HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should the Wild consider going after Vanek?

View Poll Results: Should we try and sign Vanek next year?
Yes, absolutely. We need him. 20 19.80%
Yes, it couldn't hurt. 51 50.50%
No, doesn't matter. 19 18.81%
No way, he wouldn't even fit in our lineup. 11 10.89%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-28-2013, 03:51 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 133
Somebody posted this over on the Trade Rumors and Signings Board. I found this piece by the Sabres beat writer to be very interesting:

Quote:
Thomas Vanek could have been paid handsomely to stay in Buffalo. A source, in fact, says the Sabres were willing to make him the highest-paid player in the NHL.
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/

This tells me that it's not all about the benjamins with Vanek...and could fuel the "Vanek to Minnesota" fire even more than it has been already. This should also make Isles fans nervous about the odds of him re-signing there. They will need to prove to him that the Isles are closer to winning it all then other teams he might want to consider next summer.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 04:37 PM
Nino Noderreiter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Somebody posted this over on the Trade Rumors and Signings Board. I found this piece by the Sabres beat writer to be very interesting:

This tells me that it's not all about the benjamins with Vanek...and could fuel the "Vanek to Minnesota" fire even more than it has been already. This should also make Isles fans nervous about the odds of him re-signing there. They will need to prove to him that the Isles are closer to winning it all then other teams he might want to consider next summer.
To me that says that Vanek is at a point in his life/career where he wants to be on a contender. If the Islanders show that they are that...it could very well mean that Vanek stays in New York because I think Vanek and Tavares could really be something pretty special.

If Vanek hits the open market and the Wild decide that he is the player they want/need to get...than I do think that he comes here. Although, it is a very real possibility that the Wild management decide that they want to spend that chunk of cash either on defense or on a goalie or go in a different route.

Nino Noderreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 04:38 PM
AKL
Down With Yeobots

vCash: 50
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwInS1095 View Post
To me that says that Vanek is at a point in his life/career where he wants to be on a contender. If the Islanders show that they are that...it could very well mean that Vanek stays in New York because I think Vanek and Tavares could really be something pretty special.
More than that, it shows what we already knew before the quote was released: He doesn't want to be part of a rebuild.

AKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 04:56 PM
Nino Noderreiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKL View Post
More than that, it shows what we already knew before the quote was released: He doesn't want to be part of a rebuild.
Exactly. I'm not sure how much more needs to be said about this subject. I think Russo has stressed that the Wild were NEVER going to trade for Vanek. If Vanek is coming here, he is coming here through free agency and more than that he is coming here because the Wild decide that they need scoring over defense and or goaltending.

Heatley will be gone. We know that. The rest will depend on the development of the kids. (Coyle, Nino, Granlund, and to a lesser extent Fontaine, Zucker, Bulmer, Phillips, Haula, etc. )

The main issue is, as people have brought up, the Wild forwards consist of players that are either just breaking it into the league and 22ish...or players that are at the end of their prime(s)--relatively--in Mikko, Pominville, Parise, Brodziak, etc.

And with that...the Wild probably don't want to tie too much $$$ in those guys that are getting a little bit up there in age, especially with all of these other young forwards coming into their 2nd contracts.

It all depends on the development of our guys.

It's also important to think about the fact that Coyle can play center. Maybe by the offseason the wild are thinking they want to roll with something like...

Parise-Koivu-X
X-Granlund-Pominville
Cooke-Coyle-X
X-Brodz-X

Obviously we have pieces like Zucker, Nino, Fontaine, etc. to fill some of those slots. I mean it would look pretty damn sexy to stick Fontaine on the 4th line with Mitchell...Zucker with Granlund and Pominville...and Nino up with Mikko and Zach...I am just rambling now, but the point I am trying to make is that there are just too many variables to say anything other than, Yes, it is a possibility that Vanek comes here, but it's really too early to say with too many moving parts involved.

Old
10-28-2013, 04:56 PM
DANOZ28

Quote:

if anybody finds an article from the NYI explaining to their fans why they did this trade please post, i would like to read it. thx in adv!

DANOZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 05:00 PM
Nino Noderreiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANOZ28 View Post
if anybody finds an article from the NYI explaining to their fans why they did this trade please post, i would like to read it. thx in adv!
I haven't read too much on it, but from what I gather...

The Islanders owner thinks his team can contend. They have started off slightly slower than expected. Vanek pushes them in the right direction now.

Secondly, a main gripe from fans is that the FO has never surrounded Vanek with any true top line guys. This gives them that guy.

Third, the Islanders have a lot of prospect depth/young guys that they think will be fits on the team in the next few years. Hence, they could afford to give up draft picks because they have drafted well. Similiar to the Pominville trade...we could afford to give up those draft picks because we are already overflowing with guys that we felt have a future on the team.

Old
10-28-2013, 05:23 PM
vtm26

Off the ice Vanek is a very quiet, humble, down to earth family man. I'm from his hometown and have followed his career since he hit the NHL. He has clarified that money isn't an issue for him. He's 30 in 2014 and he just wants the Cup now. If he thinks Minnesota are Cup material in the next 5 years and the Wild want him, he will sign there. That's a given. He will definitely settle down in Minnesota when he retires from hockey, no matter if he plays for the Wild or not. So that's a big factor too.

Quotes from his manager Herwig Straka, May 2013

Quote:
"Geld ist nicht die Priorität eins, sondern ein starkes Team. Nur wegen des Geldes wird er sicher nirgends hingehen. Er hat dann die große Chance, zu einem Top-Team zu kommen. Er ist eine Riesennummer, er ist weltweit einer der Topspieler", betonte Straka.
Quote:
"Money is not the priority, but a strong team. He won't go anywhere just because of the money. He then (when his contract expires) has the great opportunity to join a top team. He is a big number, one of the top players in the world" emphasized Straka.
Quote:
"Er hat ein einziges Ziel in seinem Leben, das ist der Stanley Cup. Die nächste Entscheidung wird nicht vorrangig von Geld getrieben sein, sondern von einer leistungsfähigen, starken Mannschaft, die es zur Zeit oder zumindest in letzten zwei Jahren in Buffalo nicht gegeben hat", sagte Straka.
Quote:
He has one goal in his life, that is the Stanley Cup. The next decision will not be primarily driven by money. He wants to be part of a capable, strong team which wasn't the case in Buffalo in the last two years" Straka said.
My translation is a bit shaky though.

vtm26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 05:33 PM
Nino Noderreiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtm26 View Post
Off the ice Vanek is a very quiet, humble, down to earth family man. I'm from his hometown and have followed his career since he hit the NHL. He has clarified that money isn't an issue for him. He's 30 in 2014 and he just wants the Cup now. If he thinks Minnesota are Cup material in the next 5 years and the Wild want him, he will sign there. That's a given. He will definitely settle down in Minnesota when he retires from hockey, no matter if he plays for the Wild or not. So that's a big factor too.

Quotes from his manager Herwig Straka, May 2013

My translation is a bit shaky though.

Thank you for this.

Old
10-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's a question of whether he's going to go for max money or the best chance to win. If he wants the money, he'll take a 7-8 year deal. If he wants to win, he might only do 2-3 years so he isn't stuck on a team long term.

Really for Buffalo it's a great trade. 1st + 2nd + Moulson who they will probably flip for a 1st. Essentially getting two 1sts and a 2nd for a pending UFA.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 07:08 PM
Avder
Reliable NonSequitur

vCash: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisinroch View Post
I agree that he will likely be overpaid. Snow gave up so much, he really has to make a huge effort to re-sign Vanek. He's gonna throw a huge 7 year deal at him and that will establish somewhat of a floor. Even a "home town discount" will be a huge deal.
Can't the Islanders offer him an 8 year deal?

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 10:57 AM
BigT2002

A lot of players are getting increases next year. I'm all for it, but I don't want to be the 2010 Hawks and have to blow up the depth in order to keep the core.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:04 AM
Ladde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Can't the Islanders offer him an 8 year deal?
I believe the player has to be drafted by the team or be a RFA to be able to offer a 8 year deal. I am not sure on this but one thing that I do know is Vanek can only get 7 years on his next deal.

Ladde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:18 AM
Nothingman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladde View Post
I believe the player has to be drafted by the team or be a RFA to be able to offer a 8 year deal. I am not sure on this but one thing that I do know is Vanek can only get 7 years on his next deal.
He has to play the full season with the team he is with to get the extra year. So he will not be eligible for an extra year with the Isle.

Nothingman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 05:13 PM
Mancini79

Send a message via MSN to Mancini79 Send a message via Yahoo to Mancini79
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Sure I want a #3 Dman as much as the next guy, but you develop those guys, not sign them at free agency. 5 million for for a guy who is third fiddle would hurt this team more long term than Vanek at 6 million.

Sad but true.
Well said, but what's the highest the Wild would be willing to go? He's gonna be offered more money by a lot of clubs, some of which could be contenders too. I think it's like my opinion of Parise and Suter in the sense that if he hasn't already made up his mind (in his mind) to come here, he won't. We won't pay as much as some other clubs might. At least I don't think we should.

Mancini79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 05:16 PM
Nharris31

Here's what Russo thinks http://www.kfan.com/media/podcast-pa...-box-23882579/

Nharris31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 06:08 PM
Billy Mays Here
Looking For a Job

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nharris31 View Post
Thank you for posting something we already heard over five days ago.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 06:10 PM
Nharris31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mays Here View Post
Well it was just on the radio today

Nharris31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 06:46 PM
J22*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
A lot of players are getting increases next year. I'm all for it, but I don't want to be the 2010 Hawks and have to blow up the depth in order to keep the core.
That core has won 2 cups in 4 years and are set to be serious contenders for a while. I would gladly dump any/all of the promising young guys if it meant being in that situation.

J22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 07:45 PM
OpRedDawn*

Quote:
you gotta click the correct one on the right side

OpRedDawn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

Could someone photoshop Nordymacklemore going to a thrift shop to buy a Vanek jersey? Maybe with Nino and Spurgs

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 08:10 PM
BagHead

Quote:
Also, harsh! I hadn't heard it (yes, even this long after the fact), so thank you, Nharris.

BagHead is offline   Reply With Quote