HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zack Kassian - 2013/2014 Season Expectations

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2013, 12:36 AM
alternate

vCash: 500
Count me in as someone satisfied with the progression in Kassian's game so far this season. We're starting to see his skill shine through, and I'm confident production will soon follow.

We need to get healthier so he has some decent linemates. Richardson has been good, but I don't see him as an offensive player 5 on 5. But he's been light years better than the other scrubs Kassian has played with since this recent spat of injuries has hit. Can't really complain about Torts using Higgins etc over Kass simply because of how well the other top 6 guys have been playing. But it doesn't seem fair to then complain that Zack isn't producing playing eleven minutes a night with Richardson + scrub.

I agree completely with those saying he needs some PP team. I'm all for putting Kesler on the point and Kassian in front of the net on the first unit, but if not that at least get him on the second unit. We have three guys getting PP time that I don't like getting it in Burrows, Higgins and Hamhuis (add Hansen when he's healthy). Absolutely agree that Kassian and Weber, and maybe Archibald on the second unit, should see some PP time at the expense of those other guys (Schroeder too when he's back). Really only Kesler is a forward I want being a top minute guy on both special teams.

Old
11-05-2013, 01:30 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
I agree completely with those saying he needs some PP team. I'm all for putting Kesler on the point and Kassian in front of the net on the first unit, but if not that at least get him on the second unit. We have three guys getting PP time that I don't like getting it in Burrows, Higgins and Hamhuis (add Hansen when he's healthy). Absolutely agree that Kassian and Weber, and maybe Archibald on the second unit, should see some PP time at the expense of those other guys (Schroeder too when he's back). Really only Kesler is a forward I want being a top minute guy on both special teams.
I've wanted Kesler to be put on the point since last season and let Kassian take his place in front of the goalie or at the left side of the net opposite Daniel Sedin to facilitate those cross-crease passes, jam plays or even just get rebounds. I don't mind Higgins on the 2nd unit though, but I agree about taking Burrows and Hamhuis off of there.

Old
11-05-2013, 07:05 AM
DCantheDman
DisplacedNuckfan

vCash: 265
I certainly do not want a do over on the trade. I liked this trade from day 1. Kassian is a role player that you need to be successful.

He is developing, gaining consistency and slowly becoming a force of destruction. Give it another three years and we will have a wrecking ball who can put up points.

Old
11-05-2013, 01:19 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
I would like a 4 man forward unit on the PP.

Sedin Sedin Kesler Burrows
Edler

Higgins Richardson Kassian
Garrison Bieksa

Old
11-05-2013, 03:08 PM
LeftCoast

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
I would like a 4 man forward unit on the PP.

Sedin Sedin Kesler Burrows
Edler

Higgins Richardson Kassian
Garrison Bieksa
Santo?

Old
11-05-2013, 03:37 PM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
i think if you polled most people they would secretly want a do-over on that trade
Chalk up one more for the "**** that noise" camp.

Cody Hodgson would be no better than Mike Santorelli is currently playing, and is not good enough defensively to center our third line. I'd say Kassian brings more to our team short term and long term.

Plus, who would you rather have in the playoffs?

Old
11-06-2013, 01:50 AM
Petey Cee
reel gud

This guy makes one good play a game, tries to hit people but is too slow and looks lost the rest of the game. Tries to injure other players. He also takes stupid penalites. Ughh

Old
11-06-2013, 02:04 AM
BoHorvatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
This guy makes one good play a game, tries to hit people but is too slow and looks lost the rest of the game. Tries to injure other players. He also takes stupid penalites. Ughh
Yeah he's all over the place. Slow at thinking the game and lost I would agree with for sure.

Old
11-06-2013, 02:05 AM
CanadianPirate

Quote:
Seriously? He injures Gagner with (an admittedly irresponsible) accidental high stick and finishes a check accidentally injuring Bolland and now he tries to injure other players?

Old
11-06-2013, 06:36 AM
F A N

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Yeah he's all over the place. Slow at thinking the game and lost I would agree with for sure.
I think Kassian's hockey sense falls into the "good" category for a guy with his skillset. Offensively, Kassian knows how to use his body to protect the puck and has a playmaker's timing and precision in delivering his passes. Plays do not die on his stick. In his defense, Kassian really hasn't consistently played with a playmaker who can work the give and go with Kassian. If you watch Kassian play actually places himself in good scoring position most of the time and places himself in a position to work the give and go when he passes off to a teammate. He just doesn't get the puck back in stride because he hasn't consistently played with a center who can pass the puck to him in stride. What Kassian needs to learn is how to be consistently effective with his body without being reckless and produce offensively. Whether he plays more like Lucic or Bertuzzi is up to him. But I think it would be foolish to expect Kassian to be the type of smart player who thinks the game at a high level at all ends of the ice. And really, don't we kind of want Kassian to more of a bull?

Old
11-06-2013, 07:51 AM
CanaFan

Quote:
Any player who plays Kassian's style of play will always get a high number of penalties, some definitely of the "stupid" variety ... that is the trade-off for playing a chippy, physical game. You can't have it both ways and expect a mean, hard hitting winger - which he is showing excellent signs of becoming whatever else you say about him - and expect penalty totals to match Henrik Sedin. Hockey doesn't work that way.

Edit: Also have no concerns about his hockey sense. Have seen enough plays where he shows a good understanding of where to give the puck and where to go without it to see that he's above average for his type of big, physical winger. Again people need to stop expecting him to look like a top line skilled scorer (a veteran no less) when that isn't his game. Think more Sergio Momesso for those who followed the team in the 90's. And that IS a very valuable player.

Last edited by CanaFan: 11-06-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old
11-06-2013, 08:12 AM
yoss

I like what Torts said, he needs to play like Higgins. If he could get close to approximating that level of effort & intensity consistency then I'm liking the potential. It also seems as if he's coming along last few games in that regard, hope it continues. The only part of that trade I'd take back is Sultzer for Gragnani.

Old
11-06-2013, 08:14 AM
Bieksa#3

Honestly the best game I've seen Kassian play as a Canuck was his first game after the trade was first announced.

That was the only game I've seen him play where he showed great hockey sense in a 200 ft game, every shift he was on.

Frustrating player

Old
11-06-2013, 11:11 AM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoss View Post
I like what Torts said, he needs to play like Higgins. If he could get close to approximating that level of effort & intensity consistency then I'm liking the potential. It also seems as if he's coming along last few games in that regard, hope it continues. The only part of that trade I'd take back is Sultzer for Gragnani.
Kassian is still having effort and intensity problems?!?! Man, this kid could be a force if he just cared. The biggest difference between Foligno and Kassian was effort, and I can see why the Sabres got rid of the one that lacked the effort.

Old
11-06-2013, 11:14 AM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
Kassian is still having effort and intensity problems?!?! Man, this kid could be a force if he just cared. The biggest difference between Foligno and Kassian was effort, and I can see why the Sabres got rid of the one that lacked the effort.
Naw it's just a lazy commentary some folks around here have to keep the glass half empty.

Old
11-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!

My problem with Kassian is it seems like his IQ level for when and how to be aggressive regarding hits is low.

He just seems to try and run at people when it's time to "make an impact" on the game but doesn't think it through; he just goes.

Then he flies in and misses the guy and hits the boards.

It's like there is a separation between what he wants to do and what his body does.

Unfortunately, I don't think it can be fixed.

Old
11-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Goon42

Quote:
Yeah... To make it more frustrating as a fan - he can have one beast shift then seem to aimlessly wonder the rest of the game like a lost puppy

Old
11-06-2013, 11:45 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
Effort/intensity problems? No.
Still trying to be effective in the pro-game? Yes.

It take's awhile to put a puzzle together. Especially those with a lot of pieces.

Old
11-06-2013, 12:00 PM
DCantheDman
DisplacedNuckfan

vCash: 265
Still young and putting it together. Yes, consistency is an issue, but I don't think it is due to a lack of effort. He will get there.

Old
11-06-2013, 12:09 PM
OEL for Norris
"Derpman-Larsson"

I'd like to see a 10+G,and 10+A 20+Pts from Zack while playing consistent physical hockey thays all we can really hope for this season IMO. Then next year hope for a modest increase ie 15G,15A...baby steps is the name of the game for Zack

Old
11-06-2013, 12:17 PM
m9

vCash: 50
I think he's been very solid in a top nine role this year, which is a very good step in his progression. I think he's playing better than his points suggest, he's unlucky to not have a couple of assists.

Old
11-06-2013, 05:09 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
The effort has been there, it's just a matter of doing the right things consistently and we've seen more of that this year which is a good sign.

Old
11-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCantYandleThis View Post
Chalk up one more for the "**** that noise" camp.

Cody Hodgson would be no better than Mike Santorelli is currently playing, and is not good enough defensively to center our third line. I'd say Kassian brings more to our team short term and long term.

Plus, who would you rather have in the playoffs?

The Santo vs. Hodgson comparison is an interesting one. Especially if Santo produces 50~ points. Defensively, blows Hodgy out of the water. Offensively, Hodgson is outpacing him by 10~ points... so is the team really missing out?

Of course, this all depends on Santo maintaining pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds81 View Post
My problem with Kassian is it seems like his IQ level for when and how to be aggressive regarding hits is low.

He just seems to try and run at people when it's time to "make an impact" on the game but doesn't think it through; he just goes.

It's like there is a separation between what he wants to do and what his body does.

Questionable IQ will not be "fixed". As in, he is what he is, in that department: inconsistent, and it's fine. Not every player is a high IQ thinker on the ice. Does not mean they are not effective on the ice. Also, I don't blindly believe that every young player will resolve all their weaknesses over time. Kassian's weakness can remain a weakness and he can still be effective despite it. He has been.

A 2nd liner. That's what I expect him to become. Eventually.

Old
11-06-2013, 06:36 PM
bsjezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds81 View Post

i disagree. the problem with kassian is his decision making, not his skills. the kid can hit and always will be able to. his hitting strategy (for example) is something that can and will be learned, both from his team-mates and, because he has such a unique profile on the current squad, from his own NHL-level experience. this is the same as his defensive decision-making, and his passing: he knows how to make the right move, quickly, and when he does it works. he just often makes bad decisions, and that's where discipline and strategy come in. it's what you learn.

"i don't think it can be fixed" is a very weird attitude to take with a guy like kassian. i don't buy it.

Old
11-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsjezz View Post
i disagree. the problem with kassian is his decision making, not his skills. the kid can hit and always will be able to. his hitting strategy (for example) is something that can and will be learned, both from his team-mates and, because he has such a unique profile on the current squad, from his own NHL-level experience. this is the same as his defensive decision-making, and his passing: he knows how to make the right move, quickly, and when he does it works. he just often makes bad decisions, and that's where discipline and strategy come in. it's what you learn.

"i don't think it can be fixed" is a very weird attitude to take with a guy like kassian. i don't buy it.

It depends on what needs to be "fixed". I don't think Kassian will resolve his mental inconsistency to become a consistent high IQ player. That's just not him. So in that sense, I don't think he will 'fix' that portion of his game. However, over time, he can improve upon his total efficiency by gaining more experience, as other players do. He's just not going to become a completely different player in the process, that has the opposite strengths/weaknesses. That is fantasy land stuff.

To this day, B's fans still take issue with Lucic's decision making. CHI fans get frustrated over Bickell. Wheeler and Simmonds are still questioned. That is the nature and scrutiny of being a PWF. Fans expect much more than an average sized player. They expect their PWFs to do it all. It's not a grounded philosophy.

Closed Thread