HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zack Kassian - 2013/2014 Season Expectations

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2013, 10:34 AM
ShouldveDraftedFiala

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Edler View Post
I'm fine with 30 points, he still has a couple years in my book before he needs to really break out.
I really hope the fans are patient with Kass. He's the type of player that takes a bit of time to fully develop, with his potential still probably 2 years away.

Remember that Bertuzzi was 25 when he broke out. With 3 full seasons under his belt.

Old
10-17-2013, 12:17 PM
Rosco

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuklehead View Post
I really hope the fans are patient with Kass. He's the type of player that takes a bit of time to fully develop, with his potential still probably 2 years away.

Remember that Bertuzzi was 25 when he broke out. With 3 full seasons under his belt.
Bertuzzi had`18 goals and 39 point in his first NHL season... I agree with patience, but not exactly similar trajectories.

Old
10-17-2013, 12:28 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
Bertuzzi had`18 goals and 39 point in his first NHL season... I agree with patience, but not exactly similar trajectories.
And he followed that up with a year split in the AHL and NHL with 64 GP and 10g 13a 23pts not exactly a great trejectory there either.

I think he has a long way to reach Bert levels, and chances aren't good he gets there, but these things take time and people need to give the KID that, TIME.

Old
10-17-2013, 12:59 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
He is simply not as talented as Bertuzzi, don't get the comparison to be honest. If Kassian is going to be an effective producer at this level, it's going to be him racking up a ton of garbage goals by driving to the net and creating chaos. He has little finesse to his game, which is fine, but it makes the Bert comparison unfair to Kassian.

Bert was a bit of freak to be honest. Other than Lindros, I can't think of another player who had such a lethal combination of size and skill in his prime.

Old
10-17-2013, 01:22 PM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
He is simply not as talented as Bertuzzi, don't get the comparison to be honest. If Kassian is going to be an effective producer at this level, it's going to be him racking up a ton of garbage goals by driving to the net and creating chaos. He has little finesse to his game, which is fine, but it makes the Bert comparison unfair to Kassian.

Bert was a bit of freak to be honest. Other than Lindros, I can't think of another player who had such a lethal combination of size and skill in his prime.
Lindros was a bull. IMHO his skill level was on par with Bertuzzi. That's why Lindros too often got his head knocked about.

Do you (or anyone) believe that Kassian is suffering a bit from the 'I used to be the biggest dog, and now I'm not anymore' sydrome? Maybe these really big guys, who dominate in Junior, take a bit longer to adjust to their size not being such a huge factor? I hope that Kassian can figure it out, because he has a boatload of talent.

Old
10-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
If you keep moving your feet into the hit they call it charging don't they?
Sometimes. You don't have to keep striding but the hit is much more effective if you can keep a neutral glide position and carry your momentum into the hit. Even more so when you're huge.

Kassian does it here

Lately he's been stopping his momentum and lunging with his arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertie View Post
Indeed I did notice it with the Wolves and I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Kassian needs big minutes, either here or in Utica. He needs to learn how to read the game better and how to protect and win the puck using his size. He is still not too old to be taught/coached these things.

If he can't then I fear we have a 4th liner for the duration.
Kassian can earn minutes from Torts with effort imo. If he works as hard as Torts wants, he'll get some leash to figure things out.

Quote:

I don't think that's fair. He may not be as skilled as Bertuzzi but he has a considerable amount of talent and is a much better playmaker than most big guys.

Last edited by Bourne Endeavor: 10-17-2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Fixed youtube vids
Old
10-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Wolfhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Lindros was a bull. IMHO his skill level was on par with Bertuzzi. That's why Lindros too often got his head knocked about.

Do you (or anyone) believe that Kassian is suffering a bit from the 'I used to be the biggest dog, and now I'm not anymore' sydrome? Maybe these really big guys, who dominate in Junior, take a bit longer to adjust to their size not being such a huge factor? I hope that Kassian can figure it out, because he has a boatload of talent.
I think that's exactly it. Size, with a little skill, can make things very easy in junior. To the point that you don't really have to put in much effort to succeed. Move up to the NHL, and guys 20 lbs lighter than him are just as strong, just as skilled, and smarter.
In time, hopefully he gains the strength to go with his size, the work ethic to go with his skill, and some experience to stack onto whatever smarts he does, or does not have.

Old
10-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Wolfhard

Quote:

I agree. Bertuzzi had enough skill that he would have been a very good player, even without his size. The size made him dominant for awhile. And the skill is why alot of the time, he didn't use the size.

Kassian doesn't have the puckhandling, and 1 on 1 moves that Bert did. And while Kass is a decent size, he's still 20-30 lbs shy of Bert, even at the same age. Though, as was said, Kassian has more passing ability than most big guys, and at least as much as Bertuzzi.

I'd be happy with Momesso 2.0, but if he could turn into a power playmaker, that can not only drive the net at times, but draw guys to him, bull around them and make some slick feeds to teammates in good shooting position, even better!

But most power forwards are shooters for a reason. If you can overpower other players, why wouldn't you just use that to charge the net yourself? The ability to pass, just adds another dimension when you're up against d-men that you can't push around

Old
10-17-2013, 02:20 PM
canucksfan

Quote:

Agreed.

Bertuzzi was one of the most talented players in the league in his prime. Plus he was a big guy. He was a great scorer in junior but never put it together in his first years in the NHL. Could have been because of the bad Islander teams.

Kassian isn't close to the skill of Bertuzzi. I think at best Kassian will become a second line winger with 15-20 goals, mostly garbage goals and 30 assists. I think he will become a third line winger.

Old
10-17-2013, 02:21 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I don't think that's fair. He may not be as skilled as Bertuzzi but he has a considerable amount of talent and is a much better playmaker than most big guys.
He is a decent playmaker but that has more to do with hockey sense and awareness than skill. He certainly has talent, you can see that, but he's simply not even in the same category of player that Bert was skill wise, which is why I think it's unfair to use him as a comparable. Kassian needs to play a much more simple game to succeed in this league.

Bert had some of the softest hands I've seen for a player of any size really, it's hardly an indictment on Kassian that he isn't that skilled.

I'm also not making any predictions on what Kassian will become, because we've seen all sorts of players wildly exceed their expectations and also wildly fail to meet them. It's still too early to see what path Kassian is on.

Old
10-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Don't like the Bertuzzi comparison. Kassian will never have that skill and dynamic ability.

Ryane Clowe is pretty much a carbon copy of Kassian. They're both huge, tough, can lay thundering hits, protect the puck well and play a pass first offensive game with a good skillevel.

Old
10-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Wizeman*

He is going to be as good as Bert was. Maybe not 45 goal ceiling but a 30 goal guy.

Old
10-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Don't like the Bertuzzi comparison. Kassian will never have that skill and dynamic ability.

Ryane Clowe is pretty much a carbon copy of Kassian. They're both huge, tough, can lay thundering hits, protect the puck well and play a pass first offensive game with a good skillevel.
Agree with this. Bertuzzi's hands were evident - and absolutely filthy - from the get-go. It was his consistency that drove people insane.

I have not seen those hands from Kassian (his hands aren't bad, just not Bert-level). I think Clowe is a great top-side comparable.

10-17-2013, 03:12 PM
racerjoe

Quote:

Maybe some guy named Mario...

I disagree alot with some of you. Bert for sure had more skill, but you are comparing them in with Bert in his prime. I think they have a very similar skill set. It's closer than the other comparison that got thrown around in Lucic. I think it will just be incredibly dificult to reach Berts level in the end, but skillset wise, closer than most think, or are saying.

Old
10-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Agree with this. Bertuzzi's hands were evident - and absolutely filthy - from the get-go. It was his consistency that drove people insane.

I have not seen those hands from Kassian (his hands aren't bad, just not Bert-level). I think Clowe is a great top-side comparable.
I can't see that. IMHO Kassian is a much better skater than Clowe, and has much softer hands. Clowe is smarter (more mature) and plays the game harder. That would be like comparing Kassian to Lucic. They have different skill-sets. Kassian is a unique player, who is trying to make the game that worked so well for him at the junior level, work in the NHL. Hopefully, he comes around - before the twins are gone.

Old
10-17-2013, 03:18 PM
MikeK

I've not given up on Kassian or his potential. He is still young and going threw those growing pains that some youngsters go through. He just has to find his place and decide what type of player he is. I lump it all into 'Maturing'. Once he matures and figures out the NHL game I see him as a solid member of the team.

Old
10-17-2013, 03:20 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
Maybe some guy named Mario...
Oh of course, Mario Lemieux, the great power forward who played the game just like Lindros and Bertuzzi!

Old
10-17-2013, 03:20 PM
Shareefruck

I hate the Bertuzzi comparisons too. Their style is nearly identical, but Kassian does not have anywhere close to similar potential, IMO.

Old
10-17-2013, 03:22 PM
CanuckLuck

Bertuzzi was never really that physically enforcing. He was just a VERY skilled big guy that could protect the puck well.

Kassian has more intimidation to his game than Bert. Kassian will also drop the mitts and try to knock out anyone where as Bertuzzi would bearhug a guy in to submission.

As far as the players go, I actually see barely any similarities - Other than the fact they are both big and have an element of skill to their game (but that generalizes the comparison big time).

Old
10-17-2013, 03:38 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:

It's almost becoming cliché that every "power forward" who struggles has to be compared to the next Bertuzzi with little regard to much else. At this point, I don't see much validity in comparing Kassian to Bertuzzi any more than comparing Kassian to Steve Bernier.

10-17-2013, 03:40 PM
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann

vCash: 576
no knows what his potential is hard to say

Old
10-17-2013, 03:47 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Oh of course, Mario Lemieux, the great power forward who played the game just like Lindros and Bertuzzi!
Large guys that also have unreal skill.

Old
10-17-2013, 03:52 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
Large guys that also have unreal skill.
I know what you meant, just giving you a hard time. Didn't bring up Mario because he didn't play anywhere close to the same type of game as Bert or Lindros, and we are discussing comparable power forwards for Kassian here.

Mario was the most skilled player to ever play the game in my opinion.

Old
10-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
Bertuzzi was never really that physically enforcing. He was just a VERY skilled big guy that could protect the puck well.

Kassian has more intimidation to his game than Bert. Kassian will also drop the mitts and try to knock out anyone where as Bertuzzi would bearhug a guy in to submission.

As far as the players go, I actually see barely any similarities - Other than the fact they are both big and have an element of skill to their game (but that generalizes the comparison big time).
From what I've seen, I think Kassian totally models the way he controls/passes the puck and tries to make plays to the way Bertuzzi does it, personally.

Old
10-17-2013, 04:04 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogaine View Post
He is going to be as good as Bert was. Maybe not 45 goal ceiling but a 30 goal guy.
Wow, pretty bold to just flat out say he's going to be as good as Bertuzzi was. Bert was a 1st team all star at his peak.

Closed Thread