HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

What if Martin Brodeur had started the last game of the 06/07 season?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-14-2013, 02:24 PM
  #26
Roomtemperature
Registered User
 
Roomtemperature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,082
vCash: 923
Everyone would have made the playoffs inbetween lockouts... probably not much else.

Roomtemperature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 03:22 PM
  #27
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Those "lowly Islanders" were the team the Leafs were battling for the final playoff spot!
They were still lowly. I never said the Leafs weren't because they were too.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 05:44 PM
  #28
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Evil Empire
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,479
vCash: 500
That was the Islanders 4th playoff appearance in 5 seasons, calling them "lowly" is pretty silly.

I liked their PP unit that included Ryan Smyth, Miro Satan, Tom Poti, and Marc-Andre Bergeron. Made me feel like the Oilers made the playoffs. I don't think they ever had Mike York out there with them, but it's possible.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:22 PM
  #29
Hawkey Town 18
Moderator
 
Hawkey Town 18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 5,532
vCash: 500
In what universe is a goalie sitting out a meaningless game to his own team in what would be his 79th start of an 82 game season anything but completely normal? Goaltender is a position that regularly takes nights off anyway...I just don't get anyone being surprised by this one.


To answer the question...My guess would be NJ wins that game, but I didn't see it. How did Clemmensen play?

Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 07:13 PM
  #30
Megahab
Registered User
 
Megahab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,269
vCash: 500
I remember Don Cherry the night before the game saying things like "do the right thing", saying that the Devils should start Brodeur.

The Saturday night Leafs vs. Habs game was one of my worst moments as a sports fan. I couldn't believe the Habs blew their lead and lost. I was rooting hard for the Islanders the next day.

Can't believe that was more than six years ago.

Megahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 07:17 PM
  #31
Brodeur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 15,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
To answer the question...My guess would be NJ wins that game, but I didn't see it. How did Clemmensen play?
Only vague recollection now, but Clemmensen was adequate. The thing from that game that was notable was the Devils tying the game with one second left in regulation (Islanders had a 2-0 lead with less than five minutes left in regulation): http://espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=270408011

So that was a brief glimmer of hope for Leafs fans as they sweated through the OT/shootout. Without looking up the numbers, the Islanders had a good 1-2 for the shootout with Miro Satan and Viktor Kozlov. Kozlov was on the Devils the previous season and pretty much epitomized a 4th liner/shootout specialist. As much as I disliked Kozlov's time with the Devils, he was close to automatic in the shootout.

Both would end up scoring on Clemmensen, but it's anybody's guess whether Brodeur would have been any better (until recently Brodeur had been above average in the shootout).

Perhaps the odd thing looking at the boxscore was the Devils using Sergei Brylin over Patrik Elias or even Jamie Langenbrunner in the shootout.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 07:28 PM
  #32
TheDevilMadeMe
Registered User
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 45,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Only vague recollection now, but Clemmensen was adequate. The thing from that game that was notable was the Devils tying the game with one second left in regulation (Islanders had a 2-0 lead with less than five minutes left in regulation): http://espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=270408011

So that was a brief glimmer of hope for Leafs fans as they sweated through the OT/shootout. Without looking up the numbers, the Islanders had a good 1-2 for the shootout with Miro Satan and Viktor Kozlov. Kozlov was on the Devils the previous season and pretty much epitomized a 4th liner/shootout specialist. As much as I disliked Kozlov's time with the Devils, he was close to automatic in the shootout.

Both would end up scoring on Clemmensen, but it's anybody's guess whether Brodeur would have been any better (until recently Brodeur had been above average in the shootout).

Perhaps the odd thing looking at the boxscore was the Devils using Sergei Brylin over Patrik Elias or even Jamie Langenbrunner in the shootout.
Elias was really bad at the shooutout when we first started having them - he tended to overthink things. Obviously, he's gotten better.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 08:04 PM
  #33
Sacha Baron Corbin
Registered User
 
Sacha Baron Corbin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 9,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maroon 6 View Post
What if the Penguins traded the 2005 first overall pick to the Leafs for Aki Berg and a bag of pucks?
They would've taken Marek Zagrapan or Sasha Pokulok.

Sacha Baron Corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 09:04 AM
  #34
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
That was the Islanders 4th playoff appearance in 5 seasons, calling them "lowly" is pretty silly.
They haven't gotten out of the first round of the playoffs in 20 years. They squeaked in in 2007 never made it in 2006, and didn't make it again until 2013. Whoever was getting into the 8th spot in 2007 was not beating Buffalo anyway. You could call that rather "lowl" in my eyes, but either way.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 09:17 AM
  #35
JaysCyYoung
Registered User
 
JaysCyYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: York Region
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,388
vCash: 500
It seriously pissed me off at the time, but the Devils were well within their rights to have done what was in their club's best interest and rested Brodeur.

I think they probably would have defeated New York, but the blame still rests on the Leafs for not finding an additional point somewhere over the course of the preceding games to that point.

Sure they likely lose to Buffalo in their first round series, but at least it would have eliminated the asinine "Leafs are the only club that hasn't made the playoffs since the lockout" taunts. Especially since I think the 2006-07 Leafs were a better club than the 2006-07 Thrashers, 2008-09 Blue Jackets, or 2011-12 Panthers for instance.

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 03:24 PM
  #36
Brodeur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 15,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
I think they probably would have defeated New York, but the blame still rests on the Leafs for not finding an additional point somewhere over the course of the preceding games to that point.
This reminded me of the Devils/Leafs game from early in that season: http://espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=261012011

Toronto had a 6-3 lead after two periods. Brian Gionta would get a natural hat trick in the third, with the tying goal coming with 38 seconds left in regulation. John Madden would get the winning goal in the shootout.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 06:58 PM
  #37
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Evil Empire
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,479
vCash: 500
Leafs played the Islanders a few days before the end of the season, and lost. That was their big chance.

The Isles getting in actually took a perfect storm of results over the last week of the season. Their odds of making the playoffs with 4 games remaining were probably less than 5%.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 02:04 AM
  #38
Boom Boom Bear
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Coast Salish lands
Country:
Posts: 1,654
vCash: 500
on a related note, in 88 my Dad & i bought tickets to the last Canucks game of the season versus the Kings... months in advance. we wanted to see Gretzky in a Kings uni. traveled six hours to the game.

when we got there we learned that the Great One was a healthy scratch... Ftorek was "resting him" for the playoffs. man, were we pissed!

the Old Man wanted a refund... hates Ftorek to this day

Boom Boom Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 03:15 PM
  #39
puckyeah
.
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Some people thought since the game still meant the outcome of who finished 8th and 9th in the Eastern Conference, the Devils should have started Brodeur and not made it easier for the Islanders playing their #2 Goalie.
Some teams and managers/coaches believe that you don't taint the game and you play to win if that game affects other teams standings.

You have a point, its a bad beat. Many would say that if you wanted to make the playoffs, you shouldnt have put yourself in a position to need help from another team, but that's tough to swallow especially since the Isles and Devils are at least mini-rivals being in the same division (or were at the time).

Things would have been different i believe.

puckyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 11:38 PM
  #40
Eisen
Registered User
 
Eisen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Eugene
Country: United States
Posts: 9,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Bear View Post
on a related note, in 88 my Dad & i bought tickets to the last Canucks game of the season versus the Kings... months in advance. we wanted to see Gretzky in a Kings uni. traveled six hours to the game.

when we got there we learned that the Great One was a healthy scratch... Ftorek was "resting him" for the playoffs. man, were we pissed!

the Old Man wanted a refund... hates Ftorek to this day
Hehe, I can see that.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 04:15 AM
  #41
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomtemperature View Post
Everyone would have made the playoffs inbetween lockouts... probably not much else.
Except the Islanders that is

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 10:07 AM
  #42
Roomtemperature
Registered User
 
Roomtemperature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,082
vCash: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Except the Islanders that is
Well I forgot that part so true... makes it more interesting and dramatic in hindsight

Roomtemperature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:58 AM
  #43
sbresistor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,059
vCash: 500
Devils would have scored more

sbresistor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.