, Moulson and possibly Ehrhoff and acquire as many 1sts and 2nds as possible. With potential Ott, Moulson and Miller trades, I don't think 3 1sts is out of the possibility. Assimilate next drafts rookies into the team next year a la RR and Zads this year and do the same thing in 14-15 that we are doing this year. Finish dead last both seasons, guarantees back to back top 2 picks and after that the team should be ready to compete.
Yes join the dark side. Another one has been recruited.

Old
10-29-2013, 02:06 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
I wanted to fight the tank and root for us to be competitive and attempt to sneak in the playoffs but the first 8-10 games totally deflated that view. The Vanek trade was the stake through the heart.I thought it was a good return and that I am fully committed to a complete rebranding of the franchise. Move every single vet. At this deadline move Miller, Ott, Moulson and possibly Ehrhoff and acquire as many 1sts and 2nds as possible. With potential Ott,Moulson and Miller trades, I don't think 3 1sts is out of the possibility. Assimilate next drafts rookies into the team next year a la RR and Zads this year and do the same thing in 14-15 that we are doing this year. Finish dead last both seasons, guarantees back to back top 2 picks and after that the team should be ready to compete.
My god that took you long enough. It's good to see you finally reach the final stage of grieving. (I hope)

Acceptance

Welcome and take a cleansing breath

Old
10-29-2013, 02:10 AM
Kyndig86

Obviously the youngsters are gonna keep getting better and better...and you know what that means. A last minute push to ruin our draft this year and the next in typical Sabres fashion.

Old
10-29-2013, 02:17 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyndig86 View Post
Obviously the youngsters are gonna keep getting better and better...and you know what that means. A last minute push to ruin our draft this year and the next in typical Sabres fashion.
They'll develop, but not fast enough to save this sinking ship this season. No way.

Old
10-29-2013, 09:06 AM
26CornerBlitz

What do you think of Darcy Regierís rebuild so far?: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/wh...ebuild-so-far/

When looking at recent trades by Sabres GM Darcy Regier, you have to look at them through the lens of a rebuilding team. Itís about stockpiling future assets and increasing your odds at the draft table by accumulating late-round picks. But itís also about keeping structure in the current NHL lineup as best you can.

So, here is a rundown of every trade made by the Sabres GM since February of 2012 until now, with a brief writeup on each. And, at the bottom, we have the total payoff listed out. Did Regier do a good job transitioning to a rebuild?

Is Darcy Regier the right GM to rebuild the Sabres?: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/is...ld-the-sabres/

It seems only fitting that on the week of Halloween, the GM with more lives than any other in the NHL would make a blockbuster trade. And for many Sabres fans, the news that Darcy Regier was at the helm to make it will be greeted with as much happiness as a zombie apocalypse.

Old
10-29-2013, 09:22 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26CornerBlitz View Post
What do you think of Darcy Regierís rebuild so far?: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/wh...ebuild-so-far/

When looking at recent trades by Sabres GM Darcy Regier, you have to look at them through the lens of a rebuilding team. Itís about stockpiling future assets and increasing your odds at the draft table by accumulating late-round picks. But itís also about keeping structure in the current NHL lineup as best you can.

So, here is a rundown of every trade made by the Sabres GM since February of 2012 until now, with a brief writeup on each. And, at the bottom, we have the total payoff listed out. Did Regier do a good job transitioning to a rebuild?

Is Darcy Regier the right GM to rebuild the Sabres?: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/is...ld-the-sabres/

It seems only fitting that on the week of Halloween, the GM with more lives than any other in the NHL would make a blockbuster trade. And for many Sabres fans, the news that Darcy Regier was at the helm to make it will be greeted with as much happiness as a zombie apocalypse.
These articles are both pretty consonant with my view. I'd like to see Regier stay through the 2015 draft and then bring in someone else to manage structuring the pieces we've built up into a lasting contender.

Old
10-29-2013, 09:58 AM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
These articles are both pretty consonant with my view. I'd like to see Regier stay through the 2015 draft and then bring in someone else to manage structuring the pieces we've built up into a lasting contender.
I agree with one of the commenters.

Darcy almost always wins trades when he's selling, but doesn't do so well when he's buying.

His trade deadline pick-ups have always been underwhelming and a waste of assets (Brad Boyes being a prime example). And his attempts at free agent signings have generally been disastrous.

If it were possible, I honestly wouldn't mind keeping Darcy around if his only job were to trade away assets when it's time to sell, because he does that very well. But he doesn't do the other jobs a GM needs to do (filling needs through free agency, acquiring pieces through trades to fill needs on the roster, getting the right mix of leadership and character on the roster, negotiating contract extensions for pending UFAs, etc). And while he has drafted a number of good players, he's never drafted a great one - not in all his years in Buffalo.

Last edited by MayDay: 10-29-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Closed Thread