HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2014, 01:17 PM
oilphan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Yeah. He called Yak out for not getting to the bench fast enough and allowing the other team to score the game changing goal.
Where did he say this?

Old
01-17-2014, 01:18 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

The team has 3 regulation wins in their last 20 games.

Ya they have 2 other OT wins in that stretch as well... one over Carolina and somehow winning vs the Penguins in OT as well (one of those headscratchers you chalk up as never likely happening again).

The last 10 games this team has let in 3-5 goals against EVERY single game.

They have been outscored 43-26 over that stretch of the last 10 games.

Eakins and his motley crew are actually getting LESS out of this team as the season rolls along.

It's not getting any better... it's getting worse... players are coming and going... Eakins and his crack staff of analysts and hairdressers are conceivably having time to look at the videos and seeing what needs addressing in terms of their systems and what they need to adjust.

Yet through all that... they are getting worse, not better.

The team was up to it's neck in **** and instead of finding a way to rise up out of it... they seem to have decided to just lay down and embrace it.

Any other organization and this entire coaching staff would have been skidded to the curb by now (of course any other organization would have had the owner turf the entire management group as well).

By any and every measure this team is devolving into a sub-NHL level team and Eakins still has the gall to state in post-game interviews that the team was "playing even" or "looking good... until...".

Ya Dallas... there's always a "looking good... until" in every single game. Truth is they haven't looked good in ages. They just manage to squeak out a win here and there simply just because teams have to win "sometimes".

A better statement from Eakins after a rare win would be..."Ya we played like **** like usual but still managed to win somehow, despite my crappy coaching and our crappy defensive play and lacklustre effort and overall mediocre level of give a ****."

"Beats the **** out of me how we still managed to win but there it is. Now watch as we roll out 6 losses in a row to get back to our regular putrid level of performances."

Dallas... stop sugar flavouring the ****shake you've helped blend up this season. Just drink it down... e-coli and all.

Old
01-17-2014, 01:19 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Yeah. He called Yak out for not getting to the bench fast enough and allowing the other team to score the game changing goal.
i just watched the raw post game presser and eakins didn't mention yakupov once... where are you getting this from?

Old
01-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
I was under the impression that the Assistants were picked by Eakins?
Your impressions are correct, although MacTavish - who is Eakins' direct superior - did publicly express his desire to see Buchberger and Smith retained. (So this muddies the waters a bit.)

Quote:
"I'm going to sit down and get to know the guys," Eakins said on Monday. "We will be looking to add to the staff if that works. I have to assess what's going on here. It's one of those things where you come into an organization and I don't know if the video guy is the best guy in the league, or he's sub par.

"Kelly and Steve (Smith) might be two of the best assistants in the NHL. I don't know. I have to get to know them and see how that's going to go." ...

... When asked about the assistants following the announcement of Ralph Krueger's firing Saturday, Oilers general manager Craig MacTavish said Eakins would be in charge of selecting his own assistants. MacTavish also added, he hoped the Oilers newest head coach would decide to keep Buchberger and Smith on board.
http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.c...-as-head-coach

That Peterborough Examiner article is a good read if you want to look back and review what Eakins was saying at the time of his hire - particularly on accountability - and how hard the team was going to work.

It all turned out to be bull****.

Last edited by Red Deer Rebel: 01-17-2014 at 01:26 PM. Reason: grammar
Old
01-17-2014, 01:27 PM
SephF
Visually Better

I don't give a **** about continuity in the coaching staff, get rid of this guy.

Old
01-17-2014, 01:41 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
When was this? Is there video/audio of it somewhere? I watched the pg presser from the team website and it wasnt mentioned there.

Old
01-17-2014, 01:52 PM
KarmaPolice
No Hope...

vCash: 202
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
When was this? Is there video/audio of it somewhere? I watched the pg presser from the team website and it wasnt mentioned there.
I think it was when he returned to the bench. I didn't see it (I didn't watch the game), but I remember someone else said it.

Old
01-17-2014, 02:01 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Eakins:

Quote:
On the third one, bad turnover… [later] Even at 2-1 I was still comfortable, and then that third one gets turned over and it’s an odd man rush the other way and now it’s big trouble.
The turnover, of course, being the hit that put Yak out. Selfish, soft Russians, always getting knocked out and coughing up the puck.

At some point, Eakins's treatment of Yak could have been defended as tough love. I think that point is a dot in the distance and we're left with the fact that the coach doesn't like this kid for some reason.

Old
01-17-2014, 02:05 PM
bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Eakins:

The turnover, of course, being the hit that put Yak out. Selfish, soft Russians, always getting knocked out and coughing up the puck.

At some point, Eakins's treatment of Yak could have been defended as tough love. I think that point is a dot in the distance and we're left with the fact that the coach doesn't like this kid for some reason.
If that's the comment everyone's referring to, that's a little overblown. That's not him calling out a player for taking too long to change on an injury it's him stating that a turnover cost them again.

Old
01-17-2014, 02:07 PM
SephF
Visually Better

Oilers coach Dallas Eakins has Martin Marincin’s back. Nail Yakupov’s? Not so much

Old
01-17-2014, 02:14 PM
GMofOilers

Who cares about about the Yak drama.

This is about Eakins not playing this team to its strengths but to stubbornly try and force a system down their throat they appear not to be able to play. He has to be able to adjust. Ever player has regressed this season. Why? You think they forgot how to play hockey over the summer?

Old
01-17-2014, 02:16 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone View Post
If that's the comment everyone's referring to, that's a little overblown. That's not him calling out a player for taking too long to change on an injury it's him stating that a turnover cost them again.
The issue for me is equating losing the puck after getting creamed with a regular dumb giveaway. No concern expressed for the well-being of the kid who got taken out. No mention of the fact that it was a pretty routine 3 on 2 at that point (made possible only because thecaptainandrewference decided to jump into the play).

maybe we're reading things into it, but given how Eakins has dealt with Yak to date, I think it's not unjustified.

Old
01-17-2014, 02:19 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Excellent article. Thanks for posting it.

They should give Bruce McCurdy whatever credentials he needs to attend these scrums.

I'd much rather have him firing questions at Eakins than listen to Terry Jones mumbling and bumblling along.

"Could you repeat that?"

Old
01-17-2014, 02:24 PM
bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
The issue for me is equating losing the puck after getting creamed with a regular dumb giveaway. No concern expressed for the well-being of the kid who got taken out. No mention of the fact that it was a pretty routine 3 on 2 at that point (made possible only because thecaptainandrewference decided to jump into the play).

maybe we're reading things into it, but given how Eakins has dealt with Yak to date, I think it's not unjustified.
That's fair enough. Especially remembering the blame for selling out on the Stamkos head hunt that turned into a goal earlier this year. It does seem like there is an agenda here.

Old
01-17-2014, 02:25 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 800
Can't remember ever disliking an Oilers coach as much as I dislike this guy. He seems to actually go out of his way to be hated. Just brutal.

The Oilers had to many opportunities to recover from that turnover and made mistake after mistake leading up to the goal. Maybe we should just go back further and blame that goal on Yak's parents having fun one night 20 or so years ago.

Old
01-17-2014, 02:29 PM
Digger12

To me, this is shaping up as an overwhelmed rookie coach desperately trying to find a scapegoat where he can redirect the blame, someone he go to his GM and say "See, I told you this kid was a punk...get him out of here, and I'm sure we can turn this around!"

I think we're only weeks away from a Yakupov trade followed by a MacT "he's a player that needs a second opinion" soundbite.

Old
01-17-2014, 02:31 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

I wish we had let Eakins pick his own assistant coaches. It's kind of ridiculous that we bring in a guy who presumably was going make substantial changes to the way the team plays, but is forced to keep the same guys who have been here for years.

Old
01-17-2014, 02:36 PM
waffen

Old
01-17-2014, 02:41 PM
shogun99

Only coach that has irritated me more then Eakins is Claude Noel. Both are such unlikeable guys.

Old
01-17-2014, 02:42 PM
GMofOilers

WOw Button giving it to Eakins on Oilersnow right now. Awesome I love it. Says he hasnt changed a thing all year!!!

Old
01-17-2014, 02:43 PM
armandh01

Button is becoming my favorite guest. I wonder how long before they no longer pick him up lol.

Old
01-17-2014, 02:44 PM
Red Deer Rebel

2nd week in a row that Button has ripped Eakins. Lovin' it.

Old
01-17-2014, 02:49 PM
hallsyoilerforever

Good read. Goes to show his "accountability" with players. I get the tough love on Yak, but he made Yak look like the only person that was wrong. Eakins is an ass.

Old
01-17-2014, 02:54 PM
oStealthKiller

anyone care to give a summary of what button said?

Old
01-17-2014, 02:54 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
everyone make sure to tweet the radio station saying how much they loved having button on and how everyone at work was glued to the radio

Closed Thread