HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

vCash: 500
I like what he's trying to do, I like that he plays the Crap out the best players, but it's frustrating the lack of results.

I'm thinking things will turn around, but it's going to be a tougher season then first thought.

Old
11-04-2013, 08:59 AM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightDuck View Post
Yeah, Hockey is a very simple game. Eakins should implement the trap, get a few wins, get some confidence built. Trap, and dump and chase. Simple.
This. MacT behind the bench for a while Eakins assistant. Get back to what is safe hockey.

Our talented players DO know how to be defensive, just too much going on in their heads to do it all. Simplify for a bit. Make things natural and instinctive. Right now they think about everything they do then it is too slow and the play has changed.

Old
11-04-2013, 09:09 AM
supert

Pretty easy to answer . Look at our record and tell me how he has done . Terrible ! we may be playing worst hockey now then when the rebuild began and that is saying something .
Consider we added Perron and we should have better Defence this year . We show be much better . Mac T provided better players to a small degree , also he took a good PK and PP and turned it into **** so this has to fall on Eakins . We were all over RK as a coach last year, but he had this team playing better then they are now . I guess this does fall on MacT , he should have hired a proven coach .

Old
11-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Playa Hejda

vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
Can anyone explain the rationale of keeping Buchburger and Smith as assistant coaches?
They just happen to know a little something about winning.

Old
11-04-2013, 09:18 AM
OilerFan4Life

The assistants need to go.

Too bad Paul Maurice didn;t take the associate job

Old
11-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Everest

Quote:
Can anyone explain the rationale of keeping Buchburger and Smith as assistant coaches?
I suppose that would be a veiled effort to provide some of the "continuity" some people (rightfully) feel needs to be happening.

If it were up to me...I would be begging Krueger to come back a this point.

Old
11-04-2013, 10:08 AM
missinthejets

The issues are pretty straightforward, this team has never had veterans who were able to shelter the kids, in fact most of the veteran players on this team needed sheltering themselves so the kids get thrown in the fire, and with fire coach after coach there was never any accountability for them to learn how to do anything but try and score. That will change with this group running things I have no doubt, it might just take some big time growing pains. Best to stop worrying about the immediate results and look at the long term picture. If these players can't learn how to win then they'll bring in ones who can.

Old
11-04-2013, 10:10 AM
dem

I'd be moving Eberle to the Rangers or Jets for one of their defensemen..

Old
11-04-2013, 10:15 AM
workedforme

The only thing more frustrating than the Oilers right now are the ads with blaring music that play at the bottom of each page of HF. Real jerk move making each new ad have to be muted again as well. A little more proof HF cares not about the users who populate their site.

Old
11-04-2013, 12:02 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by workedforme View Post
The only thing more frustrating than the Oilers right now are the ads with blaring music that play at the bottom of each page of HF. Real jerk move making each new ad have to be muted again as well. A little more proof HF cares not about the users who populate their site.
This is the site that got me to start using *******. Never cared about ads but the ones that play videos automatically and are generally intrusive like that are just flat out annoying and got to go.

Old
11-04-2013, 12:03 PM
thinlizzy

Quote:
Katz needs someone to hold onto his purse when he is in town.

Old
11-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I like what he's trying to do, I like that he plays the Crap out the best players, but it's frustrating the lack of results.

I'm thinking things will turn around, but it's going to be a tougher season then first thought.
Why would you like this.

His over use of topsix forwards and overplaying them and playing them out of ideal situations has been asinine.

If you ever wonder why RNH and Eberle have never looked worse.

The bolded is not too surprising. It is partly a result of playing forwards hard and putting them away wet.

Old
11-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Hockey Nightmare
Welcome to Edmonton

I'm concerned about the team thinking they have nothing left to play for. I'm sure it can be soul crushing when it's early November and you're already out of the playoffs. It's like being down 6-0 in the first ten minutes of the first period. What's the point of playing the rest of the game?

Old
11-04-2013, 12:51 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
This. MacT behind the bench for a while Eakins assistant. Get back to what is safe hockey.

Our talented players DO know how to be defensive, just too much going on in their heads to do it all. Simplify for a bit. Make things natural and instinctive. Right now they think about everything they do then it is too slow and the play has changed.
our talented players are like when you know / play with great guitarists or drummers who get caught in the trap of being overly technical. they get super individually skilled, etc, etc... and then when it's time to write a "catchy song" (aka play a fundamental game of hockey) they can't do it because theyre tunnel visioned ("can't see the forest for the trees") into the habits of being a technical ******.

between that and some real poor/average role players - you get a horrendous hockey team.

it's like having a virtuoso shredder on guitar trying to solo over the band Complete

Old
11-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Psychoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by workedforme View Post
It's so freaking annoying! What is hf doing?!!!! I swear Kevin Lowe is running this site too....into the ground hahah.

Seriously tho, get rid of that garbage. But Eakins needs to use penalty killers on the penalty kill. This is my one issue

Old
11-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Shanahanigans

I'm beginning to fear more and more that Eakins is a guy who talks a big game but is a subpar pro coach. His success with the Marlies could largely be due to the fact that they had the most veteran+most expensive team in the AHL. They stocked up on AHL stars. And of course you know that whenever a team or player or coach from Toronto has any level of success, hockey media gushes over them like they're the next coming.

Old
11-04-2013, 01:19 PM
ResilientBeast
Fire Eakins

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
I'm beginning to fear more and more that Eakins is a guy who talks a big game but is a subpar pro coach. His success with the Marlies could largely be due to the fact that they had the most veteran+most expensive team in the AHL. They stocked up on AHL stars. And of course you know that whenever a team or player or coach from Toronto has any level of success, hockey media gushes over them like they're the next coming.
This

Old
11-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Why would you like this.

His over use of topsix forwards and overplaying them and playing them out of ideal situations has been asinine.

If you ever wonder why RNH and Eberle have never looked worse.

The bolded is not too surprising. It is partly a result of playing forwards hard and putting them away wet.
I tend to agree with this.

We can point out the fact the Oilers DO have a very tough schedule through October & November. I think we need to get used to it, under the new alignment...but...hopefully this is the worst possible schedule.

So, is it a part of the reason why the team has sucked? Yes.

Did it have to be? Nope.

Stuff like that is a "challenge" and an opportunity to step up...as a team.

And everytime this team faces adversity/challenge?

It cripples them.

Any-hoo...back to fortifying the point Replacement has made regarding TOI....

It would be one thing if Eakins was over-playing our top guys in a reasonable/normal schedule....the fact its happening when were dealing with the TOUGHEST schedule imaginable?! Ya...that's a huge red flag on this Coach's decision making/philosophy.

Old
11-04-2013, 02:34 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
The assistants need to go.

Too bad Paul Maurice didn;t take the associate job
Right, totally forgot about this. Would have helped for sure.

Old
11-04-2013, 02:41 PM
missinthejets

If Eakins threw guys like Gordon out against the other teams best players all the time then people would just be complaining that he wasn't using the talent enough, how do I know this? Cause that's what happened with Tom Renney. It's a no win situation. Neither the veterans or the kids are able to play against the toughs and come out ahead often enough so you either shelter the kids and hope for the best or you give the kids a trial by fire and hope they figure out what it takes to be the stars they are supposed to become.

Old
11-05-2013, 02:56 PM
shizan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
He has been here less than 20 games. Gagner has played under him 2 games. Let's get rid of Dallas ASAP

My Gagner reference was just to point out how many coaches we've had recently. Could have used RNH and the fact that every year here he's had a different coach. What kind of message is it sending to the players. Do we really have to listen to this guy, hes only going to be here for a year or two. In my opinion the only way Mac T can fire Eakins is if he makes himself the coach, and do you really believe that is the answer? I'm in no way a supporter of Eakins but I just don't see how he can be fired. Mac T was too quick on the trigger with Kruger, if he were smart he would have kept him as his scapegoat for the embarrassing product he has put on the ice. If our record was the same with Kruger he could have fired him now and replaced him with "his" guy.

Old
11-05-2013, 03:02 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Hedja View Post
They just happen to know a little something about winning.
made me chuckle

Old
11-05-2013, 04:02 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

What we need is someone who won a cup with the Oilers in the 80's to be our coach. Guaranteed stability.

Old
11-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Playa Hejda

vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuds View Post
What we need is someone who won a cup with the Oilers in the 80's to be our coach. Guaranteed stability.
When MacTavish fires and replaces Eakins behind the bench all will be right.

Old
11-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Mr.Prez
Hai Kids!

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuds View Post
well MacTavish did last 8 years

Remember the "8 years of mediocrity" avatars? Boy do I ever wish the mediocrity...

Closed Thread