HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

92-93 all over again?

Old
10-24-2013, 04:48 PM
RangersChamps2417

vCash: 500
92-93 all over again?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=648783

In 1992-93, the Rangers were coming off of a first seed in the conference and a second round lost to the eventual SC champion Penguins. The team had a lot of promise and expectations were high, but the team instead faltered and came in last in their division.

I wonder if the Rangers have a tough season like many of you presume will happen (I think they'll turn it around), if that you guys think they can have a similar turn around and be a great team in 14-15, like 93-94?

RangersChamps2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 04:52 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersChamps2417 View Post

In 1992-93, the Rangers were coming off of a first seed in the conference and a second round lost to the eventual SC champion Penguins. The team had a lot of promise and expectations were high, but the team instead faltered and came in last in their division.

I wonder if the Rangers have a tough season like many of you presume will happen (I think they'll turn it around), if that you guys think they can have a similar turn around and be a great team in 14-15, like 93-94?
The '92-'93 team was immensely more talented than this team and deeper than this team.

They didn't have a new coach.

I really don't see the similarities.

10-24-2013, 04:55 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:

haha zero things in common. This team is filled with a bunch of garbage. That team had 2 HOF all-time greats.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 04:58 PM
nevesis

92-93 would have been last year technically, from the year we came off in 2011-2012. This is the year we're supposed to win the cup.

LOL.

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 04:59 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
92-93 would have been last year technically, from the year we came off in 2011-2012. This is the year we're supposed to win the cup.

LOL.
So, the Cup is ours?

YESSSS!!!!!!

rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 05:01 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Happy holidays! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The '92-'93 team was immensely more talented than this team and deeper than this team.

Yep - talk about telling it like it is.

This year's Rangers cannot score goals.

Megustaelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 05:03 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
So, the Cup is ours?

YESSSS!!!!!!
Booyah!

Seems like only yesterday we got destroyed by the Sharks

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 05:10 PM
RangersChamps2417

Haha my bad guys. Just trying to keep some spirits high around here

RangersChamps2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 05:17 PM
JHS

Quote:

Actually if you add 10 years onto your year and compare this team to the 2003-2004 team I can see some striking similarities, most notably in the forwards. A bunch of mediocre players with a few stars sprinkled in who were injury prone( Eric Lindros anyone).

Good grief this was a bad time for the rangers.( link to the roster if you need a reminder of the team)

http://m.hkref.com/m?p=XXteamsXXNYRX...l&t=all_roster

JHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 05:21 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHS View Post
Actually if you add 10 years onto your year and compare this team to the 2003-2004 team I can see some striking similarities, most notably in the forwards. A bunch of mediocre players with a few stars sprinkled in who were injury prone( Eric Lindros anyone).

Good grief this was a bad time for the rangers.( link to the roster if you need a reminder of the team)

http://m.hkref.com/m?p=XXteamsXXNYRX...l&t=all_roster
Interesting. But the difference there is this team has been fairly consistently in the playoffs. And I don't see a Jagr.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 05:22 PM
NYRFANMANI
beyond good and evil

Oh, someone is delusionally optimistic here ...

NYRFANMANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 05:25 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Quote:
Haha my bad guys. Just trying to keep some spirits high around here
Implying that these people have spirits

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 06:03 PM
mattyd99

Wasn't this said about last year? This team isn't going to win anything until the 94 comparisons are over. Some heart would help as well.

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Crease

For the older folks around here: might we be approaching a situation similar to what the organization went through in 1975-76?

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 06:26 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:

They weren't that talented. They were exposed every night. Richter and Beezer were both pathetic. The defense was one the worst in franchise history. The team was exposed by the Pens in the playoffs and the following year everybody preyed on the Rangers penchant to take chances.

Amonte, Turcotte, Gartner, Weight, Kovalev and later Olczyk were horrendously lazy back checkers who avoided contact. Messier was a turnover machine who stayed on the perimeter.

I think there are similarities. Those Rangers were only talented on paper. They were out worked every game minus a few exceptions. They were blown out in half their losses.

it was a frat house atmosphere. Weight was a ringleader and I was ecstatic when he was traded. Amonte was never the same player for the Rangers after his
Beer buddy was traded.

There's a reason why Smith got rid of Weight, Amonte, Patrick, Gartner, Turcotte, and that egomaniac Vanbiesbrouck.

I'm hoping Sather does the same.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 06:32 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
They weren't that talented. They were exposed every night. Richter and Beezer were both pathetic. The defense was one the worst in franchise history. The team was exposed by the Pens in the playoffs and the following year everybody preyed on the Rangers penchant to take chances.

Amonte, Turcotte, Gartner, Weight, Kovalev and later Olczyk were horrendously lazy back checkers who avoided contact. Messier was a turnover machine who stayed on the perimeter.

I think there are similarities. Those Rangers were only talented on paper. They were out worked every game minus a few exceptions. They were blown out in half their losses.

it was a frat house atmosphere. Weight was a ringleader and I was ecstatic when he was traded. Amonte was never the same player for the Rangers after his
Beer buddy was traded.

There's a reason why Smith got rid of Weight, Amonte, Patrick, Gartner, Turcotte, and that egomaniac Vanbiesbrouck.

I'm hoping Sather does the same.
Beezer was a little full of himself?

10-24-2013, 07:56 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

I prefer instead to compare this start to the 1993-94 season when the Rangers started a lackluster 4-5-1, looked awful doing it and were exasperating Mike Keenan to the point he broke a stick over the net after a miserable practice. Guess how that one turned out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
For the older folks around here: might we be approaching a situation similar to what the organization went through in 1975-76?
No, not at all. This is a much younger team with more talent outside of the NHL in the organization. By 1975, the team had just gotten very old and tired and needed to be torn down.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 08:57 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

So is Lundqvist Beezer and Talbot Richter?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 09:47 PM
mgftp

Season is over folks, we aren't just losing, we are looking horrible.

I mean I really don't see any hope for this season. I pray I am wrong but I see little skill, very little chemistry, and nearly zero effort. The refs were clearly paid off to make the Rangers win and the Rangers got every lucky bounce they could tonight, but we still lose to one of the worst teams in the league after losing to one of the other worst teams in the league the game before.

mgftp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Dactyl
LMFAO KOSTKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipNash27 View Post
So is Lundqvist Beezer and Talbot Richter?
hank to quebec in expansion draft?

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 10:17 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

In short...

And that goes for all of the pointless, brainless '94 connections people continue to concoct.

10-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 300
Quote:

While that is true, would you not agree that the league as a whole was much deeper and more talented?

10-25-2013, 05:49 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The 92-93 team was in the playoff run until the last few weeks of the season. Messier and Leetch were hurt but that team had Graves,Amonte and Gartner to put the puck in the net. This team can't score any goals. The NHL was different then and it was much easier to score goals. The Rangers are in danger of falling out of the playoff race by November.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 07:41 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Listen, the 1993 team was exciting to watch and made your eyes bleed at the same time. Richter was worse than Valiquette on Xanax. The Patrick was a disaster that year. The Pens won the division by November, but somehow the Rangers managed to go into Pittsburgh and score 11 goals on arguably the 2nd best regular season team in NHL history.

This team isnt exciting but they are as inept offensively as the 1993 team was defensively. Nobody had answers that season. Messier was booed. Ron Smith (speaking of Xanax) took over and did nothing.

This team is listless. The 1993 team was just a knife in the heart.

The biggest similarity is that no fan in 1992 or 2013 saw the disasters coming. At least not on this scale. The Rangers arent even mediocre.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 08:12 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

If I remember right, the 1992-93 team started out 8 or 9 and 2 and were blowing people out. Then they got smoked at home by Quebec and it was all downhill from there. Lots of coach-captain acrimony. Nielsen got fired, Leetch got hurt and the back end of the team fell apart. I'll save judgement on this team until after they play a few home games.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote