HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2014, 01:56 PM
Asuno
McAsuno

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
everyone make sure to tweet the radio station saying how much they loved having button on and how everyone at work was glued to the radio
This. I love how he ripped Eakins. Not a huge fan of Button, but he made so much sense. Good on his rant.

Old
01-17-2014, 02:00 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 800
You know you suck when Craig Button can make complete sense and be 100% accurate when he's bashing you. No coach would be better than Eakins as coach.

Old
01-17-2014, 02:04 PM
Soundwave

Is there a link to the audio of what Button said?

Old
01-17-2014, 02:05 PM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Wonder what the almighty Button said before the season.

Sure can another coach and see how well keeping everything else the same goes. Why don't you target the guys who hired Eakins you putz.

Old
01-17-2014, 02:06 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post

Sure can another coach and see how well keeping everything else the same goes. Why don't you target the guys who hired Eakins you putz.

Old
01-17-2014, 02:18 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post

It complicates things so badly when you have what appear to be untouchables in management positions. For sure, it's a joke that firing Eakins would give Lowe/MacT yet another pass and they probably go hire another rookie with no clue.

Unfortunately, we're starting to hit a point of no return with how Eakins is handling Yak. So if this dufus is not canned soon, we will squander the potential of one of our #1 picks and have to go see him be great on another team. Even worse, Eakins will probably take credit if Yak does well somewhere else

Old
01-17-2014, 02:35 PM
AntsoftheSky

What did Button say? I must have missed the interview

Old
01-17-2014, 02:41 PM
ejams
5-14-6-1

Can we please clean house?

Pleaseeeee?

Old
01-17-2014, 02:47 PM
MrM

vCash: 894
someone call in and point blank ask why Eakins should remain as coach. Aside from the usual deflecting points of 'he's MacT's guy, he's not going anywhere'. Humour me. We know that he's probably here till atleast the start of next year, but what has he done that has been positive with this team?

Old
01-17-2014, 02:47 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobga View Post
Can't remember ever disliking an Oilers coach as much as I dislike this guy. He seems to actually go out of his way to be hated. Just brutal.

The Oilers had to many opportunities to recover from that turnover and made mistake after mistake leading up to the goal. Maybe we should just go back further and blame that goal on Yak's parents having fun one night 20 or so years ago.
Burnett was pretty close but he had a crap team anyway and a nutcase captain in Corson. But IIRC, he didn't survive the whole season.

MacT was bad at the end of tenure simply because he tried fitting square pegs into round holes...fittingly that his first hiree does the same thing

Old
01-17-2014, 02:54 PM
bestmyfeeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntsoftheSky View Post
What did Button say? I must have missed the interview
missed it too! anybody have coles notes version of it?

Old
01-17-2014, 02:57 PM
The Big Unit

I've been on the "keep Eakins for coaching stability" side all year but enough is enough. We can blame Eakins all we want but ultimately this is a guy who stated himself that the situation is worse than he thought when he accepted the job. Simply put Eakins is in over his head and it shows. This mistake is squarely on MacT. He shouldn't have hired a second rookie coach in a row. It's time we can a coach who can't adjust his system to the NHL and hire a guy who has a track record of winning. I really don't want to have a 6th coach this quickly but geez, it's clear Eakins can't spark these guys nor can he get them to play on the same page.

Old
01-17-2014, 03:04 PM
Da McBomb

I think its MacT's job at season's end to really re-evaluate his decision to hire Eakins. He needs to sit down with all the players, get their candid views on what they think of Eakins and then decide from there. Another coaching change is one of the last things I wanted as well, but if the players don't like Eakins and have given up with his message, then MacT has to go back on his decision and get someone else in here for next year.

Old
01-17-2014, 03:08 PM
MrM

Anybody old like me and follow the Sens in the 90's? They had Rick Bowness as head coach and they were brutal. Fired him and midseason replaced him with Dave Allison, still brutal and fired him and midseason replaced him with Jacques Martin who apparently knew what he was doing(atleast in the regular season) and they improved. He was their coach for the next 8 years.

Its not how many coaches we fire, its getting the right one. Anyone still believe that Eakins is that guy? Just MacT? That's what I thought.

Edit. I know he's not the most liked guy because of his playoff failure but he has some clout. Associate Coach for the Canadian Olympic team. He's Assistant Coach in Pittsburgh this year. We get the 3 Stooges, they get Jack Adams coach and Gold Medal winning associate coach as an assistant.

Last edited by MrM: 01-17-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old
01-17-2014, 03:19 PM
Beerfish

Last 8 games

Perron -6
Yakupov -6
Hall -9
Eberle -8
RNH -8
Gagner -4
Hemsky Even

Old
01-17-2014, 03:24 PM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Hemsky is the only one of those who is actually trying. No surprise he's even.

Old
01-17-2014, 03:25 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM View Post
Anybody old like me and follow the Sens in the 90's? They had Rick Bowness as head coach and they were brutal. Fired him and midseason replaced him with Dave Allison, still brutal and fired him and midseason replaced him with Jacques Martin who apparently knew what he was doing(atleast in the regular season) and they improved. He was their coach for the next 8 years.

Its not how many coaches we fire, its getting the right one. Anyone still believe that Eakins is that guy? Just MacT? That's what I thought.
From 2007-2011 the Senators had 5 coaches.

John Paddock
Bryan Murray (interim)
Craig Hartsburg
Cory Clouston
Paul MacLean

They found the right guy and improved!

Old
01-17-2014, 03:29 PM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Having Craig Anderson instead of Brian Elliott probably helped too.

Old
01-17-2014, 03:29 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM View Post
Edit. I know he's not the most liked guy because of his playoff failure but he has some clout. Associate Coach for the Canadian Olympic team. He's Assistant Coach in Pittsburgh this year. We get the 3 Stooges, they get Jack Adams coach and Gold Medal winning associate coach as an assistant.
Although I think Jacques Martin is a great coach, I'm a Laviolette fanboy. He's had success everywhere he's gone and imo is the best coach out there without a job.

Old
01-17-2014, 03:32 PM
Da McBomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Last 8 games

Perron -6
Yakupov -6
Hall -9
Eberle -8
RNH -8
Gagner -4
Hemsky Even
The Gagner Triangle? (This season's version of the Belanger Triangle)

Old
01-17-2014, 03:50 PM
MrM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
Although I think Jacques Martin is a great coach, I'm a Laviolette fanboy. He's had success everywhere he's gone and imo is the best coach out there without a job.
Success at the NHL level is what i'm looking for so Laviolette would also be a guy I would look at.

Question is would MacT or Klowe? MacT was Wow'ed by his interview with Eakins so much so that he gave him a fat contract. Problem is they gravitate to the same guys because that is what they know and that is what they like. Other hockey guys know some stuff too, some more than MacT or Klowe but they'd never admit to it. Need a new vision, a new perspective on exactly what we have here.

How many times do you bring your car in to get repaired at the same shop before bringing it elsewhere and finding out you've been getting hosed by the scam artist?

Old
01-17-2014, 03:52 PM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 50
I have a feeling we'll see Eakins here next year on the premise of 'stability'. The sad reality is, that might be the only fact that is saving his job.

The guy inherited a better team than his predecessor and has performed worse in every way possible. It's going to be really unfortunate that circumstance will keep probably the worst head coach from the rebuild-era in the organization.

I get that pulling an Oakland Raiders in terms of head coaching stability is not the way to go, but this year has been abysmal. The team looks lost, and even with the 'it might take them 30 games to get used to his system', this team is terrible. Yes our personnel is lacking, but we should be higher than 20th in 5v5 GF given our offensive talent.

He'll be here next season due to stability, but I really don't have much faith in him as a head coach. Already far less than I did with previous ones. When guys like Hall are stating things like "It's getting a little too late for moral victories" after losses, I question how much patience is left with some of our players too.

This organization has a ton of work ahead of them.

01-17-2014, 03:56 PM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
I personally think Laviolette could do really well with this team. He favors an offensive system which I think some of our guys would thrive in. He likes physical play. He's taken two different teams deep into the playoffs, winning a cup with one. From everything I've seen, his management is quite good(though this far from concrete). I think he was a partial scapegoat in Philly (though the interim is doing really well).

His situation reminds me of when Joel Q was fired from the Avs and the Hawks hired him. IIRC, people were saying a fair number which made him a poor coach. Sometimes it's a matter of fit.

Old
01-17-2014, 03:59 PM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Laviolette likes physical play?

The triforce of suck says next coach please

Old
01-17-2014, 04:02 PM
frag2

Anyone know if the Button segment is available online?

Closed Thread