HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skating on both inside edges

Old
10-29-2013, 04:23 PM
durrrr

vCash: 500
Skating on both inside edges

NHL players do this all the time: they point both toes outwards and glide on both inside edges. Even some good skaters in my rec league can do this. It's a useful skill because it can open you up to see the play a lot better.

I hope you guys know what I'm talking about.. I couldn't find any videos to demonstrate it. Watch an NHL game and you'll see guys do it fairly regularly.

My question is: can anyone actually do this? If so, how can I learn to? I don't have the flexibility to do it, but I'm not sure exactly what to stretch or how to practice.

durrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 04:35 PM
TLow97

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrrr View Post
NHL players do this all the time: they point both toes outwards and glide on both inside edges. Even some good skaters in my rec league can do this. It's a useful skill because it can open you up to see the play a lot better.

I hope you guys know what I'm talking about.. I couldn't find any videos to demonstrate it. Watch an NHL game and you'll see guys do it fairly regularly.

My question is: can anyone actually do this? If so, how can I learn to? I don't have the flexibility to do it, but I'm not sure exactly what to stretch or how to practice.
Is this while carrying the puck? To maintain leverage somehow?

TLow97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 04:43 PM
durrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLow97 View Post
Is this while carrying the puck? To maintain leverage somehow?
Yes almost always while carrying the puck.

Connor McDavid does it while wrapping around in this video. Notice his toes point outward and glides on both inside edges so he can face the goalie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak4tbUqq4js

Sorry I'm a noob and haven't bothered learning to embed yet.

Old
10-29-2013, 05:02 PM
TieClark

I know what you're talking about and it's something taught at a young age actually to very good players. It's basically a swivel of the skates without taking actual strides in order to maintain speed. It allows for easier puck control and shot wind up.

I can do it for sure but not nearly as well... it takes practice and the best players can maintain top speed by doing it... Crosby does it amazingly well.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 05:09 PM
TKSPT

I've seen Laura Stamm teach this very well and it is called a mowhawk turn. You can practice it by going around faceoff circles and the majority of the work is done by the back half of your skate blade.

Crosby does it incredibly well. It is essentially a great way of shoving your backside in a defenders path so they can't get near the puck. Done properly it enables players to swivel out of contact areas and into shooting/passing positions.

Here's Jeremy from How To Hockey teaching it:

TKSPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 05:54 PM
forbs02
Blergh

The mohawk turn is a great skating tool. If you practice them your hips will loosen up to allow you to do them correctly. The movement of opening your hips like that is also how you are supposed to transition from forward to backward skating, and also from backwards to forwards in one smooth movement. Keep practicing and you will get it.

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 05:59 PM
durrrr

Thanks guys, I knew there had to be a name for it. Better start practicing!

Old
10-30-2013, 12:54 AM
JoeCool16

Lol it's really easy to do. You should have no problem getting the hang of it (you have to be pretty good at it to use it effectively). If you can transition from backwards to forwards or forwards to backwards, you probably have most of the motion down already.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 10:01 AM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by durrrr View Post
I don't have the flexibility to do it, but I'm not sure exactly what to stretch or how to practice.
I learned it as a side effect of learning a mohawk transition. Think about when you do a mohawk: you turn your foot, point it the other way, plant and turn the other foot around to match. The act of reaching (when feet are facing separate ways) is how you achieve the ability to skate heel-to-heel. If you can't put your feet heel-to-heel then reach as far as you can when going from forwards to backwards or vice-versa. Every time you reach out you're stretching the things that need to be stretched to achieve this move. If you don't have the mobility now just reach as far as you can each time and do it frequently. I went from not even being able to make a 90 degree angle with my feet to being able to do laps around the rink heel-to-heel in 2 or 3 months and I wasn't even TRYING to learn that, haha. I just did forwards/backwards transitions over and over and over. Stick with it, do it frequently and you'll get it in no time.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote