Notices

Sullivan: an AHL coach so far by default

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2003, 06:20 PM
Magnus Fulgur

vCash: 500
Sullivan: an AHL coach so far by default

I'm still waiting for the Boston Bruins preseason to start, and for the PROVIDENCE Bruins to stop using the B's planes and ice time. If Sullivan knows the Providence Bruins so well, one would think that he need not bring up Gellard. Or that it is obvious that Kutlak won't be in the lineup opening night no matter what a good call-up guy he is. Why should Toivonen go down and then come up? Zino isn't the second coming of Fedorov, so why make the poor guy exhaust himself? He should be with the AHL. Samuelsson goes down and comes up? Bergeron is terrific, but man...isn't it clear that we'd be better off getting Ronning and letting this kid grow??? Do MOC and Sully talk at all??? Yeah, play Hilbert and his injured groin: those things just heal by themselves, especially when you're on the ice. I'm glad Boynton isn't back...he'd only get frustrated.

I guess our fearless captain doesn't need to show up as long as Sully isn't going to play a line-up that approaches an NHL lineup. Having Huml, Bergeron, Jurcina and Jillson (and ONE of Raycroft or Toivonen) in there at this point is reasonable. Now we have three games to go before the season starts and this team is in a shambles. We can't score, we can't defend, and we have no idea who should be in net. Way to go MOC for giving Sully no idea where he should lead this team! Sully's not going to take this team to the next level unless MOC gives him the tools. This team blows right now.

Guess what, when you play an AHL line up you can't figure out who is any good because everyone is getting their butts kicked. Yay! How is Jurcina going to learn positioning when the D lineup just flat out stinks.
We barely beat MTL twice (they outshot us...no Toivonen, no win)
We got our noses rubbed into it by PIT
NYI blew us out of the water
and DET skated us into next week.

Let's hope Sullivan purges Boston of its AHL roster today. Let's see a probable NHL lineup next game.

Old
09-28-2003, 06:27 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

I have to admit, I was quite perplexed when Toivonen was called up to backup Shields, then ended up playing the first two periods. He played great, but why the callup?

I really thought the announcers made a mistake, when they said Gellard's name. I have to admit, this up and down business has me confused as well.

Have you noticed that certain veteran's of the team seem to be getting more playing time? Or is it just me?

Defense is just plain awful. Offense couldn't hit the ocean with the puck.

Old
09-28-2003, 08:26 PM
AcidMage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rhian
Offense couldn't hit the ocean with the puck.

I'm still waiting for the "real" team to play an entire game.
Athough I must admit it sounds pretty scary out there from what I've read so far.

Old
09-29-2003, 03:01 AM
Stock Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbsfan
I'm still waiting for the Boston Bruins preseason to start, and for the PROVIDENCE Bruins to stop using the B's planes and ice time. If Sullivan knows the Providence Bruins so well, one would think that he need not bring up Gellard. Or that it is obvious that Kutlak won't be in the lineup opening night no matter what a good call-up guy he is. Why should Toivonen go down and then come up? Zino isn't the second coming of Fedorov, so why make the poor guy exhaust himself? He should be with the AHL. Samuelsson goes down and comes up? Bergeron is terrific, but man...isn't it clear that we'd be better off getting Ronning and letting this kid grow??? Do MOC and Sully talk at all??? Yeah, play Hilbert and his injured groin: those things just heal by themselves, especially when you're on the ice. I'm glad Boynton isn't back...he'd only get frustrated.

I guess our fearless captain doesn't need to show up as long as Sully isn't going to play a line-up that approaches an NHL lineup. Having Huml, Bergeron, Jurcina and Jillson (and ONE of Raycroft or Toivonen) in there at this point is reasonable. Now we have three games to go before the season starts and this team is in a shambles. We can't score, we can't defend, and we have no idea who should be in net. Way to go MOC for giving Sully no idea where he should lead this team! Sully's not going to take this team to the next level unless MOC gives him the tools. This team blows right now.

Cameron Mann once led the Bruins in scoring during the preseason- was that outstanding performance in the preseason an accurate reflection of his talent and ability in the end? Fuggedaboudit!

If the Bruins were 6-0, people would be saying "It's just the preseason...let's see what happens when the games count!" But since the B's are struggling, the sky is falling. Damned if you do, damned if you don't around here.

I distinctly remember a lot of bandwagon jumpers who hurt themselves while leaping on the B's train early last season, and then jumping off in January when things went south. Some things never change.

I'm just going to take things as they come without overanalyzing every little aspect of what hasn't gone right. Yes, things look poor right now, and in all honesty- my expectations aren't high. But when else do you get a read on this minor league/fringe players if you aren't going to give them a shot to play in the exhibition season? And why are we all over Sullivan before the season has even started? And why are we sweating the fact that Toivonen was called up and sent down?

We all knew that this team wasn't going to be among the league's elite, so why are we surprised that they aren't setting the world on fire in games that don't count? Furthermore, where did a 4-0 perfect record in the preseason get the New England Patriots? Are they 6-2 right now? No! They're 2-2.

I'll give the Bruins a solid month of regular season play to see what they do or don't accomplish before starting in with the Chicken Little routine.

Old
09-29-2003, 05:11 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Chicken

I don't think that the team is doomed, and I expect us to make the playoffs. However, the Boston Bruins with some prospects in tow haven't even played one preason game yet. This has been the Providence Bruins featuring guest stars Sean O'Donnell and Brian Rolston. Every Ranger line had at least two starters on it. That's what it takes. Prospects can't show off their NHL potential if they're scurrying around with fellow AHLers inable to control the play outside of committing needless penalties. No other NHL team to my knowledge is playing their prospects as much as Boston, and it shows a committment to mediocrity in the present, not the greatness in the future.

Old
09-29-2003, 05:58 AM
psuthornton

Send a message via AIM to psuthornton
What is the point of preseason???

You are upset that we are playing are prospects in preseason?? Why does this upset you? Do we need re-affirmation that Thornton, Samsonov, and the others can play? Why have them out there busting their rear ends, and risking injury, to win a MEANINGLESS game? This is the perfect situation for evaluating the prospects we have in the system right now.

Old
09-29-2003, 05:59 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
I don't think that the team is doomed, and I expect us to make the playoffs. However, the Boston Bruins with some prospects in tow haven't even played one preason game yet. This has been the Providence Bruins featuring guest stars Sean O'Donnell and Brian Rolston. Every Ranger line had at least two starters on it. That's what it takes. Prospects can't show off their NHL potential if they're scurrying around with fellow AHLers inable to control the play outside of committing needless penalties. No other NHL team to my knowledge is playing their prospects as much as Boston, and it shows a committment to mediocrity in the present, not the greatness in the future.
I know where you are coming from, believe me, and I share your frustration. But a lot of teams actually are playing their youth, we just haven't seem much of them. Playing teams stacked with vets like NYR & DET has only made it look as if most teams are dressing established players, but a quick scan of pre-season game rosters will say otherwise.

NHL rules say at least 10 NHLers must dress for any one pre-season game, and many teams are taking advantage of it this year by dressing the minimum. Their strategy of assessing youth has been preceeded by their decision to hold back on UFA signings, believing that if they can bring in some kids, the long term payoff will not only be on the roster, but the bottom line. Young players by far are cheaper than UFAs, and a cheaper payroll is top priority as teams head to a potential cap.

Old
09-29-2003, 06:04 AM
Black Eye

vCash:
The Bruins are in a rebuilding mode.

There are these options:

1) Either they can go with the younger players now and someday they will be a pretty good team, potentially.
2) They can fill up the roster with average players to "win now." That is pointless, that won't fool me.
3) They can stock up, ala Dallas or NYR, with big names to try to "win now." That isn't even a possibility.

Of these 3 choices, only 2 of which are realistic for October 2003, I'll go with #1. The implication though, is that there's no point in lamenting every preseason loss and misstep. This is a team that is finding itself and has plenty of roster adjustment to do after this year. To get all frustrated before the first game will just get one all aggravated and is to miss the point that it's not about RIGHT NOW these days. The NYI and Edmonton Oilers were really bad teams before their dynasties began.

The bottom line to me is that there's no way to suss out this team without watching them for 20 games or so in the regular season. We just don't know and that's why they play the games. Beyond that, chances are that the team is rebuilding and will have good and bad nights and that's just the way it is. I'm on board with this reality as long as I see a couple players getting a chance and not the likes of Ted Donato sucking up ice time to no useful effect.

My main focus, when it comes to criticizing the team going forward, will be how well they keep the nucleus of young players together. If they do this, things will eventually be fine.

Old
09-29-2003, 06:43 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye
The Bruins are in a rebuilding mode.

There are these options:

1) Either they can go with the younger players now and someday they will be a pretty good team, potentially.
2) They can fill up the roster with average players to "win now." That is pointless, that won't fool me.
3) They can stock up, ala Dallas or NYR, with big names to try to "win now." That isn't even a possibility.

Of these 3 choices, only 2 of which are realistic for October 2003, I'll go with #1. The implication though, is that there's no point in lamenting every preseason loss and misstep. This is a team that is finding itself and has plenty of roster adjustment to do after this year. To get all frustrated before the first game will just get one all aggravated and is to miss the point that it's not about RIGHT NOW these days. The NYI and Edmonton Oilers were really bad teams before their dynasties began.

The bottom line to me is that there's no way to suss out this team without watching them for 20 games or so in the regular season. We just don't know and that's why they play the games. Beyond that, chances are that the team is rebuilding and will have good and bad nights and that's just the way it is. I'm on board with this reality as long as I see a couple players getting a chance and not the likes of Ted Donato sucking up ice time to no useful effect.

My main focus, when it comes to criticizing the team going forward, will be how well they keep the nucleus of young players together. If they do this, things will eventually be fine.
Two things bother me:

1. Half the roster will be UFAs next summer. With the Bruins leading the charge agains the NHLPA by their consistent bottom line philosophies and desire to 'bootstrap' the rest of the league, I'm really not sure whether Murray, Rolston, McGillis, O'Donnell or anyone else of payroll consequence will return. The bottom line is Bruins need at least 3 or 4 of those guys back because the roster simply cannot be without the veteran presence and experience. There will be no player older than 31 on the team. But for someone to get asked back, that could mean offering 2 or 3+ year deals at a time the B's will hardly be doling out cash. Unfortunately, I see other teams being more willing than Boston, and I believe it's about guaranteed that at least a few teams will look to scoop up some good players. There always is. To me this is a huge question, but one that's been in the making because of the Bruins policies. I just hope they know what they are doing.

2. Honestly, aside from Bergeron, Toivonen and maybe Jillson, Huml & Raycroft, not many of the kids have stood out in camp so far. It also seems that only the latter three are ready to make the jump to the NHL. While it looks like there have been good showings here and there by Zinovjev, Jurcina, Brennan etc, it still hasn't seemed like enough to have the Bruins oozing with talent. So while it looks like most will be shipped to the minors, that certainly doesn't mean all hope is lost. It's just that the pre-season excitment is wearing off a bit and that some of these players may not be as ready as people had hoped. Whether they step up later this season or next season is the question. I believe many will, but how good they eventually become is far from decided.

So between the pending UFAs and the unsure impact of the prospects, I think there's a possibility that the Bruins could be in "rebuild" or "patch up" mode for years to come. Their only hope to avoid that is with a visionary plan that includes shrewd planning and exceptional talent assessment. If the Bruins lock up Murray, Rolston and McGillis while snatching up a well rounded UFA who fits nicely into the plans, then that would be a good step. Then if some of the prospects develop into impact players as hoped, that could go a long ways towards filling out the roster. But, there's a lot of time and space between here and there, and still, the B's will need the right mix of players. This is where the judgment comes in that I keep talking about. To that end, I don't have much trust for O'Connell, not after a string of terrible decisions regarding UFAs, Shields, the `02 playoff defense and so forth.

Funny, but if this season goes down the crapper, maybe it will be a good thing. JJ keeps saying "we'll see how my management does," perhaps this will be the motivation he needs to make a change. Maybe then we get a guy like Lou Lamoriello brought to town, or a person who seems to know much better about what kind of roster it takes to get to the finals. O'Connell has done a good job in many respects, but this isn't one of them.

Old
09-29-2003, 07:03 AM
Black Eye

vCash:
Yes, the jury will be out some time on these kids.

But part of the reality is that it can take even the best of them anywhere from 2-5 years to reach the NHL lineup. The fact that they may not look good in camp this year should not discourage one too much about the future. I mean, it does not bother me too much that Morrisonn may not be quite ready.

Unfortuntely, this rebuilding process could take another 2-3 years to yield even moderately decent results. But I'd much rather see this painful period than see them continue to employ a roster full of cast offs and mediocre players from other teams. Things will only get better if they commit to the future for real.

As always, I am skeptical about whether there is a real plan in place, even though I'm intimating the team is consciously "rebuilding," and whether they'll follow through on the project. But only time will tell.

Old
09-29-2003, 07:17 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye
Yes, the jury will be out some time on these kids.

But part of the reality is that it can take even the best of them anywhere from 2-5 years to reach the NHL lineup. The fact that they may not look good in camp this year should not discourage one too much about the future. I mean, it does not bother me too much that Morrisonn may not be quite ready.

Unfortuntely, this rebuilding process could take another 2-3 years to yield even moderately decent results. But I'd much rather see this painful period than see them continue to employ a roster full of cast offs and mediocre players from other teams. Things will only get better if they commit to the future for real.

As always, I am skeptical about whether there is a real plan in place, even though I'm intimating the team is consciously "rebuilding," and whether they'll follow through on the project. But only time will tell.
Totally agree. It will take time for the prospects to develop and reach their potential, and there needs to be patience. The key is, as you said, the underlying plan for success. This is where past experience and questionable judgment makes me suspicious.

Also, it looks like the Bruins are on a 3-5 year plan. By next summer, several veterans could be replaced with kids. I do expect to see a few back, but with the number of UFAs Boston has on hand combined with the unsure nature of the CBA, it's quite possible the Bruins are remade after the league resumes post CBA. After that, it will take another year of assessment, then more retooling. Right there that's at least two more seasons until the B's even get close. Then, they will be heavily reliant on how well some of the kids do transitioning into key positions, such as goal, defense and center. Any hang ups, and the B's may have to go to plan B, which may or may not involve set backs (this is where the judgment comes in again).

If the Bruins can stop their bad habit of taking a step back every year they make progress, then perhaps over these next three years, they can actually move forward enough to ascend into a higher level of contention. Still, that will probably involve three more seasons of trial and error. At that point, the B's may or may not have enough pieces in place to be ready for a serious cup run. Honestly speaking, after what the Bruins started with in 1997. I don't have much faith in their ability to churn out winning teams, but -- I still hope I am proven wrong. In any event, a key point of their strategy must be to build around their core of Thornton, Samsonov, Boynton, Axelsson and whoever else that carries the team. I do believe they have a chance to make a winner, but they will have to play their cards right - and that means astutely reading the market, signing the right guys, effectively assessing their talent, building the right pairings and combos, and placing the cup at the top of the priority list...

Old
09-29-2003, 07:25 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBruinmaker
[One of the things that] bothers me:

...half the roster will be UFAs next summer. With the Bruins leading the charge agains the NHLPA by their consistent bottom line philosophies and desire to 'bootstrap' the rest of the league, I'm really not sure whether Murray, Rolston, McGillis, O'Donnell or anyone else of payroll consequence will return. The bottom line is Bruins need at least 3 or 4 of those guys back because the roster simply cannot be without the veteran presence and experience. There will be no player older than 31 on the team. But for someone to get asked back, that could mean offering 2 or 3+ year deals at a time the B's will hardly be doling out cash. Unfortunately, I see other teams being more willing than Boston, and I believe it's about guaranteed that at least a few teams will look to scoop up some good players. There always is. To me this is a huge question, but one that's been in the making because of the Bruins policies. I just hope they know what they are doing....
The Bs anticipate a new era of salary constraint coming out of the next CBA--which is not an unreasonable calculation--so they'll be able to resign most of these veterans at uninflated prices...

Old
09-29-2003, 07:32 AM
amazingcrwns
IBelieveThatWeWilWin

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers
The Bs anticipate a new era of salary constraint coming out of the next CBA--which is not an unreasonable calculation--so they'll be able to resign most of these veterans at uninflated prices...

True, they should be able to sign these players at uninflated prices as long as the players want to play here. Some of these players might feel they have been treated unfairly and would walk at their first opportunity no matter what the market is.

Old
09-29-2003, 08:19 AM
Black Eye

vCash:
I'll freely admit that the Bruins are taking a big gamble. They are positioning themselves for a particular post-CBA landscape. If that materializes, they could be one of the up and coming young clubs. If things don't change substantively... I don't know what that means. Probably that they'll have the same difficulty with young players who become stars or who command more money that they've been having the past 5 years. It's a swing for the fences approach. If the CBA does pan out like they want it to, they will be further along with realigning themselves to the new system than most teams. After 2004, the balance of power could shift to teams like Ottawa, Atlanta, Columbus, Boston and maybe even Buffalo.

But like I said... who really knows.

Old
09-29-2003, 09:32 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers
One thing you are forgetting -- these players become free agents on July 1, 2004, and the CBA does not expire until Sept 1, 2004. In essence, the 'uninflated' prices will not take effect until after the new CBA is in effect, thereby leaving a two month window for those teams who are aggressive enough to spend on whoever they like.

I don't think there will be major shopping sprees, and I do believe there will be downward pressure on UFA salaries, but as always, I believe there will be at least a few teams who think they can be opportunistic by grabbing certain available players. With Murray & Rolston both making rather cheap money, either could be offered a 3+year deal at $4M or more per annum and could jump ship.

Of course, as amazingcrwns said, any player who the B's had interested in would have to want to come back...

Old
09-29-2003, 12:50 PM
Gary

1. Half the roster will be UFAs next summer. With the Bruins leading the charge agains the NHLPA by their consistent bottom line philosophies and desire to 'bootstrap' the rest of the league, I'm really not sure whether Murray, Rolston, McGillis, O'Donnell or anyone else of payroll consequence will return. The bottom line is Bruins need at least 3 or 4 of those guys back because the roster simply cannot be without the veteran presence and experience. There will be no player older than 31 on the team. But for someone to get asked back, that could mean offering 2 or 3+ year deals at a time the B's will hardly be doling out cash. Unfortunately, I see other teams being more willing than Boston, and I believe it's about guaranteed that at least a few teams will look to scoop up some good players. There always is. To me this is a huge question, but one that's been in the making because of the Bruins policies. I just hope they know what they are doing.

half the players in the league will be UFAs next summer. it's not just the bruins...one year contracts are all thats being offered out there this year it seems like. klee/niewendyk...leafs are doing it too...only the minority arent

Old
09-29-2003, 01:14 PM
Jeff from Maine

Gary...

Gary...the type of player is different.

Klee and Joe N are 2 guys who are CLEARLY on their way down! Their better days are WAY behind them.

Murray, Rolston, O`Donnell and McGillis represent our CORE. That is a HUGE difference from fringe guys who are taling their last shot at NHL duty.

Later

Old
09-29-2003, 01:22 PM
Jeff from Maine

My Thoughts on The Preseason Lack Of Success

Personally, I could care les about preseason records. They mean jack crap.

BUT, that is not the same as caring about the preseason, which I do.

I care about the preseason, because thats when you establish your WORK ETHIC, your teams IDENTITY and your starting MOMENTUM!

And thus far, I see little progress in those areas. We in no way, shape, or form can even pretend to have any cohesive system in place. We are so disjointed and out of sync its not even funny!

Too many guys (vets) are going through the motions. We talk about a "sense of urgency" and we dont have one. I would think that a team coming off of 2 straight embarassing seasons would have their noses to the grindstone, and would be busting ass on EVERY shift right now!

This team has underachieved for 2 straight playoffs and teams like that HAVE to have a sense of urgency in their step. The vets should be playing the games with some sort of intensity to show the young guys what needs to be done.

I am very disappointed in what appears to be a lack of emotion or caring. It doesnt seem like being a Champion is all that important to these guys. Being a Bruin used to mean something. I`m not sure that ANY of these guys care about that anymore.

You want to come out of the gate strong and fast. You want to be firing on all cylinders right off the bat. The points you give away in the first 3 weeks of October are just as damaging as the points you give away in February.

And I dont see us as being prepared for these October games!

Later

Old
09-29-2003, 03:26 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary
half the players in the league will be UFAs next summer. it's not just the bruins...one year contracts are all thats being offered out there this year it seems like. klee/niewendyk...leafs are doing it too...only the minority arent
That's not correct. Check the rosters. There will be plenty of free agents, but not many teams have half their roster going on the free market, let alone a high number of top players. Here's a quick hit list of the top skaters (top-9 F's, top-4 D's, #1 G's) that I could dig up. Some will be tendered by their teams prior to July 1, 2004:

CENTERS
- Brian Rolston*
- Josef Stumpel
- Craig Conroy
- Alexei Zhamnov
- Andrei Nikolishin
- Peter Forsberg
- Mike Sillinger
- Tyler Wright
- Yanic Perreault
- Greg Johnson
- Keith Primeau
- Michael Nylander
- Joe Nieuwendyk

LEFT WINGS
- Paul Kariya (under league avg)
- Rob Niedermayer
- Sami Kapanen
- Scott Thornton
- Dallas Drake
- Gary Roberts
- Darcy Tucker
- Steve Konowalchuk

RIGHT WINGS
- Glen Murray*
- Mike Knuble*
- Scott Young
- Ziggy Palffy
- Niklas Sundstrom
- Scott Walker
- Alexei Kovalev
- Daniel Alfredsson
- Mark Recchi
- Teemu Selanne
- Scott Mellanby

DEFENSEMEN
- Sean O'Donnell*
- Dan McGillis*
- Alexei Zhitnik
- Sean Hill
- Jon Klemm
- Richard Matvichuk
- Nicklas Lidstrom
- Chris Chelios
- Mathieu Schneider
- Jason Smith
- Steve Staios
- Stephane Quintal
- Scott Niedermayer
- Adrian Aucoin
- Roman Hamrlik
- Janne Niinimaa
- Teppo Numminen
- Mike Rathje
- Chris Pronger
- Al MacInnis
- Jassen Cullimore
- Chris Therien
- Sergei Gonchar
- Ken Klee

GOALIES
- Felix Potvin*
- Sean Burke
- Nikolai Khabibulin
- Patrick Lalime
- Johan Hedberg
- Ed Belfour

*Bruins = 6
Leafs = 5
Blues = 4
Stars = 4
Avalanche = 3
Wings = 3
Flyers = 3
Blackhawks = 3
Capitals = 3
Islanders = 3
Canadiens = 3
Lightning = 2
Kings = 2
Oilers = 2
Senators = 2
Coyotes = 2
Sharks = 2

Old
09-29-2003, 10:07 PM
nhlbruin

it's the preseason! that's what it's for! the nhlers get into game condition and flow while the rookies and bubble players get a chance to show their stuff. you don't see a lineup close to what will be the opening night lineup until the last few games. this is standard practice....it's like this every year! why so surprised?

Old
09-30-2003, 01:06 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Are you sure about this? Have you looked at boxscores and tallied up the minutes and found out that the Bruins are playing their non NHLers significantly more than other teams? Until you do, what you think happens doesnt pass muster.

As far as playing prospects in the preseason with a new coach it is just a way of getting a feel for the assetts he has to work with....that *is* what preseason is really for.

Old
09-30-2003, 01:18 PM
Jeff from Maine

nhlbruin

nhlbruin,

I dont buy that getting into "game condition" thing. I`m not taking a shot at you, just making a comment.

The days of using preseason to get into shape/condition, went out the door 10 years ago!

Players of today have to stay on top of their conditioning 24/7/365.

These guys today, take about 3 weeks off in the summer where they get away from their conditioning routine. They HAVE to do it this way! Only the losers and the guys who take something for granted come to camp out of shape.

Sure, camp IS tough for a short number of days. But after about 3 days, these guys are fine. It takes athletes like these guys less than a week of practice time to get almost completely into midseason form.

Later

Closed Thread