HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lottery Not Televised which leads to rumors about the "fix" being in

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2005, 07:01 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

vCash: 500
Lottery Not Televised which leads to rumors about the "fix" being in

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/jay_onrait.asp

This doesnt sound good. If NY or Chicago win the lottery i think people will think the fix is in. If Pittsburgh, Carolina, or Buffalo win i dont think anyone will suspect the fix is in. Either way the NHL can avoid all this by televising the dam thing.

BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Smells fishy to me!

Old
07-19-2005, 07:05 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machoking2003-04
http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/jay_onrait.asp

This doesnt sound good. If NY or Chicago win the lottery i think people will think the fix is in. If Pittsburgh, Carolina, or Buffalo win i dont think anyone will suspect the fix is in. Either way the NHL can avoid all this by televising the dam thing.

BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Smells fishy to me!
I wouldn't worry about it. The NHL will not fix the lottery. The last thing they need right now is an investigation into the validity of the draft after a canceled season and a year's worth of mudslinging and awful press.

P.S. Has the lottery ever been televised? If it has, I've never seen one.

Old
07-19-2005, 08:17 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
I wouldn't worry about it. The NHL will not fix the lottery. The last thing they need right now is an investigation into the validity of the draft after a canceled season and a year's worth of mudslinging and awful press.

P.S. Has the lottery ever been televised? If it has, I've never seen one.
Good point. The NBA lottery is never televised and the NBA is MUCH bigger here in the USA.

Old
07-19-2005, 08:19 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99
Good point. The NBA lottery is never televised and the NBA is MUCH bigger here in the USA.
Yeah I was wondering the same thing. The NBA has the a show where they announce the results of the lottery but not the lottery itself.

Old
07-19-2005, 08:40 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Yeah I was wondering the same thing. The NBA has the a show where they announce the results of the lottery but not the lottery itself.
Yes, and this seems to be what the columnist wants. So how exactly does having some sort of hoopla around the announcing of the results make the lottery more legitimate?

This entire "televise the lottery or it's fixed" notion is just stupid. First of all, there should be representatives from the NHL teams at the lottery. They won't stand by and let it be fixed. Second, what makes people think that some jackass sitting on his couch in his boxers is going to be able to spot something fishy in the lottery better than people that are actually in the room? Third, no sports league as ever televised the actually lottery. They've televised results, but what good does that do? The lottery always takes place behind closed doors.

Old
07-19-2005, 08:46 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
Yes, and this seems to be what the columnist wants. So how exactly does having some sort of hoopla around the announcing of the results make the lottery more legitimate?

This entire "televise the lottery or it's fixed" notion is just stupid. First of all, there should be representatives from the NHL teams at the lottery. They won't stand by and let it be fixed. Second, what makes people think that some jackass sitting on his couch in his boxers is going to be able to spot something fishy in the lottery better than people that are actually in the room? Third, no sports league as ever televised the actually lottery. They've televised results, but what good does that do? The lottery always takes place behind closed doors.

I agree. I also think that an unweighted lottery would be easier to fix.

Old
07-19-2005, 08:47 AM
TXNYR

I also believe that as stupid as the NHL has been, it isn't stupid enough to fix the draft.

But what happens if the Rangers do win the first pick "fair and square"? God, can you imagine the conspiracy theories?

Old
07-19-2005, 09:24 AM
Larry Melnyk

Fix or no Fix (either one is fine by me), Crosby as a Ranger will be good for all involved..The Rangers, their fans, and the League---Crosby is needed in the States and in a high profile city ...So why not Columbus or Buff? Because it also gives the fans of other teams and HF posters even more reason to hate the diabolical New York Rangers, and the league needs as much passion as it can get.....But seriosuly, doubt it will be fixed, but maybe this is where the worm turns..Crosby will be a Ranger....And then tear his ACL on opening night..

Old
07-19-2005, 09:31 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
and then tear his ACL on opening night..
I'll take a piece of that bet.

Old
07-19-2005, 09:37 AM
MojoJojo

Why NOT televise it? The NHL could use any and all publicity it can get to attract the fans back. The only reason I can think is that they want to maximize the impact of Crosby on the league, ie he would be wasted in Nashville or Columbus, but could turn around a franchise like Edmonton or the Rangers.

Old
07-19-2005, 10:34 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

What if the League has already decided the order?

What if the BOG and bettman have already sat down and said, lookm if we are going to come back from this mess we need the kid in NY? What if they signed on and just announce that they held the lottery and here is the order? it is a private partnership, its minutes do not have to be made public, in fact what if there were no minutes kept of the meeting? It is not all that far fetched. The MLS does it all the time. They assign players where they feel it will benefit the league the most.

Old
07-19-2005, 10:36 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Not televising this is a bad idea.

by the way i remember when the orlando magic won the lottery back in 1993 when they had a 2% chance of winning and only one ping pong ball. The Magic GM took a famous photo with the one ping pong ball that was blue and said "magic" on it in his mouth.

WOnder how much the crosby ping pong ball will go for on ebay???

Old
07-19-2005, 10:37 AM
Levitate

i don't see that happening...

Old
07-19-2005, 10:37 AM
Choice

anyone know what time the lottery is at on thursday and when they wil announce it?

Old
07-19-2005, 10:42 AM
Levitate

kind of sounds like they won't announce anything until friday, when they'll do the whole shebang

Old
07-19-2005, 10:52 AM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Send a message via AIM to ECL
If we get #1 I hope we take Luc Bourdon.

Screw everyone else.

Old
07-19-2005, 10:57 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveille!
If we get #1 I hope we take Luc Bourdon.

Screw everyone else.
Okay, step away from the keyboard, turn off the monitor, and let the healing begin. Easy now...

Old
07-19-2005, 10:59 AM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Hahaha.

I'm still partially drunk from last night. Oh dear.

Old
07-19-2005, 11:06 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Why NOT televise it? The NHL could use any and all publicity it can get to attract the fans back. The only reason I can think is that they want to maximize the impact of Crosby on the league, ie he would be wasted in Nashville or Columbus, but could turn around a franchise like Edmonton or the Rangers.
Yea because that 2 minutes of publicity would do wonders. On T.V. or not..its not a big deal.

Old
07-19-2005, 11:21 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
In order to televise it you need to convince the networks that the masses will watch such an event. You know ratings? they count. The NBA hasn't been able to convice them that the masses want to watch a bunch of ping pong balls bouncing around in a sphere, so what makes you believe that the almost dead NHL can convince the networks.

Old
07-19-2005, 11:29 AM
94now

I think MSG could do TV-ing of the event. They have nothing to run anyway. ESPN and majors? I doubt they replace incredibly popular pocker programs with NHL lottery. And besides, what are you going to show anyway? Draft is somewhat boring, but there at least people get to see the proud young kid faces, tearing parents, etc. There's not much to show on the lottery.

Old
07-19-2005, 12:00 PM
pld459666

Why would folks automatically say the fix is on

if the Rangers win the Lottery behind closed doors.

Is it because deep down they know the league would be better off and hope that the NHL brass has missed that point?

Or is their hatred so strong that if we happen to be bestowed with some luck and fortune they can't accept that and have to find yet another reason to throw sticks and stones our way.

For all of you non Rangers Fans, I hope the FIX is on and the Rangers do get the 1st overall. if having a sucessful Rangers team would be the worst that could happen to you then I wish that on all haters.

Just like Pittsburgh tanked the last month of the season to nab Mario (I know they didn't really tank it) I hope the NHL does the RIGHT thing and awards Crosby's rights to the New York Rangers.

Old
07-19-2005, 12:21 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now
I think MSG could do TV-ing of the event. They have nothing to run anyway. ESPN and majors? I doubt they replace incredibly popular pocker programs with NHL lottery. And besides, what are you going to show anyway? Draft is somewhat boring, but there at least people get to see the proud young kid faces, tearing parents, etc. There's not much to show on the lottery.
It also cost money to broadcast. Money that is probably not well spent.

Old
07-19-2005, 01:01 PM
rickyrod

the conspiracy theories will be the funnest part about being a rangers fan over the next few weeks if we actually win the top spot(which i highly doubt we will), anyway.

Old
07-19-2005, 01:38 PM
Hire Sather
Still Good Enough

Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
I'll take it. I don't care. Fix it and give us Crosby.

Closed Thread