HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
If we're making strides in the right direction and have had rotten luck, why do we need to shake up the team? Wouldn't it make more sense to stay the course and wait for the luck to turn around as opposed to making a drastic move? Seems contradictory to me.
They have played better but they still aren't getting results. Something's got to give. I'm just saying the coach isn't the problem. We have been expecting big improvements to the team for the last two years and we're still on track to come no where near playoffs.. It's time to do something not coach related.

Old
10-25-2013, 03:23 PM
Moose Coleman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
They have played better but they still aren't getting results. Something's got to give. I'm just saying the coach isn't the problem. We have been expecting big improvements to the team for the last two years and we're still on track to come no where near playoffs.. It's time to do something not coach related.
That's the problem. We've been conditioned thanks to teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh that rebuilding means sucking and then taking a sudden leap forward. I'm not sure it always works that way. Think of a team like the Islanders that are just starting to look semi-respectable five years after picking Tavares. Or St. Louis, who were pretty much garbage ever since the lockout.

IMO what this team needs now more than anything is the one thing it hasn't had in the past four years: stability. There's been so much turnover in players and coaches that more of the same isn't the answer IMO.

Old
10-25-2013, 03:26 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Perron, Arcobello, Gazdic Gordon, Belov, and Ference all full timers along with a few guys with some games.

Need a bit of time that's all.

Old
10-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Everest

Like every coach preceding him...he clearly can't find solid solutions to injury problems.

We can't possibly fire ANOTHER coach in the next calendar year...can we?!

Old
10-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Broilers

He has said to Will Acton to find a place in Edmonton and Arcobello is still in hotel. He shows favoritism because Will's father is in Dallas staff.

I can take it if Arcobello will not be sent to minors. MacT is probably bigger reason to these problems. He didn't make bold moves and gave the team which consists of juniors and minor leaguers.

Old
10-25-2013, 05:21 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
Let me put it this way; the struggles of the PP are an annoyance, but should not overshadow the far better 5v5 scoring and play in general that we have seen so far this season.

I'd much rather be a better team at 5v5 that struggles in the PP, than a great PP team that struggles 5v5.
Oh I agree, there's too much talent that has been too good on the PP in the past couple years for it to not start clicking eventually. I do think there are a lot of good signs that are slowly coming along but there's been so much losing for that team lately that people don't have the patience that is required here. This team is going to get itself sorted out simply because I don't think MacT is going to be throwing Eakins under the bus. Players are going to be held accountable.

It is a shame that Kreuger wasn't the kind of coach Mctavish wanted because swapping coaches all the time doesn't help any of the young players learn how to play in the league.

Old
10-25-2013, 05:49 PM
decma

I don't know about shots, Corsi, or scoring chances, but in terms of goals, Edm has been worse 5-on-5 this year than last year.

Last season, 82 GF and 91 GA in 5 on 5 situations.

This season, 21 GF and 27 GA in 5 on 5 situations.
Projected over 48 games: 92GF and 118 GA in 5 on 5 situations.

Old
10-25-2013, 06:05 PM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
He has said to Will Acton to find a place in Edmonton and Arcobello is still in hotel. He shows favoritism because Will's father is in Dallas staff.

I can take it if Arcobello will not be sent to minors. MacT is probably bigger reason to these problems. He didn't make bold moves and gave the team which consists of juniors and minor leaguers.
I haven't noticed Acton at all this season. I view that as a good thing. Granted I haven't caught as much Oilers action as I usually do. Anyone wanna correct me if he's been awful?

We can't expect every 4th line centre to play like Brodziak did back in the day.

Old
10-25-2013, 11:20 PM
shoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointteen View Post
I haven't noticed Acton at all this season. I view that as a good thing. Granted I haven't caught as much Oilers action as I usually do. Anyone wanna correct me if he's been awful?

We can't expect every 4th line centre to play like Brodziak did back in the day.
Acton hasn't been awful. The question is who is better to keep on the team when Gagner comes back. Acton or Arco?

Old
10-26-2013, 12:58 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
Acton hasn't been awful. The question is who is better to keep on the team when Gagner comes back. Acton or Arco?
I think Acton is an ok, not great 4C. Arcobello is a better player overall. The real question who is better as 2C: Arcobello or Gagner? I think the argument can be made Arcobello is at the very least better defensively and better on the dot, unless Gagner has improved dramatically in these areas.

Old
10-26-2013, 11:01 AM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by decma View Post
I don't know about shots, Corsi, or scoring chances, but in terms of goals, Edm has been worse 5-on-5 this year than last year.

Last season, 82 GF and 91 GA in 5 on 5 situations.

This season, 21 GF and 27 GA in 5 on 5 situations.
Projected over 48 games: 92GF and 118 GA in 5 on 5 situations.
You forget how many goals our goalies let in there for a few games lol?

Old
10-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

The state of the team has little to do with Eakins coaching ability and everything to do with the order in which this team has been rebuilt imo. The available first overall picks were all forwards, when the Oilers were drafting them. The team would have looked ridiculous drafting defenseman instead of the forwards who were the clear number one overall choices (with possibly one exception). Eakins is in a difficult position right now, but it's all circumstantial and not a reflection of coaching.

Most rebuilding teams build from their goaltender out, whereas the Oilers have built from a core of young forwards in. Our defense will be in good shape in a few years; we've restocked the cupboard with prospects and our offense will be in good shape as well in a few years, but the Oilers would have had more success sooner imo, if they had rebuilt the team from their goaltending out, surrounding him with a strong defensive core, and then acquiring skilled young forwards. The difficulty is that you really have to draft the best player available.

However, none of this is Eakins' fault, it is what it is. Though we would all like it to be otherwise--and perhaps MacT got our hopes up--patience is still the order of the day, for a little while longer, at any rate. This team will come together, eventually. Our young defensive prospects will change the composition of this team. They will be its backbone.

Last edited by Hockey Buddha: 10-26-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old
10-26-2013, 01:44 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Trial by fire for the kids

Old
10-26-2013, 07:02 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
His powerplay sucks. 0 for last 18? Shoot me.

Old
10-26-2013, 10:10 PM
stickguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post

However, none of this is Eakins' fault, it is what it is. Though we would all like it to be otherwise--and perhaps MacT got our hopes up--patience is still the order of the day, for a little while longer, at any rate. This team will come together, eventually. Our young defensive prospects will change the composition of this team. They will be its backbone.
You make some valid points about building from the back up HOWEVER I wouldn't be quite so easy on Eakins. Look at the Avalanche... lots of comparisons to the Oilers in terms of how the team is built but Patrick Roy has brought in a system that the players have bought into and they are racking up the wins. This despite a pretty no-name defense and goaltending that was questioned at the beginning of the year. Good coaches are able to get the best out of the players they are given...Eakins has not been able to show anything yet except he might be another over-hyped Junior coach that can't cut it in the big leagues.

Old
10-27-2013, 01:33 PM
Soundwave

The diamond formation on the PK isn't working for us, Eakins needs to make an adjustment there. Just giving up way too many goals from the points.

Old
10-27-2013, 01:58 PM
dem

Why would we change our special teams when they were the only freaking things working for us previously?

Old
10-27-2013, 02:21 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Why would we change our special teams when they were the only freaking things working for us previously?
I know it makes no sense.

How do we go from having elite special teams to being one of the worst in the entire NHL?

Old
10-27-2013, 02:26 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post

How do we go from having elite special teams to being one of the worst in the entire NHL?

He didn't know a system if it slapped him in the face, but special teams....

Old
10-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickguy View Post
You make some valid points about building from the back up HOWEVER I wouldn't be quite so easy on Eakins. Look at the Avalanche... lots of comparisons to the Oilers in terms of how the team is built but Patrick Roy has brought in a system that the players have bought into and they are racking up the wins. This despite a pretty no-name defense and goaltending that was questioned at the beginning of the year. Good coaches are able to get the best out of the players they are given...Eakins has not been able to show anything yet except he might be another over-hyped Junior coach that can't cut it in the big leagues.
If anything I think your post backs his up. Colorado got duchene, mackinnon and Landeskog, plus had the assets to get Johnson.

2 good centers and a gritty winger

Oilers got 1 center and 2 wingers. Our team just tanked at the wrong time. Add a duchene or mackinnon and subtract a Yakupov (im not just saying this because he is having a rough start) and our team is better imo. Then that would also allow the team to package Gagner and something for a dman just like Colorado did

Old
10-28-2013, 01:42 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:

Eakins changed the system. It's a completely new PP and PK. I stand by the fact his Tactics in the AHL don't transfer over to the NHL. More time and space in the AHL.

Old
10-28-2013, 01:46 PM
ResilientBeast
MLFH Edmonton Titans

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post

He didn't know a system if it slapped him in the face, but special teams....
We need him back, give him the blank cheque that we'd use to sign Smyth next time, we need him as our special teams coach.

Old
10-28-2013, 02:00 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:

Maybe we are missing Gagner He did lead the team in PP points (15) and SHP (2) last year.

I dont know about the system excuse. We just arent getting good shots on goals.
17 total for the game when we had 4 powerplays is pathetic.

Old
10-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Mint
Welcome Alexis

vCash: 50
I miss Renney.

Eakins is a clown of a coach.

Old
10-28-2013, 02:12 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
we go from mediocre faceoffs and terrible 5-5 scoring to excellent faceoffs and good 5 on 5 scoring

but we are last in special teams?

Is there a team that has a worse PK+PP combined?

Closed Thread