HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2014, 11:48 PM
shogun99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
There is a reason this guy was highly coveted around the league. He's a good coach, and unfortunately we are in a rebuild and it takes time to acquire all the correct pieces. Give MacT some more time to improve the squad. He has already improved our team dramatically since becoming the GM and will continue to do so until we are at the top of the standings. Kudos to Lowe for this hire.
We now know Lowe's Hfboards username.

Old
01-16-2014, 11:53 PM
jeety mcjeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
It sucks. I really wanted to see Eakins succeed.

I don't want another coach fired, because that has ruined the stability of this organization. Yet, I think it's time for Eakins to go.
Keeping a bad coach for the wrong reason (stability) is like trying to dig your way out of a hole.

Leaving Eakins as the coach is doing more damage than firing him 50 games into his first year. It's that simple.

Old
01-16-2014, 11:56 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeety mcjeet View Post
Keeping a bad coach for the wrong reason (stability) is like trying to dig your way out of a hole.

Leaving Eakins as the coach is doing more damage than firing him 50 games into his first year. It's that simple.
lol, that is a perfect analogy for this oilers management group

Basically what we've been watching for almost half a decade now.

Old
01-16-2014, 11:58 PM
hallsyoilerforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobga View Post
lol, that is a perfect analogy for this oilers management group

Basically what we've been watching for almost half a decade now.
I'm sure other teams rebuild will be faster than ours. But hey, Katz will make us look forward to the new stadium!

Old
01-16-2014, 11:59 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeety mcjeet View Post

And then the next coach will come along and realize that our players don't care. And we'll fire him. And then the players will get another pass for being lazy ***** who collect paychecks and go home.

Old
01-17-2014, 12:01 AM
hallsyoilerforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
And then the next coach will come along and realize that our players don't care. And we'll fire him. And then the players will get another pass for being lazy ***** who collect paychecks and go home.
I'll be a lot happier if Bucky, Smith, Chabot, and especially Lowe gets canned. But then, I'm sure Messier would be brought in the coaching staff, since he is working for the oilers as an advisor now, I believe? Old boys club continues.

Old
01-17-2014, 12:03 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsyoilerforever View Post
I'll be a lot happier if Bucky, Smith, Chabot, and especially Lowe gets canned. But then, I'm sure Messier would be brought in the coaching staff, since he is working for the oilers as an advisor now, I believe? Old boys club continues.
Probably.

I'm not going to say Eakins is blameless, but the players sure get a lot of passes for doing the same dumb things year after year. Is it really that hard to backcheck?

Old
01-17-2014, 12:05 AM
Shizuka

Quote:
I have to wonder if that's the master plan -- move out one boy on the bus who has thoroughly worn out his welcome with fans, only to bring in another. This organization

Old
01-17-2014, 12:05 AM
hallsyoilerforever

Quote:
Probably.

I'm not going to say Eakins is blameless, but the players sure get a lot of passes for doing the same dumb things year after year. Is it really that hard to backcheck?
Didn't he say the oilers are going to backcheck and compete hard during his press conference? I'm sure its both at fault. Eakins system is beyond garbage, and guys like gags don't backcheck, but still gets spoon fed icetime by Eakins. Good grief.

Old
01-17-2014, 12:15 AM
jeety mcjeet

Quote:
The players don't get a pass in my books. There are many problems with this team but you solve your problems one at a time. Eakins is a problem with an easy solution. Fixing our player problems will take more time because it relies on other teams and windows of time to make changes. I get why people say 'we've tried the fire the coach approach and it hasn't worked' but this has gone beyond reasonable limits. This team lacks basic structure and has no motivation to play hockey games. The majority of players appear to have regressed from last year. I believe this is the worst oilers team I've ever watched. Looking at the roster it shouldn't be (by miles and miles). This coach has been a failure the sooner this is accepted the sooner a solution can be attempted.

Old
01-17-2014, 12:21 AM
jeety mcjeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
I have to wonder if that's the master plan -- move out one boy on the bus who has thoroughly worn out his welcome with fans, only to bring in another. This organization
I'd be ok with messier being an assistant coach. Old boys club or not he would:

- have the respect of the room
- is a leader (not the throw you under the bus leader like Eakins is, but he'd do I guess)

In a support role like that he would be a nice fit I think.

Old
01-17-2014, 12:23 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Didn't he say the oilers are going to backcheck and compete hard during his press conference? I'm sure its both at fault. Eakins system is beyond garbage, and guys like gags don't backcheck, but still gets spoon fed icetime by Eakins. Good grief.
It's just a collective failure. We need to expunge all this Tambo garbage. Send all the #1s away to Siberia or something.

Old
01-17-2014, 12:50 AM
oil4life14

My views on Eakins so far?

The guy is a nob. Has no clue what he is doing. Honestly I don't care how many coaches have been fired here lately but this clown can go. Preferably with Lowe and his clown buddies too.

Old
01-17-2014, 01:32 AM
gokeefe

No point replacing the coach when we have no players worth coaching. I'd keep MacT, Hall, Ebs, RNH and maybe Yak and everyone else from Lowe down can piss off. So dome with these assclowns.

/rant.

Edit: Nothing against the new guys. I feel so bad for Scrivens having to play behind this joke of a team.

Old
01-17-2014, 01:57 AM
Breakawaycup
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
There is a reason this guy was highly coveted around the league. He's a good coach, and unfortunately we are in a rebuild and it takes time to acquire all the correct pieces. Give MacT some more time to improve the squad. He has already improved our team dramatically since becoming the GM and will continue to do so until we are at the top of the standings. Kudos to Lowe for this hire.
This is spot on Duul, little people around here understand that patience is needed, we can't be firing coaches 2 times a season and we can't fire our president mid season when the team is in flux. Lowe hired MacT to do a job and so far people are happy with what MacT has done, so why the anger at Lowe? Like you said it will take time to acquire the right pieces. I think Eakins still deserves a chance to find results with this group.

Old
01-17-2014, 02:02 AM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
At this very moment, there are only 3 non-players I really want to keep in this organization-
1. Craig MacTavish- I think he has a keen eye for talent and he is good at evaluating his on-ice personnel. I'm not sure if we have the right scouts to help him make the right decisions, but I think he has a good grasp on who is not fitting in and what kind of elements we need to bring in.

2. Todd Nelson- Has done very well with what he has been given and is a solid AHL coach.

3. Joey Moss- no explanation required.

I thought about adding Stu MacGregor, I think he is a good scout, but I'm not sure if he is a great head scout.

The person who most needs to go is Steve Smith it seems like our defensemen are getting worse by the day.

Old
01-17-2014, 02:17 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Wait. You think this is the players fault?

Old
01-17-2014, 02:20 AM
Rawg
CEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
At this very moment, there are only 3 non-players I really want to keep in this organization-
1. Craig MacTavish- I think he has a keen eye for talent and he is good at evaluating his on-ice personnel. I'm not sure if we have the right scouts to help him make the right decisions, but I think he has a good grasp on who is not fitting in and what kind of elements we need to bring in.

2. Todd Nelson- Has done very well with what he has been given and is a solid AHL coach.

3. Joey Moss- no explanation required.

I thought about adding Stu MacGregor, I think he is a good scout, but I'm not sure if he is a great head scout.

The person who most needs to go is Steve Smith it seems like our defensemen are getting worse by the day.
Not to be that guy, but id rather we have a competent professional in the place of someone who only got the job because Gretzky was with his sister. Yea I get its a feel good story and all but still.

Old
01-17-2014, 02:44 AM
YAKUGOD
BELIEVE.

**** him

Old
01-17-2014, 02:51 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawg View Post
Not to be that guy, but id rather we have a competent professional in the place of someone who only got the job because Gretzky was with his sister. Yea I get its a feel good story and all but still.
You went there?

Well if we are burning down the entire org with our torches... I guess everyone gets burnt at the stake at once..

I think we are approaching this level of logic...

Old
01-17-2014, 03:06 AM
oilexport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakawaycup View Post
This is spot on Duul, little people around here understand that patience is needed, we can't be firing coaches 2 times a season and we can't fire our president mid season when the team is in flux. Lowe hired MacT to do a job and so far people are happy with what MacT has done, so why the anger at Lowe? Like you said it will take time to acquire the right pieces. I think Eakins still deserves a chance to find results with this group.
No way that this team should have taken a step back this year, no way. Patience has run out sir.

Old
01-17-2014, 03:11 AM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

vCash: 788
Quote:
Yes because Joey doesn't work hard. You should leave for being such an ass.

Old
01-17-2014, 04:25 AM
oilinblood

vCash: 553
Quote:
for a note you should put a sarc smiley if being sarcastic.

Really? Is this what this board has come to? shots at Joey?

Since when do you need a degree to wash clothes, bring water and food, dry equipment, and be friendly?
The guy has 30+ years of experience taking care of the Oilers and Eskimos locker rooms.
Joey isnt a doctor or coaching strategies.

You sir, will be remembered for this.

Last edited by oilinblood: 01-17-2014 at 04:38 AM.
Old
01-17-2014, 06:47 AM
AJGass4

He's terrible and so are his cronies.

I'm as sick of them as I am of losing.

Old
01-17-2014, 08:08 AM
MrM

I know everyone is saying it will be the same thing if we hire another coach but it may not be. We need to hire an NHL head coach who has a winning record or well respected.

As bad as the Oilers have been, disinterested, confused, a good portion of that falls on the coaching staff. We need someone to speak and have a record to back up what their selling. Players can listen to a guy like that or hit the road.

We've been going through coaches in recent years but we haven't had an experienced, well respected NHL veteran coach. Why is that? Is it because they would demand certain amounts of control(like hiring new assistant coaches)? This is half the reason fans want Klowe gone.

Closed Thread