HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Everyone's coming to the Leafs (lol): Niedermayer, O'Neill

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2005, 10:11 AM
Kill 'Em All

vCash: 500
Everyone's coming to the Leafs (lol): Niedermayer, O'Neill

from FAN590 ( http://www.ofeliamateescu.com/alin/leafs.mp3 )

about niedermayer: (from a howard berger interview)
- if NJ offers him a good deal (that makes him feel wanted), he'd re-sign
- he's more than willing to move his family for a good deal
- TO is a very appealing option; he'd love to play in TO, in front of a "full building"
- he's let go of the domi incident; would play with him

about o'neill:
- carolina may not qualify him
- would want to return to southern ontario (leafs)

imo, scott's looking for one hel| of a deal-- maybe the 20% --and i just can't see the leafs being able to accomodate him (damn cap!). as for him playing in TO, who knows, maybe he was just being nice to the TO reporter, and leaf fans; or maybe he was being truthful. it's still interesting to note that he would leave NJ.

however, it's still nice to know that a player of his caliber would go on record as saying he'd want to sign here in TO.

as for o'neill, if the canes do not qualify him (which i'm not sure why they wouldn't)... how would you guys feel about him on the leafs?

Old
07-15-2005, 10:15 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
imo, scott's looking for one hel| of a deal-- maybe the 20% --and i just can't see the leafs being able to accomodate him (damn cap!).
If Niedermeyer wants to come here, hypothetically speaking, you get rid of McCabe or do whatever it takes to make room.

Old
07-15-2005, 10:17 AM
It Kills Me

Man, this is gonna be a great summer.

Old
07-15-2005, 10:22 AM
Twist and Shout

O'Neill.. hmm mmmm

Old
07-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Kill 'Em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
If Niedermeyer wants to come here, hypothetically speaking, you get rid of McCabe or do whatever it takes to make room.
that could work.

Old
07-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Hey one better ..

If TO is willing to give Niedermayer ,Sundin like money why not offer McCabe to NJ for the rights to Niedermayer or the ability to negotiate a new deal now in principle, during the transition week after the CBA is official, and before UFA season opens Aug 1st ..

Keeping in mind that the new CBA that caps a player, means that a UFA does not need to test the market .. A 6.5 -7.0 mil offer from say TO is going to be nearly top money Neids could get ($7.8 max I guess).. If he like Toronto as a city and team then its possible ..

NJ risks losing Stevens , Rafalski, and Niedermayer via UFA .. who is going to play D in NJ next year .. McCabe at 1/2 the Neidermayer price may be appealing and provide NJ some real offense .. NJ may soon get nothing for Niedermayer so now Lou Lam gets an offensive Dman and player under contract ..

Niedermayer is the perfect player in a more offensive, free skating NHL and perfect fit for Quinn coached team ...

Old
07-15-2005, 10:32 AM
It Kills Me

But will the CBA have a NBA like trade rule where salaries have to be in 10% range.

Old
07-15-2005, 10:36 AM

This isn't meant as a joke I swear...but it seems as though I read about a new player coming to Toronto everyday, Jason Allison, Eric Lindros, Scott Niedermayer, Jeff O'Neill, Paul Kariya, there's more I can't think of right now

I think that you have a good chance of getting Lindros or Allison, but that's pretty much it, the new system that's in place is there to circumvent exactly what you all are hoping the Leafs to do...The Leafs have so much players of their own to deal with 1st, it's going to be hard enough to deal with those 1st...

Either way, just wanted to give my opinion, don't mean to hijack your thread fellas...

Old
07-15-2005, 10:40 AM
Kill 'Em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
This isn't meant as a joke I swear...but it seems as though I read about a new player coming to Toronto everyday, Jason Allison, Eric Lindros, Scott Niedermayer, Jeff O'Neill, Paul Kariya, there's more I can't think of right now
it's the media coming up with this stuff. what do you want from us?

Old
07-15-2005, 10:40 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Hey one better ..

If TO is willing to give Niedermayer ,Sundin like money why not offer McCabe to NJ for the rights to Niedermayer or the ability to negotiate a new deal now in principle, during the transition week after the CBA is official, and before UFA season opens Aug 1st ..

Keeping in mind that the new CBA that caps a player, means that a UFA does not need to test the market .. A 6.5 -7.0 mil offer from say TO is going to be nearly top money Neids could get ($7.8 max I guess).. If he like Toronto as a city and team then its possible ..

NJ risks losing Stevens , Rafalski, and Niedermayer via UFA .. who is going to play D in NJ next year .. McCabe at 1/2 the Neidermayer price may be appealing and provide NJ some real offense .. NJ may soon get nothing for Niedermayer so now Lou Lam gets an offensive Dman and player under contract ..

Niedermayer is the perfect player in a more offensive, free skating NHL and perfect fit for Quinn coached team ...
Trading McCabe for the rights to negotiate with a potential UFA for a week does not appeal to me at all.

All things considered I'm not that interested in Niedermayer, even though he's a great defenceman.

But Niedermayer could potentially make $2-$3 million more than McCabe. I'd much rather keep McCabe and use the difference to shore up the rest of our defence corps.

Also while I'm sure Niedermayer would like to come to Toronto (most players would), Toronto's not his first choice. If the money was close I'm sure he'd sign in New Jersey or Vancouver before Toronto.

Old
07-15-2005, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Hey one better ..

Sorry, hope you don't mind...

But the chances of what you just wrote happening are slim to none...

1st of all, Lou Lamoriello isin't just going to let Niedermayer walk away, and doing a 'sign and trade' type of deal for McCabe isin't going to work, especially for Bryan McCabe...If New Jersey wants to get rid of Niedermayer, there's a handful of other defensman they would consider before getting to McCabe...just my opinion though

Old
07-15-2005, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kill 'Em All
it's the media coming up with this stuff. what do you want from us?
I realize that, me and my friend were actually joking about that today, TSN, Sportsnet is going to spew alot of garbage about every 'star' player under the sun coming to Toronto, but in reality it's just not the case, the new cap system allows every single NHL team an equal opportunity to hire 'star' players....

IMO...a team like the Bruins can dream about getting all these quality UFA's and they can afford more than one, but a team like the Leafs has so many other issues to deal with before thinking about acquiring a guy like Niedermayer...

Also, again just my opinion, but I would be wary of offering too much money for players like Allison and Lindros, they're attractive, but extremely risky, and that's just something you guys can't afford right now, I hope JFJ is really a great capologist, cause it's going to be extremely difficult and tricky this offseason for you guys, i'm sure you guys will be fine though

Old
07-15-2005, 10:51 AM
It Kills Me

Quote:
IMO...a team like the Bruins can dream about getting all these quality UFA's and they can afford more than one, but a team like the Leafs has so many other issues to deal with before thinking about acquiring a guy like Niedermayer...
I'm pretty sure most players won't want to play for the Bruins after they claim to be poor.

If they really are I don't expect them to max the cap otherwise aren't they being hipocrates?

Old
07-15-2005, 10:58 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Sorry, hope you don't mind...

But the chances of what you just wrote happening are slim to none...

1st of all, Lou Lamoriello isin't just going to let Niedermayer walk away, and doing a 'sign and trade' type of deal for McCabe isin't going to work, especially for Bryan McCabe...If New Jersey wants to get rid of Niedermayer, there's a handful of other defensman they would consider before getting to McCabe...just my opinion though
However that is not fact though.

That is your opinion and probably affected by bias as well .. If you remove the spite and look at McCabe offensive output verses Niedermayer your answer may be different .. Niedermayer won the Norris and McCabe was a 2nd team All-star ..

McCabe - 55 points
http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisp...pid%5B%5D=6205

Niedermayer - 54 points
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php3?pid=3965

If you are being objective and consider NJ needing to replace the offense lost via Niedermayer .. then there are not many Dmen ** available ** that might do that ..

Take money into account as well .. McCabe is signed for 3.5 mil .. You can't say I would take Pronger for example because if NJ is willing to spend 7 mil then they might as well just give it to Niedermayer ..

Old
07-15-2005, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles.TML
I'm pretty sure most players won't want to play for the Bruins after they claim to be poor.

If they really are I don't expect them to max the cap otherwise aren't they being hipocrates?
How so?

Please tell me why it wouldn't be attractive to a guy like say....Jeff O'Neill to go play with one of the world's greatest players in Joe Thornton....

As opposed to playing with an aging Mats Sundin?

Old
07-15-2005, 11:02 AM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

The reason why the leafs wont win a cup is because we arent willing to REBUILD!

Im not trying to troll or anything because im a bit of a leaf fan, but in order to get good we seriously need to start playing younger players instead of signing 30+ year olds.

Old
07-15-2005, 11:04 AM
It Kills Me

Quote:
How so?

Please tell me why it wouldn't be attractive to a guy like say....Jeff O'Neill to go play with one of the world's greatest players in Joe Thornton....

As opposed to playing with an aging Mats Sundin?
Think about it. Say you yourself were a wanted FA. Would you rather play on a team that cried poor, making them one of the reason s for the lockout or would you sign onto another team for that same money. (not the Leafs, the Habs, or anyone who wanted you)

I wouldn't (if I was wanted), other players that only got offers from Boston will sign.

I dunno, it's just my gut feeling.

Old
07-15-2005, 11:05 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Trading McCabe for the rights to negotiate with a potential UFA for a week does not appeal to me at all.

All things considered I'm not that interested in Niedermayer, even though he's a great defenceman.

But Niedermayer could potentially make $2-$3 million more than McCabe. I'd much rather keep McCabe and use the difference to shore up the rest of our defence corps.

Also while I'm sure Niedermayer would like to come to Toronto (most players would), Toronto's not his first choice. If the money was close I'm sure he'd sign in New Jersey or Vancouver before Toronto.
Sorry I wasn't clear .. Not only the right to negotiate but the trade is subject to Niedermayer agreeing to a new Contract with TO .. The reason I stated it so weird perhaps was that technically Niedermayer can't be ** OFFICIALLY ** until August.

You second is undisputable as no doubt would you be adding 3+ mil in the exchange and against the cap .. That is the balance and strategy a GM must face in the new NHL as to build and top heavy and fill the bottom with AHL quality or balance it out more by adding a 3 mil player for the money for the good of the overall team

Last edited by Mess: 07-15-2005 at 11:31 AM.
Old
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by La-La-Laprise
The reason why the leafs wont win a cup is because we arent willing to REBUILD!

Im not trying to troll or anything because im a bit of a leaf fan, but in order to get good we seriously need to start playing younger players instead of signing 30+ year olds.
Why rebuild. We can now start signing 25+ year olds.

Old

Quote:
However that is not fact though.

That is your opinion and probably affected by bias as well .. If you remove the spite and look at McCabe offensive output verses Niedermayer your answer may be different .. Niedermayer won the Norris and McCabe was a 2nd team All-star ..

McCabe - 55 points
http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisp...pid%5B%5D=6205

Niedermayer - 54 points
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php3?pid=3965

If you are being objective and consider NJ needing to replace the offense lost via Niedermayer .. then there are not many Dmen ** available ** that might do that ..

Take money into account as well .. McCabe is signed for 3.5 mil .. You can't say I would take Pronger for example because if NJ is willing to spend 7 mil then they might as well just give it to Niedermayer ..
No not at all, there was no bias or spite in my post, I have no problems with the Leafs (unless you guys end up with the 1st pick, I might consider never watching hockey again)...

I never said McCabe was a bad player, but putting him in the same breath as a Niedermayer is being a little bias don't you think?

Think about it for a minute, why the hell would Lou deal his #1 d-man to the Leafs, who play in the same conference, for Bryan McCabe, why would lou instantly make the Leafs (who are in a mild rivalry with the Devils) contenders? if the Leafs are offering McCabe for Niedermayer, don't you think the Canucks would turn around and say, we'll give you Jovanoski or Ohlund for example?

I'm not saying a McCabe for Niedermayer trade is impossible, it could happen, but, let's be real...

Old
07-15-2005, 11:08 AM
bcrt2000

if leafs could fit in leetch and niedermeyer under the cap somehow.. that would just be... wow

Old
07-15-2005, 11:11 AM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Why rebuild. We can now start signing 25+ year olds.
Yes, and if you combine those with your own under 27 impact players you will have a really good situation. There isnt enough cap room to load up on FA's like in the past. Youre going to need to have your own players that youve developed who are still relativly cheap.

Old
07-15-2005, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Think about it. Say you yourself were a wanted FA. Would you rather play on a team that cried poor, making them one of the reason s for the lockout or would you sign onto another team for that same money. (not the Leafs, the Habs, or anyone who wanted you)

I wouldn't (if I was wanted), other players that only got offers from Boston will sign.

I dunno, it's just my gut feeling.
Who cares if Boston cried poor, there's a cap now, and the reality is a team can't spend more than 39 million and can't spend less than 21 million (I think)

The Bruins have the money to offer, the Leafs have to do alot of maneuvering to offer some serious dough to a UFA...

Old
07-15-2005, 11:12 AM
canes-sth

Quote:
Wouldn't how much said teams actually *offered* O'Neill factor in somewhere? The Star article suggested O'Neill at 1.5 with the Leafs. That's a significant paycut. And you have to wonder how O would feel about the possibility of playing for Maurice if he's the heir apparent.

Old
07-15-2005, 11:13 AM
Mauri11*

Rebuilding is not a fun thing to watch... ask any fan from the 80s and they'll tell you the same thing.

It's much more fun watching them compete year after year.

Closed Thread