HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2013, 05:09 PM
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
These guys were nothing but fillers by the end of last year.
N.Schultz could be the Belanger, Gazdic the Whitney, Hemsky the Paajarvi and Arcobello the Horcoff next year.

We will be looking back and cringing at the thoughts of how bad we were and how much better we look.
You're ignoring the players that were brought in to replace those filler players, players who are all superior to the outgoing players.

Quote:
Eakins is dealt Dubnyk as starting goalie.. Petry as #1Dman .. and a scrawny kid returning from injury as #1C ..
add in a lazy russian, lack of size up front... a small forward playing D in J.Schultz and vets that demand icetime.
Let him work through things... He may not be the best but should stick around for atleast 2 or 3 more yrs
And any of those issues weren't there last year?

Again, Eakins has similar problems with a superior roster, and is getting inferior results. With how bad some aspects of this team have been, we may be looking at a new coach for the 2nd half of this year, not 2 or 3 years from now.

Old
10-28-2013, 05:53 PM
EgoEakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
that has nothing to do with adapting to changes...
This was right after we got caught for too many men ...

hmm unless u meant adapting well to line changes... in that case you would be dead right
Yes you are correct about the line changes...
I think this is the third or fourth bench minor this year...
But Eakins has remained very unemotional up until now..even when Clifford extended his knee to hit RNH..
The unflappable stoic emotionless face has been broken... Is this a sign...

Old
10-28-2013, 06:35 PM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
With how bad some aspects of this team have been, we may be looking at a new coach for the 2nd half of this year, not 2 or 3 years from now.
That would be an absolutely horrendous move.

Who is going to jump at the chance to coach this team?

Eakins has a chance to be special. The team has to stop the coaching carousel.

What advantage could be gained by bringing in the sixth head coach in less than six seasons?

Old
10-28-2013, 06:45 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post

What advantage could be gained by bringing in the sixth head coach in less than six seasons?
Exactly, and the quality of coach your going to get will be less because why would you coach a team if you know your on a tight rope, i in all honesty think at the end of the day a coach matters more for teaching that inspiration or motivation these are grown men listen and play the game, guys who choose to do there own thing sit them out - if it means hall or yak since in thd press box for two weeks do it - julien and neely had seguin benched last year - eakins has held guys accountable inlike him alot

- also you fire a coach you say to the team its all on the coach
The best thing for Mact is to tell the team and media hes not going anywhere

- also people should consider for a moment teams are going to play this tough notice the hits on Petry, RNH, Hall, Pitlick teams arent taking this team lightly.

Old
10-28-2013, 06:49 PM
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit

Quote:

I'm not saying he should be fired. I'm saying that if the team continues to underwhelm as badly as it has been, it's a realistic possibility that he will be fired.

Eakins isn't Oilers alumni, he isn't going to get the same carte blanche Lowe/Mact and others have enjoyed.

Old
10-28-2013, 06:55 PM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
I'm not saying he should be fired. I'm saying that if the team continues to underwhelm as badly as it has been, it's a realistic possibility that he will be fired.

Eakins isn't Oilers alumni, he isn't going to get the same carte blanche Lowe/Mact and others have enjoyed.
on cmon. That just seems like pure conspiracy right there.

Old
10-28-2013, 09:15 PM
Lurr
Omicron Persei 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
He hasn't been playing the point on the PP for a while. Eberle is playing point on the PP now.
Really? for at least a little bit last night he was on the point. I'll admit I was pretty hung over and was drifting in and out of sleep, but I know I saw him there for a bit at least.

Old
10-28-2013, 10:56 PM
Everest

Quote:

If I were to check the record books...wouldn't I find Eakins is ALREADY "special"?

This must be among the all time worst October's in franchise history, no?

Is that enough to get him fired?

No. Probably not.

And your half right about the coach carousel. It gets to a point where any other coach worth the price of his tie isn't going to want to come to EDM because we might be labelled a coaching grave yard (if were not already). Nevermind the idea it might be nice to have just a stitch of continuity around here.

Still...I can't help but feel a little bit like Eakins isn't quite coming as advertised. I don't see all this "next big thing" hype being justified up to this point. Thus far...he has handled things about as good as any other average<>above average AHL coach might do.

If I'm right and Eakins ISN' the answer...well...Mac-T should be fired right with him being as how he went right to the peak of emphasis & support when endorsing "his guy".

Of course...then we get into the entire "Old Boys Club" counter-argument...and...well...ya...its pretty messed up around here. Still.

Old
10-28-2013, 11:27 PM
McShogun99

I wasn't a fan of Kruger but I thought he should have been given 1 more year. As for Eakins, he was highly regarded around the league. We need to stick with him for 2-3 seasons even if this season is a disaster.

Old
10-28-2013, 11:41 PM
moog35

Krueger wasn't even given a full training camp or pre season as a head coach. He should have been given one more year to prove himself

Old
10-28-2013, 11:52 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
on cmon. That just seems like pure conspiracy right there.
How so? We hire and fire coaches every year. MacT stepped down when things got bad, didn't really succeed anywhere else (I liked him on TSN) and Lowe was promoted to Prez after failing miserably. He hired Tambellini during the years where we intended to draft #1 overall, fired him when they thought things would turn around and hired his close friend MacT. MacT.. the guy that couldn't get an NHL job anywhere else, the guy that nobody saw as a GM rather than a coach.

So we have the same failures working in higher positions, with far more job security than coaches. And we just fire these coaches year after year, without providing them a decent roster.

It's very clear what's been going on and I find it laughable that you call it a conspiracy. It's not like people are trying to say Kevin Lowe and Daryl Katz are reptilian aliens hellbent on world domination.

Old
10-28-2013, 11:59 PM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by moog35 View Post
Krueger wasn't even given a full training camp or pre season as a head coach. He should have been given one more year to prove himself
Meh. I was a big fan of Krueger, but he also wasn't snapped up immediately by another team so it doesn't sting. Eakins had several teams' interest and he came here.

Plus if a GM and coach don't want to build the same team there will be problems. Eakins is MacT's guy.

Krueger got a raw deal, but it's part of the job.

Old
10-29-2013, 12:02 AM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

Quote:
Originally Posted by satcat View Post
Last night, was the first time I have ever seen Dallas Eakins display any sort of emotion behind the bench..
I don't know if this is just frustration setting in, or just realizing ,this team doesn't adapt well to change..

looks like hes saying J... F... C...

Old
10-29-2013, 12:21 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

He's making this team play harder than the other coaches have had in the depression era (I don't really know what else to call this period of Oilers history). Problem is the team still isn't good enough in too many areas to win games. Now we're seeing a team lose repeatedly by 1 goal instead of getting blown out every third game.

There were those who said they wouldn't mind seeing the Oilers go through a development year if it meant the team was fairly competitive in each game, even if the team actually lost those games. Well folks, this is what that looks like.

Granted, this kind of "development year" should have happened last year, and this should have been the blast off year, but alas, Tambellini ruined that plan.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
10-29-2013, 12:50 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
If I'm right and Eakins ISN'T the answer...well...Mac-T should be fired right with him being as how he went right to the peak of emphasis & support when endorsing "his guy".
I certainly don't think Eakins should be fired yet. Not even close to it. He's probably still at the stage where he's trying to evaluate what he has on the roster and what each guy is really capable of. Add to that he's been missing significant roster pieces all season long. Besides, I didn't expect to make the playoffs with this roster anyway, did you?

I do however totally agree with what you say about MacT. At the time MacT hired Eakins, I posted I was satisfied with the choice because it was all on MacT. No way he can fail to accept the blame if Eakins bombs.

Old
10-29-2013, 12:55 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by moog35 View Post
Krueger should not have been hired period. Not sure whether Eakins is the answer, but Kruger definitely was not the guy.

Old
10-29-2013, 12:58 AM
McspOiler

Honestly they are playing better then any year prior. This year will turn into a learning year with a good second half I bet. It will also be a year to really identify issues. I trust mact he's not dumb but neither are the other gms

Old
10-29-2013, 01:12 AM
thinlizzy

A little early to flip the switch on Eakins just yet. As others have stated rotating the next coach in isn't the answer here. We have been down number 1 and 2 centers and basically no 1 and 2 D men and the team has been battling. If we had decent goaltending our record wouldn't be so dismal. The players are fighting and reverting to old bad ways which have been cyclical for years. We still need to weed out a few debutants on this squad. Very frustrating to watch and cheer for.

Old
10-29-2013, 01:57 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinlizzy View Post
A little early to flip the switch on Eakins just yet. As others have stated rotating the next coach in isn't the answer here. We have been down number 1 and 2 centers and basically no 1 and 2 D men and the team has been battling. If we had decent goaltending our record wouldn't be so dismal. The players are fighting and reverting to old bad ways which have been cyclical for years. We still need to weed out a few debutants on this squad. Very frustrating to watch and cheer for.
Yes, I think this club will live and die by Eakins now. There is nowhere to retreat. All bridges have been burned.

MacT has 1 year to find

a starting goal-tender, a top pairing defensemen, a big No.2 centerman, veteran 3LW, better 4th line wingers (though I guess, one can live with Gazdic, Pitlick, Lander and the like, if they don't play more than 6-8 minutes a night.

Old
10-29-2013, 02:01 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Yes, I think this club will live and die by Eakins now. There is nowhere to retreat. All bridges have been burned.

MacT has 1 year to find

a starting goal-tender, a top pairing defensemen, a big No.2 centerman, veteran 3LW, better 4th line wingers (though I guess, one can live with Gazdic, Pitlick, Lander and the like, if they don't play more than 6-8 minutes a night.
4th line is not a problem. If the rest of the team is built even semi-properly, like the top 10 or 12 teams in the NHL are, the 4th line should not have to be a huge focus at all. Simply put, imo, you can take any 4th line forward in the NHL right now, even someone who is considered an "elite" 4th liner like Dan Paille, and put them on the Oilers and they'd still perform worse than wherever they came from.

Old
10-29-2013, 02:07 AM
Soundwave

Quote:

MacT has 1 year to find

I believe we have the pieces to acquire Brian Campbell and sign Jonas Hiller off the UFA market without having to give up any of Hall/RNH/Eberle/Yakupov/Schultz/Nurse/Klefbom.

Old
10-29-2013, 02:10 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

vCash: 1271
Quote:

MacT has 1 year to find

Mact has all the time in the world.

Daryl Ballard will make sure of that.

Old
10-29-2013, 02:22 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Mact has all the time in the world.

Daryl Ballard will make sure of that.
I don't think he does. He will soon have to decide what to do with some of the young core he's inherited. RNH's 6M extension kicks in next year. Petry will need a new deal this summer (likely in the neighbourhood of 3.5-4M per), as will J.Schultz (roughly the same as Petry). Yakupov is a RFA the year after. The window of opportunity may close for this club before it even opened. He can shed some salary (Dubnyk, N.Schultz, Hemsky, Smid maybe), but that probably won't be enough given the holes on this roster.
This is not even going into the morale costs of continuous losing. I won't be surprised, if some of the young stars soon start asking for a trade.

Last edited by tiger_80: 10-29-2013 at 02:28 AM.
Old
10-29-2013, 02:30 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I believe we have the pieces to acquire Brian Campbell and sign Jonas Hiller off the UFA market without having to give up any of Hall/RNH/Eberle/Yakupov/Schultz/Nurse/Klefbom.
I'd be ok with Campbell, but he will come with a price tag and a term. There is a risk he becomes a huge boat anchor a couple years into his contract. Unfortunately, they made that kind of investment on Ference already.

Old
10-29-2013, 05:11 AM
OiledUp

I think before we're getting acceptable goaltending and our forwards stop acting like midget players with the puck management it's hopeless to evaluate Eakins fairly. It's ofc on him to make sure the forwards play smarter but that's a process that takes more than 13 games and when it's your star players doing it it's a little more tricky benching them, if they're still giving the puck away as stupidly 30 games in I'll start to worry. As far as goaltending goes he's sort of stuck with what he's got.

In the case of goaltending the big questions are how Chabot still has a job and why MacT didn't find a better solution than signing LaBarbera and giving Dubnyk the #1 spot without competition despite obvious question marks. As of now our best hope is that he struck gold with Bachman and/or that Dubnyk bounces back big time and that's a doubtful bet as well.

Closed Thread