HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No need to panic

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-13-2013, 12:24 PM
  #1
theFiGS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,434
vCash: 500
No need to panic

Hello everyone, I've been following for a few years now finally got around to remaking an account.

Just wanted to say I'm not too worried about this team yet, I've been seeing so much panic from ranger fans and it's too soon. We have yet to play an eastern conference team, Hagelin out, Nash out, Callahan & stepan not much time back. If they don't pan out by game 25 then I'll begin to panic. Just wanted to say hello I'll be posting often and wanted to voice my opinion. Keep your heads up fellow ranger fans we have a long season ahead of us!

theFiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 12:29 PM
  #2
shinchanyo
Registered User
 
shinchanyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 2,452
vCash: 500
There may not be need to panic but there's certainly reason to be very pissed off and worried altho I prefer waiting 10-15 games

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 12:34 PM
  #3
theFiGS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
There may not be need to panic but there's certainly reason to be very pissed off and worried altho I prefer waiting 10-15 games
I'm not happy either, the team looked lazy 3 out of 5 games and soft. They need to simplify this system if that's the problem. They don't seem hungry out there

theFiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 12:39 PM
  #4
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks
 
SlingshotVv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,499
vCash: 500
I disagree. Fans have been presented with a strong case that this team will not compete at a high level. They're not just losing games, they're barely in any of these games for longer than the opening 10 minutes. That's an absolute disaster. Are panicked fans saying that we're not going to win any games this season? No. But it's pretty clear that we will not be competitive against the elite. You say it's a "learning a new system" thing? Fine. But I can't think of any situations where a new coach came in, and a team looked completely outmatched, and annihilated through an entire preseason and the first 5 reg season games, and then went on to hVe a serious cup run.

Maybe you're not panicking, but I spend a ton of money on my tix, and the feeling that I'll be paying to watch this abysmal product is very frustrating. For what it's worth, this is the exact same compete level I remember from the pre-lockout NYR. The idea Slats might be leading us right back to the dark ages really sucks.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 12:43 PM
  #5
theFiGS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
I disagree. Fans have been presented with a strong case that this team will not compete at a high level. They're not just losing games, they're barely in any of these games for longer than the opening 10 minutes. That's an absolute disaster. Are panicked fans saying that we're not going to win any games this season? No. But it's pretty clear that we will not be competitive against the elite. You say it's a "learning a new system" thing? Fine. But I can't think of any situations where a new coach came in, and a team looked completely outmatched, and annihilated through an entire preseason and the first 5 reg season games, and then went on to hVe a serious cup run.

Maybe you're not panicking, but I spend a ton of money on my tix, and the feeling that I'll be paying to watch this abysmal product is very frustrating. For what it's worth, this is the exact same compete level I remember from the pre-lockout NYR. The idea Slats might be leading us right back to the dark ages really sucks.
Wasn't using the new system as an excuse. I was just saying they may need to simplify it, I agree with you and I'm not sure how to feel about the future. Maybe 4 or 5 promising prospects and a lot of free agents doesn't spell success but a disaster of a year with a high pick might not be terrible. Devils had a top pick a few years ago and the next year made it to the cup

theFiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 12:51 PM
  #6
savebyrichter420
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 393
vCash: 500
Let's just be honest here, the team has looked and played like crap. People have every right to examine, critique and question anyone or anything associated with this team right now. Having said that, there is a point where it goes overboard but it seems like the hip thing to do around here to label someone as panicking just because they speak their mind about the issues plaguing this team, not just this season, but for multiple seasons leading up to it.

Once again, its a veiled shot at people designed to make the person taking the shot at another poster sound like a more loyal or devoted fan. Too many here seem more interested in boosting their own ego and proving how much more of a fan they are than the next guy. Some serious self esteem issues going on here. Some posters just want to look cool instead of contributing to a meaningful discussion and others posters are off the deep end with doom/gloom. Let's all take a step back, chill and let it all settle back to the midpoint between the two. I'm pretty sure we all love this team or we wouldn't be here so lets start focusing on the real problems and not each other.

savebyrichter420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 12:54 PM
  #7
theFiGS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by savebyrichter420 View Post
Let's just be honest here, the team has looked and played like crap. People have every right to examine, critique and question anyone or anything associated with this team right now. Having said that, there is a point where it goes overboard but it seems like the hip thing to do around here to label someone as panicking just because they speak their mind about the issues plaguing this team, not just this season, but for multiple seasons leading up to it.

Once again, its a veiled shot at people designed to make the person taking the shot at another poster sound like a more loyal or devoted fan. Too many here seem more interested in boosting their own ego and proving how much more of a fan they are than the next guy. Some serious self esteem issues going on here. Some posters just want to look cool instead of contributing to a meaningful discussion and others posters are off the deep end with doom/gloom. Let's all take a step back, chill and let it all settle back to the midpoint between the two. I'm pretty sure we all love this team or we wouldn't be here so lets start focusing on the real problems and not each other.

I agree 100% and if you post on a forum about a team then you must love it! I just hate people over reacting so much so soon. Everyone has their own opinion I respect each one, hopefully they turn this thing around so we can all be happy posters lol

theFiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 12:56 PM
  #8
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theFiGS View Post
Hello everyone, I've been following for a few years now finally got around to remaking an account.

Just wanted to say I'm not too worried about this team yet, I've been seeing so much panic from ranger fans and it's too soon. We have yet to play an eastern conference team, Hagelin out, Nash out, Callahan & stepan not much time back. If they don't pan out by game 25 then I'll begin to panic. Just wanted to say hello I'll be posting often and wanted to voice my opinion. Keep your heads up fellow ranger fans we have a long season ahead of us!
It depends on what expectations etc you have on this team.

If you wanted us to contend after a long rebuild, its quite obvious that John "Ponzi" Tortorella screwed us over completely and left an extremely poorly drilled team behind him.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 12:59 PM
  #9
theFiGS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
It depends on what expectations etc you have on this team.

If you wanted us to contend after a long rebuild, its quite obvious that John "Ponzi" Tortorella screwed us over completely and left an extremely poorly drilled team behind him.
We'll I definitely thought this team would come out rejuvenated and hungry with a new coach but it seems like they're coming out like the coach ( laid back ). I do miss the fire torts brought but you never know hopefully they buy into the AV style

theFiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 01:18 PM
  #10
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,841
vCash: 500
Not picking on the OP but I'm getting tired of hearing "if they haven't picked it up by game 20, then you can worry". You worry now. If they haven't picked it up by game 20, you admit failure. If this team still looks this way at game 20, that's not when it's time to START worrying. That's when it's time to swallow the pill and admit the season is a loss. You don't get to play like this for 20 games and be successful in this league. When people talk about the importance of early points and quick starts, and even loser points, they're not just saying it to say it. It should be extremely worrying to everyone how we have started the season. No, you don't hit the red button because of 5 games. I didn't say that. You worry at 5 games though. You consider hitting the red button at 25. All of this "start worrying at 20 games" talk is nonsense. If you've gone 1/4 of the season looking like this, you're looking to next season.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 01:32 PM
  #11
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK Pilot 76 View Post
Not picking on the OP but I'm getting tired of hearing "if they haven't picked it up by game 20, then you can worry". You worry now. If they haven't picked it up by game 20, you admit failure. If this team still looks this way at game 20, that's not when it's time to START worrying. That's when it's time to swallow the pill and admit the season is a loss. You don't get to play like this for 20 games and be successful in this league. When people talk about the importance of early points and quick starts, and even loser points, they're not just saying it to say it. It should be extremely worrying to everyone how we have started the season. No, you don't hit the red button because of 5 games. I didn't say that. You worry at 5 games though. You consider hitting the red button at 25. All of this "start worrying at 20 games" talk is nonsense. If you've gone 1/4 of the season looking like this, you're looking to next season.
It could be argued that many posters have already gone well beyond worrying. They've jumped off the bridge with the coach, GM, and starting goalie latched to them.

Semantics aside, the start no doubt has been disconcerting. However, there are several circumstances (not excuses) that give you reason to hope they'll get better. Let's wait and see.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 01:34 PM
  #12
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 6,351
vCash: 500
Everyone is stating their opinions are if they're fact. I think that's what gets everyone riled up, whether they're optimistic or pessimistic.

There isn't an objective point in the season where worrying is "right" and accepting defeat is "right." Different fans with different levels of investment think differently.

Personally, I'm not panicked and I won't be unless they show no signs of improvement over another dozen games or so.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 01:38 PM
  #13
savebyrichter420
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
It could be argued that many posters have already gone well beyond worrying. They've jumped off the bridge with the coach, GM, and starting goalie lashed to them.
I don't think its possible to include the GM in there as someone undeserving of criticism, all the others I agree with it though to a certain extent because nobody is perfect and everyone could and should be doing better! Glen Sather has every right to be thrown over the edge of a bridge! Hell, I'll even volunteer to do it, for free! But if people want to jump off and take him with them then by all means, please, feel free to do so!

savebyrichter420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 02:08 PM
  #14
Radek27
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,174
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I agree it's too early to start freaking out but I am interested to see how Slats starts tinkering with this roster as we move along here.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 02:27 PM
  #15
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks
 
SlingshotVv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,499
vCash: 500
Does anyone know the last time a team yanked their goalie in 3 straight games? Or, even worse, three of the opening 5?? And the last time it was a world class level goaltender in back to back starts? Or the last time a team that supposedly had one of the best defense corps in the league had their goalie yanked in three straight games despite having a world-class goaltender?

This is not a common occurance. This is bad news bears, epically, in every single direction. I'm not saying that they can't recover, but I can't for the life of me even remember a team getting so throroughly destroyed night after night. And to pretend this happens all the time to teams that are expected to contend, and everything is more than likely to just pan out seems really naieve at this particular moment.

I mean, will Ulfie even make it back to MSG?

The team seems desparate for structure. The defense is a mess. Staal, McD, and Girardi actually look to be getting worse as they learn the system. I just cannot believe, yet, that theose guys are just regressing like crazy. They're all players who have massive levels of compete, jam, fight, whatever. The problem appears to be that they're playing on islands. I haven't seen any coherent stratgey in their game so far. So either this system is so exotic, andrevolutionarily amazing that it takes serious pro's with top level skills this long to not look completely outmatched, or the system in place is not a good fit, for this team, this league, or maybe even this sport.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 02:28 PM
  #16
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,973
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theFiGS View Post
we have a long season ahead of us!
I'll say.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 02:33 PM
  #17
bmoak
Registered User
 
bmoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,509
vCash: 500


Posted without comment.

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 02:35 PM
  #18
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,706
vCash: 500
It's not that people are panicking, it's how they're panicking. I've been to many sporting events surrounded by many drunk people and I swear I've never seen grown adults act this way

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 02:53 PM
  #19
Kwayry
Take the damn deal
 
Kwayry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plano
Country: United States
Posts: 2,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK Pilot 76 View Post
Not picking on the OP but I'm getting tired of hearing "if they haven't picked it up by game 20, then you can worry". You worry now. If they haven't picked it up by game 20, you admit failure. If this team still looks this way at game 20, that's not when it's time to START worrying. That's when it's time to swallow the pill and admit the season is a loss. You don't get to play like this for 20 games and be successful in this league. When people talk about the importance of early points and quick starts, and even loser points, they're not just saying it to say it. It should be extremely worrying to everyone how we have started the season. No, you don't hit the red button because of 5 games. I didn't say that. You worry at 5 games though. You consider hitting the red button at 25. All of this "start worrying at 20 games" talk is nonsense. If you've gone 1/4 of the season looking like this, you're looking to next season.
One of my pet peeves on these boards is the phrase "I am tired of ...", because who gives a crap what an anonymous poster is tired of. I don't.

Putting that aside, who is arguing they can look like this for 20 games? I'd love to read the posts.
People have said that it'd take until game 20-25 to play like they played against the Kings consistently, a bit different than your straw man argument.

PS: what the hell is a PK Subban fan doing on these boards anyway?

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 03:08 PM
  #20
Idlerlee
Tanner Nash
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oslo, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,164
vCash: 145
Perhaps time to start asking how much the lack of matching with the final nhl roster in the pre-season actually hurt the team as a whole

Idlerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 03:19 PM
  #21
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 18,195
vCash: 476
I'm in panic mode because I know the team's done better than this, and it just seems like they're stuck between two game styles or strategies and a lot of the guys seemed too lost to attempt a clean try.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 03:28 PM
  #22
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by savebyrichter420 View Post
I don't think its possible to include the GM in there as someone undeserving of criticism, all the others I agree with it though to a certain extent because nobody is perfect and everyone could and should be doing better! Glen Sather has every right to be thrown over the edge of a bridge! Hell, I'll even volunteer to do it, for free! But if people want to jump off and take him with them then by all means, please, feel free to do so!
Definitely agree, too soon to throw AV and Lundqvist over the bridge but Sather should be downstream somewhere because he should have been thrown off the bridge a long time ago. Tough to give him the benefit of the doubt with his track record as GM the past 14 years.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 03:51 PM
  #23
savebyrichter420
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Definitely agree, too soon to throw AV and Lundqvist over the bridge but Sather should be downstream somewhere because he should have been thrown off the bridge a long time ago. Tough to give him the benefit of the doubt with his track record as GM the past 14 years.
This franchise needs people who are younger and hungrier in positions of power. Too many old heads from decades gone by and whose best accomplishments came in the previous century. Sather has earned his money, won his cups and made his mark on this sport. Couple that with an owner that has basically told him he can do whatever he wants for however long he wants and you end up with a man who's only real motivation is ego and greed. Get lost already and take your relics of the past cronies with ya!

savebyrichter420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 04:02 PM
  #24
Krampus
Call me Nils
 
Krampus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 17,869
vCash: 500
My minor addition to this topic: 2 of our 4 loses have been against two of the three teams that haven't lost any games

__________________
Krampus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 04:04 PM
  #25
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,973
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nils2317 View Post
My minor addition to this topic: 2 of our 4 loses have been against two of the three teams that haven't lost any games
At risk of sounding like broken record, it's not the losses, it's the way they've lost.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.