HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has the pressure of wearing the 'C' hurt Giroux?

Old
10-14-2013, 08:04 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Almost certainly. His miserable season last year coupled with a pitiful start to this season is all but the last nail in the coffin of Claude Giroux. He will likely never recover from this slow start, and may never score another goal again. Thanks a lot, Lavy, for naming him Captain.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 08:23 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Almost certainly. His miserable season last year coupled with a pitiful start to this season is all but the last nail in the coffin of Claude Giroux. He will likely never recover from this slow start, and may never score another goal again. Thanks a lot, Lavy, for naming him Captain.
Agreed. He's barely KHL quality at this point. We should see if Gardiner could be had for him.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 12:57 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Agreed. He's barely KHL quality at this point. We should see if Gardiner could be had for him.
Acutally, I'd raise the price on the Leafs end and ask for a bad-decent prospect to be thrown in.

Giroux
2nd rd pick

for

Gardiner
bad-decent prospect.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 12:58 PM
Mike Richards 18

I think Roo isn't completely healthy to be honest.

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:14 PM
Legion of Goon
.....Flyer Alarm

vCash: 0
Maybe Giroux needs to play Sid and the Pens to get him on track

Legion of Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 07:36 PM
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16

vCash: 400
I think Giroux has still looked decent (obviously he hasn't sniped a goal yet which is disheartening). He's making good passes to teammates but they (Hartnell) have not been even making contact with the puck.

He also needs to play with Voracek full time and it's a crime that they haven't been playing together all season

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 10:15 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Giroux not the same after Laviolette's label

This is a reach but what is valid is that since he has received much more focus from teams and checked tighter he has lost his luster..

This is where Barkley's words in an interview I saw with him apply to G's situation. Barkley noted about himself and his rise to superstar status that once he became the focus of other teams he had to evolve his game even further. He said he had to take the next step and think the game even further and not just rely on his talents and athleticism. Rising stars who do not do this will not become the superstars/elite players they are expected to become.

In G's case no doubt Jagr opened the ice for him and now he doesn't have somebody to complement him like that. However, he really needs to adjust his game and be the main catalyst and take that next step. He is struggling so far to do that, at least on his own, but superstars are supposed to do so...

Still time to redeem himself but eventually may need to support him properly if he can't take that next step on his own, otherwise we'll create another Carter and Richards type situation with G.

Quote:
Claude Giroux hasn’t been the same, and why do you think that is?

The money? No. Giroux is still playing out the final year of a three-year, $11.25-million deal. His eight-year, $66.2-million extension doesn’t kick in until next season.

The captaincy? No. Giroux has taken the honor very seriously, and has embraced his role as the face of a franchise.

It’s “The Label.” Don’t remember?

Immediately after the Flyers disposed of their cross-state rival Penguins in six games in the first round of the 2012 playoffs, Giroux went from rising superstar to the king of the NHL mountain. His former coach, Peter Laviolette, rolled out one of those medieval catapults at his postgame press conference, and launched Giroux into a hockey stratosphere that has included The Great One and a select few who have been compared to Wayne Gretzky ever since.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...iolettes-label

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
That's why we really, really need our best winger with G. He's our best playmaker, but he's not a powerhouse goalscorer. He needs someone to work with, and someone who won't have to lean heavily on him. I think Jake should be that guy.

10-15-2013, 01:00 PM
MP92

When Lavi called him the best player in the world, I don't think he actually meant it or believed it. I think it was said just to simply rub salt in the wounds of Crosby and the Pens. I mean think about it, not only did the Flyers beat the SC favorites, but Giroux also outplayed the true best player in the world by a large margin.

I don't think any objective fan ever felt G was the best player in the world but I do feel some of us have had too high of expectations for him. Like, if he ever hits 100 points in a season, it'll probably only be one or two times and he'll have to be next to a true sniper (aka not Hartnell). Im talking a player like a Bobby Ryan or Phil Kessel. For the most part I feel he is a mid 80's point scorer. I think those are the types of seasons he will produce more than anything else. But like I said, get him some skilled players and not grinders and he can do more.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 03:39 PM
flyerfanish

I don't think the C has anything to do with it. Because no matter who wears the C, this would still be Girouxs' team. And he would still be the best player on the team, especially offensively.

And lets not act like Giroux wouldn't have known that everyone expects him to score, even if he didnt have no C on his shirt.

flyerfanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 04:54 PM
kicksave27

He's just got the case of "trying to make the pretty play every time" like the rest of the team.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 05:34 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richards 18 View Post
I think Roo isn't completely healthy to be honest.
I agree with this ! A players greatest offensive tool is his hands, and Roo has suffered Wrist and hand injuries over the last few years.........I will add that Lavi's comment about Roo being the " best player in the world " certainly may have added a little pressure to Roo as well ? I think Lavi got a little caught up in the moment when he made that statement on National TV which can happen to anyone i suppose considering the game and situation at the time ?

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 03:14 AM
dats81

Giroux is taking faceoffs and playing all situations. I guess the "he might be hurt" excuse is off the table.

Right now he can't lead because he like half of the team is scared of making mistakes instead of being confident in their own abilities.

Once they stop thinking about the rankings, playoff seedings and media coverage they will start winning again. They same happened last year but unfortunately it happened at the point they were already giving up on the season...
Right now this team is all floaters and no leaders. Some youngsters who have nothing to lose like McGinn or Gus are the only bright spots.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 06:53 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

He's still trying too hard.

He spends more time in the offensive zone with his stick in the air calling for the one timer than he does forechecking and actually possessing the puck.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 08:07 AM
Cuiff

G is an embarrassment……$8 mill a year for his lazy butt….Homer must be fired!!!

Cuiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 08:11 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli View Post
G is an embarrassment……$8 mill a year for his lazy butt….Homer must be fired!!!
*sigh*

It starts.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 08:13 AM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
*sigh*

It starts.
Yes it does...did you watch the game? He looked lazy out there...gave half effort.....$8 mill for 3 assist... Best player in the world...hahahahahaha! It’s totally embarrassing

Old
10-18-2013, 08:16 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Yes it does...did you watch the game? He looked lazy out there...gave half effort.....$8 mill for 3 assist...hahahahahahahahaha! Best player in the world...hahahahahaha
You're the kind of person that gives the fan base a bad name. You do realize it's been less than ten games?

Old
10-18-2013, 08:17 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Yes it does...did you watch the game? He looked lazy out there...gave half effort.....$8 mill for 3 assist...hahahahahahahahaha! Best player in the world...hahahahahaha
He's lost his confidence and when that happens it all goes downhill. I hate seeing people pile on a player who has given everything and I hope he turns it around soon.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 08:17 AM
Cuiff

Quote:
You're the kind of person that gives the fan base a bad name. You do realize it's been less than ten games?
Yes and he has looked that bad...sorry your just a blind follower

Old
10-18-2013, 08:19 AM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
He's lost his confidence and when that happens it all goes downhill. I hate seeing people pile on a player who has given everything and I hope he turns it around soon.

This is not and excuse...he is supose to be our leader and best player "in the world"

Old
10-18-2013, 08:20 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Yes and he has looked that bad...sorry your just a blind follower
You have impossible standards for your team's players. Don't be shocked if you're never happy with their performance.

Old
10-18-2013, 08:22 AM
Cuiff

Quote:
You have impossible standards for your team's players. Don't be shocked if you're never happy with their performance.
if more that 3 assists is impossible standards then i don't know what to say to you.....its been since 1975!!

Old
10-18-2013, 08:34 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
if more that 3 assists is impossible standards then i don't know what to say to you.....its been since 1975!!
I has nothing to with the 3 assists. You're willing to write the guy off based on a ten game stretch, while completely forgetting about the three previous seasons of dominance.

Old
10-18-2013, 08:36 AM
Cuiff

Quote:
I has nothing to with the 3 assists. You're willing to write the guy off based on a ten game stretch, while completely forgetting about the three previous seasons of dominance.
2011 was a fluke....He is not a game changer...he is not worth 8 mill. Looks like he has his money and does not care. He looked lazy last night