HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-28-2013, 03:14 PM
  #401
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
Eakins is a very good coach. We are just not getting the results.

Petro Points is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 03:16 PM
  #402
Kovacic
Talbot + Cap Space
 
Kovacic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Waterloo
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,540
vCash: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Eakins is a very good coach. We are just not getting the results.
What exactly qualifies him as a very good coach?

Not saying it's totally his fault, I blame the GM who constructed the roster first and foremost.

Kovacic is online now  
Old
10-28-2013, 03:19 PM
  #403
Playa Hejda
Registered User
 
Playa Hejda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: #yeg
Posts: 577
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep View Post
What exactly qualifies him as a very good coach?

Not saying it's totally his fault, I blame the GM who constructed the roster first and foremost.
I blame an owner who hired an idol who hired a buddy who hired a shiny bauble. But I'm a cynic.

Playa Hejda is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 03:20 PM
  #404
Kovacic
Talbot + Cap Space
 
Kovacic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Waterloo
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,540
vCash: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Hedja View Post
I blame an owner who hired an idol who hired a buddy who hired a shiny bauble. But I'm a cynic.
Oh you're absolutely correct. I stand corrected.

Kovacic is online now  
Old
10-28-2013, 03:23 PM
  #405
MeestaDeteta
Registered User
 
MeestaDeteta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Saskazoo
Posts: 7,754
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep View Post
I miss Renney.

Eakins is a clown of a coach.
What are some things he's done wrong or should be doing differently? Special teams have struggled, but other than that I don't have any qualms with what he's doing.

MeestaDeteta is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 03:28 PM
  #406
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep View Post
What exactly qualifies him as a very good coach?

Not saying it's totally his fault, I blame the GM who constructed the roster first and foremost.
He is using the players correctly and getting them ready for the next step. (going deep in playoffs)
Gordon took 42 shifts last game winning 21faceoffs losing 10 but only had 18:00TOI
Everyone here is claiming Acton to be his fav child but Lander had twice the ice time last night.
He saw Yak finally playing a smart game and rewarded him with 20mins of icetime.

Once Eakins gets RNH, Ebs, Hall, Perron and Yak consistently playing 20min+\night without burning out he will have a couple threats on ice all the time.

I like the focus he places on fitness, His demand to want the best players become the best players. willingness to bench a local hero (Smyth) and fan favorite (Yakupov)... Using gut instincts instead of the typical hockey manual (sending Labarbara back out)

I called Eakins a very good coach because I am a coach myself and can only dream of coaching like Eakins. Given what is dealt to him.. he is doing a fine job..

Edit: Now your turn... How is he a clown?

Petro Points is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 03:43 PM
  #407
KlimasLoveChild
Registered User
 
KlimasLoveChild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Toilet of Canada
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
He is using the players correctly and getting them ready for the next step. (going deep in playoffs)
Gordon took 42 shifts last game winning 21faceoffs losing 10 but only had 18:00TOI
Everyone here is claiming Acton to be his fav child but Lander had twice the ice time last night.
He saw Yak finally playing a smart game and rewarded him with 20mins of icetime.

Once Eakins gets RNH, Ebs, Hall, Perron and Yak consistently playing 20min+\night without burning out he will have a couple threats on ice all the time.

I like the focus he places on fitness, His demand to want the best players become the best players. willingness to bench a local hero (Smyth) and fan favorite (Yakupov)... Using gut instincts instead of the typical hockey manual (sending Labarbara back out)

I called Eakins a very good coach because I am a coach myself and can only dream of coaching like Eakins. Given what is dealt to him.. he is doing a fine job..

Edit: Now your turn... How is he a clown?
I'm with you I think Eakins is doing a fine job. He is making mistakes along the way but for the most part is quick to correct things. This is a process and will take some time for him to bring everything together. I like that he is sticking to his guns and has faith that his systems will work. Despite their record this team has been competitive on most nights playing without a number of star players, **** goaltending and majority of their games on the road. I see this turning around.

KlimasLoveChild is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 03:58 PM
  #408
Tarus
Fire Mact
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,000
vCash: 500
I always get a kick out of anti-Kreuger systems talk.

Any talk about the team improving 5x5 can easily be explained by the subtraction of Horcoff, Paajarvi, Whitney, Belanger(a group that ranged from ineffective to utterly apathetic), and the additions of Perron, Gordon, Ference, and Belov who are all easily superior to the supporting cast the Oilers were trotting out last year.

The Oilers have traded coaches for a slightly better offensive team, but a dramatically worse defensive squad with spectacularly bad special teams - all with a superior roster.

Early returns suggest that Eakins is a massive bust as an NHL coach so far, especially at the tactical level where the swarm defense is turning into a laughable sideshow.

Tarus is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 03:59 PM
  #409
Heavy Dee
Registered User
 
Heavy Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Hedja View Post
I blame an owner who hired an idol who hired a buddy who hired a shiny bauble. But I'm a cynic.
who is it that you think Katz hired?

Heavy Dee is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 04:07 PM
  #410
Playa Hejda
Registered User
 
Playa Hejda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: #yeg
Posts: 577
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Dee View Post
who is it that you think Katz hired?
Fine, I hereby change my snarky comment to "an owner that stood by and idol who..." Happy?

Playa Hejda is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 04:11 PM
  #411
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 26,636
vCash: 500
Hopefully if the Dubnyk/Bachman combo can give us at least .905-.910 goaltending on most nights, we can get a better read on his system, but he needs to get the powerplay going and fast.

Gagner should be back soon, so that should begin to normalize the roster rotation. Hopefully Joensuu is not far off either and Pitlick's injury isn't long term.

Soundwave is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 04:13 PM
  #412
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
I always get a kick out of anti-Kreuger systems talk.

Any talk about the team improving 5x5 can easily be explained by the subtraction of Horcoff, Paajarvi, Whitney, Belanger(a group that ranged from ineffective to utterly apathetic), and the additions of Perron, Gordon, Ference, and Belov who are all easily superior to the supporting cast the Oilers were trotting out last year.

The Oilers have traded coaches for a slightly better offensive team, but a dramatically worse defensive squad with spectacularly bad special teams - all with a superior roster.

Early returns suggest that Eakins is a massive bust as an NHL coach so far, especially at the tactical level where the swarm defense is turning into a laughable sideshow.
I am sure we will be saying the same next year aswell.. Every year we look back and say o we are better now because underacheiver 1, underacheiver 2 and 3 are no longer with us. Started back when we let go of Moreau\Staios and has been happening since.
Who will be next.. Smid+Jones+Hemsky ? One thing is for sure.. it is always someone.

I actually liked Kruger as a coach too and thought he was doing a fine job. It is what it is.. a rebuild... we needed 5 vets who were better than the 'big 4' and could lead by example. We cant go anywhere when Petry is suppose to be our #1Dman, Dubnyk #1G and RNH #1C ..

Petro Points is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 04:17 PM
  #413
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder
 
Steve BachIntyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 204
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,286
vCash: 500
So you guys think its easy taking the worst team in the NHL over the last years to an instant playoff contender?

The team has been playing very well, and Eakins is doing a great job with what he has. He is showing great poise by keeping his cool throughout all of this. I can just see Quinn's snarly sarcastic complaining in the pressers, or Renney's nonsensical jibber-jabber dissecting everything into detail blah blah blah, Eakins is just holding the fort and sticking to his guns, and it will pay off as we are seeing with the better play of the team.

Steve BachIntyre is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 04:18 PM
  #414
KlimasLoveChild
Registered User
 
KlimasLoveChild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Toilet of Canada
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
I always get a kick out of anti-Kreuger systems talk.

Any talk about the team improving 5x5 can easily be explained by the subtraction of Horcoff, Paajarvi, Whitney, Belanger(a group that ranged from ineffective to utterly apathetic), and the additions of Perron, Gordon, Ference, and Belov who are all easily superior to the supporting cast the Oilers were trotting out last year.

The Oilers have traded coaches for a slightly better offensive team, but a dramatically worse defensive squad with spectacularly bad special teams - all with a superior roster.

Early returns suggest that Eakins is a massive bust as an NHL coach so far, especially at the tactical level where the swarm defense is turning into a laughable sideshow.
Bwhahaha.....thanks for the good laugh man....let me guess you were part of the Ralph for Jack Adams 2013-14 crowd

KlimasLoveChild is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 04:48 PM
  #415
Tarus
Fire Mact
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
I am sure we will be saying the same next year aswell.. Every year we look back and say o we are better now because underacheiver 1, underacheiver 2 and 3 are no longer with us. Started back when we let go of Moreau\Staios and has been happening since.
Who will be next.. Smid+Jones+Hemsky ? One thing is for sure.. it is always someone.

I actually liked Kruger as a coach too and thought he was doing a fine job. It is what it is.. a rebuild... we needed 5 vets who were better than the 'big 4' and could lead by example. We cant go anywhere when Petry is suppose to be our #1Dman, Dubnyk #1G and RNH #1C ..
Players do decline and stop being able to contribute at some point, which was the case with both Moreau and Staios. The Oilers dropped Belanger(out of the NHL), Paajarvi(can't crack the Blue's roster), Whitney(Can't crack Florida's roster) and Horcoff(4th line minutes in Dallas) and replaced them with superior replacements(first time since Lowe was GM that something like that has happened), yet the team is significantly worse in key areas.

Hiring any new rookie head coach is not without risks, and it doesn't look like it's paying off with Eakins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
Bwhahaha.....thanks for the good laugh man....let me guess you were part of the Ralph for Jack Adams 2013-14 crowd
No, I wasn't, and you don't have to like Kreuger to see problems with Eakins either.

The Oilers have similar problems from last year(because they are personnel issues, not coaching), with a severe decline in performance in other areas that are related to systems play.

Tarus is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 04:50 PM
  #416
CorpseFX
Registered User
 
CorpseFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 7,751
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Hedja View Post
I blame an owner who hired an idol who hired a buddy who hired a shiny bauble. But I'm a cynic.
fire the owner!
booo!! hiss! can't believe a business man is making me suffer to watch a game! boo!!

CorpseFX is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 04:57 PM
  #417
Musashi
Registered User
 
Musashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,360
vCash: 500
I still like Eakins and although this season will once again go through a lot of growing pains, I still believe this team will finally see some real improvement and growth during this season.

Quite certain of it actually

Musashi is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 05:01 PM
  #418
A Classy Banana
Registered User
 
A Classy Banana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 336
vCash: 500
For the life of me I do not understand why he continues to play Yakupov on the point on the PP. This clearly isn't working. He was deadly on the right half wall last year (he scored from here last night!).. why not give him a shot there?

A Classy Banana is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 05:02 PM
  #419
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 26,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Classy Banana View Post
For the life of me I do not understand why he continues to play Yakupov on the point on the PP. This clearly isn't working. He was deadly on the right half wall last year (he scored from here last night!).. why not give him a shot there?
He hasn't been playing the point on the PP for a while. Eberle is playing point on the PP now.

Soundwave is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 05:09 PM
  #420
PaperDesigner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 818
vCash: 500
Dallas Eakins... is not the problem.

If he has a roster with a quality group of defencemen, and they're still losing, I'll have some concern.

Even some of the concerns I had about depth players on the lower lines have been alleviated by the strong play of Arcobello, Pitlick, Joensuu, and others. If everyone was healthy, there'd be the makings of a pretty good forward group.

But there's still only one defenceman I would call top pairing quality (Petry is a legitimate number 2, IMO), one playing in the top four who just isn't ready (Justin Schultz should be on the third pairing, with first unit powerplay time), a bunch of lower tier players, and most problematically, no real go-to number one defenceman. He doesn't even need to be a traditional first unit powerplay, penalty kill and even strength player, but they need someone who can dominate even strength minutes against tough competition and come out ahead. And to push everyone back one slot on the depth chart.

Fix the defence, and then we can start blaming Eakins if it doesn't turn around.

PaperDesigner is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 05:18 PM
  #421
Up the Irons
Registered User
 
Up the Irons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,839
vCash: 408
i think Eakins will do fine, but all these coaching changes have been the 3nd biggest drag on this rebuild (the first being Tambo striking out on every acquisition he made, the 2nd, assembling an imbalanced lineup that is way too small).

they should have stuck with Renney. They had an experienced, quality NHL coach and they skidded him, why? Because Tambo said 'we are now going to demand better'??? It was nothing but a Tambellini scapegoat move and set the rebuild back at least 2 years. Lowe should be skidded for the Tambo hiring alone. what did he see in that guy? he messed up everything.

Up the Irons is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 05:31 PM
  #422
EgoEakins
Registered User
 
EgoEakins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Beside my neighbor..
Country: Canada
Posts: 459
vCash: 500
Last night, was the first time I have ever seen Dallas Eakins display any sort of emotion behind the bench..
I don't know if this is just frustration setting in, or just realizing ,this team doesn't adapt well to change..



EgoEakins is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 05:35 PM
  #423
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by satcat View Post
Last night, was the first time I have ever seen Dallas Eakins display any sort of emotion behind the bench..
I don't know if this is just frustration setting in, or just realizing ,this team doesn't adapt well to change..


that has nothing to do with adapting to changes...
This was right after we got caught for too many men ...

hmm unless u meant adapting well to line changes... in that case you would be dead right

Petro Points is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 05:38 PM
  #424
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Players do decline and stop being able to contribute at some point, which was the case with both Moreau and Staios. The Oilers dropped Belanger(out of the NHL), Paajarvi(can't crack the Blue's roster), Whitney(Can't crack Florida's roster) and Horcoff(4th line minutes in Dallas) and replaced them with superior replacements(first time since Lowe was GM that something like that has happened), yet the team is significantly worse in key areas.
These guys were nothing but fillers by the end of last year.
N.Schultz could be the Belanger, Gazdic the Whitney, Hemsky the Paajarvi and Arcobello the Horcoff next year.

We will be looking back and cringing at the thoughts of how bad we were and how much better we look.


Eakins is dealt Dubnyk as starting goalie.. Petry as #1Dman .. and a scrawny kid returning from injury as #1C ..
add in a lazy russian, lack of size up front... a small forward playing D in J.Schultz and vets that demand icetime.
Let him work through things... He may not be the best but should stick around for atleast 2 or 3 more yrs

Petro Points is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 05:45 PM
  #425
Oiltankjob Fail
Registered User
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,693
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
I always get a kick out of anti-Kreuger systems talk.

Any talk about the team improving 5x5 can easily be explained by the subtraction of Horcoff, Paajarvi, Whitney, Belanger(a group that ranged from ineffective to utterly apathetic), and the additions of Perron, Gordon, Ference, and Belov who are all easily superior to the supporting cast the Oilers were trotting out last year.

The Oilers have traded coaches for a slightly better offensive team, but a dramatically worse defensive squad with spectacularly bad special teams - all with a superior roster.

Early returns suggest that Eakins is a massive bust as an NHL coach so far, especially at the tactical level where the swarm defense is turning into a laughable sideshow.
What does this have to do with anything Eakins has nice hair Krueger did not therefore Eakins> Krueger Records don't count. Or facts.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.