HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 500
Eakins is a very good coach. We are just not getting the results.

Old
10-28-2013, 03:16 PM
Kovacic
Talbot + Cap Space

vCash: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Eakins is a very good coach. We are just not getting the results.
What exactly qualifies him as a very good coach?

Not saying it's totally his fault, I blame the GM who constructed the roster first and foremost.

Old
10-28-2013, 03:19 PM
Playa Hejda

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep View Post

Not saying it's totally his fault, I blame the GM who constructed the roster first and foremost.
I blame an owner who hired an idol who hired a buddy who hired a shiny bauble. But I'm a cynic.

Old
10-28-2013, 03:20 PM
Kovacic
Talbot + Cap Space

vCash: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Hedja View Post
I blame an owner who hired an idol who hired a buddy who hired a shiny bauble. But I'm a cynic.
Oh you're absolutely correct. I stand corrected.

Old
10-28-2013, 03:23 PM
MeestaDeteta

Quote:
I miss Renney.

Eakins is a clown of a coach.
What are some things he's done wrong or should be doing differently? Special teams have struggled, but other than that I don't have any qualms with what he's doing.

Old
10-28-2013, 03:28 PM
Petro Points

Quote:

He is using the players correctly and getting them ready for the next step. (going deep in playoffs)
Gordon took 42 shifts last game winning 21faceoffs losing 10 but only had 18:00TOI
Everyone here is claiming Acton to be his fav child but Lander had twice the ice time last night.
He saw Yak finally playing a smart game and rewarded him with 20mins of icetime.

Once Eakins gets RNH, Ebs, Hall, Perron and Yak consistently playing 20min+\night without burning out he will have a couple threats on ice all the time.

I like the focus he places on fitness, His demand to want the best players become the best players. willingness to bench a local hero (Smyth) and fan favorite (Yakupov)... Using gut instincts instead of the typical hockey manual (sending Labarbara back out)

I called Eakins a very good coach because I am a coach myself and can only dream of coaching like Eakins. Given what is dealt to him.. he is doing a fine job..

Edit: Now your turn... How is he a clown?

Old
10-28-2013, 03:43 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
He is using the players correctly and getting them ready for the next step. (going deep in playoffs)
Gordon took 42 shifts last game winning 21faceoffs losing 10 but only had 18:00TOI
Everyone here is claiming Acton to be his fav child but Lander had twice the ice time last night.
He saw Yak finally playing a smart game and rewarded him with 20mins of icetime.

Once Eakins gets RNH, Ebs, Hall, Perron and Yak consistently playing 20min+\night without burning out he will have a couple threats on ice all the time.

I like the focus he places on fitness, His demand to want the best players become the best players. willingness to bench a local hero (Smyth) and fan favorite (Yakupov)... Using gut instincts instead of the typical hockey manual (sending Labarbara back out)

I called Eakins a very good coach because I am a coach myself and can only dream of coaching like Eakins. Given what is dealt to him.. he is doing a fine job..

Edit: Now your turn... How is he a clown?
I'm with you I think Eakins is doing a fine job. He is making mistakes along the way but for the most part is quick to correct things. This is a process and will take some time for him to bring everything together. I like that he is sticking to his guns and has faith that his systems will work. Despite their record this team has been competitive on most nights playing without a number of star players, **** goaltending and majority of their games on the road. I see this turning around.

Old
10-28-2013, 03:58 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

I always get a kick out of anti-Kreuger systems talk.

Any talk about the team improving 5x5 can easily be explained by the subtraction of Horcoff, Paajarvi, Whitney, Belanger(a group that ranged from ineffective to utterly apathetic), and the additions of Perron, Gordon, Ference, and Belov who are all easily superior to the supporting cast the Oilers were trotting out last year.

The Oilers have traded coaches for a slightly better offensive team, but a dramatically worse defensive squad with spectacularly bad special teams - all with a superior roster.

Early returns suggest that Eakins is a massive bust as an NHL coach so far, especially at the tactical level where the swarm defense is turning into a laughable sideshow.

Old
10-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Heavy Dee

Quote:
who is it that you think Katz hired?

Old
10-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Playa Hejda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Dee View Post
who is it that you think Katz hired?
Fine, I hereby change my snarky comment to "an owner that stood by and idol who..." Happy?

Old
10-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Soundwave

Hopefully if the Dubnyk/Bachman combo can give us at least .905-.910 goaltending on most nights, we can get a better read on his system, but he needs to get the powerplay going and fast.

Gagner should be back soon, so that should begin to normalize the roster rotation. Hopefully Joensuu is not far off either and Pitlick's injury isn't long term.

Old
10-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post

Any talk about the team improving 5x5 can easily be explained by the subtraction of Horcoff, Paajarvi, Whitney, Belanger(a group that ranged from ineffective to utterly apathetic), and the additions of Perron, Gordon, Ference, and Belov who are all easily superior to the supporting cast the Oilers were trotting out last year.

The Oilers have traded coaches for a slightly better offensive team, but a dramatically worse defensive squad with spectacularly bad special teams - all with a superior roster.

Early returns suggest that Eakins is a massive bust as an NHL coach so far, especially at the tactical level where the swarm defense is turning into a laughable sideshow.
I am sure we will be saying the same next year aswell.. Every year we look back and say o we are better now because underacheiver 1, underacheiver 2 and 3 are no longer with us. Started back when we let go of Moreau\Staios and has been happening since.
Who will be next.. Smid+Jones+Hemsky ? One thing is for sure.. it is always someone.

I actually liked Kruger as a coach too and thought he was doing a fine job. It is what it is.. a rebuild... we needed 5 vets who were better than the 'big 4' and could lead by example. We cant go anywhere when Petry is suppose to be our #1Dman, Dubnyk #1G and RNH #1C ..

Old
10-28-2013, 04:17 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

So you guys think its easy taking the worst team in the NHL over the last years to an instant playoff contender?

The team has been playing very well, and Eakins is doing a great job with what he has. He is showing great poise by keeping his cool throughout all of this. I can just see Quinn's snarly sarcastic complaining in the pressers, or Renney's nonsensical jibber-jabber dissecting everything into detail blah blah blah, Eakins is just holding the fort and sticking to his guns, and it will pay off as we are seeing with the better play of the team.

Old
10-28-2013, 04:18 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:

Bwhahaha.....thanks for the good laugh man....let me guess you were part of the Ralph for Jack Adams 2013-14 crowd

Old
10-28-2013, 04:48 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
I am sure we will be saying the same next year aswell.. Every year we look back and say o we are better now because underacheiver 1, underacheiver 2 and 3 are no longer with us. Started back when we let go of Moreau\Staios and has been happening since.
Who will be next.. Smid+Jones+Hemsky ? One thing is for sure.. it is always someone.

I actually liked Kruger as a coach too and thought he was doing a fine job. It is what it is.. a rebuild... we needed 5 vets who were better than the 'big 4' and could lead by example. We cant go anywhere when Petry is suppose to be our #1Dman, Dubnyk #1G and RNH #1C ..
Players do decline and stop being able to contribute at some point, which was the case with both Moreau and Staios. The Oilers dropped Belanger(out of the NHL), Paajarvi(can't crack the Blue's roster), Whitney(Can't crack Florida's roster) and Horcoff(4th line minutes in Dallas) and replaced them with superior replacements(first time since Lowe was GM that something like that has happened), yet the team is significantly worse in key areas.

Hiring any new rookie head coach is not without risks, and it doesn't look like it's paying off with Eakins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
Bwhahaha.....thanks for the good laugh man....let me guess you were part of the Ralph for Jack Adams 2013-14 crowd
No, I wasn't, and you don't have to like Kreuger to see problems with Eakins either.

The Oilers have similar problems from last year(because they are personnel issues, not coaching), with a severe decline in performance in other areas that are related to systems play.

Old
10-28-2013, 04:50 PM
CorpseFX

Quote:
fire the owner!
booo!! hiss! can't believe a business man is making me suffer to watch a game! boo!!

Old
10-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Musashi

I still like Eakins and although this season will once again go through a lot of growing pains, I still believe this team will finally see some real improvement and growth during this season.

Quite certain of it actually

Old
10-28-2013, 05:01 PM
A Classy Banana

For the life of me I do not understand why he continues to play Yakupov on the point on the PP. This clearly isn't working. He was deadly on the right half wall last year (he scored from here last night!).. why not give him a shot there?

Old
10-28-2013, 05:02 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Classy Banana View Post
For the life of me I do not understand why he continues to play Yakupov on the point on the PP. This clearly isn't working. He was deadly on the right half wall last year (he scored from here last night!).. why not give him a shot there?
He hasn't been playing the point on the PP for a while. Eberle is playing point on the PP now.

Old
10-28-2013, 05:09 PM
PaperDesigner

Dallas Eakins... is not the problem.

If he has a roster with a quality group of defencemen, and they're still losing, I'll have some concern.

Even some of the concerns I had about depth players on the lower lines have been alleviated by the strong play of Arcobello, Pitlick, Joensuu, and others. If everyone was healthy, there'd be the makings of a pretty good forward group.

But there's still only one defenceman I would call top pairing quality (Petry is a legitimate number 2, IMO), one playing in the top four who just isn't ready (Justin Schultz should be on the third pairing, with first unit powerplay time), a bunch of lower tier players, and most problematically, no real go-to number one defenceman. He doesn't even need to be a traditional first unit powerplay, penalty kill and even strength player, but they need someone who can dominate even strength minutes against tough competition and come out ahead. And to push everyone back one slot on the depth chart.

Fix the defence, and then we can start blaming Eakins if it doesn't turn around.

Old
10-28-2013, 05:18 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
i think Eakins will do fine, but all these coaching changes have been the 3nd biggest drag on this rebuild (the first being Tambo striking out on every acquisition he made, the 2nd, assembling an imbalanced lineup that is way too small).

they should have stuck with Renney. They had an experienced, quality NHL coach and they skidded him, why? Because Tambo said 'we are now going to demand better'??? It was nothing but a Tambellini scapegoat move and set the rebuild back at least 2 years. Lowe should be skidded for the Tambo hiring alone. what did he see in that guy? he messed up everything.

Old
10-28-2013, 05:31 PM
EgoEakins

Last night, was the first time I have ever seen Dallas Eakins display any sort of emotion behind the bench..
I don't know if this is just frustration setting in, or just realizing ,this team doesn't adapt well to change..

Old
10-28-2013, 05:35 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by satcat View Post
Last night, was the first time I have ever seen Dallas Eakins display any sort of emotion behind the bench..
I don't know if this is just frustration setting in, or just realizing ,this team doesn't adapt well to change..

that has nothing to do with adapting to changes...
This was right after we got caught for too many men ...

hmm unless u meant adapting well to line changes... in that case you would be dead right

Old
10-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Players do decline and stop being able to contribute at some point, which was the case with both Moreau and Staios. The Oilers dropped Belanger(out of the NHL), Paajarvi(can't crack the Blue's roster), Whitney(Can't crack Florida's roster) and Horcoff(4th line minutes in Dallas) and replaced them with superior replacements(first time since Lowe was GM that something like that has happened), yet the team is significantly worse in key areas.
These guys were nothing but fillers by the end of last year.
N.Schultz could be the Belanger, Gazdic the Whitney, Hemsky the Paajarvi and Arcobello the Horcoff next year.

We will be looking back and cringing at the thoughts of how bad we were and how much better we look.

Eakins is dealt Dubnyk as starting goalie.. Petry as #1Dman .. and a scrawny kid returning from injury as #1C ..
add in a lazy russian, lack of size up front... a small forward playing D in J.Schultz and vets that demand icetime.
Let him work through things... He may not be the best but should stick around for atleast 2 or 3 more yrs

Old
10-28-2013, 05:45 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:

What does this have to do with anything Eakins has nice hair Krueger did not therefore Eakins> Krueger Records don't count. Or facts.

Closed Thread