HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Embracing the Rebuild: Tank Nation, the Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2013, 04:45 PM
SabresFan26

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
A guy drafted in slot 29 won't help win a cup the next year. Sure, the slot would be one later but the drafted player would be less(in expectation).
I am not disagreeing with you. I think the reason they didn't drop their 29th pick because that would be saying to the fan base we do not expect to win the cup this year

Old
11-05-2013, 04:49 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
I am not disagreeing with you. I think the reason they didn't drop their 29th pick because that would be saying to the fan base we do not expect to win the cup this year
93% of the fan base would never even have made the connection... and that doesn't even address the stupidity of the connection..."nah, we dont want to give up the 29th pick, because we are going for a cup, and would prefer giving up the 30th pick" :dumb:

if that was their reasoning, all those in the room that led to that decision should be fired.

Old
11-05-2013, 05:18 PM
SabresFan26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
93% of the fan base would never even have made the connection... and that doesn't even address the stupidity of the connection..."nah, we dont want to give up the 29th pick, because we are going for a cup, and would prefer giving up the 30th pick" :dumb:

if that was their reasoning, all those in the room that led to that decision should be fired.
haha someone has to try and understand their thinking right?

Old
11-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
haha someone has to try and understand their thinking right?
Lou Lams is living on borrowed time IMO... he's done an awful jobover the last decade and that token cup run doesn't hide how awful they've been... meaning management

Old
11-06-2013, 10:37 AM
DixonWard15

Old
11-06-2013, 10:54 AM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
The Devils main concern recently, as far as I can tell, has been trying to stretch their window of contention as much as they can without any regard for the long term effects.
And a mighty good stretch it was, in spite of their recent troubles.

Old
11-06-2013, 11:11 AM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
I like to imagine that "Yakity Sax" is playing when the Sabres are in the defensive zone.

Old
11-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Chainshot
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Buffalo remains last with the Flyers two points back yet Philly has 3 games in hand. ROW, Buffalo continues to have a lead with their paltry 1 regulation win on the year over fellow divisional stink-o Florida's 2.

11-06-2013, 05:28 PM
LaFontaineToMogilny

Quote:
Only excuse could be that it shows the fans that we expect to win the cup next year and that if they give up that pick they're telling their team we don't expect to win the cup, other than that ya stupid not to give it up
If that is their reasoning they are plain stupid. I tend to think that people in such high places are generally semi competent (though Jay Feaster's offer sheet for O'Reilly rattled that belief some).

That said, it is puzzling to try to figure out the reasoning behind that move. The only semi reasonable explanation I have heard is that perhaps they want as much time between the infraction and the punishment as possible for when they try to get it overturned.

Or perhaps they want the forfeited pick to be as high as possible so they can use it to get better pieces when they trade the pick to Calgary?

Old
11-06-2013, 06:14 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

vCash: 720
If the NHL overturns the Devils forfeiture of their 1st this year I will start a riot. That's ******** they got caught, they got punished and now they deserve to lose their top 7 draft pick. Lou Lamoriello could have forfeited 29, instead he wanted to draft a 3rd line caliber player in Matteau.

I love the fact that the Devs must forfeit their 1st, now that means the Isles pick is actually one pick higher then the actual number value (I.e. if the Isles finish with the 11th pick it is technically 10th overall)

Old
11-06-2013, 06:36 PM
I like Franson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
If the NHL overturns the Devils forfeiture of their 1st this year I will start a riot. That's ******** they got caught, they got punished and now they deserve to lose their top 7 draft pick. Lou Lamoriello could have forfeited 29, instead he wanted to draft a 3rd line caliber player in Matteau.

I love the fact that the Devs must forfeit their 1st, now that means the Isles pick is actually one pick higher then the actual number value (I.e. if the Isles finish with the 11th pick it is technically 10th overall)
Pick #30 will be ours

Old
11-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Zip15

vCash: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post

Why would they get their pick back? That's ridiculous. You're the second person who has mentioned it in the last week. Not gonna happen.

Old
11-06-2013, 07:36 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reacher Gilt View Post
Pick #30 will be ours
Just thought of that. What is the record amount of 1st rounders/top 30 picks used in a single draft? If we finish dead last as projected and already own the Isles 1st,that's 3 picks already. And with Moulson, Ott, Miller and Ehrhoff potentially available I can definitely see 3 1sts coming back. Too bad this wasnt for last years draft.

Old
11-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
I'd be more worried about Seattle or Quebec or whatever the expansion teams will be getting approved this off season and getting a team just in time for the 2015 draft. It would be a very NHL thing to give them McDavid and Barzal. The chance of that happening is much, much greater than the Devils getting their pick back.

Old
11-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Akipa
HFB Partner

Latest Move Proves Buffalo Making the Most of Rebuild

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/11/...st-of-rebuild/

Old
11-09-2013, 04:19 AM
omglolnub

A friend of mine asked me about a timeline for the Sabres tank nation, a plan...how close am I to the consensus around here?

They're going to tank for 1st or 2nd overall in the draft for this season (13-14) and next (14-15) at the bare minimum.

15-16 is the swing year. It might be another tank year or this current crop of rookies/young players that are getting throttled by the opposition at the moment could develop and get to 10th place or so if Ron Rolston is fired at that time. He's a bad coach; great for tanking, but bad for developing players into a real team.

16-17 would be when the team makes a playoff appearance and be destroyed in 4-5 games if they didn't tank in 15-16...or would be the aforementioned 10th place year if they did.

17-18 is when the pieces will start to fit or become more of a power house, depending on if they tank for 2 seasons or defer a year and tank for 3.

Old
11-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by omglolnub View Post
A friend of mine asked me about a timeline for the Sabres tank nation, a plan...how close am I to the consensus around here?

They're going to tank for 1st or 2nd overall in the draft for this season (13-14) and next (14-15) at the bare minimum.

15-16 is the swing year. It might be another tank year or this current crop of rookies/young players that are getting throttled by the opposition at the moment could develop and get to 10th place or so if Ron Rolston is fired at that time. He's a bad coach; great for tanking, but bad for developing players into a real team.

16-17 would be when the team makes a playoff appearance and be destroyed in 4-5 games if they didn't tank in 15-16...or would be the aforementioned 10th place year if they did.

17-18 is when the pieces will start to fit or become more of a power house, depending on if they tank for 2 seasons or defer a year and tank for 3.
I think you generally have it.

14/15 is going to be another bad year, but quite as bad as this year.

15/16 we'll start to see noticeable improvement -- maybe contend for a playoff spot, maybe fall just short.

16/17 SHOULD be the year where we really start to make noise towards the playoffs, and hopefully make it or just barely miss.

17/18 could be the "fill holes via FA and go" year where we should really be ready....might also be Compher's rookie year (which might add yet another dimension to the lineup)

Old
11-09-2013, 12:06 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
I think you generally have it.

14/15 is going to be another bad year, but quite as bad as this year.

15/16 we'll start to see noticeable improvement -- maybe contend for a playoff spot, maybe fall just short.

16/17 SHOULD be the year where we really start to make noise towards the playoffs, and hopefully make it or just barely miss.

17/18 could be the "fill holes via FA and go" year where we should really be ready....might also be Compher's rookie year (which might add yet another dimension to the lineup)
I love these comically simplistic timelines. Why exactly are we going to see "noticeable improvement" in 15/16? Just because thats how these rebuilds work? And we are never going to get to the fill voids with a "fill holes via UFA and go" phase because no players want to come here and suffering through years of suck isn't going help change their minds. Its going to take aggressive trades on Darcy's part (meaning the occasional overpayment) to bring in some of the pieces we will need.

If we are as epically bad next year as we are this year then we are not doing it right and will be mired in the abyss of losing for quite a long time. I hope fans realize there are no saviors to be drafted in the upcoming draft. None of the top players from what I've seen or read is a franchise level player. In fact the only player of that ilk available in the next two drafts is McDavid. If our rebuild is actually hinging on the hope we get him, then we are utterly lost as an organization. The only way we start heading in the right direction by the 15/16 season is if the youngsters (25 and under) already on the team or in the system are properly developed. Thus the concern many of us have with Rolston being tasked with that as well as Darcy mindset of throwng a bunch of kids out there every night.

Last edited by joshjull: 11-09-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old
11-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Sabre Dance
Jack Be Nimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I love these comically simplistic timelines. Why exactly are we going to see "noticeable improvement" in 15/16? Just because thats how these rebuilds work? And we are never going to get to the fill voids with a "fill holes via UFA and go" phase because no players want to come here and suffering through years of suck isn't going help change their minds. Its going to take aggressive trades on Darcy's part (meaning the occasional overpayment) to bring in some of the pieces we will need.

If we are as epically bad next year as we are this year then we are not doing it right and will be mired in the abyss of losing for quite a long time. I hope fans realize there are no saviors to be drafted in the upcoming draft. None of the top players from what I've seen or read is a franchise level player. In fact the only player of that ilk available in the next two drafts is McDavid. If our rebuild is actually hinging on the hope we get him, then we are utterly lost as an organization. The only way we start heading in the right direction by the 15/16 season is if the youngsters (25 and under) already on the team or in the system are properly developed. Thus the concern many of us have with Rolston being tasked with that as well as Darcy mindset of throwng a bunch of kids out there every night.
I think they will be worse next year. I dont see anyway how they improve. Our young players are still really young. I dont see anyone set to break out next year. Maybe Foligno, but IMo he is Paul Gaustad all over again. Very overrated.

Grigorenko and Girgensons are a couple years from a possible break out IMO. Hodgson maybe. Ennis, been waiting a couple years for it.

The difference with the players we draft this year and next year we will expect them to be our future star 1st line players. Players we have now are projected as 2nd and 3rd liners. We have a few D projected top 4, but very young.

Old
11-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Sabre Dance
Jack Be Nimble

My biggest question is how do we reach the cap floor? John Scott 1 year $10 million contract?

Old
11-09-2013, 02:03 PM
EichHart

Even if we finish last this year and next we have a 25% chance of getting that 1st overall franchise player. The odds favor us not getting that pick even if we have the tanks to end all tanks.

Old
11-09-2013, 02:22 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Even if we finish last this year and next we have a 25% chance of getting that 1st overall franchise player. The odds favor us not getting that pick even if we have the tanks to end all tanks.
Well good thing their is more then one pick right?

Old
11-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Deevo

Quote:
What choice do we have? Take the odds and hope for the best.

Old
11-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Sabre Dance
Jack Be Nimble

Quote:
Anyone see Breaking Bad when Walt is in the crawl space laughing, that will be me if we have the worst record next year and miss out on the #1 pick.

Old
11-09-2013, 02:54 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Why would they get their pick back? That's ridiculous. You're the second person who has mentioned it in the last week. Not gonna happen.
I don't think it will happen. But many people float the idea that the league would do something about it since Kovy is gone. Rules are rules and the Devils MUST forfeit their 1st round pick this year. If they end up forfeiting a top 5 pick then so be it. They broke the rules and now they must pay. If Devil fans should aim their anger anywhere, it shouldn't be at the league but at their aging and now mediocre GM who would rather pick a 3rd line caliber prospect in Matteau then forfeit pick #29 in the 2012 draft which was good but not great.

Closed Thread