HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

I know its early but...

Old
10-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Calirose

vCash: 500
I know its early but...

From this season on: What are the chances Bernier turns out to be the better goalie?

Now I love JQ just as much as any Kings fan.

But I'll play the devils advocate (in this case the Leafs advocate?):

I could them being roughly equal for the next few years in SV% but Bernier playing much better into his 30s. Largely because so much of Quick's game is based on his athleticism. If they are close now, Bernier will likely have the upper hand later.

I'd say there's a 35% chance Bernier ends up being a better goalie then JQ from the trade on.

Calirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

0% chance. I love Bernier. He's an absolute joy to watch. I was actually happy that he got traded to a team where he could be the #1 but he's just not better than Quick.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 10:37 AM
Fishhead

JB has a ways to go to surpass Quick. JQ won a cup, a Conn, and will likely be the #1 in the Olympics. Quick should break down sooner because of the stress he puts on his body, but that is many years down the road.

I think JB is very close to JQ in physical ability, but Quick has a substantial mental edge and he can shut the door in crunch time during the most pressured situations like very few goalies can.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 10:41 AM
onlyalad

I think he could be better someday. Not better than Quick 2012 but better than Quick over the long run maybe

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 10:54 AM
KingsFan7824

He may or may not. The Kings made their bed once they signed Quick to the 10 year deal. Bernier was a luxury they could no longer afford or carry, and Toronto may end up being the beneficiary of just being the right team at the right time. If the cap doesn't go down this year, maybe the Kings don't need a cheap backup, or extra cap space thrown in, and teams have to put more into the pot. But, c'est la vie.

Count me in for a Quick/Bernier match-up in the Final.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 10:57 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Bernier for consistency, Quick for top end play.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 11:04 AM
bmr

I've pondered the Quick vs. Bernier debate for a really long time now. First and foremost, they are both A-1 caliber goalies in this league. No question about it.

Given what Quick has meant to this team and the way he carries himself on and off the ice, I don't think there is any way you can choose Bernier over him. Can any Kings fan justify this? They both have the desire and will to win, but we simply won't know enough about Bernier until he is tested deep in a playoff run. All signs point to his future success, but we simply don't know yet. It's kinda like when Philly traded Richards for Schenn. Schenn was projected to be a higher output scorer than Richards, but it is still a risk and he may never reach that.

Bernier won't be able to keep up these astronomical numbers over the course of the season. He will come back down to earth eventually.. Quick tends to be slow out of the gate and really step up his focus later in the season and in the playoffs. I think Scrivens will be more than a capable backup. I also think that our defense hasn't been completely solidified yet, and this was a major reason why we have been so effective over the past few years. Our defensive pairings stayed healthy and Quick knew exactly what he was getting in front of his crease.

The only thing that really ever made me nervous about Quick was his puckhandling. Bernier is clearly superior in this regard. However, I would give Quick the nod as the better 1-on-1 goalie..despite some trouble on the shootout last year, he has been lights out in the past.

I'm not too worried about the Kings slow start at this point. Remember when Boston had the same trouble after they won the cup and then really turned it on for the rest of the season? I think the Kings are too good and have too many veterans to let that happen. Sutter made some very timely adjustments last year and I think he will do the same this year. Let's wait to see what happens in Manchester with the development of these kids. I suspect we will see at least Toffoli and one of Vey/Pearson this year.

bmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 11:16 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

while athleticism does seem to come down more quickly with age, Hasek did play until his 40's. you also have positional stalwarts like Giguere who's career came tumbling down a lot sooner than it should ahve. I would have to research it more, but I would almost have to argue that durability has less to do with style and more to do with mental toughness. Roy, Brodeur, Hasek all seemed to have that with completely different style.

but anywyas, Bernier has a very good shot at being better than JQ. But JQ right now is considered an elite goaltender in the league, arguably THE best in the NHL. Bernier being better than the current best goalie in the NHL doesnt' exactly make me cry tears of regret

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 11:27 AM
bmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
while athleticism does seem to come down more quickly with age, Hasek did play until his 40's. you also have positional stalwarts like Giguere who's career came tumbling down a lot sooner than it should ahve. I would have to research it more, but I would almost have to argue that durability has less to do with style and more to do with mental toughness. Roy, Brodeur, Hasek all seemed to have that with completely different style.

but anywyas, Bernier has a very good shot at being better than JQ. But JQ right now is considered an elite goaltender in the league, arguably THE best in the NHL. Bernier being better than the current best goalie in the NHL doesnt' exactly make me cry tears of regret
Another thing that is so amazing about Quick is his flexibility. I don't think there are many goalies in this league that are as flexible and can move as fast post to post as him. Bernier is better positionally, but he will be tested more with guys creating a lot of traffic in the crease. I think Quick is a better goalie down low.

bmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 11:46 AM
T2M

To the victor the spoils. I've been a huge JB fan since I saw him as a 16 year old in the Q. That said, the starting job in LA was his to lose and Quick won it. Then Quick held on to it by growing into a world-beater. If the argument is who will be better in 10 years, I'll enjoy the 10 years with Quick being better to the 1 year of JB being better because of his technical ability. The other thing to consider is whether or not Quick develops a more solid technique over time. Either way, one thing is for certain, Quick won the job over Bernier and then his play made Bernier expendable. That is the very definition of being better than the other guy in a competitive team sport.

T2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
He may end up being the better goaltender in the long run, especially given how Quick's style takes its toll on the body, but I think Bernier would have a difficult time at having a better career than Quick given the circumstances. Time will tell. In the end, it wouldn't matter either way. It is not like we were going to choose Bernier over Quick after 2012. I'm pretty happy with our decision and Quick in general. Best of luck to Bernier though.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quick is not only more athletic than Bernier, he's also more competitive. Again, that's no knock on Bernier, but Quick is just on a different level.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 02:24 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

I think there is a good chance for JB to be better because the way he plays is much more simpler on the body than quicks

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Richie10

Bernier will likely have the longevity while Quick will always have the higher peak.

Richie10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

HA! not this CRAP again ...

... but hey bro ...

vs. ooooooooooooh shiny.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Omni Owl

At this point, I'd take Bernier's spine vs. Quick's. You could really tell in JQ's lateral movements last year that something was off...

Omni Owl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Quattro

lololol I was wondering how long before we saw a thread like this

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 05:29 PM
damacles1156

Who cares ?

Quick has brought this franchise it's first Cup.....

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 05:35 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

In terms of mental toughness, Quick is probably the toughest player the Kings have, and that's saying something when you have guys like Richards, Greene, and Williams on the team.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 04:28 PM
Calirose

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Who cares ?

Quick has brought this franchise it's first Cup.....
well its matters quite a bit. we got the cup it was awesome. but if that was the best we would get out of quick. why didnt we trade him and not bernier. get kessel, kadri and a 1st back. esp. if scrivens is getting shutouts...

Calirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I think both Bernier and Quick are going to pale in comparison to the NHL's unbeatable man - Scrivens!

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 04:33 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calirose View Post
well its matters quite a bit. we got the cup it was awesome. but if that was the best we would get out of quick. why didnt we trade him and not bernier. get kessel, kadri and a 1st back. esp. if scrivens is getting shutouts...
Its Florida, they will score 1 goal or less a lot based on their offensive personnel.

KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 04:36 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

So far, Scrivens is the better backup.

Just goofing around for those of you want to jump on my previous sentence. :/

10-13-2013, 04:36 PM
takk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calirose View Post
Wow, I wonder what do you guys have sometimes. I shall get my hands onto those.

takk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 05:09 PM
ukyo

Quick's power level is already confirmed to be over 9000. Even if Bernier became better, how would you tell?

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote