HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers prospects

Old
10-10-2013, 11:51 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Flyers prospects

You know what, I was looking over the list of Flyers prospects the other day and I have to admit, the Flyers are really starting to build a very, very, very nice set of prospects in the system. I mean, it's actually quite scary good just how group this is. Some may not be as high on the list of talent, but I really take a look at it and I'm flabbergasted with how good the prospect base is.

Start with Scott Laughton, who is probably the best of the bunch. We all know he was good defensively and at the very least, could be a become a very serviceable 3rd line center with 35 to 40 point capability. However, I don't think anybody saw just how much he was going to elevate his game to the next level after the 5 game pre trial with the Flyers before ultimately getting sent back down. He played like a man possessed and ended up averaging over two points per game in his final 10, had a fantastic opening round in the playofs, and is now tearing it up after being sent back. He's found his offensive game and he's really become and elite two way forward. His upside has to be a Patrice Bergeron type of center.

Then, look at Anthony Stolarz, who is is showing not only is he perhaps the best goaltender in the OHL, he might be looking like he's the best goaltender in the CHL. What a fantastic story about his play. Going from a not great NCAA program to going to one of the best junior franchises in London and getting the opportunity to work with probably the best goaltending coach in the game. Stolarz just tore it up. Yes, he stumbled a bit in the OHL finals and in the Memorial Cup, but it was clear that fatigue was getting to him and that having gone to playing so infrequently to playing all the time finally caught up with him. However, his numbers at the end of the season last season indicated big things were to come and boy oh boy, Stolarz has not disappointed so far. He is a legitimate blue chip goaltending prospect with elite number 1 upside. We're talking he could end up being Pekka Rinne, or maybe Henrik Lundqvist good. I'm so excited about Stolarz being the guy to prove that the Flyers can develop goaltenders.

Then, look at Shayne Gostisbehere, perhaps the best defenseman in the NCAA right now. Going back to last season, his game really elevated after going to the world junior tournament and winning gold. Gostisbehere finally believed in his ability and he went back and carried that Union team to the quarter finals of the NCAA frozen four tournament. Even more important, he showed he's a very capable offensive defensemen who is also very sharp defensively. He's got fantastic positioning and he's so smart with the puck. He's also got a bit of a mean streak to him and he can really throw his body and deliver great hits. He really reminds of me a Brian Rafalski/Duncan Keith type of defenseman - top pairing guys. Another guy who had a fantastic showing at the rookie camp as well. Ian Laperriere raved about him and the next guy......

Big Samuel Morin. Man, I have to admit that I'm eating a lot of crow about Morin. I vehemently detested the thought of picking Morin at 11 and instead going for a guy like Josh Morrissey, perhaps the best offensive defenseman of this year's draft. After watching Sam perform at the rookie camp and then the training camp, I fully admit that I was wrong. That raw talent he had was something else to watch. For all the talk about his skating, his skating was really superb. The whole footwork issue he had was a bit overrated and he looked very comfortable out there. On top of that, he was physical and he really hammered a few people. He showed he wasn't going to be intimated and that he had a bit of a mean streak. However, I don't think anyone anticipated that his skill game was also going to be on display. Very good puck control, very crisp passing, very decent slap shot that's going to get better and very good wrist shot (to me, a much more important and harder shot than a slap shot). The name Chris Pronger gets thrown around and that's not fair to big Sam, but man, he is going to be a really good one once he completes filling out. He might just end up being a much more mobile version of Derian Hatcher.

To me, those four are the tip of the ice berg and that's not even including:
1) Mark Alt
2) Nick Cousins
3) Jason Akeson
4) Taylor Leier
5) Robert Hagg
6) Peter Straka
7) Brandon Alderson

That is a real solid group of 11 right there. I'm not saying that it's the best out there, but damn, the Flyers get ripped alot for their prospect system, but they've done a fantastic job reshaping it and filling it with real quality prospects once again. I'm really looking forward to when these guys get to the NHL.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 11:54 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
They Flyers have been very good at scouting. They neutralized that ability by trading a lot of high picks and prospects for a few seasons. We've spent only two offseasons in "replenish the pool" mode and they seem to have made some really nice improvements.

10-11-2013, 12:05 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
They Flyers have been very good at scouting. They neutralized that ability by trading a lot of high picks and prospects for a few seasons. We've spent only two offseasons in "replenish the pool" mode and they seem to have made some really nice improvements.
I stumbled across an article on twitter from a blog (TheHockeyGuys I believe?) today saying the Flyers don't care about scouting, all their money is spent on high priced overrated Free Agents.

It was basically a Flyers bashing piece from some guy who probably knows very little about this team.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 12:08 AM
LegionOfDoom91

It also seems like the Flyers are shifting towards a more patient approach with their prospects.

Old
10-11-2013, 12:11 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
I'm very high on Stolarz. I really think he is the clear cut number 1 prospect in the system and i think he is better than Subban and should be amongst the top 3 goalie prospects not in the nhl.

That being said, i don't like the skill level of our forwards. there is no one in the system that even has the potential to be a top 6 forward. Laughton will never be a top 6 forward on the flyers, Maybe for a lesser talented team but not us. I am disappointed with our failure to grab high reward players late in the draft . We had some opportunities to grab forwards who were ranked fairly high by central scouting but avoided them for guys who played high school hockey.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 01:29 AM
Flyerss

vCash: 444
i don't like our Wingers depth

besides that everything is good

Flyerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 01:39 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I stumbled across an article on twitter from a blog (TheHockeyGuys I believe?) today saying the Flyers don't care about scouting, all their money is spent on high priced overrated Free Agents.

It was basically a Flyers bashing piece from some guy who probably knows very little about this team.
Haha. For a team that doesn't care about scouting, they sure do pick a lot of really solid NHL players considering their usual draft position. Sharp, Williams, Downie, Richards, Carter, Giroux..and they also found Read and Bob, and Gus should be getting NHL time. How many teams can scout and acquire three undrafted players in such a short time without being really good at it? One of those is a really solid all-situation top 6 player and the other just won a Vezina. I definitely don't think the org has struggled with scouting, it's been other areas that have caused discomfort. Poop on that article.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 02:26 AM
Garbage Goal

It's turned out to be better then we thought it would be and it's not bad but in comparison to the other teams it's really nothing special at all. The higher end pools and teams already are chock full of crazy talent and even most of the poorer ones still have guys on par with what we have. Detroit has one of the worst pools I think yet even they have guys like Tatar, Nyquist, and Kindl coming through which really isn't far behind anything we have. We have some good long-shots and some talented guys but it's far from special or very good like the OP suggests and it also really lacks any blue-chip/elite talent. Every prospect we have is largely a gamble and most don't have top tier upside.

Still, considering our draft position and opportunities in recent seasons and how it was looking a couple seasons ago I really do like it. At the very least there's depth.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 05:08 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
It also seems like the Flyers are shifting towards a more patient approach with their prospects.
I believe the flyers finally got the message two summers ago that their previous business model was dead, i.e. buying what you need. When Parise and Ryan Suter took less to play with Minnesota and Nashville destroyed its business model to match the Weber contract, I think they realized that boatloads of money doesn't work in a cap world. It took the NFL a good decade to figure out the cap world where the draft is key; that's why you seldom see NFL teams trade 1st round picks and name players often go for late rounders. The NHL is getting close to a decade now. Some teams like Chicago have already figured out the huge importance of constantly replenishing with the the draft.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 07:56 AM
Curufinwe

That makes it sounds like it was Chicago's plan to miss the playoffs for nine out of 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I'm very high on Stolarz. I really think he is the clear cut number 1 prospect in the system and i think he is better than Subban and should be amongst the top 3 goalie prospects not in the nhl.

That being said, i don't like the skill level of our forwards. there is no one in the system that even has the potential to be a top 6 forward. Laughton will never be a top 6 forward on the flyers, Maybe for a lesser talented team but not us. I am disappointed with our failure to grab high reward players late in the draft . We had some opportunities to grab forwards who were ranked fairly high by central scouting but avoided them for guys who played high school hockey.
Laughton projects as a third liner, but you can't say that he will never have enough skill to play top 6 in Philly. He's only 19 and his offense has come on a lot in the past year and a bit.

But I think picking Goulbourne in the third round instead of a guy like Bjorkstrand was a huge mistake.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 08:00 AM
BernieParent

On the (Canadian) broadcast of one of the first two games, the commentators said the same thing: the Flyers have been poor at signing free agents, but excellent in drafting.

That was a great prospects write-up, BCfan. I'm still unsold on Morin, although that was a moot argument because the players I hoped the Flyers would draft were already gone.

As for the patient approach you mentioned, LoD, I think it's a happy circumstance that the team boasts so many young players that the team has the luxury of almost having no choice. With Giroux, Schenn and Couturier already established at centre, Laughton was hard-pressed to crack the line-up.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 08:09 AM
Curufinwe

Funny to hear Montreal or Toronto commentators talk about the Flyers being poor at signing free agents. I'd much rather have Lecavalier than Briere or Clarkson.

Old
10-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Codith

I like our prospects a lot, I think the group of Morin/Cousins/Laughton/Hagg/Ghost/Stolarz will all be solid NHLers at worst, and some have potential to exceed that.

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 09:10 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
The forward skill level is really low for our prospects. Would be nice to have a Giroux type waiting in the wings.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 09:18 AM
Curufinwe

That's true. Hopefully Leier will exceed expectations.

Old
10-11-2013, 09:22 AM
RussianRocket10

Not sure how much the rank will change from the draft but in the spring of last season, HF had us as the worst ranked prospect pool.

While we don't have any elite prospects, we do have some depth and a couple guys that look like they're going to be at least decent.

RussianRocket10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 09:24 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Funny to hear Montreal or Toronto commentators talk about the Flyers being poor at signing free agents. I'd much rather have Lecavalier than Briere or Clarkson.
Clarkson is definitely a grade-A rebuttal, and Habs fans will argue (and frequently do) that Brière's contract is of more appropriate length and money than Lecavalier's. Of course, that dismisses the disparity in what Lecavalier brings to the ice surface compared to Brière.

It's hard, though, to build a logical objection to the laundry lists of Holmgren's attempts to buy his way out of trouble.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 09:42 AM
BringBackStevens

I agree that morin, ghost, hagg, cousins, laughton, and stolarz makes up a real nice top six. Leirer is a nice long shot prospect, too

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 09:43 AM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
The forward skill level is really low for our prospects. Would be nice to have a Giroux type waiting in the wings.
Akeson. All he's done is produce at every level, inclduing each game at the NHL level. I think at some point you give this kid a shot until he proves he can't do it at the NHL level...they have to at least try him out to see imo.

fauxflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 10:08 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Definitely think the next draft we need to go winger. I know some people are still on the defender thing, but you look at the winger depth and it is extremely poor. Some REALLY good forwards are in the 2014 draft.

Gotta give lots of credit to Alt. Was almost like a small (with some value) throwin on the Boucher trade, but has REALLY turned his game in the right direction after 2 of 3 years struggling in NCAA. Looked extremely good in the prospect/rookie camp. Looked really good during training camp. Him getting hurt I do think hurt his chances of any look within the top 6 (oh and also them thinking Mez is a top defender it seems).

In his first AHL game was probably the teams best defender. Alt is killing it right now. His athleticism allows him to be all over the ice cutting down angles and moving up with the play. The one big bad thing I noticed when watching him play last season was his positioning was poor. That being said watching him this season, he really worked on it and seems extremely improved.

Wouldnt be surprised if we see him in a few games. He definitly is a pp, pk, 5v5 all around defender.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 10:13 AM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Definitely think the next draft we need to go winger. I know some people are still on the defender thing, but you look at the winger depth and it is extremely poor. Some REALLY good forwards are in the 2014 draft.

Gotta give lots of credit to Alt. Was almost like a small (with some value) throwin on the Boucher trade, but has REALLY turned his game in the right direction after 2 of 3 years struggling in NCAA. Looked extremely good in the prospect/rookie camp. Looked really good during training camp. Him getting hurt I do think hurt his chances of any look within the top 6 (oh and also them thinking Mez is a top defender it seems).

In his first AHL game was probably the teams best defender. Alt is killing it right now. His athleticism allows him to be all over the ice cutting down angles and moving up with the play. The one big bad thing I noticed when watching him play last season was his positioning was poor. That being said watching him this season, he really worked on it and seems extremely improved.

Wouldnt be surprised if we see him in a few games. He definitly is a pp, pk, 5v5 all around defender.
The pickups of him and Strake were fantastic IMO, getting players who at one point were rated very highly (both top 55 picks), but then slumped, for next to nothing/nothing.

With guys like that the talent is obviously there and there was never a doubt of that, but just development not going very well.

Both are low risk high reward. Basically got 2 2nd round talents for nothing. Who knows if they will ever fulfil their potential, but if even one of them does that is awesome.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 10:25 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

I'd go winger in this draft provided we don't have the chance opportunity to get a guy like Ekblad. I think even if we owned the 1st overall pick we need to pick Ekblad.

Imagine

Ekblad-Hagg
Morin-Gostisbehere

Down the line if all goes well.

/fantasy

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 10:35 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I'm not as high on these guys as most are around here. Morin looks like he could be a legit top pair guy. Haag has potential to be a solid top 4 guy I think. Laughton is another guy I think can make a solid impact at the NHL level. Stolie...WAY too early to make any kind of projection about him. He could just as easily never see NHL ice as he could become the starter here.

The rest of our guys I think are overrated around these parts. With Ghost's, size, he is greatly behind the 8-ball. At sub 6 foot and sub 175 pounds, he's going to really need to put on some weight to be able to hang in the NHL. Cousins is a guy that I think is reasonably projected to absolutely top out as a third liner, but is more likely to be a fourth liner. There is a reason Jason Akeson gets passed over every time a spot opens up on the big team...likely that he is not NHL material.

You need to temper your expectations. It isn't impossible for these guys to pan out or exceed expectations, but in all likelihood I think you may be setting yourself up for disappointment...

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:

It would be cool if they could draft the Son of Sami.

Old
10-11-2013, 10:46 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
They would probably have to draft in the top 10 to get him but Laughton's teammate Michael Dal Colle seems like a guy that would be right up their alley, big scoring winger.