HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Steen's next contract

Old
10-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Alklha

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Mandelbaum View Post
Other than Stewart, who's really movable? Those are 3 players that will need increases...
Nobody knows. We don't know how our prospects are going to develop and what kind of situation we are going to be in next summer, never mind beyond that.

Jaškin for Stewart looks like it might be a legitimate option next summer to save $3.4m. Elliott, Aucoin and Morrow out with Allen getting promoted saves us a further $3.2m.

Polák could also be deemed moveable next summer, Cole taking his spot and adding a depth guy in the 7 spot. That would save a further $2.1m. That is ~$8.7m.

Looking beyond that (2015/16, when Tarasenko's new deal would kick in) is close to impossible because of the massive list of questions we can't know the answer to. Outside of the NHL we lack any elite prospects, but we have a strong group. In 2 years guys like Rattie, Edmundson and Hakanpää might be forcing their way in. In 3 years is Vannelli or Schmaltz making Shattenkirk a moveable piece? Etc etc.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 12:30 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I'm not down on Stewart like some, but he is the most obvious player to let go to manage the payroll. Tarasenko takes over that role (of maybe he already did) and allow Jaskin/Rattie to have a shot at coming in on the 3rd line. MPS needs to be ready to contribute as a reliable 3rd liner before too long.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 01:29 PM
BlueDream

vCash: 500
Way too early to talk about anyways.

Also Steen is great but he's not better than Backes.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post

This.

I would expect his next contract to be more than Oshie, but less than Backes.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 02:44 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
This.

It isn't that simple. Oshie gets $4.5m for every UFA year he is signed here, Backes is getting $4.75m for the next 3. Steen is clearly better than Oshie, so we should all be expecting more than $4.5m.

Backes is significantly underpaid for what he provides, it isn't realistic to use that as a yardstick for every contract we hand out.

Old
10-15-2013, 03:51 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteenMachine View Post
He's got to stay healthy this season if he's ever going to reach his peak numbers. If he plays less than 70 games I don't think he goes anywhere near $5M since it'll be a recurring issue for him.
This.

And for the Blues sake we all hope Steener stays healthy.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 05:03 PM
superblues
I'm being sarcastic.

Steen's great on the Blues, but it goes without saying that he's on fire right now. I wouldn't throw big money at him because of a hot streak. He's got 2.0 PPG for the season so far, but his career numbers are about 30% of that rate. He won't sustain 2.0, but 0.85 - 1.0 for the season would be enough to earn him a healthy raise in my eyes.

superblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 05:40 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
It isn't that simple. Oshie gets $4.5m for every UFA year he is signed here, Backes is getting $4.75m for the next 3. Steen is clearly better than Oshie, so we should all be expecting more than $4.5m.

Backes is significantly underpaid for what he provides, it isn't realistic to use that as a yardstick for every contract we hand out.
True, I was more directing my post towards another one that said Steen is our best forward. I've seen that here a few times. And he's close, but not quite.

Old
10-15-2013, 06:49 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 1075
Quote:

Honestly, I disagree. I think Backes has more value, but Steen's consistency and overall presence on the ice is unmatched. I know I'm in the minority here.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 06:52 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daley Tarasenkshow View Post
Honestly, I disagree. I think Backes has more value, but Steen's consistency and overall presence on the ice is unmatched. I know I'm in the minority here.
They are very very close and provide a lot of the same skills. However, I think Backes has a couple advantages:

- Physicality
- Durability (this is a big one to me)
- Better on faceoffs

Also, Backes has scored 30 goals, but they are both pretty good offensively.

Old
10-15-2013, 07:02 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 1075
Quote:
They are very very close and provide a lot of the same skills. However, I think Backes has a couple advantages:

- Physicality
- Better on faceoffs

It honestly is very close. But I think steen offers more consistency (when healthy) and I think he brings better passing and just overall makes the players around him better.

Again, it's very, very close.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 03:43 AM
Steenalizer
Slingshot Engage.

vCash: 915
Hopefully we can keep Steen around for a long long time.

Steenalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 01:04 PM
BlueDream

Steen is more consistent, I would agree with that.

It does impress me how durable Backes is with his style though. Steen hasn't been as fortunate in that aspect.

Old
10-17-2013, 01:33 PM
Vladys Gumption

Honestly, I think sometimes we take for granted how lucky we are to have both Backes and Steen. I'm sure just about every team would kill to have that combo.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 01:28 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post

This is why I would make Oshie the odd man out. I know he is a fan favorite, but he is also a playoff disappearing act. Hopefully, he has a career year. Trade him before the playoffs.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 01:59 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
This is why I would make Oshie the odd man out. I know he is a fan favorite, but he is also a playoff disappearing act. Hopefully, he has a career year. Trade him before the playoffs.
not saying you are wrong but if there isn`t a real superstaresque upgrade available I highly doubt Oshie leaves before the POs...and rightfully so.

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 02:20 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 1111
Although I wish I could give him a little more speed, I just don't see him as the odd man out when it comes to Steen's contract.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 05:19 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:

- Physicality
- Better on faceoffs

Except that Backes' 30 goals are a farce, the guy is barely a 25 goal scorer when you cut out all his empty net scoring. I love Backes, but I'm willing to admit he's not a legit 30 goal scorer and has never played like one in the first half of a season. If our PP actually stays hot then maybe he lives up to that.

Otherwise Steen is a much better point producer, is a PP QB, can play any role on the team (positional; I certainly don't want him taking faceoffs), doesn't take bad penalties, kills most of Backes' bad penalties, does well with breakaways, takeaways, can cycle, forecheck, and backcheck as well as anyone on the roster.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 06:10 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
Unless we are getting Vanek then Oshie won't be going anywhere. He has just got the A and he fits the teams style perfectly.

He's not played well in the playoffs, but discounting last season when he shouldn't have been playing, that is 3 series' and 2 of them we were owned. I'm not the biggest fan of Oshie, I wouldn't be against trading him but no way I see us shipping him out before Stewart.

Quote:
Except that Backes' 30 goals are a farce, the guy is barely a 25 goal scorer when you cut out all his empty net scoring. I love Backes, but I'm willing to admit he's not a legit 30 goal scorer and has never played like one in the first half of a season. If our PP actually stays hot then maybe he lives up to that.

Otherwise Steen is a much better point producer, is a PP QB, can play any role on the team (positional; I certainly don't want him taking faceoffs), doesn't take bad penalties, kills most of Backes' bad penalties, does well with breakaways, takeaways, can cycle, forecheck, and backcheck as well as anyone on the roster.
Let's be fair, Backes has had 2 seasons with 31 goals and had 1 & 3 ENGs in those years. He was really disappointing in scoring last season, but he has shown himself capable of getting to around the 30 mark.

Old
10-18-2013, 06:28 PM
BlueDream

Yeah that is ridiculous to discredit Backes' offense because of a few empty netters.

Steen has hit 20 goals twice in his career. Career high is 24.

To say he's a better goal scorer than Backes right now is just not true, no matter how you try to spin it. Plus judging by that guy's username he probably isn't exactly being objective here.

Old
10-18-2013, 06:49 PM
BlueBeard

It depends on how much the cap actually goes up but considering it will be all UFA years for Steen I can see him getting something like 5y/25m. Steen could probably cash in big time(near 6 if the cap goes up enough) on the FA market.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 07:45 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Yeah that is ridiculous to discredit Backes' offense because of a few empty netters.

Steen has hit 20 goals twice in his career. Career high is 24.

To say he's a better goal scorer than Backes right now is just not true, no matter how you try to spin it. Plus judging by that guy's username he probably isn't exactly being objective here.
I said point producer, and if you are willing to ignore Steen being on the third line for most of those seasons, I can ignore Backes using empty netters to break a number barrier. It's word play ffs, should I accuse you of supporting every team that wears blue uniforms, are you representing the crips? No, so relax.

Last edited by SteenMachine: 10-18-2013 at 07:51 PM.
SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 08:56 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
I said point producer, and if you are willing to ignore Steen being on the third line for most of those seasons, I can ignore Backes using empty netters to break a number barrier. It's word play ffs, should I accuse you of supporting every team that wears blue uniforms, are you representing the crips? No, so relax.
Lol...

Even if it's points Backes has still produced more so okay.

Old
10-18-2013, 09:20 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
This.

He's on a pace for 80 goals. I expect an 8-year contract for $13 million per year. A lot more than Backes' current contract, and many, multiple times higher than Oshie's.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
8 points in 4 games? A Selke worthy defensive forward?

Steen is our best forward. If he made it to free agency, he might get David Clarkson money. The ONLY reason he wouldn't is health. If Steen stays healthy this year, though, he'll get a great payday.

The Blues must bring him back. Can't keep a guy like Stewart around and let Steen go. No offense to Stewart but Steen is the ideal fit for Hitchcock's system. You find the money to keep him.

I would hate to lose Stewart. The Blues lack guys who can drop the gloves and also intimidate teams. Losing Stewart would leave only Reaves to fit that role. 25 g scorers who can fight are so important and rare. I only wish Backes could fight.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote