HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Brett Hull In 2004: “(Bleep) the fans.”

Old
10-12-2013, 01:25 PM
Dontdive

vCash: 500
Brett Hull In 2004: “(Bleep) the fans.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/t...-from-spector/

An article about the "Thornton situation" that mentions an interesting (albeit minor) incident regarding Brett Hull in 2004.

Dontdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
I remember that Hull quote quite a bit. Over the years as a Canadian I had hated Hull at times because of him playing for Team USA as a Canadian himself. So when that quote came out in 2004 at the time of the World Cup I remember sort of lumping it together with the upcoming lockout and my hatred for Hull at the time just heightened this, even though it really didn't have a lot to do with the lockout.

You know, as time has gone by, I have gotten over the Hull thing on Team USA. It was what it was. I realize know what I knew then that Hull was a fantastic player to have on your team. But at the time I was just happy to see him put his foot in his mouth.

However, that was 2004. Prior to Facebook, prior to Twitter and prior to every one and their mother owning a cell phone with a camera. So in the last decade I have seen an intrusion beyond epic proportions in the lives of athletes and it has bothered me.

This includes Patrick Kane a couple of years having to "apologize" because he was caught on camera................drinking in the summer of 2012. That's it. He was partying. Maybe he looked a little like a frat boy, but so what? He was letting loose. No need to apologize. So the position I take on this now, since almost everything in some way shape or form will get documented, is that I feel for what Hull was going through at that time, he was having a bad day. Or Thornton who was joking around and using language in a locker room that he would never use in front of his mother, but now all of the sudden his mother would have heard it thanks to some nosy reporter.

So yeah, I blame the reporter in the Thornton case. He should have used discretion. If you have that little creativity to come up with a decent article that you have to violate the trust of a veteran player who assumed his off the cuff comment was going to be left in the room then you are in the wrong career.

And people wonder why the players don't trust the media.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote