NA coaches in Sweden?

Old
10-27-2013, 03:58 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
NA coaches in Sweden?

What can be said about it? I wonder as I see career AHL-players in SEL and also not uncommon more than one level below. Would it not be good to see more of NA coaches in the different levels of Swedish hockey?

I am not primarily thinking about the top tier, SHL, but below that. In many organisations you see people coach who have been engaged in the organisation for years, kind of a local social network remedy for all work done.

In such cases I would be glad to see a coach coming from "outside" and putting his mark on a organisation which needs some new impetus to get going.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 08:53 AM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
I think it would definitely serve a purpose. A lot of people seem to like what Ulf Samuelsson brought to the table up in Modo, and I think it just makes sense that if we have a lot of north american players in the leagues, we might as well have some coaches. As for an answer as to why it might not be that way, well...

One of Sweden's main points of pride in hockey has always been the tactical side and the coaching. The players and the coaches communicate well, generally, and I think it's fair to say that Sweden does have our own style of playing hockey. Bringing in a North American coach might seem foreign since noone wants to gamble with their system of play. People want to see their team win and to have something that works, and you'd need very good North American coaches for that, so I think it's largely about security. Besides, having foreign players is one thing, you can always get rid of them if they don't fit, and it won't impact the team that much. But it just comes down to that I don't think people want to gamble with the coaching, it's too important.

That said, I think it would be really cool if a team that's not doing very well would try to turn things around with a North American coach since they wouldn't have anything to lose.

Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 10:35 AM
Slimmy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaid View Post
I think it would definitely serve a purpose. A lot of people seem to like what Ulf Samuelsson brought to the table up in Modo, and I think it just makes sense that if we have a lot of north american players in the leagues, we might as well have some coaches. As for an answer as to why it might not be that way, well...

One of Sweden's main points of pride in hockey has always been the tactical side and the coaching. The players and the coaches communicate well, generally, and I think it's fair to say that Sweden does have our own style of playing hockey. Bringing in a North American coach might seem foreign since noone wants to gamble with their system of play. People want to see their team win and to have something that works, and you'd need very good North American coaches for that, so I think it's largely about security. Besides, having foreign players is one thing, you can always get rid of them if they don't fit, and it won't impact the team that much. But it just comes down to that I don't think people want to gamble with the coaching, it's too important.

That said, I think it would be really cool if a team that's not doing very well would try to turn things around with a North American coach since they wouldn't have anything to lose.
Their self respect

Slimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 02:13 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaid View Post

I agree about the specific cultural part in Swedish hockey. one need to be careful when choosing a NA coach so that you do not get this tedious type who do not listen to the players.

I also think one must take into account that the players themselves builds the culture so it is not all in the hands of the coach.

I have seen to much of trusted old boys within the organisation getting handed responsibility; a mediocre past rewarded and furthered with an even more mediocre future.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote