HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Buy-out predictions

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2005, 04:22 PM
les3couleurs

vCash: 500
Buy-out predictions

Pretty simple, who do you will be bought out. I recommend this link (TSN) to know who's signed right now. If anybody knows a link that also gives the players contract lenghts, it could help.

So I'll start it.

No buy-outs for these clubs : Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, Boston Bruins, Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Hurricanes, Chicago Blackhawks, Edmonton Oilers, Florida Panthers, Los Angeles Kings, Minnesota Wild, Nashville Predators, New York Islanders, Ottawa Senators, Pittsburgh Penguins, San Jose Sharks, Tampa Bay Lightning, Vancouver Canucks and Washington Capitals.

Atlanta Thrashers : Jani Hurme, if he counts against the cap

Montreal Canadiens : Patrice Brisebois (team option is a $1 million buy-out)

New Jersey Devils : Sergei Brylin, Krzysztof Oliwa

New York Rangers : Bobby Holik, Darius Kasparaitis

Philadelphia Flyers : John Leclair, Donald Brashear

Toronto Maple Leafs : Owen Nolan, Bryan McCabe

Calgary Flames : Toni Lydman

Columbus Blue Jackets : Luke Richardson, Scott Lachance

Colorado Avalanche : Chris Gratton will not be kept

Dallas Stars : Pierre Turgeon

Detroit Red Wings : Ray Whitney, Derian Hatcher

Phoenix Coyotes : Brian Savage

St. Louis Blues : Doug Weight

Old
07-16-2005, 04:46 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by les3couleurs

Philadelphia Flyers : John Leclair, Donald Brashear
you left out tony amonte

Old
07-16-2005, 04:48 PM
Traitor8

Dallas: Bill Guerin
Blues: Tkachuk

Old
07-16-2005, 04:56 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I don't think Lydman will be bought out. He could be traded at that price, and if worse comes to worse he will be taken in the waiver draft without costing the Flames anything.

Guerin is a possibility, and Sanderson seems pretty expensive for a 16 goal scorer. Nylander seems a little pricey also, seeing as the NYR have almost 22 million committed to just 6 players.

Old
07-16-2005, 05:31 PM
Art Vandelay

Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
Colorado: Rob Blake
Dallas:Pierre Turgeon (maybe Bill Guerin)
Detroit: Derian Hatcher, Ray Whitney
NY Rangers: Bobby Holik
Ottawa: Greg de Vries, Bryan Smolinski
Philadelphia: John LeClair, Tony Amonte, Donald Brashear (scratch Brash if they only can buy out 2 players)
St. Louis: Doug Weight
Toronto: Owen Nolan

Last edited by Art Vandelay: 07-16-2005 at 05:54 PM.
Old
07-16-2005, 05:51 PM
Frenzy1

[QUOTE=Bonde 007] St. Louis: Doug Weight, Keith Tkachuk
[QUOTE]

I don't think the Blues will buy out anyone. If they do it would be Weight, not KT because of the team option in 06 at 3.7 million.

Old
07-16-2005, 05:55 PM
Art Vandelay

Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonde 007
St. Louis: Doug Weight, Keith Tkachuk
I don't think the Blues will buy out anyone. If they do it would be Weight, not KT because of the team option in 06 at 3.7 million.
You are probably right, i wrote down all i could think of and started eliminating them, I forgot to remove Tkachuk

Old
07-16-2005, 06:49 PM
MainFlame

Quote:
Pretty simple, who do you will be bought out. I recommend this link (TSN) to know who's signed right now. If anybody knows a link that also gives the players contract lenghts, it could help.

No chance.

Old
07-16-2005, 06:54 PM
boredmale

Quote:

Only teams that will have salary cap problems will buy out players so you can nix these 5 teams out.

Old
07-16-2005, 07:34 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Savage will be bought out. He's making almost as much as Doan, and he's taking up a roster spot. Phoenix's roster is practically totally set with 21 players already under contract for 28 million.

Old
07-16-2005, 09:18 PM
PapaBear*

Colorado: Rob Blake
Dallasierre Turgeon, maybe Bill Guerin
Detroit: Derian Hatcher, Ray Whitney, Robert Lang
NY Rangers: Bobby Holik
Ottawa: Greg de Vries, Bryan Smolinski, Peter Bondra
Philadelphia: John LeClair, Tony Amonte
St. Louis: Doug Weight, Keith Thachuk
Toronto: Owen Nolan, Alex Mogilny

Old
07-16-2005, 09:21 PM
salty justice

Why would Oliwa get bought out? New Jersey just picked him up and he is cheap and useful.

Old
07-16-2005, 09:21 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Detroit: Derian Hatcher, Ray Whitney, Robert Lang
I only see this happening if Fedorov gets bought out and we sign him instead.

Old
07-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
Only teams that will have salary cap problems will buy out players so you can nix these 5 teams out.
I could see Phoenix buy-out Savage. His contract's bad, and if he was bought-out, they'd have nearly $15 million in room. That'd be pretty good for them.

Old
07-16-2005, 09:35 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton
I only see this happening if Fedorov gets bought out and we sign him instead.
Which won't happen, either.

Old
07-16-2005, 09:43 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller
I could see Phoenix buy-out Savage. His contract's bad, and if he was bought-out, they'd have nearly $15 million in room. That'd be pretty good for them.

Phoenix will never use the full cap space anytime soon so buying out Savage's contract would be a loss of roughly 2 million for this team(he is making 2.85 million now). I don't think it's worth it for them to buy him out for the 850,000 they save personally.

Old
07-16-2005, 10:39 PM
Brad*

Question:

If Hatcher is bought out by Detroit, how much do you think he'll get on the market? I could potentially see Hitchcock and the Flyers having some interest.

Old
07-16-2005, 10:43 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Question:

If Hatcher is bought out by Detroit, how much do you think he'll get on the market? I could potentially see Hitchcock and the Flyers having some interest.

this is just a guess, i would go with 4 million give or take 500,000. Defensemen will be a big commodity so somebody will be likely to shell out the cash(the shorter the deal the closer to 4.5 it will get).

Old
07-16-2005, 11:06 PM
les3couleurs

OK, I give you Oliwa, he should not be on this list. I just remembered him as a goon, but he did a very decent job with Calgary in the last playoffs. Lydman, too, shouldn't have been included in my list. I just heard he was a possible candidate for a buy-out, but it's true it would be stupid and he'd be a much better trade-bait.

As for Amonte, I think he could still be worth the money he's getting. With the new rules, I believe we could see him set new career highs.
Quote:
Quote:

As for teams with lower payrolls buying out players not making sense, you might right. I just think these players are vastly overpaid and if these teams ever need to make a move or two in the future having them on the payroll could make acquiring good players tough.

Old
07-16-2005, 11:08 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 968
Quote:
OK, I give you Oliwa, he should not be on this list. I just remembered him as a goon, but he did a very decent job with Calgary in the last playoffs. Lydman, too, shouldn't have been included in my list. I just heard he was a possible candidate for a buy-out, but it's true it would be stupid and he'd be a much better trade-bait.

As for Amonte, I think he could still be worth the money he's getting. With the new rules, I believe we could see him set new career highs.

As for teams with lower payrolls buying out players not making sense, you might right. I just think these players are vastly overpaid and if these teams ever need to make a move or two in the future having them on the payroll could make acquiring good players tough.

You may entertain a few offers to make wagers on that one!!!

Old
07-16-2005, 11:14 PM
boredmale

Quote:

i do see you point butif you look at my logic about Savage for instance. Is it really worth giving him 2 million+ to save about 800,000? or just keep him for the year and take a bite in the a$$. The only way i would cut him is if he had 0 chance of making the starting day roster, which i still think he has some use. A better bet with a guy like Savage is offer to pay 1-1.5 million of his salary if any team wants to pick him up(although even then i think it would be had to find takers).

Old
07-16-2005, 11:38 PM
les3couleurs

I see your logic and with your evaluation of the guy, your thinking is a 100% correct. IMHO, he is done. I think he's worth a shot at 500k, with what I've see of him in his last few years, he just doesn't seem to have it anymore.

I feel in his time in Montreal, he just benefited playing with Koivu and he hasn't found another center he can mesh with. I think his success in Montreal just goes to show how good Koivu is.

I also question his desire, I remember him trying in his last days with Montreal, but he didn't go the extra yard. When you're struggling as he is, you have everything you have and then a little bit more and I doubt that is in him.

He also is a bit afraid of the slot these days. So maybe it's just me, but I'd rather get rid of him and not have him count against the cap and pay the buy-out to have players paid less who would help my team that much more.

Old
07-16-2005, 11:59 PM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear
Ottawa: Greg de Vries, Bryan Smolinski, Peter Bondra
Ottawa:

Bondra isn't under contract
Smolinski - 99.9% gone
de Vries - not a certainty to be out the door - Ottawa has a strong top 4, but a relatively weak 5th, 6th and 7th dman (Pothier, Schubert, Meszaros)
White - for a minor leaguer, he was way too critical to the media as Sens player rep -> GONE.
Neil - middle of the road middle weight - big deal...

Jacques Martin made some career minor leaguers NHL players - ie Traverse, Pitlick, Dackell, Hnidy - who got some very nice contracts once the left Ottawa but stunk after leaving Bytown. White is yet another of those players in Jacques' lineage of overachievers.

Old
07-17-2005, 12:03 AM
boredmale

Quote:
I see your logic and with your evaluation of the guy, your thinking is a 100% correct. IMHO, he is done. I think he's worth a shot at 500k, with what I've see of him in his last few years, he just doesn't seem to have it anymore.
If you think they could spend that 800,000 more wisely then maybe cutting him isn't out of the question.

Old
07-17-2005, 12:11 AM
allelsefails

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
Unless there is a provision in the CBA that states this, expect Columbus to possibly buyout both of these pylons on defense and use the money on free agents. It has been hinted at by the media around Columbus, as well as some words by Maclean.

Closed Thread