HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League: Torts Goes Hulk Mode

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Likely won't stop it from happening in the future. Players are going to get run regardless.
Ya since it's going to happen in the future anyways, we should just stand around and let our guys get run over. Clean hit, dirty hit who gives a ****.

Old
12-04-2013, 07:44 PM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
Ya since it's going to happen in the future anyways, we should just stand around and let our guys get run over. Clean hit, dirty hit who gives a ****.
That's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying that we could throw Semenko out there and it won't stop our guys from getting run. It happens to every team in the league, regardless of who's on the ice or on the bench.

Old
12-04-2013, 08:01 PM
Philly85
Raps'

Wouldn't stop but at least there would be a legit response and teams would know after an extended period that there will be repercussions or their actions one way or another. I think there would be a gradual decline in incidents. They need an initiator not a responder though.

Old
12-04-2013, 08:03 PM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Wouldn't stop but at least there would be a legit response and teams would know after an extended period that there will be repercussions or their actions one way or another. I think there would be a gradual decline in incidents. They need an initiator not a responder though.
This much I agree with, but even those with initiators get run. Lapierre ran Boyle earlier this year... Then Edler tried to run Hertl. The Sharks are considered one of the tougher teams around and they still get run.

Old
12-04-2013, 09:24 PM
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo

vCash: 50
Quote:
This much I agree with, but even those with initiators get run. Lapierre ran Boyle earlier this year... Then Edler tried to run Hertl. The Sharks are considered one of the tougher teams around and they still get run.
You seem to be fixated on the point of whether or not our players are going to be run. IMO, this is the weaker issue involved with having a teammate stick up for another after being run.

Of course it isn't going to stop it. Nothing, outside of an overhaul of the punishment for running players, which would likely systematically take hitting out of the game, will change the fact that that players will continue to run or be run down.

Again, IMO, it's the support that is important. I've said it before and I'll say it again: The Edmonton Oilers are not currently an NHL team. They're, instead, a group of selfish individuals on the ice. We seldom see support for one another, especially in the form of violence, which is an important tool in this game.

tl;dr - No one has eachothers backs on the ice out there. Getting run over, and seeing your supposed, "teammates" bus-stopping is a ridiculous disgrace. Especially in hockey.

Old
12-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Del McPreston
5-14-6-1

vCash: 319
Calgary outworking their opponent yet again. Why the **** can't our team do that?

Old
12-04-2013, 10:25 PM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
Calgary outworking their opponent yet again. Why the **** can't our team do that?
They got outshot 11-3 in the first.

They scored and turned it on afterward.

Great for them I guess. Would be nice if we got an opponent that played in Calgary the night before.

Old
12-04-2013, 10:30 PM
PavelDatsyuk

Quote:

Great for them I guess. Would be nice if we got an opponent that played in Calgary the night before.
This happened Nov. 2

Oilers lost 5-0

Old
12-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Del McPreston
5-14-6-1

Quote:

Oh, I missed the first.

Doesn't seem to matter if the Oilers catch an opponent playing the second game in two nights. They end up looking like the tired team 90% of the time.

Be interesting to see what happens on Saturday night with Calgary playing the night before.

Old
12-04-2013, 10:32 PM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavelDatsyuk View Post
This happened Nov. 2

Oilers lost 5-0
Yes I'm well aware of that. We crapped the bed that night, no doubt.

In fact our next opponent that was in Calgary the night before is... Calgary.

The last few years it just seems like a lot of opponents play in Edmonton first and then Calgary the night after. The BJs and Panthers earlier this year have already done that.

I remember a couple years ago Calgary kept beating us and we were always playing someone else the night before. The game where the situation reversed, we whomped them 6-1.

Old
12-04-2013, 11:03 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Yes I'm well aware of that. We crapped the bed that night, no doubt.

In fact our next opponent that was in Calgary the night before is... Calgary.

The last few years it just seems like a lot of opponents play in Edmonton first and then Calgary the night after. The BJs and Panthers earlier this year have already done that.

I remember a couple years ago Calgary kept beating us and we were always playing someone else the night before. The game where the situation reversed, we whomped them 6-1.
Fact of the matter is the Flames are owning the Coyotes right now. A night after we were thoroughly embarrassed by said Coyotes.

You can excuse it that Calgary gets teams the night after the Oilers. But that is a sad excuse. The Flames are just a team that try harder. They don't have much talent, but you know with the Flames you are at least going to get effort.

1/3rd of the way through a season and the Flames rebuild is already ahead of the Oilers rebuild on what... year 5?

How embarrassing is that.

Old
12-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Maybe, but the fact that they're playing Greiss and he's let in 4 goals in 15 shots (that's .733 lol) sure as hell helps.

Old
12-04-2013, 11:24 PM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Fact of the matter is the Flames are owning the Coyotes right now. A night after we were thoroughly embarrassed by said Coyotes.

You can excuse it that Calgary gets teams the night after the Oilers. But that is a sad excuse. The Flames are just a team that try harder. They don't have much talent, but you know with the Flames you are at least going to get effort.

1/3rd of the way through a season and the Flames rebuild is already ahead of the Oilers rebuild on what... year 5?

How embarrassing is that.
How can we possibly determine that before the season is even done?

Much like us, the Flames lack a true #1 goalie and defenseman. Unless Brodie blossoms into the next Phaneuf they still have a long ways to go.

I admire their spirit but to call their rebuild already more successful than ours based on their try is a bit premature, don't you think?

Old
12-04-2013, 11:43 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

So that Downie - Couturier - Read line is playing like the best 3rd line in the league.

Old
12-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Spawn

Quote:
How can we possibly determine that before the season is even done?

Much like us, the Flames lack a true #1 goalie and defenseman. Unless Brodie blossoms into the next Phaneuf they still have a long ways to go.

I admire their spirit but to call their rebuild already more successful than ours based on their try is a bit premature, don't you think?
Considering that the Oilers rebuild had failed abysmally with no light at the end of the tunnel and with morons running the show.... No, it isn't premature.

Old
12-04-2013, 11:48 PM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Considering that the Oilers rebuild had failed abysmally with no light at the end of the tunnel and with morons running the show.... No, it isn't premature.
And the Flames are already a rousing success 27 games in?

I won't deny that we've been horrible but at least wait until the end of the season.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...ate=12/04/2010

Here are the standings on this day 3 years ago. We're even with the Flames. Do you remember how much different things were at the end of the season?

Old
12-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Spawn

Quote:
And the Flames are already a rousing success 27 games in?

I won't deny that we've been horrible but at least wait until the end of the season.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...ate=12/04/2010

Here are the standings on this day 3 years ago. We're even with the Flames. Do you remember how much different things were at the end of the season?
The Flames rebuild is more successful by virtue of not having Kevin Lowe/Craig MacTavish running the show.

There isn't an organization in the league that isn't ahead of where the Oilers are now. Even the lowly Buffalo Sabres will turn it around before the Oilers will (assuming Kevin Lowe continues to be employed).

Old
12-05-2013, 12:04 AM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
The Flames rebuild is more successful by virtue of not having Kevin Lowe/Craig MacTavish running the show.

There isn't an organization in the league that isn't ahead of where the Oilers are now. Even the lowly Buffalo Sabres will turn it around before the Oilers will (assuming Kevin Lowe continues to be employed).
Oh, okay. That clears everything up then. I'm glad you got a fix on every other team in the league.

Kinda makes me wonder why you cheer for this team if you have such a bleak outlook based on who's employed.

Old
12-05-2013, 12:05 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Oh, okay. That clears everything up then. I'm glad you got a fix on every other team in the league.

Kinda makes me wonder why you cheer for this team if you have such a bleak outlook based on who's employed.
I wonder the same myself. I'm like a heroin addict I guess. I know its bad for me, I can't quit and the highs are starting to not be as effective.

Old
12-06-2013, 12:55 AM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
Buffalo has 3 regulation wins.

Ew.

Old
12-06-2013, 01:12 AM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Catface View Post
Buffalo has 3 regulation wins.

Ew.
I think two of them are against the Leafs.

That team is baaaaaaaaad. They're barely managing a goal and a half per game. I can't wait until we play them in February. Hopefully Miller will be traded by then.

Old
12-07-2013, 12:20 AM
dangerMcdanger

So after watching a few more Colorado games...

Man is Duchene ever a selfish player. It's like he refuses to pass the puck if there's even a 0.01% chance he can dangle it to the net. It's like Yakupov but to a much higher degree. Saw this in the world championships, been seeing it this year. I don't have much time for that type of player.

Old
12-07-2013, 02:42 PM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Seguin with the natural hat trick and 4 points, Nichushkin with 4 assists.

Old
12-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Philly85
Raps'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerdanger View Post
So after watching a few more Colorado games...

Man is Duchene ever a selfish player. It's like he refuses to pass the puck if there's even a 0.01% chance he can dangle it to the net. It's like Yakupov but to a much higher degree. Saw this in the world championships, been seeing it this year. I don't have much time for that type of player.
I was goin to mention this as well. He plays hockey like he's playing a video games version of it. I think he's pushing too hard as well since he cooled off after getting injured and having the flu, he's trying to dominate again like he was the first dozen games or so. He needs to let the game come to him a bit. Still a fun player to watch though.

Old
12-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Del McPreston
5-14-6-1

Some real dirty **** going on in Boston tonight.

James Neal knees Marchand in the head:

Thornton slewfoots and then suckerpunches Orpik, who had to be stretchered off.

Last edited by Del Preston: 12-07-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Closed Thread