HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2013, 06:11 AM
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
I don't think he does. He will soon have to decide what to do with some of the young core he's inherited. RNH's 6M extension kicks in next year. Petry will need a new deal this summer (likely in the neighbourhood of 3.5-4M per), as will J.Schultz (roughly the same as Petry). Yakupov is a RFA the year after. The window of opportunity may close for this club before it even opened. He can shed some salary (Dubnyk, N.Schultz, Hemsky, Smid maybe), but that probably won't be enough given the holes on this roster.
This is not even going into the morale costs of continuous losing. I won't be surprised, if some of the young stars soon start asking for a trade.
The last time an issue with Mact's job came up within the organization, the only person in the city who had to be convinced that it was time move on was Katz, and Mact had to do the convincing because Katz has more loyalty than sense.

There is no such thing as a hot seat when it comes to Katz's former glory years, party buddies.

Old
10-29-2013, 08:20 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I certainly don't think Eakins should be fired yet. Not even close to it. He's probably still at the stage where he's trying to evaluate what he has on the roster and what each guy is really capable of. Add to that he's been missing significant roster pieces all season long. Besides, I didn't expect to make the playoffs with this roster anyway, did you? I do however totally agree with what you say about MacT. At the time MacT hired Eakins, I posted I was satisfied with the choice because it was all on MacT. No way he can fail to accept the blame if Eakins bombs.
As soon as Gagner went down, my playoff hopes went with it. I would estimate the W/L record to be right around what I expected it would be through October.

Thing is...were not actually "missing" Gagner. To steal a page from Lars Eller...were playing like a bunch of JR's.

Maybe it takes time for a Coach to learn his group so he can coax some big boy hockey out of them? If so, that's news to me. I assumed a so called NHL team could go through any random assortment of day to day routine(s) under the new coach and still manage to NOT pass the puck to the other team more than they do their own.

Old
10-29-2013, 10:55 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I'm wondering if the idea of building the Oilers as a "puck possession" team a la the Wings or Sharks is a mistake. Those are both veteran teams, where their young players are surrounded and developed with dedicated and talented veteran players, and they can play those types of games because they have the composure.

What I think we're seeing with Eakins this year is that our "homegrown" talent never learned to properly play NHL hockey and now we're trying to play a possession game where the star players may have the skill to play that way, but maybe not the training.

Old
10-29-2013, 11:05 AM
ExOilerFan
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
In hindsight, we should have hired a proven NHL coach instead of rolling the dice on an unproven AHL coach with a completely different system. Just look what Hartley (Stanley Cup winning coach) has done with the Flames. Pretty darn good considering what they have on paper

Old
10-29-2013, 11:31 AM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
In hindsight, we should have hired a proven NHL coach instead of rolling the dice on an unproven AHL coach with a completely different system. Just look what Hartley (Stanley Cup winning coach) has done with the Flames. Pretty darn good considering what they have on paper
in his 2nd year with the team though... Yeah there's some issues with the Oilers but there is progress there and if people are patient with this (which is asking a lot but still) I really do think Eakins will get this bunch playing well.

Old
10-29-2013, 01:26 PM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

Again, comparing Katz to a potential Child Molester doens't make much sense.

Old
10-29-2013, 01:42 PM
KlimasLoveChild

40% roster turn over, key injuries, heavy road schedule, inept goaltending, 13 games in...anyone making definite judgements on Eakins need to give their head a shake.

Old
10-29-2013, 04:13 PM
Heavy Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
40% roster turn over, key injuries, heavy road schedule, inept goaltending, 13 games in...anyone making definite judgements on Eakins need to give their head a shake.
true, but there are some red flags there that make you wonder

Old
10-29-2013, 04:23 PM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

Quote:
For a team that needs some stability coaching, getting rid of Eakins, 13 games into the season, would be a stupid idea from the Arm Chair GMs around here.

Old
10-29-2013, 04:42 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
For a team that needs some stability coaching, getting rid of Eakins, 13 games into the season, would be a stupid idea from the Arm Chair GMs around here.
Yes and no.

Were all arm chair GM's around here but we've also (unfortunately) become EXPERTS on "Worst Possible Scenario's"

And there IS a "Worst Possible Scenario"...where we discover we have hired (yet another) inept moron to work here.

If that's the case...then it really doesn't matter how long Eakins has coached this team or how many coaches have already been buried out back...we will simply have to dig another grave and move on.

I think...we don't really know what we have in Eakins until he has reached his personal threshold for how much LOSING he can handle. At that point, its coming don't kid yourself, Eakins will throw down his version of "the gauntlet" and one of three things is going to happen:

1) There is positive change
2) No change at all
3) It gets worse

Personally...only #1 is good enough to warrant retaining the coach long term.

Old
10-29-2013, 04:45 PM
SWARM

I did like the retaliation for Hopkins being gooned by Clifford The Big Red ******. Eager came out and attempted throwing a knee at Kopitar, then Schultz and Perron each respectively laid him out. Greene, Mitchell, and Reghr were playing dirty all night it was nice to see this team show a spine, not near enough but we lack the tools.

Old
10-29-2013, 04:46 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Eakins and MacT don't have 'a few years' to turn it around. The special teams are total junk and that is one part of a team that coaching can heavily influence. Eakins like the rest of the team and the organization deserve to be abused for the start.

Old
10-29-2013, 04:53 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDreidelz View Post
I did like the retaliation for Hopkins being gooned by Clifford The Big Red ******. Eager came out and attempted throwing a knee at Kopitar, then Schultz and Perron each respectively laid him out. Greene, Mitchell, and Reghr were playing dirty all night it was nice to see this team show a spine, not near enough but we lack the tools.
Overall...this team is actually what I would describe as "somewhat physical".

In fact...a stat was trotted out last week showing EDM as 5th in the NHL for total hits and I can see how that's been happening. We do have a roster which can engage (somewhat) in this key area of the game.

There are some Oilers who seem to think its out of the question for their game to include any variation of physicality and I see that as a problem right meow, however.

Our biggest hole is the constant upchucking of the puck in critical moments where the fellas' NEED to bare down and make a clearing play or an extra effort play. And I tend to believe this is something the Head Coach can take initiative on.

Old
10-29-2013, 05:03 PM
SWARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
Overall...this team is actually what I would describe as "somewhat physical".

In fact...a stat was trotted out last week showing EDM as 5th in the NHL for total hits and I can see how that's been happening. We do have a roster which can engage (somewhat) in this key area of the game.

There are some Oilers who seem to think its out of the question for their game to include any variation of physicality and I see that as a problem right meow, however.

Our biggest hole is the constant upchucking of the puck in critical moments where the fellas' NEED to bare down and make a clearing play or an extra effort play. And I tend to believe this is something the Head Coach can take initiative on.
Im in no way pro Eakins, I just appreciate the extra physicality this year that was absent in years past. Eakins in general annoys me. His "wake up at 5 am and ride my bicycle" mentality didn't translate into success as a player and all it's succeeded in as a coach, is naming a captain with the same generic values. I don't think appointing a Free Agent captain sends a good message and it was Eakins first of many mixed messages. Choosing Perron and Nuge in the shootout also baffled me, Yakupov and Hemsky would of been my choice.

Old
10-29-2013, 05:09 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
I question the RNH choice but Perron made Brodeur look silly in his previous attempt.

Old
10-29-2013, 05:28 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
I question the RNH choice but Perron made Brodeur look silly in his previous attempt.
I have no problem with RNH going in a showdown. He's got more than enough stuff going on to be a worthwhile selection.

Old
10-29-2013, 05:51 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Pretty hard to question the shooters unless you are with the team and see the practices.

Old
10-29-2013, 06:17 PM
McSaviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
I have no problem with RNH going in a showdown. He's got more than enough stuff going on to be a worthwhile selection.
He always shoots wide to the left in shootouts, he does the same thing every time

Old
10-29-2013, 07:25 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Can't believe you guys are bringing shootout choices into this thread.

And they were good choices...

Old
10-29-2013, 07:29 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Eakins reminds me of a cult leader they love to take away the sugar and protein from there followers so they can be easily convinced.

Old
10-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. We had a veteran coach in Quinn, but he was years past his due date. We should have continued targeting experienced veteran coaches, but we've been hiring rookie head coaches this whole rebuild. You'd think that a young team would need the calming presence of a veteran NHL head coach, you'd think that would create some consistency, you'd think that someone with years of experience would have the wisdom to guide this team. But instead we make risky decisions during an absolutely crucial developmental period.

Eakins might be the guy, I'm not ruling that out. I just think that it was pretty stupid to continually hire rookie head coaches, especially for the team that we have. It worked in Pittsburgh with Bylsma, off the top of my head that is the only example I can think of.

Old
10-29-2013, 09:34 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Eakins has to get something out of this team.

I fully support him but this team is actually looking worse than it did under Kreuger, something I didn't think was possible.

We were actually winning last year despite playing with little to no passion. This year we're playing harder but the results aren't coming.

Something's gotta give. We should not be worse than last year under any circumstances.

Old
10-29-2013, 09:38 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Eakins has to get something out of this team.

I fully support him but this team is actually looking worse than it did under Kreuger, something I didn't think was possible.

We were actually winning last year despite playing with little to no passion. This year we're playing harder but the results aren't coming.

Something's gotta give. We should not be worse than last year under any circumstances.
Now way in hell would Krueger have this team off to a 3-9-2 start first of all he would have proper line matches for home games. Eakins is a fraud.

Old
10-29-2013, 09:39 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Now way in hell would Krueger have this team off to a 3-9-2 start first of all he would have proper line matches for home games. Eakins is a fraud.
That would imply that Krueger had a system. I don't believe he did because we got destroyed hard 5-on-5.

Old
10-29-2013, 09:44 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
That would imply that Krueger had a system. I don't believe he did because we got destroyed hard 5-on-5.
And we still are lol were worse for ga 5/5 than last year leaps and bounds and we at least pretended to be in a playoff race. what is better scoring 1 5/5 goal and giving up 2 or scoring 2 /5/5 goals and giving up 4 cause that's Eakins, people are blind. this team is playing at its worst ever period.And please explains Eakins system cause I don't see 1.

Closed Thread