HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Value of Two Players (Cole and Smith)

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2005, 10:42 PM
Bruins4Ever

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Bruins4Ever
Value of Two Players (Cole and Smith)

Boston is going to be looking for some grit whenever the NHL resumes, one PF upfront, and possibly a good strong physical d-man, because face it, Gill isn't the best bet. What are their values, and what would it take from Boston to get either of these players? Prospects, picks, etc.?

Old
07-15-2005, 11:04 PM
Path Of The Beserker
Greasy Swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Ever
Boston is going to be looking for some grit whenever the NHL resumes, one PF upfront, and possibly a good strong physical d-man, because face it, Gill isn't the best bet. What are their values, and what would it take from Boston to get either of these players? Prospects, picks, etc.?
jeez. I would be doing flips if o'c could get one or both of em. along with dupuis three of my fav guys.
maybe if we just go beg each team "please, please we dont have any players cant you just spare the one guy?"
maybe they would take pity and just give us the rights for a low draft pick.
smith i could see as it opens some room for edmonton but cole i dont see getting to easy.

Old
07-15-2005, 11:09 PM
Bruins4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatley wanted
jeez. I would be doing flips if o'c could get one or both of em. along with dupuis three of my fav guys.
maybe if we just go beg each team "please, please we dont have any players cant you just spare the one guy?"
maybe they would take pity and just give us the rights for a low draft pick.
smith i could see as it opens some room for edmonton but cole i dont see getting to easy.
Smith would be amazing to get. If you also sign say Rathje to our defense, you have a rock solid, but offensive blue line to say the least:

Gonchar-Boynton
Smith-Jonsson
Rathje-Girard/Stuart

Old
07-15-2005, 11:17 PM
Path Of The Beserker
Greasy Swede

Quote:
Smith would be amazing to get. If you also sign say Rathje to our defense, you have a rock solid, but offensive blue line to say the least:

Gonchar-Boynton
Smith-Jonsson
Rathje-Girard/Stuart
much rather see stuart at the number six but we are thinking alike . even if we dont get gonchar back for any length of time there are a bunch more good dmen to chase

Old
07-15-2005, 11:20 PM
Bruins4Ever

Quote:
much rather see stuart at the number six but we are thinking alike . even if we dont get gonchar back for any length of time there are a bunch more good dmen to chase
For sure, but I think Gonchar is the best bet. He's the best offensive defenseman in the league, and we gave up a 1st rounder, I believe, for him, so we better resign him. Rafalski or Aucoin or Hamrlik wouldn't be bad conselation prizes, but Gonchar is the one I want back for sure.

Old
07-15-2005, 11:23 PM
Path Of The Beserker
Greasy Swede

Quote:
For sure, but I think Gonchar is the best bet. He's the best offensive defenseman in the league, and we gave up a 1st rounder, I believe, for him, so we better resign him. Rafalski or Aucoin or Hamrlik wouldn't be bad conselation prizes, but Gonchar is the one I want back for sure.
me tas well but no way to know for sure what his intentions are?

Old
07-15-2005, 11:28 PM
Bruins4Ever

Quote:
me tas well but no way to know for sure what his intentions are?
This is turning more into a conversation between two fans than a thread, but whatever. Boston has reportedly been in contact with him through his agents, and at the beginning of last year they repeatedly said they would have him back as soon as the season began again. Promising words to say the least.

Old
07-15-2005, 11:45 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

How many players do the Bruins have under contract? I'm not sure the Bruins would have much to offer to the Oilers that we would want.

Smith is a veteran signed to a very reasonable long-term deal and the Oilers aren't in any immediate need to cut salary.

What would you be willing to give up?

Old
07-16-2005, 12:34 AM
Path Of The Beserker
Greasy Swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned
How many players do the Bruins have under contract? I'm not sure the Bruins would have much to offer to the Oilers that we would want.

Smith is a veteran signed to a very reasonable long-term deal and the Oilers aren't in any immediate need to cut salary.

What would you be willing to give up?
a pick and hal gill or one of the prospects?
I dont know what we could really offer either but it would open up a bit more room to sign someone else ?

Old
07-16-2005, 12:48 AM
Traitor8

why would u trade for players now when their is like 200 free agents?

Old
07-16-2005, 02:52 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
why would u trade for players now when their is like 200 free agents?
Because there aren't 200 Jason Smith's on the market and there will be teams that miss out on signing the free agents. There is certainly a ridiculously large number of free agents this year but there still won't be enough to leave every team happy...

Old
07-16-2005, 08:57 AM
Path Of The Beserker
Greasy Swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Because there aren't 200 Jason Smith's on the market and there will be teams that miss out on signing the free agents. There is certainly a ridiculously large number of free agents this year but there still won't be enough to leave every team happy...
i still thin ther will be quite a few trades of teams looking to dump that bit of salary without buying out the player. then they can sign another free agent or make room for the one they already just signed. I think alot of teams will be trading vets for picks/prospects. we will have to wait and see though, draft day could be quite busy or completley quiet

Old
07-16-2005, 10:04 AM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

I assume you mean Eric Cole in Carolina.

So if thats correct, i'd also assume that they'd ask for Bergeron. Cole is a very valuable player, 2nd only to Staal IMO on the team. Thats not to say Boston would say yes.

A package around Boyes or Stuart might get him.

I highly doubt Edmonton would trade Smith though, they just signed him at a good price for 4 years.

Old
07-16-2005, 10:21 AM
Traitor8

There's a lot of Coles on the market..and there's a lot of superstars as well. This year's free agency is filled with great defenseman. It would be stupid to make trades if there is so much talent available for just money.

Old
07-16-2005, 11:37 AM
Bruins4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
There's a lot of Coles on the market..and there's a lot of superstars as well. This year's free agency is filled with great defenseman. It would be stupid to make trades if there is so much talent available for just money.
No, there are powerforwards on the market (Tkachuk and Guerin mainly) but they are both old, quite the opposite of Cole. I think Boyes and Gill might be able to get Smith, but I think Cole would cost too much because we see Bergeron as a main part of our future.

Boyes, Gill

for

Smith

Old
07-16-2005, 11:53 AM
OILBEEF

Quote:
No, there are powerforwards on the market (Tkachuk and Guerin mainly) but they are both old, quite the opposite of Cole. I think Boyes and Gill might be able to get Smith, but I think Cole would cost too much because we see Bergeron as a main part of our future.

Boyes, Gill

for

Smith
Make it Mark Stuart and your 1st rounder. Smith is in his prime and has 3 years left on his deal.

Old
07-16-2005, 12:12 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILBEEF
Make it Mark Stuart and your 1st rounder. Smith is in his prime and has 3 years left on his deal.
doubt that would ever happen - while i like smith, the wear and tear his body takes means that he's certainly not "in his prime". he's still very effective yes, but i don't see him maintaining that level for 3 years. and i wouldn't move a chip like stuart AND a 1st rounder for him.

Old
07-16-2005, 12:21 PM
zamboni

Quote:
You won't get Smith easy, either. Edmonton has 12 players under contract with a total payroll of $13 million. They don't need open room because they already have it. Also, trading Smith leaves a hole on defense considering only 5 of our d-men are certain to be back, since Ulanov and possibly Cross look all but gone. Sure, we could always sign a defenseman since the FA market is deep, but it doesn't mean Smith will go for little in return.

Old
07-16-2005, 01:15 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Good luck on that one. There are better players than Smith available via UFA who won't be making a whole lot more money.

Old
07-16-2005, 07:24 PM
OILBEEF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Good luck on that one. There are better players than Smith available via UFA who won't be making a whole lot more money.
That picture suits you well!

Old
07-16-2005, 07:26 PM
Bruins4Ever

Quote:
Smith alone isn't worth a 1st rounder IMO. Maybe a high second round pick at most. To throw in Stuart, you'd probably have to throw in York or Torres.

Old
07-17-2005, 12:33 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
while i like smith... i wouldn't move a chip like stuart AND a 1st rounder for him.
Greg deVries makes a similar amount of money. Ottawa's defensive depth and RFA's (Hossa, Havlat, Spezza) make him a potential buyout candidate.

If I were the GM, he could be had for Mark Stuart's left skate.

Old
07-17-2005, 09:07 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
anything involving Cole would likely be centered around Stuart, and I'm not sure if that's a deal Boston wants to make unless they luck out in the lottery and are able to pick up one of Johnson or Staal.

Old
07-17-2005, 09:29 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
LOL!

Old
07-18-2005, 03:38 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
I see some are still placing a over-value on Eric Cole.

Closed Thread