HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

How would you spend our Cap Money?

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2005, 12:55 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
How would you spend our Cap Money?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...=2106450&num=4
Quote:
Los Angeles Kings

12 players under contract totaling $15.6 million

GM Dave Taylor tried to lock up unrestricted free agent Ziggy Palffy before the lockout but couldn't. If he can't do it post-lockout, Taylor will have to bring in a scoring forward to fill that void. Murray, a revelation in Boston the past three years, is a familiar face, as is Allison, who will be looking to prove to someone that he's still an elite center. West Coast golf nut Mogilny also might be an option, depending on his nagging hip injury. Is Mathieu Garon ready to be a Hollywood netminder? Maybe. Maybe not, meaning Taylor will need some veteran help between the pipes. Former Canadian junior sensation Mike Cammalleri had a breakout year in the AHL, finishing second in scoring to Ottawa's Jason Spezza, and could assume a significant role as a third- or fourth-line scorer
Free agents- thanks to JT
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=151234

PLayers under contract - thanks Jt and Albi
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=150863

Old
07-15-2005, 01:43 PM
jt

vCash: 500
http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp

Quote:
One of the most significant is that the players' share of revenue will rise as revenues rise. We all know it starts at 54 per cent, but it goes up to 55 per cent at $2.2 billion, 56 per cent at 2.4 billion and 57 per cent at 2.7 billion.
Quote:
Another key thing to understand is the cap figure. Yes, it's $39 million, but that doesn't mean you can't have players on your roster whose annual salaries add up to more than $39 million.

You just can't have them on your roster for the whole year. That $39 million figure is not some mythical paper-number, it's how much a team can actually spend on salaries in one year.

So a team that runs way below the cap for most of the year could conceivably add a big salary player at the trade deadline and, on a paper payroll, go over the cap - so long as the actual money spent on salaries stays below $39 million, it's not a problem.

A team could conceivably go into the playoffs with a roster whose salaries add up to more than $39 million. It's all a matter of balancing the books.
So a team can go over the cap at any point they want during the season...just so long as they don't spend more than $39 mil by the end. I wonder what happens if they do?

Keeping this in mind, I do my damndest to convince Forsberg and Naslund that LA is the place to go. They'd both be cornerstone guys and CLEAR #1/#2 on the team. The Kings have the cap space (although it might make getting Frolov signed under the cap a little tough) to pay BOTH of them the $7.4 mil cap and still have a damn good cast surrounding them. Bring back Luc and Pirnes for cheap and maybe let Belanger, Corvo walk if they won't sign for cheap. And that'd be it.

Naslund/Forsberg/Frolov
Luc/Conroy/Klatt
Avery/Belanger(Cammy if Belanger walks)/TK
Cowan/Pirnes/Brown

If/when Cammy shows he's ready to replace Luc, great. If Brown does it first, great...move him up and slide Cammy into his spot...or Klatt's. Also, Cowan played ALOT with Kovalchuk so he's another option for the top 6. Lehoux has also forced the Kings to consider him as an option and Clarke is in the mix too. At the end of Michigan's season, I fully expect Tambellini to be knocking on the door too.

The D would be:

Norstrom/Gleason
Miller/Visnovsky
Dempsey/Weaver(Corvo if he stays)

Or sign Quintal or someone like Weinrich.

If I can't sign Forsberg and Naslund I look at trading for Pronger or signing Niedermayer. I think about Modano and Bondra but probably pass. I look hard at Foote, Rathje, Rafalski, Gonchar and Zubov but pass if I can't trade Miller (I wouldn't buy him out). If Luc walks, I try to get Roberts, Nieuwendyk or Gelinas. I'd look hard at Glen Murray, Brylin and Straka. I'd even think about Lindros but I'd bet my house he's going to Toronto.

But what I DON'T do is bring in guys like Mogliny, Selanne, Zhamnov, Demitra, Kovalev and probably not Palffy or Kariya. What I want (if I'm DT) is a team that's all for one and one for all...and none of those guys strike me as that type. MAYBE Kariya but I dunno.

I also don't sign a goalie unless I can get someone like Burke, Dunham or Osgood cheap. I'd go with Garon and Hauser or Brust. I might think about Brathwaite, Dafoe, Potvin or Snow...but it would be a LOW priority.

Old
07-15-2005, 02:02 PM
Face Wash

FORWARDS FORWARDS FORWARDS!!!! The lack of Forward depth has KILLED this franchise the past two or three seasons... It's put an incredible amount of stress on the D to produce offensively which clearly it can't do as it once did when Matty Schneider was here (and Visnovsky's injuries in 03-04). This organization has pretty decent defensive depth, they need to take the pressure off of the Corvo, Visnovsky and Dempsey with some All-Star caliber fast, big, skilled scorers and playmakers. I wouldn't mind them going after the top guys available. And ALL of them!!

I think you might see the Kings flex their impressive financial muscle now that there's an economic system in place that makes sense.

Last edited by Face Wash: 07-15-2005 at 02:11 PM.
Old
07-15-2005, 02:06 PM
guzmania

Rafalski, Brian. Kariya, Paul. Dunham, Mike. Modano, Mike or Roeneck, Jeremy. Luc. These guys added to the players we already have will do fine in a redlineless world.

Old
07-15-2005, 02:11 PM
jfont

Awards:
i doubt naslund and forsberg would get here...but stranger things have happened.

as previously stated in another thread, i would like rob blake and palffy to come back and "don" the kings jersey again...palffy at 5M and blake at 7M...

07-15-2005, 02:12 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
i doubt naslund and forsberg would get here...but stranger things have happened.

as previously stated in another thread, i would like rob blake and palffy to come back and "don" the kings jersey again...palffy at 5M and blake at 7M...
Very funny!

Old
07-15-2005, 02:15 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash
Very funny!
oh! i'm sorry...was that you?

Old
07-15-2005, 02:30 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

I'd just try to make the team not Suck.

Old
07-15-2005, 02:47 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Hey you two! Get a room already!

Old
07-15-2005, 03:02 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
yeah yeah yeah

Old
07-15-2005, 03:16 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmaniac
Rafalski, Brian. Kariya, Paul. Dunham, Mike. Modano, Mike or Roeneck, Jeremy. Luc. These guys added to the players we already have will do fine in a redlineless world.
Some of those guys I would be fine with. Jeremy Roenick ..... absolutely, positively no way. We do not need a cancer like him on the team right now.

Old
07-15-2005, 03:23 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I'm just going to name the players who I personally think could help the team immensely. The Kings don't need to add a lot. Two forwards, a defenseman and an "insurance" goaltender to play behind Garon. That is all that is necessary. Their checking lines are pretty much set, and they have a few guys already on the roster who can play on the top two lines.

My top priority would be a #1 defenseman who can log 25+ mins and play the PP and PK. The defensemen I would keep an eye on are Aucoin, Foote, Rafalski, Zubov and Zhitnik. There is the possibility of Colorado looking to shed Rob Blake's contract in order to retain both Forsberg and Foote. If that happens, I would hope that LA is the first place on Blake's mind. Love him or hate him, he is one of the best shot blockers and an intimidating pressence on the ice who can log tons of minutes and be effective on both special teams.

Next up on my priority list is a top line center. If Eric Lindros didn't have his history of concussions, he would top my list, but he is a big risk at this point. Other options at center are Demitra and Zhamnov. Demitra is a versatile center who can also play the wing, but with the Kings, his primary position will be at C. Zhamnov is a very enigmatic center who has had injury problems last season and was an underachiever during his time in Chicago. He was impressive during the playoffs with the Flyers in 03-04 though.

On the wing, I would look for two things: a speedy sniper who can rush the puck and is also can distribute the puck to his linemates. The first name that pops up that matches that criteria is Paul Kariya. Again, he has the baggage of injuries that comes along with him. Ziggy Palffy is another option, but I somehow doubt he will be returning. He wants to move on and it is probably time for the Kings to turn the page and look elsewhere.
Other names to consider... Alexei Kovalev. An explosive winger with amazing hands (possibly the best stickhandler in the game today). Unfortunately, like Zhamnov, he can be difficult to motivate at times.

Markus Naslund would be a pleasant addition to any team, but I feel as though he would like to remain with the Canucks. I'd make a phone call to gauge his interest, but you have to be cautious with a guy like Naslund who has said he'd like to return to Sweden before he retires.

And finally, a name we are all familiar with, Glen Murray. Credit Andy Murray for motivating Murray to become an efficient, hard working player. Before coming to Los Angeles, "Stone Hands" as he was known in Pittsburgh, was a rather average player. Andy believed that Glen could be a 40 goal scorer, and lo and behold, he became one after moving on to Boston.

Another area the Kings could (and should) improve is the penalty killing. Most people could care less about a player like Dan Bylsma, Kelly Buchberger, Ian Laperriere... but they were a big part of the Kings' penalty killing, which has struggled since their departure (or injuries in Lappy's case, before his departure). The above mentioned players were also very good shot blockers, something missing from the current Kings roster.

This name might not strike you as an elite penalty killing forward, but Martin Rucinsky is a hard worker who logged a lot of minutes (27th overall amongst all NHL forwards in 03-04) and saw a lot of time on both special teams.

As for the backup goaltender, Manny Fernandez would make a lot of sense. I see him along the lines of Legace (no, not because both of their names are Manny). Fernandez is a better than average backup, and if Garon needs a rest of falters, Manny can handle his share of games. I'd try to move Joe Corvo and an additional forward (who has no room on the roster) to acquire Fernandez.

I'm not going to make up any lines, but up front the Kings currently have Frolov, Conroy, Cammalleri and Dustin Brown who are capable of playing on the top two lines. I would like to see the youngsters given a shot playing on one of the top lines. In order for them to develop, they have to play a lot and be put in key situations. You can't develop if you aren't playing. And if they are getting minimum ice time, they are not going to develop. So, aside from those 4 names, add in a center and a speedy winger, and you're top six is set.

Now the bottom two lines which has primarily been known as the stopper and energy lines. The Kings have the following options to fill those lines... Armstrong, Klatt, Belanger, Pirnes, Avery, Cowan, Kostopoulos, Flinn. Robitaille will more than likely be brought back, and his line with Armstrong and Klatt showed great chemistry playing together, so I would keep those three intact as a third scoring "energy" unit.

This leaves us with Belanger, Pirnes, Avery, Cowan, Kostopoulos and Flinn. Three of them will be regulars, two of them scratches and one of them will be the odd man out. With Flinn missing a lot of playing time, I think he will start off in Manchester.

On defense, Visnovsky, Dempsey, Norstrom, Miller and Gleason are my locks. The Kings need to upgrade the blueline, and the sacrificial lamb will have to be Joe Corvo. He's got a great shot and is a good puck moving defenseman, but the Kings desperately need an impact defenseman.

So there you have it. The Kings aren't in bad shape and have a lot of flexibity to make additions to the roster. With a few additions on offense, one addition on the blueline and in net, and your 2005-2006 Kings roster is set.

Only problem is there are 29 other teams looking to fill up and improve their roster.

Old
07-15-2005, 03:29 PM
KingsFan7824

Let Cammalleri and Brown have bigger roles offensively. They have nothing to prove at the AHL level. Time to see what they, especially Cammalleri, can do.

The Kings do need a #1 center. There isn't much on that FA agent list though. Lindros and Allison are just tooooo fragile. We all know Stumpel isn't a #1. There could be more if guys like Weight, Fedorov, Sakic, or Yashin are bought out. Modano is there. Zhamnov could be a possibility. Demitra could play center if all else fails. If Conroy is going to be the #2, then I think the Kings need more of a goal scorer as the #1. A Fedorov or Sakic instead of Weight for example.

If a Pronger were available, obviously that would be a decent pick up. I'm not going to hope it happens though. It's like hoping the Kings win the lottery and draft Crosby. It's wasted energy, and very unlikely.

But there are a few defensemen out there that could help. I'm guessing the Kings have 5 of the 7 already with Norstrom, Miller, Visnovsky, Dempsey, and Gleason. Either make one big splash and sign a cheap 7th defenseman, or sign two guys that could easily play.

And another goaltender is needed as well. Garon will be a King. Hauser, Brust, Fukufuji, or Munce could be in Manchester. Someone with some experience would do fine.

Fill in as many open spots as possible with some young talent. I'm not saying just give any prospect a place on the team. But, for example, this is Cammalleri's 4th year, and it's time to see what he can do with quality playing time, mistakes and all. He had a great year with Manchester, so it's not as if he didn't earn the shot. Then try and sign a #1 center(the FA center list today isn't great, so if they don't sign one off that list, it's not the end of the world), maybe a defenseman or two, and an experienced goalie in case Garon isn't up to it.

Old
07-15-2005, 04:26 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

We should also keep in mind of the fact that there are still some RFA's who remain to be signed: Eric Belanger, Joe Corvo, Esa Pirnes, Jason Holland, Mike Cammalleri, Alexander Frolov. Kostopoulos and Weaver are also others who have to be retained.

The current payroll is at $15,648,000 with the following players signed (with the 24% rollback):

Mattias Norstrom $2.66 million
Aaron Miller $2.66 million
Craig Conroy $2.394 million
Lubomir Visnovsky $1.52 million
Mathieu Garon $1.216 million
Dustin Brown $942,000
Nathan Dempsey $874,000
Trent Klatt $912,000
Derek Armstrong $760,000
Tim Gleason $646,000
Sean Avery $532,000
Jeff Cowan $532,000

Figure in an additional $4M+ on retaining Frolov, Cammalleri, Belanger, Corvo, Kostopoulos, Weaver, and bringing back Luc Robitaille. The estimate team payroll would then be around $20-21M.

An additional $17-18M in salaries could be added to the roster, but we don't know what the self imposed team budget for the Kings would be next season.

With a completely healthy roster in 03-04 season, the Kings payroll was set to be at over $50M. http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...003-04&team=14
They did make the mistake of adding Straka's full salary, since a portion was paid off by the Penguins. Remove the contracts of Allison and Deadmarsh from last seasons roster and the team payroll was at $42+M for the 2003-2004 season.

Lets assume the Kings add 4 players to the roster. A backup goalie (at under $1M). A top defenseman (depending on who it is, could range from $3-5 or 6M). A first line center (once again, depending on the center, could range between $3-5M again) and a scoring winger (who would also range between $3-6M).

Just to give you solid numbers, if you add a goalie for $850K, Skater A at $6M, Skater B at $4M and Skater C at $5M, the projected team payroll (added to a projected $21M in committed salaries after re-signings) would be set at an estimated payroll of $36,850,000.00 (not including bonuses).

Old
07-15-2005, 04:41 PM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

Again enough of the Glen Murray and Paulina Kariya. Those two are not what this team needs.

Murray was a p.u.s.s.y and I would rather have Palffy than Kariya.

Naslund or Forsberg would be great. The kings need a bonafide #1 center. Forsberg would be my top priority.

Aucoin would be ideal.

Resign Palffy & Robitaille, Sign Forsberg and trade for Aucoin. Give the big 4 younglings (Frolov, Cammy, Brown, Gleason) a chance to prove their ready. The game is going to change. Players such as Cammy, Palffy & Forsberg will benefit with the proposed rule changes.

Frolov/Forsberg/Palffy
Robitaille/Conroy/Cammy
Klatt/Army/Brown
Cowan/Avery/TK

Norstrom/Gleason
Visnovski/Miller
Dempsey/Aucoin

D

Old
07-15-2005, 05:41 PM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in LA
Again enough of the Glen Murray and Paulina Kariya. Those two are not what this team needs.

Murray was a p.u.s.s.y and I would rather have Palffy than Kariya.

Naslund or Forsberg would be great. The kings need a bonafide #1 center. Forsberg would be my top priority.

Aucoin would be ideal.

Resign Palffy & Robitaille, Sign Forsberg and trade for Aucoin. Give the big 4 younglings (Frolov, Cammy, Brown, Gleason) a chance to prove their ready. The game is going to change. Players such as Cammy, Palffy & Forsberg will benefit with the proposed rule changes.

Frolov/Forsberg/Palffy
Robitaille/Conroy/Cammy
Klatt/Army/Brown
Cowan/Avery/TK

Norstrom/Gleason
Visnovski/Miller
Dempsey/Aucoin

D
I like what you said. Everyone here is to set on getting Pronger or Neidermeyer i really dont want either. As stated we need offense that has always been our problem. Norstrom Viskovsksy Gleason Demspey are 4 legitimate top 4 defenseman and the rest of our D are good 5th or 6th d man we dont need some 6 million dollar d man. Other thing stated which i agree let the youth play let Brown, Gleason, Camms play their time and get a chance to shine and if they fail i can guarantee there will be left of ufa or trades we can do to fix that problem

Old
07-15-2005, 07:21 PM
McSorley 33

Quote:

That would be fantasy!

Old
07-15-2005, 07:23 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
Hey you two! Get a room already!
oh come on john...we all know FW has a thing for Dave R. Esq....

just kidding FW...just kidding

Old
07-15-2005, 07:25 PM
McSorley 33

Give Palffy his money and let's move on. Who else is going to be better at this point in time.

Old
07-15-2005, 07:46 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
oh come on john...we all know FW has a thing for Dave R. Esq....

just kidding FW...just kidding

Old
07-15-2005, 09:07 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Palffy is done in L.A. in my opinion. Seems like he's burned too many bridges.

Old
07-15-2005, 09:27 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Here is what next seasons roster could potentially look after player re-signings and some additions to complete the roster.

Player Pos. Salary
M. Norstrom D $2,660,000
A. Miller D $2,660,000
C. Conroy C $2,394,000
L. Visnovsky D $1,520,000
M. Garon G $1,216,000
D. Brown W $942,000
N. Dempsey D $874,000
T. Klatt W $912,000
D. Armstrong C $760,000
T. Gleason D $646,000
S. Avery F $532,000
J. Cowan W $532,000
L. Robitaille W $950,000
A. Frolov W $1,100,000
E. Belanger C $750,000
T. Kostopoulos W $400,000
M. Cammalleri F $900,000
J. Corvo D $672,000
M. Weaver D $400,000
E. Pirnes C $400,000
Free Agent G $800,000
Free Agent D $3,200,000
Free Agent F $3,500,000
Free Agent F $4,000,000
$32,720,000 Projected Payroll

Old
07-16-2005, 04:12 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

hacksaw (of course reputation noted) announced today that the Ducks are pursuing both Naslund and Kariya beucase they have 19 mil in cap room....

Kariya i dont really mind, but if Naslund becomes a duck, i would want to throw up...initially i did not take the rumor too seriously, but then i remmebered the Brian Burke factor...Hacksaw then mentioned, if not Naslund, then Bertuzzi may go....that would be even more disgusting....

But does Burke have a good relationship with the players...and how's his relationship with the Cunucks since Bertuzzi would have to be traded...

Old
07-16-2005, 01:06 PM
Peter James Bond

I was at camp on Friday and talked to Andy Murray for aboat (canadian pronunciation) 15 minutes.

Among the things he said when asked aboat possible free agent signings, he replied "TOP SIX FORWARDS"

He mentioned Ziggy a few times in a positive sense, (not actually coming out and saying the Kings are pursuing him) which tells me that the Kings are interested in bringing Ziggy back. When I threw out some names like Naslund, Forsberg, Lindros, Kariya, Glen Murray, he said he couldn't talk about them, while saying that it would be great to get some of those guys, he himself added Demitra's name. That doesn't necessarily mean that the Kings are pursuing him, but I thought it was interesting.

I'm just not sure about Demitra's overall play - lack of physical play / defensive play. However, he would be a huge upgrade over Stumpel.

Old
07-16-2005, 02:12 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter James Bond
I was at camp on Friday and talked to Andy Murray for aboat (canadian pronunciation) 15 minutes.

Among the things he said when asked aboat possible free agent signings, he replied "TOP SIX FORWARDS"

He mentioned Ziggy a few times in a positive sense, (not actually coming out and saying the Kings are pursuing him) which tells me that the Kings are interested in bringing Ziggy back. When I threw out some names like Naslund, Forsberg, Lindros, Kariya, Glen Murray, he said he couldn't talk about them, while saying that it would be great to get some of those guys, he himself added Demitra's name. That doesn't necessarily mean that the Kings are pursuing him, but I thought it was interesting.

I'm just not sure about Demitra's overall play - lack of physical play / defensive play. However, he would be a huge upgrade over Stumpel.
That's good to know because it kind of shows me that AM feels like the Kings will make some huge moves. Our payroll will hopefully be around 33+ million once the season starts. I want us to stay under the cap so, we can make a deal or 2 at the deadline.

Closed Thread