HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ready vs. Keane

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2003, 12:42 AM
orcatown

vCash: 500
Ready vs. Keane

Fact that Ready is still up tells me the Canucks are still considering him for spot duty in Vancouver. I think the choice may come down to him or Keane. Ready has youth on his side and maybe a little more offensive potential. Keane is (or, perhaps was) the better skater and has that Championship experience. I think this will play itself out in the next couple of games. If the Canucks consider Ready ready (no pun intended) then I think Keane is looking to fillout his retirement papers.

Old
09-30-2003, 12:52 AM
cyrisweb

Everyone I've talked to outside of these forums seems to think that signing Keane would be a great move. Is Keane really good defensively? Otherwise I don't see the point. Ready has put in time with the Moose and been pretty successfull. I'd like to see him rewarded.

Old
09-30-2003, 01:00 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown
Fact that Ready is still up tells me the Canucks are still considering him for spot duty in Vancouver. I think the choice may come down to him or Keane. Ready has youth on his side and maybe a little more offensive potential. Keane is (or, perhaps was) the better skater and has that Championship experience. I think this will play itself out in the next couple of games. If the Canucks consider Ready ready (no pun intended) then I think Keane is looking to fillout his retirement papers.
Ready has *zero* NHL games in four years as a pro. Despite being one of the best Moose last year, and numerous folks around him getting call ups, he was never chosen. Did something magical happen to his talent level over the summer? I highly doubt it. I think they're just being nice to him and letting him have an extended stay.

If Keane is just too far gone to make it, then it'll be Golden Boy Kesler.

Old
09-30-2003, 02:17 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
If Keane is just too far gone to make it, then it'll be Golden Boy Kesler.
I doubt the Canucks keep Kesler up as the 13th forward though. He'll either get regular ice-time as the 4th line center/RW(he'd have to beat out 2 of Lindgren, May, Ruutu) or he'll get 15-20 min/game in Manitoba. If Lindgren or Ruutu are claimed in the waiver draft, then I could see Kesler sticking with the team, otherwise, I personally see him being sent back down in the near future. Having him sit in the pressbox does him no good...

Old
09-30-2003, 09:57 PM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
I'm not sold on either of those guys...

Just keep Lindgren, May, and Ruutu around.

I assumed May was retained to replace Langdon as the 4th line goon. May may not fight as well, but he can actually PLAY HOCKEY.

Old
10-01-2003, 03:52 AM
ZombieMatt

I don't think it's really all the inconceivable that Ryan Ready starts the year with the Canucks, or gets called up shortly after the start of the year if it's necessary for him to be sent down in some sort of waiver protection scheme.

Reports seem to suggest that Ready has played extremely well, and has clicked with the Sedins at times. I mean who knows, perhaps our Sedins solution was sitting in Manitoba all along?

Perhaps I'm just hopeful, but I wouldn't mind seeing what Ready can do at this stage in his career...nothing wrong with gauging the talent early is there?

Old
10-01-2003, 09:02 AM
Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecca13
I'm not a fan of Ready at all. This guy has career minor-leaguer written all over him. He'll be at best a fourth liner and May, Lindgren, and Ruutu are all better than him. King would be a lot better fit. After all, we need scoring not more defensive checking wingers.
Still, Ready is not a bad choice... He's a young guy who still has the upside to bring some energy to the 4th line as the 13th/14th forward that gets inserted occasionally... While at the same time, you don't worry much about stunting his development by having him warm the bench most nights, like you would with Kesler or King. IMO, if it's not Keane, then it should be Ready and Kesler and King should be sent down and only called up for brief stints or when we are ready to give them a real shot, but not as the extra guy who doesn't see much action.

Old
10-01-2003, 03:54 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
How can they cut King when he is outshining everybody and making the Sedins' line click?

Old
10-01-2003, 04:02 PM
Jewelly

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan
How can they cut King when he is outshining everybody and making the Sedins' line click?
That's pretty much what Shorty said too: "I think we have a line."

Question: If Keane isn't signed by the Canucks... what happens to him?

Old
10-01-2003, 04:07 PM
TonyTanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelly
That's pretty much what Shorty said too: "I think we have a line."

Question: If Keane isn't signed by the Canucks... what happens to him?
He's a UFA, same as he was before he showed up for the tryout. I assume the only cost to the Nucks is some form of injury insurance although Keane may have had to buy that himself.

Old
10-01-2003, 04:09 PM
TonyTanti

Quote:
My guess is that he wasn't going to get regular minutes for the big club so he's far better off playing 1st line minutes in Manitoba.

Personally, Linden is the guy I want with the twins anyway. They can cycle through the corner and he still has the hands to go to the front and finish to the tune of 20 - 25 goals imo.

Old
10-01-2003, 04:16 PM
Fedz

AT the moment...Keane...although Ready is making a push!

Old
10-01-2003, 06:12 PM
SopelFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTanti
My guess is that he wasn't going to get regular minutes for the big club so he's far better off playing 1st line minutes in Manitoba.

Personally, Linden is the guy I want with the twins anyway. They can cycle through the corner and he still has the hands to go to the front and finish to the tune of 20 - 25 goals imo.
But if the Sedins and King continue to impress.. you can't break them up. It would be stupid.

Old
10-01-2003, 06:15 PM
nucks2001

vCash:
Quote:
But if the Sedins and King continue to impress.. you can't break them up. It would be stupid.
If you put King in the lineup though you either scratch May which would be one expensive press box sitter and would hurt our toughness or Ruutu who I think is vital to the team at this point. He has Esa Tikanen written all over him.

Old
10-01-2003, 06:52 PM
SopelFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks2001
If you put King in the lineup though you either scratch May which would be one expensive press box sitter and would hurt our toughness or Ruutu who I think is vital to the team at this point. He has Esa Tikanen written all over him.
May and Ruutu could switch in and out.

Closed Thread