HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Highest trade value: Plekanec vs. Markov

View Poll Results: Which has the highest trade value?
Plekanec 82 81.19%
Markov 14 13.86%
Equal Value 5 4.95%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-14-2013, 12:11 PM
PricePkPatch*

vCash: 500
Highest trade value: Plekanec vs. Markov

I was wondering, between these two team pillars, which of the two would have the highest potential trade value?

PricePkPatch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 12:14 PM
Issacar

I'm not trading eitehr, so tehir market value is entirelly irrelevant.

Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 12:16 PM
PunkinDrublic*

We need a defenseman and you want to trade our number 2...

And trade Pleks so we can have more DD....

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 12:16 PM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issacar View Post
I'm not trading eitehr, so tehir market value is entirelly irrelevant.
Thank you, don't post here again.

It's not a discussion of which we are going to trade. I am discussing trade value; nothing else.

Old
10-14-2013, 12:17 PM
Maitz

vCash: 1175
If it's sure that we don't make the playoffs by the deadline I'd be willing to trade Pleky. He will fetch more than Markov that's for sure. You'll probably get a 1st pick and a good prospect for him.

Maitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 12:17 PM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakaar10iemechx2012 View Post
We need a defenseman and you want to trade our number 2...

And trade Pleks so we can have more DD....
Jesus, people. This is just a discussion of trade value; not an argument of "which we should trade". Don't read anything more than what's written there:

WHICH HAS HIGHEST TRADE VALUE

Nothing more.

Old
10-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Et le But

Both have NTCs which means you aren't moving them to get high draft picks, sorry.

Markov has the expiring contract thing going for him, Plekanec has the younger and relatively good contract thing going for him.

The thing is more teams know they need a PP QB than a jack of all trades forward, so more teams would likely inquire about Markov.

Trading neither one of them is a priority.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 12:21 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Jesus, people. This is just a discussion of trade value; not an argument of "which we should trade". Don't read anything more than what's written there:

WHICH HAS HIGHEST TRADE VALUE

Nothing more.
LOL so we must say who has the highest trade value but won't be trading them right ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 12:23 PM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
LOL so we must say who has the highest trade value but won't be trading them right ?
Yes. Is that so ****ing hard to get into your head?

It's hypothetical talk. I was trying to get a measure of either player's value; a rough benchmark so I can better assess trade value while discussing proposals.

Old
10-14-2013, 12:26 PM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
ideally, you PM him and he reply to you with the exact words for you to post here

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Et le But

Avoid the name calling please.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 12:29 PM
goalchenyuk

Plekanec is younger and signed for few seasons so i think he has better value

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Price My Man Crush

Trading one of them or even both of them would be a terrible idea. I'm happy that some people on this board will never work in any NHL organization...

But Plekanec has the highest trade value just because he avoided being injured during his career.

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 01:10 PM
MXD

At deadline? Markov.

Expiring contract + Can be exactly what a team could be looking for, more than Plekanec who's more a jack-of-all-trades.

In absolute terms? IMO, Plekanec.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 04:05 PM
snakeye

Markov, but it's close. Top pairing offensive defenseman vs versatile defensive center. It all depends what a team would need.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 04:09 PM
vokiel
#FireBergerrien

vCash: 50
The only way this is even a contest is if we're several hours away from the trade deadline and Markov is still healthy kicking tires, otherwise Plekanec is far more valuable imho.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 05:10 PM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Thank you, don't post here again.

It's not a discussion of which we are going to trade. I am discussing trade value; nothing else.
The issue, however, is that when you discuss trade value people naturally assume your opinion is that you'd like to see one or both go. This fanbase is brutally fickle, and frankly, threads like this don't help.

If we are to win a cup in the near future both these players will play an integral role. They are not franchise players and no team is liable to trade an elite player for either of them, therefore their relative trade value is irrelevant. It's also a pretty obvious answer for anyone who knows the game. Markov is in his twilight and has injury history, while Plekanec is one of the best 2 way centres in the game on a decent contract. It looks like you're trying to find allies who want to trade them in the hopes another player you place more value on might be available. Furthermore by trading one or both of these players to address a weakness in the lineup you create a different weakness.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Darth Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
At deadline? Markov.

Expiring contract + Can be exactly what a team could be looking for, more than Plekanec who's more a jack-of-all-trades.

In absolute terms? IMO, Plekanec.
Agreed.

Markov gets you more in a seller trade for futures (draft picks, prospects, young unproven roster players). Pleks gets you more in a lateral move (established NHLer for established NHLer).

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Markov was 4th in pts and 2nd in PP pts last year. He can still log on big minutes.

It's impossible for us to know who really has more value as it is dictated by demand.

However, Dmen are usually more valuable, especially good PMDs. So Markov it is.

Not sure what anybody here is talking about. Being on your last contract here doesn't increase your value.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:16 PM
attachetatuque
un gros bonhomme!

To me, Markov is over-rated. Yes, he is a serious threat on the PP, but apart from that...average defensively, below average speed, well below average physicality and has what? 2 years left in the tank MAXIMUM.

Plekanec, on the other hand...one of my favorite players. Solid two way forward, got grit, good skater, smart. Maybe not the best playoff performer but I would never trade him, and I bet you every single team in the league would love to have him. Probably the best 2nd line center in the league. People hate on him because he has basically been our only good centerman for years and has been taking too much responsibility, but that's about to change...

attachetatuque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:24 PM
habsfanatics*

I love Pleks, but I gotta go with Markov here. The only thing that makes this close is Markov's injury history imo.

habsfanatics* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:34 PM
lou4gehrig

I'd trade (not dump) both. We're winning because of EGG, MaxPac, PK. Plek, Gionta, Briere, Markov are all secondary players now and any sane GM should entertain good offers for them.

Reality is our cup window isn't open now. It might be soon. Any stud top 6 winger or top 4 available should be considered, no doubt.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Dr_Hook

Depends what kind of trade you're looking for :

* If you're looking for an asset that can help right now at another position (Dman?), it's probably Plekanec, cause as the others pointed out he's younger, healthier and signed to a decent cap hit for 2 more yrs.

* If you're looking to deal for futures, closer to the deadline, I'd guess Markov could fetch a 1st + a pretty decent prospect ; even more if he's having a good season by then. But a team on the market for a rental won't part with a legit NHL asset.

So I guess the question would have to be mirrored back to you : what do you value more : good NHL asset or greater potential in the form of prospects ?

Personnal side-note : it's unlikely but possible that we may trade Markov if MB determins that we won't re-sign him ; and I would like him to ! But I can't see a scenario where we'd trade Plekanec cause we have absolutely nobody to replace him : Desharnais looks horrible, so does Brière ; no credible center prospect in the system... So there, my 2 cents.

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:45 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Both have NTCs which means you aren't moving them to get high draft picks, sorry.

Markov has the expiring contract thing going for him, Plekanec has the younger and relatively good contract thing going for him.

The thing is more teams know they need a PP QB than a jack of all trades forward, so more teams would likely inquire about Markov.

Trading neither one of them is a priority.
This is done every year by multiple teams and multiple players. Let's make arguments using facts shall we?

Plekanec edges out Markov a little bit at this point in value. However I could see Markov being sold for more in specific situations.

Last edited by SOLR: 10-14-2013 at 07:02 PM.
SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:59 PM
AcadiaAxeMan

Send a message via MSN to AcadiaAxeMan Send a message via Yahoo to AcadiaAxeMan
Plekanecs is a valuable C in the NHL - plays both ends well - puck persuit is excellent - hockey IQ excellent. He's a difference maker with good wingers and defensively responsible with or without decent wingers! He is a piece any winning TEAM needs to WIN! He's almost untouchable in my book, cause I appreciate his game - Bournival will become him in 3-4 years! ....Markov is a rental only for the PP and 5-5 shifts IMHO!

I personally am excited about Deitz, Beaulieu and Nygren, Pateryn coming up in the next few years! (consider Tinordi already here)!

AcadiaAxeMan is offline   Reply With Quote