HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Embracing the Rebuild: Tank Nation, the Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2013, 09:00 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
Hey Sabres fans, I think the Sabres will have some "competition" to get the top prospects in the next few drafts. Of course, the Flyers being the Flyers, at best it would probably be only for Ekblad in the upcoming draft. I would rather have a proper rebuild and aim for both Ekblad and McDavid in the consecutive drafts.

Of course, if the team turns it around, highly doubt it the way they have been playing, this post is all moot.

May the "best" team win.
I'm already getting ill at the thought of the Flyers getting Ekblad at 2 this year--after the Sabres draft Reinhart at 1--and then "winning" the lottery to get McDavid next season. If the Flyers finish anywhere in the bottom-5 next year, I'd bet they'll just happen to win the lottery. Then, one week later, in the worst-kept secret in hockey, they'll sign Bobby Ryan in UFA.

Then they'll be a good playoff team again with a core of McDavid-Giroux-Ekblad-Ryan-Couturier-Laughton-B. Schenn. I hate the Flyers.

Old
11-02-2013, 09:00 AM
MayDay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by French Connection View Post
You say Tomato and I say Tom.... Well you know how the saying goes. We all understand what is happening, its a disgrace no matter how you put a positive spin on it.
No, it would be a disgrace to keep going the way they were going, making desperate runs to 9th place and giving fans mediocrity year after year.

People who criticize the rebuild have not adequately explained their preferred alternative strategy for building a Cup contender, aside from some vague comments about "retooling," and ignoring the fact that we haven't had a core or a foundation that could be retooled.

What's the alternative? High profile free agents don't come to mediocre teams in small markets. We can't build that way. Besides which, game breakers like Crosby and Kane don't become available in free agency these days anyway - players like Ville Leino do. And those elite players don't get traded very often either, and even if they did, Buffalo didn't have the assets to trade for them.

The only way for Buffalo to get the proper foundation and elite talent to build a Cup contender is through the Draft.

What would be a disgrace is if the Sabres didn't take the best possible approach to building a team to win the Cup for the city of Buffalo. And I believe that's what they've finally gotten serious about doing. There's nothing disgraceful about doing your best to win a championship, even if that means enduring suffering and pain in the short term.

Old
11-02-2013, 10:13 AM
FlyingPhilly
Laine Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I'm already getting ill at the thought of the Flyers getting Ekblad at 2 this year--after the Sabres draft Reinhart at 1--and then "winning" the lottery to get McDavid next season. If the Flyers finish anywhere in the bottom-5 next year, I'd bet they'll just happen to win the lottery. Then, one week later, in the worst-kept secret in hockey, they'll sign Bobby Ryan in UFA.

Then they'll be a good playoff team again with a core of McDavid-Giroux-Ekblad-Ryan-Couturier-Laughton-B. Schenn. I hate the Flyers.
I wish that would happen, but I highly doubt it. The Flyers totally got screwed over in the 2007 draft, which is the only time in franchise history the team actually should have got the 1st overall. Instead, the Blackhawks bend the Flyers over 2 times by getting the 1st overall and drafting Kane who goes on to score the Cup winning goal in Philly.

Yeah, I can picture it now. Flyers finish last in the league next year, only to see another team win the McDavid sweepstakes.

Anyways, best of luck to both our teams.

Old
11-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Selanne00008

Say we somehow trade miller, ott, and moulson way sooner than expected.

We waive scott. Maybe even move stafford, give away Leino somehow and others to the point where we win 6 games all year. It's so obvious we are tanking that its a complex joke.

Any chance sabres get fined for tanking? Lol

Old
11-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post

Until Homer trades all of them away again.

Old
11-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Woodhouse
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

The tank remains strong... PHI wins, FLA in OT, go EDM.

Old
11-02-2013, 08:50 PM
couture23
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
The tank remains strong... PHI wins, FLA in OT, go EDM.
EDM has DET.

Automatic loss.

Old
11-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
New Jersey losing makes it even better.

I know that their pick will be skipped over during draft day but what actually happens with them in regards to the lottery? If we finish last and they finish 2nd last are we guaranteed the 1st overall pick?

Old
11-02-2013, 09:14 PM
couture23
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
New Jersey losing makes it even better.

I know that their pick will be skipped over during draft day but what actually happens with them in regards to the lottery? If we finish last and they finish 2nd last are we guaranteed the 1st overall pick?
No. Any of the teams that miss the playoffs can win the lottery. If we finish with the worst record in the NHL, we are guaranteed 1st OR 2nd.

Just look at what happened with COL-FLA this year. Florida was the worst team, but COL won the lottery which bumped FLA to 2nd.

To clarify, the 8th worst team could win the 1st pick, or so could the 14th worst team - but we would still end up with 2nd.

Old
11-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
No. Any of the teams that miss the playoffs can win the lottery. If we finish with the worst record in the NHL, we are guaranteed 1st OR 2nd.

Just look at what happened with COL-FLA this year. Florida was the worst team, but COL won the lottery which bumped FLA to 2nd.

To clarify, the 8th worst team could win the 1st pick, or so could the 14th worst team - but we would still end up with 2nd.
Sorry I phrased the question wrong. I had a different scenario in my head and typed it out.

If New Jersey finishes last and we finish 2nd do we then have a 25% chance or do we have the 12.5% chance or w/e 2nd is.

Old
11-02-2013, 09:19 PM
5 Minute Major

vCash: 374
The Sabres next three games are at San Jose, Los Angeles and Anaheim.

Think about this for a second.....if the Sabres don't get 1 point during those three games, which looks like they very well may not, the Sabres will have LESS points through 19 games than the worst hockey team in NHL history, the 74-75 Washington Capitals.

And, we are in an era where it is easier to gain points in the standings than it was back in 74-75.

Old
11-02-2013, 09:23 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
The Sabres next three games are at San Jose, Los Angeles and Anaheim.

Think about this for a second.....if the Sabres don't get 1 point during those three games, which looks like they very well may not, the Sabres will have LESS points through 19 games than the worst hockey team in NHL history, the 74-75 Washington Capitals.

And, we are in an era where it is easier to gain points in the standings than it was back in 74-75.
I don't think Regier is going anywhere but Rolston's days could be numbered if we lose 4 or 5 more in a row.

Old
11-02-2013, 09:24 PM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

Quote:
I don't think Regier is going anywhere but Rolston's days could be numbered if we lose 4 or 5 more in a row.
Plz let this happen

Old
11-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Lets also be honest here, the free agency path is not even an option. This is about the fact that no amount of Pegula money can make players come here. Its about taking the only path available short term to increase assets towards building a winner. Its not as if we are a desired location and are passing up on a line of UFAs clamoring to come here. Pegula himself said we were in on every major UFA since he took over and money was never the issue. To use his words, you can't make someone want to sign here.

Its going to require good drafting, proper development and smart trades to build a contender. And the smart trades I'm referring to are the ones we make when we start using our assets to acquire players to build a contending roster. I'm not talking about the current moves as we continue to dismantle.
My absolute biggest fear is we're mishandling our youngsters. And if we are, we're setting this whole process back. Years.

Old
11-02-2013, 09:28 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
Plz let this happen
So who are some better teachers for the youth that are available after this west coast trip if Rolston does get fired? Serious question. No logical answer?

I don't have an opinion one way or the other, as I can see the positives and negatives of keeping and firing now.

Old
11-02-2013, 09:28 PM
EichHart

Hey look Oilers down 2-0 already. Let's copy there rebuild strategy shall we?

Old
11-02-2013, 09:29 PM
5 Minute Major

Well, they just brought Randy Cunneyworth into the fold.....maybe that will be the guy if a change is made?

Old
11-02-2013, 09:30 PM
couture23
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Quote:
Sorry I phrased the question wrong. I had a different scenario in my head and typed it out.

If New Jersey finishes last and we finish 2nd do we then have a 25% chance or do we have the 12.5% chance or w/e 2nd is.
Gotcha. I'm not sure how they're going to deal with that, I'm sure this forfeited pick thing doesn't have a precedent yet.

Old
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
So who are some better teachers for the youth that are available after this west coast trip if Rolston does get fired? Serious question. No logical answer?

I don't have an opinion one way or the other, as I can see the positives and negatives of keeping and firing now.
I wouldn't hate Laviolette, even though after 05-06, I kinda do hate Laviolette on a personal level lol

Old
couture23
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Edmonton is so bad lmao.

Old
11-02-2013, 09:32 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Zisman View Post
I wouldn't hate Laviolette, even though after 05-06, I kinda do hate Laviolette on a personal level lol
Ok, and see I would hate that. Is he a good teacher for developing youth? I honestly never heard that.

Old
11-02-2013, 09:36 PM
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

Quote:
Ok, and see I would hate that. Is he a good teacher for developing youth? I honestly never heard that.
Can't speak to his personal ability with development. But he's definitely a well respected coach who has a cup ring and has taken multiple teams deep in the playoffs. He also gets his teams to play a very structured system and his players love him. Maybe I'm just desperate for a "real" coach who can actually implement a real NHL system instead of Ronlol's house hockey fire drill.

Old
11-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Moskau

Quote:

Well the guy most people wanted is in Edmonton. The guy everyone else wanted is in Tampa Bay.

I'm sure there is some High School coach out there that nobody wants that we have our eyes on.

Old
11-02-2013, 09:38 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:

I said a couple of posts earlier, what about Randy Cunneyworth? He was a good coach for the Amerks and has experience coaching young players. Honestly, I'd much rather have him developing professional hockey players than RR.

Old
11-02-2013, 09:39 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Zisman View Post
Can't speak to his personal ability with development. But he's definitely a well respected coach who has a cup ring and has taken multiple teams deep in the playoffs. He also gets his teams to play a very structured system and his players love him. Maybe I'm just desperate for a "real" coach who can actually implement a real NHL system instead of Ronlol's house hockey fire drill.
Ok. See I just want a coach who continues to lose more than wins this and next season, but develops the youth well. But sprinkling in a semi consistent effort would be nice too.

Closed Thread