HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres will be on MSG

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2005, 09:22 AM
Tra La La

vCash: 500
Sabres will be on MSG

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...16/1056548.asp

Quote:
By ALAN PERGAMENT

7/16/2005

The only things certain about the Buffalo Sabres broadcast plans this coming season are that Rick Jeanneret will return as play-by-play man and Jim Lorentz as analyst and the games will be carried on MSG and WGR-AM.

Quinn would like to get some Sabres games into Canada, which would require him to make a deal with a local broadcast affiliate.

"I haven't given up on the idea we'll be on in Canada," said Quinn.

Jim Toellner, the Channel 2 general manager, said the station would be interested in carrying games once the schedule comes out. The station carried one afternoon game during the 2003-2004 season.

"With NBC's new commitment to hockey, it would be a good, natural synergy for us," said Toellner.

Old
07-16-2005, 09:33 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

and if the rangers are on that night, the Sabres just won't be televised anywhere?

BULL

Gaaaahbage

Old
07-16-2005, 09:37 AM
Tra La La

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuddy27
and if the rangers are on that night, the Sabres just won't be televised anywhere?

BULL

Gaaaahbage

Not in Sabres prescribed Territory. Buffalo,Rochester,......

No Rangers games in Sabres Territory. Blackout remains.

Old
07-16-2005, 09:43 AM
Slangston
Justin Bailey

Send a message via Skype™ to Slangston
I see Mr. Pergament couldn't resist taking another shot at WGR 550.

Old
07-16-2005, 09:46 AM
Tra La La

As a Side note. That Means MSG has 6 Balls(?)in the Crosby Lottery?

Old
07-16-2005, 10:02 AM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
They at least need to put Roby on the radio. Bring back Blessing to partner up with him and I'll be listening. I wasn't a fan of Mora's presense on HH at all. It didn't work IMO. I remember him trying to use the telestrator and making zero sense at all. They should try to hook Roby & Brian up again and give them an hour on WGR for a post-game show.

Old
07-16-2005, 10:15 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuddy27

BULL

Gaaaahbage

I would think MSG would be put on regional coverage. Although I obviously wouldn't know, I only clicked here for the scoop but that's my guess

Old
07-16-2005, 10:18 AM
Slangston
Justin Bailey

Send a message via Skype™ to Slangston
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
They at least need to put Roby on the radio. Bring back Blessing to partner up with him and I'll be listening. I wasn't a fan of Mora's presense on HH at all. It didn't work IMO. I remember him trying to use the telestrator and making zero sense at all. They should try to hook Roby & Brian up again and give them an hour on WGR for a post-game show.
Hopefully MSG will be grateful enough to give the Sabres at least an half hour of air time after the game. As much as I liked Josh Mora, he and Roby didn't make that good of a team. Nobody can get under Roby's skin the way Brian Blessing can...It's a natural fit. Maybe they can put together an hour post game show with the first half being simulcasted and the second on radio only. Remember when there used to be an hour and a half of hockey hotline after the games? Boy I miss those days.

Old
07-16-2005, 11:04 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
It sounds like great news i guess, im still a little confused about how Sabres and Rangers games are gonna be televised the same time and the whole black out rule...

Old
07-16-2005, 11:23 AM
Hobey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY
It sounds like great news i guess, im still a little confused about how Sabres and Rangers games are gonna be televised the same time and the whole black out rule...
I think Sabres markets (Buffalo, Rochester, and perhaps parts of CNY) will get the Sabres broadcast and NYR live feeds are blacked out, and vice versa. Of course, we all have the option of getting the Center Ice package and not having to worry too much about this other crap...

Old
07-16-2005, 11:31 AM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Oh man, living in Auburn (pretty much right between Syracuse and Rochester) might make this interesting with Rangers games :\ and blackouts.

I'll die if they don't show at least 70+ games this season.

Old
07-16-2005, 11:43 AM
SkateLikeTheWind

Has anybody ever noticed the programming that MSG lists should be on is never on. Say at 7 pm Adelphia says it should be a Rangers classics game, yet they are showing some other garbage.

They better get this straightened out. I better not tune into a Sabres game and find a game of no limit holding being shown.

Old
07-16-2005, 11:46 AM
Rhett4
Murray's Four Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherous
Oh man, living in Auburn (pretty much right between Syracuse and Rochester) might make this interesting with Rangers games :\ and blackouts.

I'll die if they don't show at least 70+ games this season.
Aye, I just moved from Rochester to Syracuse, and I am sure hoping we count as being in the region. I want my Sabres!

Old
07-16-2005, 12:37 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

If MSG is going to go by the same type of schedule as it does with the Rangers for you guys (Sabres) then you'll probablly be getting 75 games with them (Some go to ABC and some went to ESPN last year). They give you a 30 min game preview and give you a short recap after the game.

Old
07-16-2005, 12:43 PM
Tra La La

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateLikeTheWind
Has anybody ever noticed the programming that MSG lists should be on is never on. Say at 7 pm Adelphia says it should be a Rangers classics game, yet they are showing some other garbage.

They better get this straightened out. I better not tune into a Sabres game and find a game of no limit holding being shown.

I assume it's the Blackout rule being applied to Rangers Classics.

Old
07-16-2005, 06:24 PM
Satan81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4
Aye, I just moved from Rochester to Syracuse, and I am sure hoping we count as being in the region. I want my Sabres!
Bad move my friend. J/K Where 'bout's? I can't wait to get out and go to Buffalo or Rochester.

Question: Here in Syracuse, when the Sabres were on Empire I saw the Sabres here in Syracuse. When the Rangers are on MSG, I also see the Rangers. If the Sabres are on regionally in Sabres territory, does that mean I will see the Rangers instead of the Sabres here in Syracuse if they're both on MSG? I will most likely get NHL Center Ice, but most of the Sabres games are on the other teams feed.

Old
07-16-2005, 06:53 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan81
Bad move my friend. J/K Where 'bout's? I can't wait to get out and go to Buffalo or Rochester.

Question: Here in Syracuse, when the Sabres were on Empire I saw the Sabres here in Syracuse. When the Rangers are on MSG, I also see the Rangers. If the Sabres are on regionally in Sabres territory, does that mean I will see the Rangers instead of the Sabres here in Syracuse if they're both on MSG? I will most likely get NHL Center Ice, but most of the Sabres games are on the other teams feed.
The local broadcast rights in Central NY aren't owned by any team so it's at the discretion of your cable provider. In other words they'll do whatever they think will generate the most revenue.

Old
07-16-2005, 07:57 PM
jpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
The local broadcast rights in Central NY aren't owned by any team so it's at the discretion of your cable provider. In other words they'll do whatever they think will generate the most revenue.
Yeah, I kinda figured the Syracuse market would get hosed on the MSG deal. I suppose I'd better resign myself to having to get centre ice. Bastages.

Old
07-16-2005, 08:50 PM
Satan81

Quote:
But most likely it'll be Rangers because that's what it normally is. They probably will put the Sabres on in areas of WNY where the Rangers are blacked out - Buffalo, Rochester.

Southern Ontario doesn't get MSG, right? Larry Quinn said he'd be trying to get it into S. Ontario, but how?

Old
07-16-2005, 08:52 PM
Hobey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan81
Southern Ontario doesn't get MSG, right? Larry Quinn said he'd be trying to get it into S. Ontario, but how?
Most likely a local station like the NBC affiliate (WGRZ, Channel 2).

Old
07-16-2005, 09:39 PM
Rowley Birkin

well, living in the UK i don't get to see the Sabres much on TV, but the radio commentry is a godsend. I sure hope we get that service back with Rick on the mic. I was disappointed to see the Empire/WNSA thing not happen, because i always thought they did a great job.

What are the chances that the Sabres get some kind of a deal with bigger national broadcasters, Fox, ESPN, TSN etc.? Being a small market team, things haven't been great in the past, but new CBA, a new start and all that..? or is it just wishful thinking on my behalf.

Old
07-16-2005, 09:45 PM
Hobey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin
well, living in the UK i don't get to see the Sabres much on TV, but the radio commentry is a godsend. I sure hope we get that service back with Rick on the mic. I was disappointed to see the Empire/WNSA thing not happen, because i always thought they did a great job.

What are the chances that the Sabres get some kind of a deal with bigger national broadcasters, Fox, ESPN, TSN etc.? Being a small market team, things haven't been great in the past, but new CBA, a new start and all that..? or is it just wishful thinking on my behalf.
It's just wishful thinking on your behalf.
National networks will make a deal with the league as a whole, not with a single team (unless they are named Notre Dame). The Sabres need to hook up with a regional cable outfit, or a local network affiliate. I wonder if that WNLO (or whatever WIVB's "sister" station is) would pick them up if a deal with WGRZ falls through. They could certainly broadcast the games and hockey hotline, too. They do early news at 10:00, but the Sabres would give them serious ratings and ad revenue.

Old
07-16-2005, 11:14 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
I think Sabres markets (Buffalo, Rochester, and perhaps parts of CNY) will get the Sabres broadcast and NYR live feeds are blacked out, and vice versa. Of course, we all have the option of getting the Center Ice package and not having to worry too much about this other crap...
Thanks, that actually clears things up a lil bit for me.

Some info I havent seen being tossed around here, according to the Edmonton Sun, the NHL is gonna release the schedules for 2005-2006 on Jully 21st or July 22nd...

Oh boy am i getting excited, really looking forward to that 1st game thread...

Old
07-16-2005, 11:16 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2635
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
It's just wishful thinking on your behalf.
National networks will make a deal with the league as a whole, not with a single team (unless they are named Notre Dame).
You keep forgetting that the Sabres are going to get the no 1 pick. Crosby should be good for at least 6 games on national tv if he pans out.

Old
07-17-2005, 12:01 AM
Hobey Baker

Quote:
You keep forgetting that the Sabres are going to get the no 1 pick. Crosby should be good for at least 6 games on national tv if he pans out.
The way everyone talks about the kid around here, I'm starting to think that Crosby will get his own network.

Closed Thread