HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Northern Europe
Northern Europe Norway, Denmark, Iceland

General info on hockey in Denmark and Norway...

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2005, 04:19 PM
KariyaIsGod*

vCash: 500
General info on hockey in Denmark and Norway...

Hey, I'm Canadian and have been wondering about some of the world's other leagues. Not the DEL, SEL, FEL and what not, but the lesser known leagues in countries that may not be percieved as traditional hockey countries.

What are the pro league slike in Norway and Denmark? Are the players comparable to say, SEL players in terms of skill or is it more at a CHL level?

Also, how poluar is hockey in these countries? Good attendance? Many pick-up games? Do the players in these pro leagues make decent money? Who are the main stars?

Any answers to these questions would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Old
10-10-2005, 07:59 PM
rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoses
Hey, I'm Canadian and have been wondering about some of the world's other leagues. Not the DEL, SEL, FEL and what not, but the lesser known leagues in countries that may not be percieved as traditional hockey countries.

What are the pro league slike in Norway and Denmark? Are the players comparable to say, SEL players in terms of skill or is it more at a CHL level?

Also, how poluar is hockey in these countries? Good attendance? Many pick-up games? Do the players in these pro leagues make decent money? Who are the main stars?

Thanks
Hey, DrMoses!

The Norwegian UPC League is a couple of notches below the level of both the SEL, DEL and the Finnish top league. I`d still rate it as better than CHL and OHL, allthough the top end talent is better in Canadian Junior Hockey. Mathis Olimb played last year with London Knights and Sarnia Sting of the OHL, but is now back in Norway with Vaalerenga. He hasn`t made an impact yet...

Hockey in Norway is on the rise at the moment, and the attendance is up most places. We`ve had a down period, but the future is looking brighter as both our mens and junior national team will be playing in the A World Chamionships next year.

Most of the players in Norway have a normal job besides hockey, so I guess you call them semi - professional. Not much money involved as far as I know...

As for pick up - games...not very common. We don`t have the climate that you guys over in North America got, so you`ll seldom see kids playing on frozen lakes/ponds over here. It just wont freeze up!

Last edited by rangers: 10-10-2005 at 11:30 PM.
Old
10-22-2005, 04:19 AM
Jazz

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz
Hey Rangers.

I'm curious about the popularity of hockey in Norway, is attendance up in recent years? Also, what (if anything) is Norway doing with their youth programs to help accelerate their development?

Old
10-25-2005, 03:54 PM
Tobias

Send a message via Skype™ to Tobias
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoses

Thanks
I am updating the Danish league info here
http://www.internationalhockeygang.o...ead.php?t=1312, and you will be able to see all the players playing in the league and then look up names. Attendances will also be posted

Closed Thread