HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steen's next contract

Old
11-15-2013, 08:11 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
There is no way in hell that I imagine Steen looking at a 3 or 4 year contract offer.

If he does have a big year, and considering his play over the course of his time in St. Louis, at 30 I'm sure he'll be looking for term & a NMC.

I don't think the caphit will increase too much if he does manage to somehow end the season as a PPG player, but it will be adding term onto the contract we could have expected a couple of months ago.
I'm all for giving him a long-term contract and NMC.

It's getting closer to the time Steen needs to sign. What if the season ends and he's not signed? If that happens, I think he's testing the market, and I'm scared to think about that. The two sides need to get this done before the olympics and before the Trade deadline and playoff hoopla.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 09:31 AM
bewbies

This is starting to get ridiculous.

If Steener puts up a 40/40 season (which I think is totally within the realm of possibility), that puts his value on the market north of $7mm a year. Do we go that high?

bewbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewbies View Post

If Steener puts up a 40/40 season (which I think is totally within the realm of possibility), that puts his value on the market north of $7mm a year. Do we go that high?
Yes. Yes we do.

Old
11-19-2013, 09:45 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
Only way he gets 7 million is if he keeps up this pace, and even then it's doubtful he gets that. Around 5 years, 5 million per will be what he resigns for. If we here him say he wants to test the market, then things could get interesting.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 10:34 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:

A single 40-40 season doesn't put him in that range. If he is looking for that then he is looking for the most money and he won't be back in St. Louis. That statement is applicable whether or not he puts up a 40-40 year: more money will always be available in UFA.

The longer this goes on then the more likely that he'll be getting the full 8 year contract with a NMC. I'd still expect he'll take closer to $5m than $6m, never mind talking $7m.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 10:59 AM
bewbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
A single 40-40 season doesn't put him in that range.
It does on the market, easily. If we let him hit free agency, do we go $7m+ to keep him?

It would be great if we got a 30% hometown discount but I'm not sure that's realistic.

bewbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 11:33 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

I don't see him getting 7m even if he puts up big points this season.

Old
11-19-2013, 01:18 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
5X5 is plenty for Steen.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 05:19 PM
BlueDream

I would never pay Steen 7 million dollars. Anything under yes, but if he ever asks for that he can **** off. Just my opinion.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 10:42 PM
ejoshie

Steen won't talk

Hockey central tonight - announced he will go on the market in the summer.

Blues wanted to negotiate, agent said nope...

ejoshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 10:48 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejoshie View Post
Steen won't talk

What? Source of some sort?

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 11:01 PM
Thallis
DO I LOOK ANGRY

vCash: 499
Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
Steen won't talk

If true, this means his agent sees dollar signs. I'm inclined to think people will show restraint in giving him a huge contract unless the free agent class is awful like last year.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 11:13 PM
91reasonsYouLose
NHL refs are morons

Quote:
Steen won't talk

Wow, didn't expect that from the type of man Steen seems to be. He is beloved in STL, fans have made him one of their own. I never figured he'd shut the negotiating doors just like that, without even hearing the first proposal.

Has this been confirmed yet?

If it is, do you guys think he should see what kind of game breaker/goal scorer we could get with Alexander as the centerpiece of the deal?

91reasonsYouLose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 11:14 PM
ejoshie

Hockey Central - Rogers Sportnet

Intermission show on Sportsnet games in Western Canada

ejoshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 11:20 PM
tfriede2

Quote:
Steen won't talk

That's misleading. There is a big difference between waiting until the season is over to negotiate and declaring that the player will be hitting the open market, which means that the player rules out the possibility of re-signing with the team after the season but before UFA kicks in.

tfriede2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 11:27 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
They met in the summer and agreed to wait to get a deal done. Why would Armstrong suddenly be in a hurry to try and get a deal done when Steen is in the middle of the hottest streak in his career? He'll wait until his numbers come back down to earth a little before making that call!

Any stories are just "journalists" with nothing to report putting a new spin on an old story.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 09:38 AM
Avengers*

How much will Alex Steen demand for his next contact?

I can see him asking for an 8 year and $52 million dollars deal if he continues on this pace.

Avengers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 09:43 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Not gonna happen. One season doesn't get you a contract. He's still going to be 30, so I don't see the term getting past 5 years, unless there is a decent decline in salary in the later years. If he wants to resign, we'll max out at 5.5 per IMO.

It's going to be fun to go back to all these comments when he eventually slows down or gets hurt later in the season.

Old
11-20-2013, 10:01 AM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

What I read is that he just didn't want to negotiate during the season but wants to stay in STL

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 10:04 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Right. Steen didn't want to negotiate a contract over the summer because he wanted to completely focus on this season. If he or his agent announced that he would be testing the market, it would completely contradict his previous actions.

Old
11-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Thallis
DO I LOOK ANGRY

vCash: 499
Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
It does on the market, easily. If we let him hit free agency, do we go $7m+ to keep him?

It would be great if we got a 30% hometown discount but I'm not sure that's realistic.
It only does if this Free Agent class is weak like last year. The reason people like Clarkson got so much was because there was nobody better to go for. Even if he puts up 40-40 this year, Steen has buyer beware written all over him. I don't think a team will give him that kind of money, nevermind the Blues.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 10:18 AM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengers View Post
I can see him asking for an 8 year and $52 million dollars deal if he continues on this pace.
If he was 25 or 26 you could be right, but because he's going to be 30 and has played in over 500 games before this season, that has shown he's at best a 55 to 60 point guy IF he played a full season, there's no way he should get that much, so he can ask all he wants.

What his history has shown is he's more than likely not going to get to 70 even with this fast start, now I hope I'm wrong and he ends up with 80, but I sure wouldn't expect it.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 10:20 AM
Halak Ness Monster

I said Steen would get David Clarkson money(5.25 mil per year) on page 1. He may be beyond that.

Steen still has to make it through the season healthy. He has been prone to trips to the IR every year he has been in St. Louis.

He also still has to keep up this pace. Although I think it is extremely likely that he will wind up with at least 30 goals and 50-60 points unless he gets hurt.

Add in his defensive ability and he is easily looking at 5 years, 25 million. That is going to be the bare minimum. More than likely you'll see a team with some money give him 7 years and 5.5 million per year.

The Blues can't let Steen go. He is absolutely perfect for this team. You let Chris Stewart and his 3.25 mil go before Steen. You can replace Stewart with Jaskin next year. Roy and his 4 million can be replaced by Rattie(especially since Roy is on the wing now). The money will be there. Get it done.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 01:10 PM
BlueDream

Well we will just have to deal with the talk of how the mighty Flyers are going to get him just like with Pietrangelo.

This is a perfect spot for Steen. If he really wants to test the market I question what is going on in his head because I'll be surprised if he gets THAT greedy over one season.

Even if Steen scores 40-40 this year I feel pretty comfortable in saying that won't happen again. He's a good player but he's not elite offensively. He's just solid.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 01:34 PM
jpw1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Well we will just have to deal with the talk of how the mighty Flyers are going to get him just like with Pietrangelo.

This is a perfect spot for Steen. If he really wants to test the market I question what is going on in his head because I'll be surprised if he gets THAT greedy over one season.

Even if Steen scores 40-40 this year I feel pretty comfortable in saying that won't happen again. He's a good player but he's not elite offensively. He's just solid.
I can't see Steen getting more then 5.5 personally. Armstrong will get him at a fair deal for both sides.

jpw1910 is offline   Reply With Quote